Views on America

Options

Replies

• EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me very sad.

I am a proud American. I am also a Texan! I have guns. Lots of them. Its my right as an American to bear arms. I have a right to defend my family and my home. I appreciate the choice to own them if I so wish. There is a sign outside of my home that says "nothing in this house is worth dying for" and WE MEAN IT.

I appreciate our military and the sacrifice that they give to defend our freedoms and to pretect this great nation.

Unfortunately not all Americans feel this way. Like my friend said earlier thats the great thing about living here, if you dont like it you have the choice to leave.

I wish we could come together as a nation cause were falling apart.

P.S. we do not refer to african americans as "coloureds" as a few of you did earlier and neither did Rick Santorum.
    P.S.S. our leadership sucks right now. however, fortunately we get to vote soon. oh yea another right i have as an American.

I noticed a bit of sarcasm in your post, and sure you do have the right to bear arms, here in Canada we do not. And as a Canadian, it seems odd to me that the general public can just walk around with a gun. I think if I were to go to Texas (which I would love to visit) I'd be all, "OMG HE'S GOT A GUN!" every time I saw one, it's just not natural for me.
  • katielauren2001
    katielauren2001 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    My overall thoughts of America is that it is a good country if you are rich, white and middle/upper class (males more than females) but not such a good country if you are not. For being such a rich country it has a mass amount of poverty , corporate interests etc. I think it is the peoples right to control the government. The Government works for you, you don't work for the Government. I applaud protests and such things as Occupy :) Don't think any of the presidential candidates are ideal - Ron Paul has some good policies, but some bad. But as far as the people go and places go there are some good and not so good :)
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I am Australian (wee seem to be the majority on this thread..), but I've lived in the US for the past 6 years or so.
    On the other hand, there are things I will never comprehend. The gun thing is just madness to the eyes of aussies - we have something like 100 random gun-related homicides per year. In the whole country. The blind adherence to the 'right to bear arms' with no critical consideration that more guns is not actually a good way to prevent shootings.

Some of us believe that we should have the right to bear arms so that we can overthrow the government when it becomes too radical or reactionary, and peaceful means to fix it have been exhausted. I believe that is the purpose of having the "well-regulated militia" referred to in the 2nd amendment. It is, afterall, how the authors of that amendment used their militia - to overthrow their government and create a new one. Obviously, small arms would not win a war against the actual army, but they may be enough to help gain some of the larger weapons required. (of course, I'm not saying that time has come, and I'm not advocating a revolution against the government of today, but I do want that option if it became necessary)

Wait. What? This is what scares the ever loving *kitten* out of me with this country. :noway:

I don't think the general public should have access to guns, just cops and the military. Guns scare the crap out of me as well.

Yeah, it's not even the guns that scare me, my husband is a soldier, so guns are normal to me, though we don't actually own any. What scares me is that people own them thinking one day they will have to overthrow the goverment. Like....BWAH?? makes me wonder what will happen to the rest of us.i can't see it ending well.

This.

I know that is what the 2nd Amendment is about. BUT, I live in the South, most of our friends own a lot of guns and hunt. None of them want to over throw the government. None of them have killed anyone. They are just nice happy people that love to hunt.

Law abiding citizens do not go around shooting people. Criminals are the ones that go around shooting people....and chances are, they did not receive the gun legally. So, even if you banned guns, these criminals would still find guns. And, if only criminals had guns, then they could break into any home and not worry that that home owner is also a gun owner! Easy pickings!
  • EmCarroll1990
    Options
    I want to say, that I truly love our country. I have traveled to other countries and enjoyed all of them, but I am very happy that I live here.

That being said, I do think our political system needs to be changed. I am a conservative...but, I think we need an Overhaul. Not just an R in the White House. I think that our Senators and Representatives should only serve 2 terms (like our President) and then get out. After they have served their 2 elected terms, then they should go back to work like the rest of us.

I think if we got the career politicians out and we had normal people to serve, our country would be so much better. Ya, we do not all agree on everything, but I know that I could sit down with a liberal and we could find a happy medium on most issues, and do so without compromising ourselves or our values.

And as far as education....we need our parents to expect more out of their children. A teacher can only do so much, the rest has to be done at home. My sons are shocked at how most of their classmates do not know what is going on in the world.

