Ladies - Would you date someone who is divorced?

Options

Replies

• ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    yes I would... I actually did a few years ago.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • ToEKnee213
    ToEKnee213 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I'm divorced...I have nothing against dating someone who is also divorced. It's hard to find someone my age who is not divorced.
  • 99Tinkerbell
    Options
    Yes... but it would depend on the circumstances of the divorce. It maybe that they weren't meant for each other, s*** happens!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    as for women not dating men who have kids from a previous relationship, i'm guess that usually has more to do with not wanting to have to deal with the ex than not wanting to have to deal with the kids.
  • Gulzilly
    Gulzilly Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I dated and married a divorcee.
  • cyberskirt
    cyberskirt Posts: 218
    Options
    What I find amazing is how many women wouldn't date someone who has kids....

But, would these women if they were single moms expect men to date them?

I wouldn't rule out a divorced man. If he had children, I would be a lot more hesitant, and that is largely because I don't actually want children. If I don't want children of my own why would I want someone else's? I'm not saying I would categorically rule that guy out but children bring a whole extra layer of complication, not the least of which would be having to deal with his ex. That may or may not be a problem but it would be a lot to take on.

Oh! I wasn't referring to a woman who DIDN'T want children at all. but I read a few comments from people who stated that he couldn't have kids or women who already had children saying he could be divorced but couldn't have kids. But would these women who are single moms or if they became single moms then not date at all or expect no man to date them ever because they have children?

I wondered if they had a double-standard.
  • prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    divorced and moved on YES separated and bitter NOPE

-^^^^this!!
  • nroisland
    nroisland Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I did and I married him a year after meeting.
  • cyberskirt
    cyberskirt Posts: 218
    Options
    What I find amazing is how many women wouldn't date someone who has kids....

But, would these women if they were single moms expect men to date them?

I wouldn't rule out a divorced man. If he had children, I would be a lot more hesitant, and that is largely because I don't actually want children. If I don't want children of my own why would I want someone else's? I'm not saying I would categorically rule that guy out but children bring a whole extra layer of complication, not the least of which would be having to deal with his ex. That may or may not be a problem but it would be a lot to take on.

That's exactly the same thought I have. I don't want children either. I would be a lot more hesitant too. and Ex's can be a huge complication with that. I guess I would rather make sure it was the right person who made me feel the right things regardless of past relationships or 'baggage'...
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    When I was 21 my boyfriend was 31... my mother was shocked at the age difference, and said "What if you find out he's divorced or something??" And I said, "Um he is..." The worst part is that she had divorced and remarried a few years before.

Hahaha I love it!!
  • Hickyvikki69
    Hickyvikki69 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    someone divorced is still a human that deserves to be loved and not judged on their past...
  • giadatje
    giadatje Posts: 59
    Options
    It seems I'm one of the few that will say no. At the very beginning, especially at the first date, appearances count, at least for me. And a divorce or kids will not be appealing for me. On the same hand, I will not go out with a guy with a sloppy way to dress up or a not clean one. Or with a lower degree than me. Maybe my expectation are to high!
    Of course there are many circumstances why a person will divorce, and I'm sure you are a beautiful person, but I will not take the time to discover it.
    Sorry :noway:
  • terrazasmoni
    Options
    yes!
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I'd more rather date someone who was divorced/widowed than who'd never been married.
  • MrsSamB
    MrsSamB Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I know people who got divorced because their spouse was abusing them. Cheated on them (and in one case gave them an STI). frauded them. turned out to be gay... seriously, there are a lot of reasons why people get divorced and not all of them are issues that can be 'worked through'.

I don't think those circumstances would qualify as "normal." I agree that marriage is for life. I think that marriage isn't something that should be done on a whim. I don't think that marriages should end on a whim, either. It would be wise for people to take time and careful consideration when choosing a husband or wife. Get some pre-marital counseling. Talk out the real issues before the issues slap you out of newly-wed wonderland. That's my two cents.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I am not saying one shouldn't get divorced (or, preferrably annulled) in some of the extreme circumstances. I am saying I wouldn't get remarried after going through that, because obviously I didn't do a good job of picking the first time.
    So we only get one chance at happiness?

Wow, even the Bible allows for remarriage
  • Bellum24
    Bellum24 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it is really a choice you have, my fiance is divorced. Does that make things easy, not usually - she's a sick manipulative person, but does it interfere with my relationship or change how i think or feel about him, no....

Don't let someone's past determine your future, you can't control what happened in their past so why punish yourself, or someone else for their mistakes.
  • blueeyedcristi
    blueeyedcristi Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Right now? Nope....I'm married.
    If I were single? Hmmmm....I think it would depend on the reasons of divorce, etc. I don't think it would necessarily stop me though.
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    No.

Because I date to get married, and I am not promising "till death" to someone who has already illustrated that marraige doesn't mean that.

Sometimes there are circumstances that warrant a divorce or make it inevitable.

"Circumstancs" is not 'till death, now is it?

I know people who got divorced because their spouse was abusing them. Cheated on them (and in one case gave them an STI). frauded them. turned out to be gay... seriously, there are a lot of reasons why people get divorced and not all of them are issues that can be 'worked through'.

I am not saying one shouldn't get divorced (or, preferrably annulled) in some of the extreme circumstances. I am saying I wouldn't get remarried after going through that, because obviously I didn't do a good job of picking the first time.

please tell us what it's like to live in a world with unicorns where people fart rainbows and gardens grow lollipops? it sounds so lovely. :huh:

Dane, I think I love you!