You can NOT get it fast....

Options
arewethereyet
arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
And have it last.

You cant have it fast, and have it last.

This is my new motto. Diet pills, super cleanses, shots in your *kitten*, eating icecream and grapefruit...phooey. They do NOT work. Period.

One year ago today I was a 47 year 'old' woman. I awoke each morning with such pain in my neck and upper back, that I litterally rolled out of my bed. My muscles were weak and I felt old and washed out.

I went to make coffee and took my muscle relaxer, advil and crestor(cholesterol) with my first cup of coffee. I ate nothing, just went to work.

Around 12 I was starving, so I stopped at Mcdonalds for a burger and fries, because it was easy.

I came home a 6pm and again, stopped off for some fast food. Maybe Boston Market or something 'good' for me.

I ate, cleaned a bit and went to lay down. 6-7 pm in bed, at 47 years of age, SEVEN PM!!

One year ago today I found my old MFP account. It started as a whim to lose 10 pounds FAST....what could I do, what could I take??? Checked on Ali....uh dont want to poo my pants. Others would make me jittery.

I told my Orthopedist I was frustrated with the pain, so he set me up with Physical Therapy. I told the PT I could NOT do any exercise. She showed me what I could do and my life began to change.

I logged onto MFP and put in all of my food for the prior week:noway: I ate WHAT?? You see as a single meal it didnt seem bad, but looking at it as the enemy is is to my body....no way!

Well I lost 30 pounds with diet and exercise. Did I lose 10 pounds before 4th of July last year, hell no! But....over the next 6 months my life changed. Changed in a great way. I am off the cholesterol meds, no more muscle relaxers, cuz guess what? Exercise IS a muscle relaxer!!

I eat breakfast each morning, have snacks, eat veggies and hummus (shout out Tam!) and use good fats (shout out Banks!!) on my big plate of salad, and I LOVE IT!!

I go to bed at 9-10 and have a life with my family. I jump out of bed in the morning-my body LIFTS me because I treat it well.

So please know, you CAN do this. Either way, this past year would be gone folks. I could still be sitting here whining about all the bad things that happened to me and how it made me fat. The bottom line is CHOICES made me fat.

Make ONE choice today and stick with it.

If you want it fast, it will not last. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. You have done awesome.

You are right that this way is not fast but it is lasting. You have to be ready to make the change for yourself or it will never stick.

:drinker:
  • hushmonkey1234
    Options
    Your story is such an insparation to all of us! I have a long way to go and its stories about how they year is gonna go by either way that make me keep going! I used to hate exercise and even now I can be a complainer when it comes to getting up and going but if I dont my body starts complaining and aching. We are ment to move and be active and I know that my kids are thanking me for doing it as well. Last year we didnt go to the pool a single time...mommy always had an excuse! But now that I have seen how many calories I can burn just by playing and having fun with my kids in the pool we go every day now that its summer break!
    Thank you again!
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Congratulations. You have done awesome.

You are right that this way is not fast but it is lasting. You have to be ready to make the change for yourself or it will never stick.

:drinker:

Look at you!! You have only 6 pounds to go! That so wonderful. Doesnt it feel good to DO it?? :drinker:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Your story is such an insparation to all of us! I have a long way to go and its stories about how they year is gonna go by either way that make me keep going! I used to hate exercise and even now I can be a complainer when it comes to getting up and going but if I dont my body starts complaining and aching. We are ment to move and be active and I know that my kids are thanking me for doing it as well. Last year we didnt go to the pool a single time...mommy always had an excuse! But now that I have seen how many calories I can burn just by playing and having fun with my kids in the pool we go every day now that its summer break!
    Thank you again!

:blushing: I didnt say I dont complain!!

:laugh: :laugh:

But I have to say the fact that you are teaching your children an new way of life is more AWESOME than even you losing!! My son lost around 50 pounds, my daughter 10 or so. My oldest is trying-he is working out!

Your doing great:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Jeannie! I love your very real and straight-forward way of putting things!! :flowerforyou:

And I am so happy you "get it". I SO want that for everyone but it's hard to get a person to change their brain when they have been living that way for so long. It has to be something that each and every person has "click" or whatever you want to call it.

What you have said here is true though! The day everyone stops thinking about the quick fixes or unattainable goals, is the day their lifestyle will start to change. Just getting started, counting the calories, measuring out the portions and exercising is really all you need! Those things will lead to other changes as you realize how great your body feels.