I am all for helping the poor, but when do the poor have to help themselves? When we have generations of people on government assistance, some of us getting tired of it. My husband busts his butt to support his family and it is upsetting to see our high teenage pregnancy rate, when you know that these girls grew up on government assistance and now they are receiving it with their children. I am not making this up, I see it in our community. I even spoke to our Superintendent about how can we emphasize that education is best for these young girls and not their boyfriend. Again, the school can only do so much, those values can only come from home.

Our military is wonderful and I love the sacrifices that our soldiers make. I do think we can get to eager to "help" the world. If the world does not want our help, I say bring our troops home. We have plenty of work to do in our own country. I also think we should no longer fund or cut back our funding to the UN.

But, I do love the US and I think that most people in the US are very generous!!

Fellow conservative here! I agree with every statement you just made!

Conservative leaning Libertarian here and I agree with just about all of that. But you can add legalization of pot and gay marriage to my agenda!

That!! Both Canada and the US need to legalize pot. And yes, the US totally needs to legalize gay marriage as well.
  • tarak83
    tarak83 Posts: 40
    Options
    I'm American, but I've been living in England since I was 22. (6 years)

I can tell you why I prefer living here vs America.

* Universal healthcare. Why anyone could possibly be against the idea of affordable healthcare for EVERYONE is beyond me. I've been in and out of the hospital several times since moving here... having babies and breaking bones. Not once have I been hassled for insurance papers. Not once have I seen a medical bill... there is no such thing as a billing department. In fact, there is a cashier who GIVES poorer people money so that they can afford transportation to and from the hospital.
    All prescriptions are the same price... every single one. My birth control? Free.

I can't even begin to imagine how much stress this type of system would relieve from your typical American family. Why has this not be done???

* The maternity benefits here are SO much better. I was able to stay at home and raise my children without having to worry about returning to work in a few weeks like my friends back home had to do.

* Every job starts with AT LEAST four weeks of vacation time. I remember the job I had before moving here. I got a week after working there for a year. Really people? Actually I've just looked it up: you are entitled to a minimum of 5.6 weeks paid annual leave - 28 days for someone working five days a week (capped at a statutory maximum of 28 days for all working patterns)

* My local supermarkets aren't absolutely crammed with crap. There isn't as much pre-packaged garbage full of chemicals and additives. I've not seen a single item of food with high fructose corn syrup. While some food seemed bland at first, I soon realized that this is how food is meant to taste. When I go home to visit... even the bread is entirely too sweet. I look at the ingredients and marvel at all of the additives they've put in it. Fresh produce here is also much more affordable.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I've not gone through the whole thread, I'm an american. Born and raised, still live here. A lot of people think we're stupid, we're not "Stupid" I just think America is to set in their ways, and that's fine, but we forget some times that we are pretty fortunate and take it for granted. We might not always be fortunate and we have nothing to prepare us when or if that time comes. Rome was a very powerful empower in it's time, and they fell, America is a lot younger then Rome was, and we are falling. I don't think a lot of people really see it, and we are only doing it to our selves.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I want to say, that I truly love our country. I have traveled to other countries and enjoyed all of them, but I am very happy that I live here.

That being said, I do think our political system needs to be changed. I am a conservative...but, I think we need an Overhaul. Not just an R in the White House. I think that our Senators and Representatives should only serve 2 terms (like our President) and then get out. After they have served their 2 elected terms, then they should go back to work like the rest of us.

I think if we got the career politicians out and we had normal people to serve, our country would be so much better. Ya, we do not all agree on everything, but I know that I could sit down with a liberal and we could find a happy medium on most issues, and do so without compromising ourselves or our values.

And as far as education....we need our parents to expect more out of their children. A teacher can only do so much, the rest has to be done at home. My sons are shocked at how most of their classmates do not know what is going on in the world.

I am all for helping the poor, but when do the poor have to help themselves? When we have generations of people on government assistance, some of us getting tired of it. My husband busts his butt to support his family and it is upsetting to see our high teenage pregnancy rate, when you know that these girls grew up on government assistance and now they are receiving it with their children. I am not making this up, I see it in our community. I even spoke to our Superintendent about how can we emphasize that education is best for these young girls and not their boyfriend. Again, the school can only do so much, those values can only come from home.

