worst comment ever made about your weight

Options

Replies

• DarkNebula84
    DarkNebula84 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    When I was in grade school I was told I could not go to a birthday party because I was fat.

My ex bf told me his ex wife was better than me because she was thinner

I was standing in front of the TV doing something and my 4 yr old said "Mom please move you are way too big to be standing there!" He didnt know better but he sure does tell the truth and it sure hurt the most!!

But the best thing I have ever been told is about my weight was when my fiance and I went xmas shopping and he saw a beautiful sweater and he asked if I wanted it....YES!! I asked him if he knew what size it was and he said it was a medium and I looked at him and said you really dont think I am fat do you? He replied with "No, too me you are just the most beautiful woman in the world and I have never seen you in that way....do you want the sweater or not?" Lol needless to say I am NOWHERE near a size medium :grumble:
  • 2012Sonya
    2012Sonya Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My overeating started when my twin was killed at 18. I remember trying to numb the pain with food.

I quickly gained weight through my 20's and my mom would always say ' you use to have the cutest
    little waist" or she would point out other girls who were thin and tell me how cute they were.

The meanest thing someone said to me was at Walmart.

The girl scouts were selling cookies at the front door and asked me if I wanted to buy some....I said " no thank you I am on a diet" ..... I felt happy that I had passed up the temptation.

I started walking away and a woman chased me down and yelled "so you are on a diet, well I have a good diet for you....DON'T EAT!! " And she stomped off!

I was so shocked at how cruel some people can be. Of course she was thin and had no idea the struggle I was having with my twins death and my addiction to food for comfort. :(
  • dreamzvt
    dreamzvt Posts: 96
    Options
    No matter how hard you try, you will never lose your *kitten*. Okay..... funny how that baby is shrinking now :)
  • letswalk
    letswalk Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    When I was 16 (and I only weighed about 150 at the time) a woman (stranger) put her hands ON MY BELLY (!!??!?!) and said "Don't worry. It looks like you're due any day now." I just looked at her and said "I'm not pregnant. First of all, I'm only 16, and secondly, I'm just fat. But thank you" and walked away. *****!
  • Myles_D23
    Myles_D23 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Wow from the posts I've read, there are alot of a hole people out there
  • prettylyzard
    prettylyzard Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    From my mother, of all people. I believe I was about 13 at the time (she doesn't remember/won't admit to ever saying this), & she was dragging me to Burger King for dinner (I have NEVER liked Burger King, & at that age it's not like I had that much of a say in where we ate...)

"There's a difference between 'neat' fat & 'sloppy' fat, & you're getting into sloppy territory"

The kicker? I weighed 125 & was 5'3.5". I've been the same height since I was 12, & I didn't get 'fat' until I was in grade 9 (125 turned into 175 in about 6 months)

ETA: Oh god, the floodgates opened.
    My mom's friend commented on how I always seemed to have a boyfriend. My mom said "It's because she's a *kitten*". I overheard & protested, & my mother replied with "Well, it's obvious they're not with you for your looks - no one likes fat girls"

You mom sucks!
  • SwimTheButterfly
    SwimTheButterfly Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I've got many, but they sorta make me laugh NOW, but NOT when it happened.

1. My MIL insisted we all go out to dinner to a restaurant with a clucking chicken sound when you opened the door, called 'Country Cousin'. It's a small place, she then exclaimed loudly: " WILL YOU BE ABLE TO FIT BEHIND THE TABLE???"

2. After losing weight, my mother exclaimed: "YOU ALMOST HAVE A WAIST!"

3. After losing 40lbs, my brother said: " I can tell you've lost weight, your double chin is ALMOST gone!"

4. In front of my WHOLE swim team in HIGH SCHOOL, my coach went down the lanes screaming out how much weight each of us needed to lose. Mine was the highest: "HE SCREAMED 20 lbs & stay away from CARBS."

