"I'm never getting married again."

Options

Replies

• judykritikos
    Options
    My husband had TWO of the worst divorces in history. Lost a home, a child and a business in those transactions. We met and started dating about 2 yrs after #2 was over, but still dealing with paperwork. After a year of dating I asked him point blank if he had any intentions of us marrying. He said possibly, but wasn't sure. He ws 100% committed and didn't feel marriage made any difference to his commitment. I said at that time if he saw marriage was NOT an option at all, then I would say thank you for wonderful times and move on. A year later I asked him the same question, and he said he was open to marriage, and the same 100% committment was there whether we were married or not. We got engaged and a year later we married. We've been together for 16 years.
    If he had a BAD divorce, and this relationship is w/in 2 years of that marriage ending, he's sour and hurt and is not open to jumping into another relationship. TAKE HIM AT HIS WORD. Don't be a typical woman who tries to take a square peg, saw off the 4 edges and make him fit the round hole.
    Something changed that made him say something that rude and cruel in front of her. My initial thought is this: He's told her this previoiusly, and typically - she's not LISTENING to what he's told her. Sorry to sound like a nag - but typically women do not listen to what men say....or they do, but chose to ignore it figuring with time they'll wear him down.
    My advice is if he still says ABSOLUTELY NO at this point, thank him for wonderful times, tell him you wish him well, mend your lost dreams, and look for someone who wants the same thing you do: a long, happy married relationship, and probably children. It's not going to be with this guy.
  • bcl003
    bcl003 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Also wanted to say we live in Texas where common law marriage is just like being married...
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Marriage isn't a be all, end all. That said, why should he pay off her debt? She incurred it, she should pay it. And he'd be liable for it if they marry.

He may be a ****, and not worth marrying. But the money seems to be the bigger point of contention.

Incur! Thank you! That's the word I was trying to remember. I knew accrue wasn't quite right.

Anyway, a prenup would take that issue off the table, but I'd still bet five dollars it isn't the only thing standing between those two and a wedding.
  • starcatcher1975
    starcatcher1975 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    lol @ people calling him names and disrespecting him in this thread.

Remember that when people you don't know do the same to you for being fat and outta shape.

;)

For the record, I said acting like an *kitten*...I don't know Johnny so I can't comment on whether or not he really is an *kitten*. But Jane said he was and she should know since she's dating him, lol
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Also wanted to say we live in Texas where common law marriage is just like being married...
    i live in texas too and its not the same because common law isnt a man and woman devoting themselves to each other through the act of marriage. Common law is usually the baby mama/ live in girl friend cop out. IJS.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    i live in texas too and its not the same because common law isnt a man and woman devoting themselves to each other through the act of marriage. Common law is usually the baby mama/ live in girl friend cop out. IJS.

^^^Wow...judgmental much. Talk about narrowmindedly blanketing an entire group of people.
  • beabelieve
    beabelieve Posts: 112
    Options
    Marriage ruins everything. Why do we need to get married? it really should be illegal. if you hhave all the above, why do u need a piece of paper to validate ur love?
  • emilynicole02
    emilynicole02 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    What is the point of dating then if there will never be a marriage? It's every girls dream to have that special day. If you love her, and that is the person you want to be with forever, why not get married?

i second this!
  • sassylm22
    sassylm22 Posts: 54
    Options
    How much she is willing to deal with and how long she wants to wait. I personally think life is to damn short for the BS and keep it moving. If he keeps saying that he's never getting married and been dating you for over a year than that means he doesnt want to marry her in particular period. So its not that he doesnt want to get married, its more like she's not the one because when it hits the man how much he cares and loves a woman he will marry her without hesitation. Using his past relationship is just an excuse for him. Everyone in one time or another had a bad break up or relationship. You learn and move on! I say this because i see it with most of my girlfriends and the nonsense they put up with and its just a waste of time. So tell your girlfriend she matters more, not him.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    When people tell you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

Definitely.
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I've said this myself. Swore up and down I would never get married again.

Then I met someone totally amazing that knocked me completely off my feet. Our relationship is only a few months old but in a few years if things are still going good I would totally ask her.

However, she doesn't believe in marriage either. I'm okay with that. Even if I wasn't jaded about marriage I would be okay with that. Because I love her, and the only thing that matters is that we have each other. I don't need a piece of paper from the state to bind her to me forever, she already has my heart and everything that comes with it.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    So many people bashing a guy they don't know based off of a one-sided story. So many senses of entitlement.

Here's the easy bottom line. Man or a woman, if you want to get married, then get with someone who also wants to get married. if you get with someone who does not want to get married, no matter what or why, then that's on you.
  • LavenderChamomile
    Options
    Guys, this is not a thread discussing the validity or ultimate importance of marriage as a whole. This is a thread asking for specific advice about a specific situation concerning specific people. Obviously, Jane values marriage so it doesn't really matter whether YOU think it's "just a piece of paper" or not really that important.

In fact, it doesn't even matter that marriage happens to be the issue at hand. Substitute marriage for tacos and you would still have the bottom line, which is this: Johnny tells Jane in private that he absolutely loves tacos. THEN Johnny says, in the presence of all his friends, that he HATES tacos and will never eat a taco. Now, EITHER Johnny was being untruthful with Jane in the first place, in order to make her happy/get something out of her/shut her up etc...OR he is being untruthful with his friends now in order to look cool/fit in/start up a conversation...IT DOESN'T MATTER what the issue is, the guy is obviously either extremely oblivious, or willing to sacrifice the truth in some context to get what he wants. That, or he's just extremely indecisive and doesn't really know what he wants (in which case he should just keep his mouth shut). Take your pick, all of those things reflect extremely badly on the guy in my opinion and show that there will be much more serious problems in the future.

NOW all that being said...I believe that love means commitment, and commitment means no matter what. If Jane can't see herself with anyone else and this is really the guy she thinks could make her happy for the rest of her life...then I would say stick with that commitment and believe that things will change. But if Jane really thinks Johnny will never change his mind and she doesn't wanna wait around to be someone's 50 year old girlfriend (which is absolutely awesome, btw, I admire you so much for saying that) then I would say get out now because things will only get harder the longer you wait. People DO change, but don't waste your time waiting for it if you know it's not going to happen.
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    In fact, it doesn't even matter that marriage happens to be the issue at hand. Substitute marriage for tacos and you would still have the bottom line, which is this: Johnny tells Jane in private that he absolutely loves tacos. THEN Johnny says, in the presence of all his friends, that he HATES tacos and will never eat a taco.

If Johnny is never going to eat a taco, Johnny should be with Jimmy then, not Jane.
  • imnotyourpal
    imnotyourpal Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    OMG, RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    He told her he didnt want to marry her in the beginning. I have learned one valuable lesson in life and that is to listen. Dont try to change a man. If I wanted to get married and a guy told me that I would have ended it
  • katiedid1226
    katiedid1226 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    When people tell you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

Definitely.

Oh hell yes. We don't all want the same things! Why waste your time....he aint the one you're looking for!
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options

^^^Wow...judgmental much. Talk about narrowmindedly blanketing an entire group of people.
    just stating the obvious. they dont love you enough to marry you so they allow you to call yourself a common law spouse.
  • kyjajo
    kyjajo Posts: 10
    Options
    Man didn't create God, God created Man!!!
  • arkansascountrygirl
    arkansascountrygirl Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I would dump him.