My motto has become "If you treat your body well, it will reward you." I guess it's a simple thing but even down to what food you choose to put into it is so important. Just because a burger and fries could fit into your day, doesn't mean it's going to make your body happy. I do my own version of a bacon cheeseburger for around 300 cals and my body feels GREAT! :wink:

Good fats rock!!! :drinker: Fruits and veggies rock!! :drinker: Good Carbs ROCK!:drinker:

Anyway, great post woman!! AGAIN!! :wink: :flowerforyou:

-Tami
  • Juicey1401
    Juicey1401 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    You r soooooooooo right about those quick fixes. I tried some of them, got some results, got satisfied and it didn't last. So I decided to do it the right way. Slow and steady is the best way to make it last.

Decide, Commit, Succeed!!!

Much success to all of us!!!
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    Great post Jeannie! :heart:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Thanks my beautiful friends!! :heart:
  • kariadams
    kariadams Posts: 24
    Options
    OMG, what an inspiring story!!! This would be a good intro for this site or any other site for weight loss.! Congrats on dropping the weight and feeling good about it all the while inspiring others to do the same.
  • msujdak
    msujdak Posts: 141
    Options
    I just had a conversation with a friend who said another friend's husband came home with a fad "soup diet" that he wants the whole family to do. The soup is bland and tasteless. We both agreed that changing you diet doesn't have to be a chore and that by looking at your intake you can still eat wonderful flavorful foods and still be healthy and happy!
  • Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    Me personally,, I love a challenge, Always been that way , Im hardworking, So I do what I gotta do to. I worked hard eating right and walking and I lost 33lbs biggest accomplishment:drinker:
  • ellens292
    ellens292 Posts: 176
    Options
    Jeannie! I love your very real and straight-forward way of putting things!! :flowerforyou:

And I am so happy you "get it". I SO want that for everyone but it's hard to get a person to change their brain when they have been living that way for so long. It has to be something that each and every person has "click" or whatever you want to call it.

What you have said here is true though! The day everyone stops thinking about the quick fixes or unattainable goals, is the day their lifestyle will start to change. Just getting started, counting the calories, measuring out the portions and exercising is really all you need! Those things will lead to other changes as you realize how great your body feels.

My motto has become "If you treat your body well, it will reward you." I guess it's a simple thing but even down to what food you choose to put into it is so important. Just because a burger and fries could fit into your day, doesn't mean it's going to make your body happy. I do my own version of a bacon cheeseburger for around 300 cals and my body feels GREAT! :wink:

Good fats rock!!! :drinker: Fruits and veggies rock!! :drinker: Good Carbs ROCK!:drinker:

-Tami

I haven't seen this thread before but just noticed your post, Tami. How encouraging to see what you have done. And a new baby on the way, congratulations.
    Do you ever share before and after pics?
    I have lost 45 but still have 70 to go. Hard to get past this point, seems like my body is just crying out to get it all back and quick!!! Any tips?
    Ellen
  • photoman67
    photoman67 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    You're the best! I wish more people would realize, like you have, that there are no quick fixes and magic pills that make you healthy. That only through time, determination and discipline are you going to be able to achieve what you want. Keep doing what you're doing and telling others your story, not just on MFP, but everywhere. When I lost 70 pounds a couple of years ago and people asked me how I did it, the last thing they wanted to hear was that I used a proper, healthy diet and lots of exercise. It seemed like they wanted to hear that I took a certain pill or had a special secret. People need to know that something is not worth having unless you're willing to work for it. Keep up the good work!
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    Jeannie,

You are such an inspiration and I wish more people "got it" like you did. Congrats to you on your success!

:heart: :heart:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    You all inspire me! :flowerforyou:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options

-Tami

I haven't seen this thread before but just noticed your post, Tami. How encouraging to see what you have done. And a new baby on the way, congratulations.
    Do you ever share before and after pics?
    I have lost 45 but still have 70 to go. Hard to get past this point, seems like my body is just crying out to get it all back and quick!!! Any tips?
    Ellen
    This is probably the best Before and After thread I have. :smile:

Good luck!!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/49059-pictures-worth-a-thousand-words
  • HealthierMamasita
    HealthierMamasita Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    *happy sigh*
    I :heart: you my Jeannie in a bottle :happy:

You are the bestest lady!

~Jo :flowerforyou:
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    This is a fantastic post!

It finally clicked in for me in January and I have had the most success I have ever had in my life. This way of eating and exercising does not have an end date. There is no special occaision I am losing for other than life itself.

If I am saving for my retirement, I damn well better be able to enjoy it!!!
  • MumOfADuo
    MumOfADuo Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    SO needed to 'hear' your post today......thanks for reminding me that I CAN do this.......
    Have a great day!!!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    So true!

You are awesome!

Happy 1 year :flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!