5. Five minutes late to swim practice, I road my bike to school & practice, My swim coach screamed in front of everyone on deck, "GET YOUR FAT *kitten* DOWN & give me 25 for ever minute late".

6. Was browsing in Saks 5th Avenue, while visiting my father in San Francisco. My father's pharmacy was on the corner of Sutter & Powell in SF in Union Square. I loved to visit all the posh shops. I was so happy to actually see all the pretty things I had studied in my Vogue Magazine. I wore size 8 then, I wanted to try on a pair of Jeans..
    the salesperson said : "WHAT SIZE ARE YOU ?? SIZE 12, we don't carry such a LARGE SIZE!"

7. One of my co-workers, while I was working exclaimed: " OH PLEASE hunny, DRESS AGAIN You LOOK FAT in that LONG SKIRT."
  • Kristin_1979
    Kristin_1979 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    WOW!

You should say stuff back like...

* (be silent for a moment as if listening to some distant sound* and say...
    "HEY! Do you hear that??? I can literally hear your death clock ticking... You smell like death old woman."

* So tell me all about the time you and your family were SO excited and floored when man figured out fire!*

* Does your dress need serious ironing or are you naked?"

When she makes rude comments, put your hand to your ear and lean in and say...

*I'm sorry what did you just say? I couldn't hear you over the sound of your clicking bones*
  • MomMel65
    MomMel65 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My father when I was a teenager: "It's a good thing you're smart becuase no man will ever want to marry you" and "if you keep eating so many sweets, you won't fit through the door soon" - the last one was particularly ironic because he was a baker and kept bringing home the sweets.

My ex-husband: "I deserve to be with someone thin and pretty. Why am I wasting my life with you?" and "I married you because I knew a fat girl would never leave me." Thankfully he was WRONG... I kicked him to the curb 3 years ago. :smile:

Teachers: "No one expects you to be pretty because you're so smart."

Friends: "You were so much prettier when you were thin. What happened?"

But the absolute best has to be my mom on my wedding day: "You look so beautiful today. Too bad you're going to look like **** again tomorrow"

You are KIDDING ME?! Your PARENTS said those things??? Hope you kicked THEM to the curb, too.
  • smkafka
    smkafka Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    My brother would always call me spare tire Shelly! He drew a picture of a stick person with a tire in the middle on the garage wall and put my name next to it.

My husband has told me he is no longer attracted to me. Being married for almost 12 years and not having any kind of physical relationship for 11.5 years really hurts. Must be nice to never have to worry about weight. :cry:
  • Wouga
    Wouga Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    After having my first child I walked into a Victoria's Secret, the only place I had ever bought bras prior to having kids, and was told by the sales lady "you do realize we don't have anything in this store for someone as large as you" before she even knew why I had entered the store to begin with.
  • BrittanyFordham
    Options
    From ex wife:

* "You're so fat... you're wasting my youth! I am embarrassed to be seen with you"

* During sex, she stops me in the middle of it and runs to the toilet and starts gagging and then says I disgust her.

Random assorted things from the years

* Running at the park, I pass a slender girl in her 20s who is running ackwardly. One of those lucky people that obviously never really does any exercise or doesn't know how to run at the least, but stays looking in shape. Her boyfriend is in front of her and he sees me pass her and goes "oh no! HELL NO! There's no way you just let that fat f**k pass you! Get your *kitten* moving!" He was one of those alpha types with the gym rat bodies.

* Running at the park during soccer practice with my team. Group of college girls is running. One points at me and says "ewww look at his belly".

* Running at the park I pass a guy and his little girl who are running. She says "daddy why did you let the fat man pass you?" And he replies "shhhh honey we don't call people fat that's not nice"

* At the gym, I smiled at a girl who looked at me like I was a cockroach and said "dream on, I don't date fatties".

* At one of our irish pubs a couple years ago. I was standing waiting in line and this guy was trying to impress his college-aged girlfriend. He started making rude comments about how fat people need removed from the planet because they are in his way and taking up space and eating all of the food. The girl giggles.