Our military is wonderful and I love the sacrifices that our soldiers make. I do think we can get to eager to "help" the world. If the world does not want our help, I say bring our troops home. We have plenty of work to do in our own country. I also think we should no longer fund or cut back our funding to the UN.

But, I do love the US and I think that most people in the US are very generous!!

Conservative leaning Libertarian here and I agree with just about all of that. But you can add legalization of pot and gay marriage to my agenda!

haha...ok...and I would also add prostitution! I would never do it, but I feel a woman does have the right to earn her money that way!
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options

I am a proud American. I am also a Texan! I have guns. Lots of them. Its my right as an American to bear arms. I have a right to defend my family and my home. I appreciate the choice to own them if I so wish. There is a sign outside of my home that says "nothing in this house is worth dying for" and WE MEAN IT.

I appreciate our military and the sacrifice that they give to defend our freedoms and to pretect this great nation.

Unfortunately not all Americans feel this way. Like my friend said earlier thats the great thing about living here, if you dont like it you have the choice to leave.

P.S. we do not refer to african americans as "coloureds" as a few of you did earlier and neither did Rick Santorum.
    P.S.S. our leadership sucks right now. however, fortunately we get to vote soon. oh yea another right i have as an American.

I noticed a bit of sarcasm in your post, and sure you do have the right to bear arms, here in Canada we do not. And as a Canadian, it seems odd to me that the general public can just walk around with a gun. I think if I were to go to Texas (which I would love to visit) I'd be all, "OMG HE'S GOT A GUN!" every time I saw one, it's just not natural for me.

i meant everything I said. Nothing sarcastic at all. Im very passionate about this topic.
    With that said, you have to have a license to walk around with a gun legally in the Great State of Texas. I also understand what youre saying though. Its foreign to you.
    P.S. Texas is a great state and the people are awesome. Just ask any Texan, we will tell you. But truthfully, Texas is unique in so many ways. I love it here.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I understand that the person who started the thread asked for the opinions but as I go through the thread reading I just have to laugh at how ignorant some of the responses are. I am not trying to be mean but really all you have to do is see the high rate of people trying to get citizenship here and the fact that there are quite a few people here illegally. As for politics all countries have their own problems no matter where you live. If people were to go back and brush up on their US history they would understand why and how this country was settled. As for complaining about our school systems when you have never attended an American school...... Lets just say I would not complain about your school system. If you all believe what CNN or Fox News airs and that is how you view the country then maybe you should off your t.v. and visit sometime because everyone knows no matter where you are or in what country the media airs what they feel will give them the best ratings.

We are not perfect all you have to do is look at the government assisstance programs and how easy it is to get this assisstance in many states and to live off of it. All you have to do is walk into any grocery store at the beginning of the month where I live and watch people fill their carts pay with a benefit card then walk outside and load their groceries in a new vehicle. Or buy steaks for their dogs because dog food is not covered (True story I was behind this in line one time) . It just shows how easy governments can be manipulated.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    My overall thoughts of America is that it is a good country if you are rich, white and middle/upper class (males more than females) but not such a good country if you are not. For being such a rich country it has a mass amount of poverty , corporate interests etc. I think it is the peoples right to control the government. The Government works for you, you don't work for the Government. I applaud protests and such things as Occupy :) Don't think any of the presidential candidates are ideal - Ron Paul has some good policies, but some bad. But as far as the people go and places go there are some good and not so good :)
    [/quote)
    I don't think it's the American White Males or Females getting rich off this country anymore.
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    I understand that the person who started the thread asked for the opinions but as I go through the thread reading I just have to laugh at how ignorant some of the responses are. I am not trying to be mean but really all you have to do is see the high rate of people trying to get citizenship here and the fact that there are quite a few people here illegally. As for politics all countries have their own problems no matter where you live. If people were to go back and brush up on their US history they would understand why and how this country was settled. As for complaining about our school systems when you have never attended an American school...... Lets just say I would not complain about your school system. If you all believe what CNN or Fox News airs and that is how you view the country then maybe you should off your t.v. and visit sometime because everyone knows no matter where you are or in what country the media airs what they feel will give them the best ratings.

