Replies

• Lovely135
    Lovely135 Posts: 161
    Options
    when are u due?
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Ha. I was teased and everything all the way through high school. And onwards, I've had comments from job interviewers and all sorts about my weight. '

I learnt that if you have as big as personality as your body, people back down. If you over hear and stare at them for their comment, they usually blush and say omg idk why I said that. I usually take them down with some put down self deprecating comment. My favourite was when I was out walking along to my Ipod one day in the last year of school, and a couple of guys started mock jogging behind me trying to get around me on the pavement. I turned my music off, and heard one say 'Dyou think this one sank a battleship?' to which I replied; No, I'm the one that sank the titanic, and I'll squash you next if you don't get out of my way!' He got out of my way. The result with the force of character was that the guy stopped looking at me as a fatty and started seeing me as a person. It culminated six months later with him asking me out, much to his own shock as my own I think lol. Needless to say I refused. I was worth more then him.

Don't let them get away with it. To heck with politeness, shame and all those other social cues. You are out there trying to make a difference in your life, and if these other losers need a confidence boost/show off by making you look bad, then you go make em look bad in return.

@rk

<3<3<3
  • AssembledIncorrectly
    AssembledIncorrectly Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    when are u due?

Omg this one is frustrating!..Last Summer I was 15 lbs lighter (feeling good) then I am now, I was at a childs birthday party and was asked when I was due...when I replied I'm not I'm just fat he proceeded to argue with me about the fact that I was pregnant...Or this one time this lady goes so when are you due? I go excuse me and she completely says something different. I just looked at her and said I'm not pregnant I just had my baby...Ugh people!
  • crystal637
    Options
    "You look frail" I was never more insulted then at that moment. I worked hard to lose weight and I'm not at all frail. I'm fit and healthy. Comments about being under weight hurt just as much as comments about being over weight. It's always the people who are insecure about how they look that are ready to attack you. I normally don't take it personally but it was a really good friend who said it. He told me he was going to force feed me. Two other girls rudely agreed with him that I was frail. One was pregnant and the other could've stood to lose a few pounds. They should get their own bodies in order before commenting on mine. :angry:
  • jafy23
    jafy23 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    i went out for my best friends birthday last year and wore jeans and a nice dress shirt. and these girls walked by me and say wow if i looked like that i wouldnt go out in public.

or my family is always like uh shouldnt you be drinking water or diet pop. or are you sure you should eat that? it looks like you already had to much today. (when i havnt even eatin that day)

or i always feel like people are staring at me at the gym and personal trainers seem to get angry at me when im using the weight machine. well that is what i pay for is it now.

people are just *kitten* sometimes and its very fustrating and makes you feel so little
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Mine was at La Vie en Rose... I was getting a bra fitting. The girl helping me (who sees you topless and defenseless) said " I'm just not gonna finish this, because there is no way anything in this store will fit you..." I almost punched her in the face.
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Number 1: I remember one day when I went to my egg crate (we use these instead of locker) to get my lunch box and there was a white envelope inside. I opened it and it said,

"Dear fatty,

I hope someday you will realize how fat you are so you can stop pretending. Needless to say no one will every like you because you are so gross and ugly. I also hope you will kill yourself soon so everyone, including myself, can look around freely again without having to worry about seeing you.

DIE FATTY!,
    Skinny B*tch"

:sad: :sad: :sad:

When I got this letter I was only 13 and I wasn't even that big. That day I did think about killing myself but quickly pushed that thought aside because I knew I had so much to live for.This happened where I go for classes twice a week (and still go for them now). Ironically, we found out who sent this letter......... it was the 14 year old 250 pound chick. She was soon after expelled.

Number 2: This happened when I was about 13 or 14. My mom sent me to the other side of the grocery store to get some milk. When I was just grabbing it, I felt a tugging on my shirt. I turned around and it was a little girl. She said, "Excuse me, why are you so fat?". Standing there stunned, the little girls mother comes trotting up behind her and scoops her up. She then asks me what is the matter and I told her what she said. I was even more shocked when the mother responded, "I've taught my daughter to speak the truth and that is what she did." :brokenheart:

These are the two things that stick out the most. And the thing is, I wasn't even that fat. I was about 135ish, 5' 0". Chubby, but not fat. I have come to learn that some people are idiots and to ignore them. But I would be lying if I said it didn't get to me when I was young, with peer pressure and all.