* At the gym I was in a corner doing some dumbbell work and this precious Barbie with full make up is lifting with her boyfriend. She was seated next to the rack where the weights were. I was putting my weights away and had to move around her and she gets this annoyed look on her face, and then turns to her boyfriend and says in a mock-whisper (so that others can hear) "I can't stand going to the gym during this time, too many fat people here wasting everybody's time"

I have more. Those were the ones that stuck out this morning. Being fat is the equivalent of being a leper in the middle ages. It's pretty dehumanizing... but makes for great motivation and fuel for your workouts.

I can't believe anyone could be that cruel to you! I'm so sorry you've had to deal with that! I've been called fat before but thankfully nothing that cruel! Keep up the good work! :)
  • hillary124
    hillary124 Posts: 112
    Options
    This isnt really a direct comment, but still upset me. Whenever Id go clothes shopping with my mom (this still happens), and i try something on, she goes "that looks nice, but itll look nicer when you get down to 125." "I think that looks better on you when youre 125." "I think that looks good, but you might want the next size up. Unless you think you can eat right the next few weeks." UGH.
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I've never been bigger than overweight BMI, at one point slightly obese, and I feel lucky that I've escaped most of these terrible comments it seems like people are capable of dishing out, BUT there've been a few hurtful things:

* Ex-husband looking at pictures from when I was 18, saying, "I miss your cute body, I cry when I realize how different you are now"

* Ex-boyfriend wouldn't really engage sexually with me. I thought it was just his way, until I'd lost weight and he was suddenly very interested. Then he admitted he just wasn't "attracted to big girls" ... funny, I'd been "big" the whole time.

* Looking through family photos realizing that there just aren't very many of me from when I was larger, but a lot from when I was at my smallest. Thanks, Mom.

* Mom's always the bluntest, but she keeps it simple. "You've put on weight." She's also the last to acknowledge when I've lost it.

* An ex-boss I went to pick up something from "You've really packed away the pounds!" with a shocked face, like I'd gained 500 of them, when it was really more like 20.

* At my wedding, my sister saying I looked like a fluffy cloud. I know she meant the dress, but I could tell by her face that she immediately realized what she'd said and didn't correct or apologize, so...

Probably I'm just sensitive, but things like this sparked a pretty big tank in my self-esteem and has caused a little of a struggle with my eating habits. Never had a disorder or anything like that, but I definitely go through phases of depression-induced heavy restricting, thinking if I just get skinnier, life will be better... What a terrible way to think! You're perfect just the way you are. This is about health, not about pleasing anybody but yourself.

I feel so lucky to have my guy now. I gained 25 pounds from when we first started dating and he never said a WORD about it, and he never made me feel unattractive or not good enough. He has always been about health first. Ugh. There need to be more people like this in the world.
  • NamiObsidian
    Options
    I have been overweight since I was eight years old, and I remember this kid in 5th grade who said, "I'd be your friend if you weren't so ugly and fat!"

It may not seem all that bad now, but, being a 10-year-old girl, that was one of the most horrible things anyone could've said to me.

Also, my sister and dad (unintentionally) insult me because my dad is not overweight and my sister is only 10 pounds overweight, and my dad looks at old pictures of himself and calls himself names (he was never as heavy as I am, so it hurts me), and my sister always calls herself fat.

Sometimes, I get upset and yell at them and tell them that they don't know what fat is until they go over 300 pounds... Neither of them were even close to 250. I know that doesn't solve anything, but it makes me upset that they can call themselves fat and say that it "shouldn't insult me".
    From ex wife:

* "You're so fat... you're wasting my youth! I am embarrassed to be seen with you"

* During sex, she stops me in the middle of it and runs to the toilet and starts gagging and then says I disgust her.

