Ladies - Would you date someone who is divorced?

Options

Replies

• cyberskirt
    cyberskirt Posts: 218
    Options
    What I find amazing is how many women wouldn't date someone who has kids....

But, would these women if they were single moms expect men to date them?
  • avalonmaiara
    Options
    if a man is strong enough to get through something like that and come out on top then good on him :) of course!
  • saralynn594
    saralynn594 Posts: 321
    Options
    Funny question..I am bout to be a divorced woman so yes,I would date a divorced man.Lol might make it easier!
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    No.

Because I date to get married, and I am not promising "till death" to someone who has already illustrated that marraige doesn't mean that.

Sometimes there are circumstances that warrant a divorce or make it inevitable.

"Circumstancs" is not 'till death, now is it?

I know people who got divorced because their spouse was abusing them. Cheated on them (and in one case gave them an STI). frauded them. turned out to be gay... seriously, there are a lot of reasons why people get divorced and not all of them are issues that can be 'worked through'.

I am not saying one shouldn't get divorced (or, preferrably annulled) in some of the extreme circumstances. I am saying I wouldn't get remarried after going through that, because obviously I didn't do a good job of picking the first time.

please tell us what it's like to live in a world with unicorns where people fart rainbows and gardens grow lollipops? it sounds so lovely. :huh:
  • ThisisMiss
    ThisisMiss Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Yes. In fact, my current guy was divorced and has two beautiful children from his first marriage. Things are pretty okay with him and his ex, but she was less than thrilled when she learned I got pregnant. Since then, things haven't been as great between them, but they never let it affect the children.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine was in a marriage where her husband was suspicious and jealous of everything she did, and constantly accused her of cheating. Eventually she did cheat. They went to counseling and tried to work it out, but ended up divorcing about a year later.

I'm not defending what she did. But it was a mistake, and she genuinely tried to make things work after that.

In the past I might have said that cheating would have been a deal-breaker. But seeing her go through this situation, I can't really say that anymore. Because if I think, "Would I date her?" then the answer is yes, I probably would.
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options

I don't see what's wrong with that. Some people don't want kids, and some don't want to deal with the drama of someone else's kids.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Of course I would.

I'm very lucky - my boyfriend doesn't care that I've been married before and divorced, nor does he care that I have two teenage children too. :)
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    No.

Because I date to get married, and I am not promising "till death" to someone who has already illustrated that marraige doesn't mean that.

seriously? What if his wife cheated on him? Which makes me wonder if your husband cheated on you.....you would stay? Remember your claim was "till death do us part"
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Of course.... not now I'm married though!
    At my age (45) the options are someone who has been divorced or someone who has never been married. In general I'd take the divorcee over "never married" but everyone is so different you can't really apply blanket rules to dating.
  • livestar
    livestar Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. In fact, at a certain point, it's preferred. Of course, it really depends on the situation. But, in general, it's easier for me to connect with those who dare to try than those who don't.

I am not of the mind that divorce is necessarily a failure.
  • Flippiefloppies
    Options
    My boyfriend is divorced. He did what he thought was the right thing and married a girl that he got pregnant. They were dating at the time. It just did not work out. They are still on very good terms and I actually get along wonderfully with her. She states often that she is very happy that he has found someone she likes to help raise her child. We actually talk and email alot. Alot people would say that it is weird but I wouldn't want it any other way. She just recently remarried and had her second child. We took her and my boyfriends son to see the new baby the day after delivery and hung out awhile with them. I would say that yea it is not for everyone but in my case it has worked out wonderfully for me and I would not change a thing.

My ex and my DH have gone golfing before LOL

Her and I have actually planned on going to a movie together once but it fell through due to other things. I ask my bf if he thought it was weird or bothered him and he said no so, I dont see the problem.
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options
    Of course.... not now I'm married though!
    At my age (45) the options are someone who has been divorced or someone who has never been married. In general I'd take the divorcee over "never married" but everyone is so different you can't really apply blanket rules to dating.
    There's also "widowed" and "currently married".
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options

i have dated guys with kids in the past and when the relationship ended (they were long term so I did get to know the kids fairly well) it was the hardest on the kid... not saying all relationships end but if they do you have to consider the miniature humans involved to... for me kids are not a deal breaker (even if I do not plan on having any of my own) but I am pretty cautious about them because I hate seeing anyone hurt, and kids can get attached pretty easily.
  • AlicynH
    AlicynH Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I think it would depend on why he was divorced. Spousal abuse is definitely out. I know some people just marry the wrong person the first time around.
  • SkettiGurl
    SkettiGurl Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    As a rule I wouldn't rule out divorced men as I was divorced by the age of 23. But it TOTALLY depends on the circumstances and if I was comfortable with the situation.
  • LisaD1021
    LisaD1021 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Yes, I would, because I am also divorced. But at my age, single men are mostly either divorced or widowers. As long as you make sure your time together doesn't turn into an ex-bashing session.
  • BuckeyeBoi
    BuckeyeBoi Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I was married 15yrs and didnt ask for a divorce nor at the time wanted one. In Florida you cant contest a divorce, I said when I signed it, what if I dont sign this, they said you would be subject to contempt of court!
  • beeker75
    beeker75 Posts: 109
    Options
    My husband dated someone who was 2ce divorced, and we have been together longer than either of those 2 marriages! And my husband was a widower, with 3 kids. Our lives are amazing. He does not fault me for my bad choices in my 20s, and I love him SO much for that! If he had been divorced instead of a widower, I still would have dated him! :)
  • brandy_nurs24
    Options
    absolutely.......... considering I am divorced I can hardly judge someone for it.