Keep Calm and Carry On,
    Anna :flowerforyou:

(P.S sorry for the ramble :ohwell:)
  • tropaze
    tropaze Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Someone asked me if I was pregnant. I just answered "No, I'm fat." What else could I say? I wasn't pregnant, just fat. It didn't offend me or upset me, so much as remind me that I wasn't where I wanted to be.
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Number 1: I remember one day when I went to my egg crate (we use these instead of locker) to get my lunch box and there was a white envelope inside. I opened it and it said,

"Dear fatty,

I hope someday you will realize how fat you are so you can stop pretending. Needless to say no one will every like you because you are so gross and ugly. I also hope you will kill yourself soon so everyone, including myself, can look around freely again without having to worry about seeing you.

DIE FATTY!,
    Skinny B*tch"

When I got this letter I was only 13 and I wasn't even that big. That day I did think about killing myself but quickly pushed that thought aside because I knew I had so much to live for.This happened where I go for classes twice a week (and still go for them now). Ironically, we found out who sent this letter......... it was the 14 year old 250 pound chick. She was soon after expelled.

Number 2: This happened when I was about 13 or 14. My mom sent me to the other side of the grocery store to get some milk. When I was just grabbing it, I felt a tugging on my shirt. I turned around and it was a little girl. She said, "Excuse me, why are you so fat?". Standing there stunned, the little girls mother comes trotting up behind her and scoops her up. She then asks me what is the matter and I told her what she said. I was even more shocked when the mother responded, "I've taught my daughter to speak the truth and that is what she did." :brokenheart:

These are the two things that stick out the most. And the thing is, I wasn't even that fat. I was about 135ish, 5' 0". Chubby, but not fat. I have come to learn that some people are idiots and to ignore them. But I would be lying if I said it didn't get to me when I was young, with peer pressure and all.

Keep Calm and Carry On,

At 13, things like that can just be so damaging. I can't believe someone would write a note like that.

And I almost literally facepalmed at the grocery store story. Hey lady, how about teaching your daughter some manners and how to be a decent human being? Being truthful has a time and place...not just randomly calling people fat. -_-
  • dhmom02
    dhmom02 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    #1: When I was first dating my husband we went to visit his family and his grandfather (now 95 and, sadly, not well) went out to pick up his sister and drive her back to have dinner with all of us. She came through the door in her walker, and I walked up to her smiling, to greet her. She turned around and yelled, "Jack, she's not nearly as fat as you said she was!"

#2: 5 years ago, my husband and I were thrilled to find out we were expecting our first child together (my 2nd marriage and 2nd child, his first for both). Since it was right around the December holidays when I hit 3 months, we decided to invite all our parents and his siblings out to dinner at a wonderful restaurant. We all sat at this big round table, and I was absolutely giddy with happiness. We made a toast and said, "Congratulations, you're all going to be grandparents (or aunts etc.) again!" At first they were confused and thought it was my SIL who was pregnant. Then I said, "No, it's me!" and my dad (who is a sweetheart but just doesn't always, um, watch what he is saying), blurted out, "Oh, thank goodness! Your stepmom and I said that we were suprised at how you let yourself go."

But - on this topic, 2 other stories:

1. Years ago, after my first divorce, I suddenly just stopped eating. No appetite or desire for food for months (that had never happened before and never happened since). I lost 30 lbs in a few weeks, and dropped down to just 115 lbs and a size 2. I thought I looked great, but I think I received more unkind comments when I was "too thin" than I ever had when I was overweight. I see it happening now with my 14 yo son, he is very skinny and people have no problem telling him what a rail he is all the time. Luckily he lets it all just roll off.

2. My youngest son is only 4. A few months ago we were in a cupcake shop when a very large person wearing a red jacket stood in line next to us. My son said, "Mommy, that man looks just like a tomato! He is so faaa...." I quickly scooped him up and whispered in his ear that it wasn't nice to talk about other people and how they look, and how he shouldn't call someone fat. He looked down at his feet and thought for a minute, and then looked up at me and said, "Can I say pudgy instead?"
  • NatalieParmenter
    Options

"Dear fatty,

DIE FATTY!,
    Skinny B*tch"

Keep Calm and Carry On,

Oh my dear Anna... :noway:

Those two experiences must have been excruciating for you... I particularly felt for you in that incident at the grocery store with that mother talking about the "truth"! How incredibly impolite, inconsiderate and rude! Particularly at that tender age of 13-14.... a young girl's feelings are like fine precious crystal glass, that woman was NOT setting a good example to her precocious young child. Some people just don't get it do they? She should have apologised on her daughter's behalf and left it at that, silly woman!