* Running at the park, I pass a slender girl in her 20s who is running ackwardly. One of those lucky people that obviously never really does any exercise or doesn't know how to run at the least, but stays looking in shape. Her boyfriend is in front of her and he sees me pass her and goes "oh no! HELL NO! There's no way you just let that fat f**k pass you! Get your *kitten* moving!" He was one of those alpha types with the gym rat bodies.

* Running at the park during soccer practice with my team. Group of college girls is running. One points at me and says "ewww look at his belly".

* Running at the park I pass a guy and his little girl who are running. She says "daddy why did you let the fat man pass you?" And he replies "shhhh honey we don't call people fat that's not nice"

* At the gym, I smiled at a girl who looked at me like I was a cockroach and said "dream on, I don't date fatties".

* At one of our irish pubs a couple years ago. I was standing waiting in line and this guy was trying to impress his college-aged girlfriend. He started making rude comments about how fat people need removed from the planet because they are in his way and taking up space and eating all of the food. The girl giggles.

* At the gym I was in a corner doing some dumbbell work and this precious Barbie with full make up is lifting with her boyfriend. She was seated next to the rack where the weights were. I was putting my weights away and had to move around her and she gets this annoyed look on her face, and then turns to her boyfriend and says in a mock-whisper (so that others can hear) "I can't stand going to the gym during this time, too many fat people here wasting everybody's time"

I have more. Those were the ones that stuck out this morning. Being fat is the equivalent of being a leper in the middle ages. It's pretty dehumanizing... but makes for great motivation and fuel for your workouts.

I'm sorry that people have said such horrible things to you! They don't deserve to talk to someone as kind as I've seen you to be.
  • IseLedon
    IseLedon Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    From ex wife:

I know people can be cruel, but it is truly hard for me to see people saying some of what you typed.

I was called pleasantly plump in highschool, curvy and size 8 looks chubby no matter what.

Maybe it isn't something you could understand, unless you've been at the receiving end of such comments. People are most definitely that rude. I have been on the receiving end of comments just like that many many times..
  • chantellove
    chantellove Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Wow...some of these make me feel so sad about the human race. Seriously, what is wrong with people?!

Worst I got? I was called a "fat f**king hefer" by my husband. I was still about 20 pounds overweight - 3 months after giving birth to our second son.

So no surprise that I'm single now!

WHOA, that's so messed up. Talk about verbal abuse! Thank goodness you are not with him anymore!
  • NamiObsidian
    Options
    Wow...some of these make me feel so sad about the human race. Seriously, what is wrong with people?!

Worst I got? I was called a "fat f**king hefer" by my husband. I was still about 20 pounds overweight - 3 months after giving birth to our second son.

So no surprise that I'm single now!

WHOA, that's so messed up. Talk about verbal abuse! Thank goodness you are not with him anymore!

That's terrible! He didn't deserve a woman like you!
  • chantellove
    Options
    But the best thing I have ever been told is about my weight was when my fiance and I went xmas shopping and he saw a beautiful sweater and he asked if I wanted it....YES!! I asked him if he knew what size it was and he said it was a medium and I looked at him and said you really dont think I am fat do you? He replied with "No, too me you are just the most beautiful woman in the world and I have never seen you in that way....do you want the sweater or not?" Lol needless to say I am NOWHERE near a size medium :grumble:

Awwww, that is so nice...warm fuzzies!
  • chantellove
    Options
    I think my worst and most hurtful comment was made by my own Mother (who isn't slim herself but I guess knocks me down about my figure to feel better about hers)

It was a few years back now but she always used to take my younger (skinnier) sister out clothes shopping all the time and spoil her and come back with nothing for me. One day they came back with a smile on both faces saying she had purchased me something ... I was shocked and excited until she pulled out a scarf from the bag along with the comment " At least I know this scarf with fit it because nothing else does"

That comment still stays with me, it just really was uncalled for.

That is SO F*ING MEAN. I can't believe a mother could say something like that to her child. ugh.