I wish also that there had been some one there for that older 14 year old girl who verbally abused you in school... she seemed to have been venting her own insecurities about her own body image on to some one else because she herself couldn't handle it. I only hope she has been able to come out of her school years as emotionally accomplished as you have been! :flowerforyou:
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who's just shocked by the number of stories on here about employees in stores saying rude things? So much for customer service....
  • butterflymarks
    butterflymarks Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    My wife nor I have ever been "small" people, but neither have we allowed ourselves to get dangerously obese. Before we met and started dating, she went on a first (and last) date with a guy who thought he was God's gift to women. It was a blind date arranged by one of her friends. The guy met her at a popular restaurant and as soon as they sat down, he started in on her saying, "$30,000 or $40,000 would get rid of all that fat. Then you can start working on your face." She endured the meal and further comments, but the icing on the cake was when he demanded separate checks. He had the nerve to call her for another date. She said, "No need. I lost all the ugly weight I needed to lose when you got in your car and left the restaurant the other night. Don't bother calling again."

When we met and started dating, I never once thought about her weight. All I could think about was how lucky I was to be dating such a beautiful woman. Still, I would liked to have accidentally bumped into that guy some day just so I could personally tell him what a _______ he was. I guess I might ought to thank him! He had no idea that he was being cruel to one of the nicest, sweetest, and most loving women ever. And to think, he thought she'd want to go out with him again! It takes more than a tie and Italian loafers to make a gentleman!

This is adorable....
  • soon2b_1fitmama
    Options
    after i had my daughter.. several ppl said.
    "you will NEVER have a nice body again"
  • 00Riga00
    00Riga00 Posts: 34
    Options
    I'm glad she's an "ex" wife. No one deserves to be treated like that!
  • jessicataylor2
    Options
    In middle school there was this very overweight boy and he always told me that I was anorexic or bulimic. And when I'd deny it he'd tell me that it didn't matter because I was fat anyways. This was when I was too small and short to wear a 00 short without drowning in them. And then last year one of my pretty good guy friends told me that I'm so skinny until my stomach because it bulges out since it's always stuffed with food. I'm still not sure how he meant that...
  • Gemgems73
    Gemgems73 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have had the comments for years and its so upsetting. I used to be really skinny at school and always had plenty of male attention. Then in my late teens I developed a medical condition which resulted in me putting on around 130lbs over 8 years. Now that I know what is wrong I am able to do something about it, but my weight gain has never been about not exercising or eating badly.

Over the years I've had things from 'wide load coming through' from ugly guys in bars, to my own friends judging me when we are all out for dinner. The worst is definitely the friends and I don't think they even realise they do it. And my own mother doesn't help with comments like 'you have such a beautiful face, if only you would lose the weight you would be stunning'!

The one that sticks out recently is the sleazy guy in the office. Every time a new girl starts in our office he hangs around all the time, brings them presents of food and generally tries it on. It look me 6 months of working there to even get eye contact out of him in the kitchen! I think hes a jerk, but I'm still offended that I didn't even get a look in because of the way I look.

I've now lost over 3 stone so I'm getting back on track, but now I'm worried that if I meet a guy will he like me only because I'm thinner or would he have liked me anyway???
  • DerHaifisch
    Options
    When I was in fifth grade, I was literally one of the tallest girls in the school and weighed around 160 pounds. I had this so-called 'friend' who liked to make fat jokes. He called me "Sammi the hammy" for all of fifth and sixth grade. He also called my house once and called me a "beached whale." In seventh grade he gave me this note in the hallway that said something along the lines of "you killed your turtle for food because you ran out of stuff to eat." I was never self conscious until all his ignorant remarks.

When I was around 13 I went in Fashion Bug and was buying a Happy Bunny shirt. The lady at the register looked at me and asked "when are you due?" I said "I'm not pregnant." And she said something about how she thought the shirt I was getting was a maternity shirt. I don't think they even sold maternity clothes.

A couple months or so ago me and my mom were having a huge fight. She told me I was "so fat I was busting out of my clothes." She's always been heavy too and is a few sizes bigger than me. She also has terrible arthritis in her knees and can barely get around anymore. What she said really got to me because I'm at my heaviest weight and had just gained around 10 pounds from taking birth control so I was extra sensitive about my weight. I recently decided to go on a diet, partially because of her comment.
  • tracy1971x5
    Options
    at a wake last week .... sat at table with family and a couple of others and someone asked a lady how old she was ..she said 40 ..they turned and looked at me and said wow she looks great .. you look like **** compared to her !!nice ... another glass of wine was then sunk by me
  • KGFitnessGuru
    Options
    the worst comment I ever got was a co-worker in another department came up to me and asks me how I was, and then touch my stomach with her palm and asked me how far along I was.. I sat there in shock and told her I wasn't Pregnant, when I walked away I almost started to cry. The worst thing I ever gotten, and could ever get...