We are not perfect all you have to do is look at the government assisstance programs and how easy it is to get this assisstance in many states and to live off of it. All you have to do is walk into any grocery store at the beginning of the month where I live and watch people fill their carts pay with a benefit card then walk outside and load their groceries in a new vehicle. Or buy steaks for their dogs because dog food is not covered (True story I was behind this in line one time) . It just shows how easy governments can be manipulated.
    :drinker:
  • EmCarroll1990
    Options

haha...ok...and I would also add prostitution! I would never do it, but I feel a woman does have the right to earn her money that way!

Prostitution is getting legalized here in Ontario, Can.
  • dyannajoy
    dyannajoy Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Personally I wish I could pack up all my loved ones and leave America. Unfortunately I teach classes in human differences at a University where I am forced to face the dark side of the US on a daily basis. The drugs, guns, shootings, horrific crimes of everykind, homelessness, joblessness, desperation in peoples lives, lack of health care.......I could go on and on. I am soooooooo tired of how we live here. I want peace and safety for all. Today I am VERY sad about the state of the U.S.
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options

Amen! Not only do I not own a gun, like many Candians, I do not feel the need to own a gun.....Why do you feel you NEED a gun??
  • Coolhand1969
    Coolhand1969 Posts: 833 Member
    Options

i meant everything I said. Nothing sarcastic at all. Im very passionate about this topic.
    With that said, you have to have a license to walk around with a gun legally in the Great State of Texas. I also understand what youre saying though. Its foreign to you.
    P.S. Texas is a great state and the people are awesome. Just ask any Texan, we will tell you. But truthfully, Texas is unique in so many ways. I love it here.

I'm also very passionate about it, as well as any other topics where people propose taking away our rights. Some may have taken my earlier comments as right-wing whacko-ism, but IMHO, they're actually very liberal as are all my social views (I consider myself a Libertarian). I will argue just as vehemently for drug legalization, free speech, or anything else where I think our rights are reduced. Just as I would not go out smoking a bunch of pot if it was legalized, I'm not ready to start a revolution just because I believe we should have the ability to do so (and I actually just own a very small guns - 22 caliber - I'm obviously not stocking up to overthrow the govt). I just believe we should have those rights.
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's not even the guns that scare me, my husband is a soldier, so guns are normal to me, though we don't actually own any. What scares me is that people own them thinking one day they will have to overthrow the goverment. Like....BWAH?? makes me wonder what will happen to the rest of us.i can't see it ending well.

Please, don't take my original quote as saying that I think I will have to do that someday. I don't think that - and I dang sure hope I never have to do that. However, I realize that I MIGHT have to do that someday as a true American. Our founding fathers did that. They fought for our rights to represent ourselves, and say what we need to say. Others around the world have fought for those rights. If the government becomes fascist (it is always possible), and we no longer have those rights, it may become necessary to fight for them again for all Americans. I believe that is Patriotic and reasonable. Having the right to enable ourselves to protect our rights if necessary is what freedom is about, per our revolutionary founding fathers. If you don't like that idea, I'm sorry, go back to being sheeple, and don't call me when the jackbooted thugs come knocking down your door.

You are my favorite person. :bigsmile:
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Personally I wish I could pack up all my loved ones and leave America. Unfortunately I teach classes in human differences at a University where I am forced to face the dark side of the US on a daily basis. The drugs, guns, shootings, horrific crimes of everykind, homelessness, joblessness, desperation in peoples lives, lack of health care.......I could go on and on. I am soooooooo tired of how we live here. I want peace and safety for all. Today I am VERY sad about the state of the U.S.

In your field I don't think there is anywhere you could go where you will get away from that!
  • katielauren2001
    katielauren2001 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    [/quote)
    I don't think it's the American White Males or Females getting rich off this country anymore.
    Then who does? Don't bother being racist about it either.
  • Coolhand1969
    Coolhand1969 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Ron paul for president

Yay!!!
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I understand that the person who started the thread asked for the opinions but as I go through the thread reading I just have to laugh at how ignorant some of the responses are. I am not trying to be mean but really all you have to do is see the high rate of people trying to get citizenship here and the fact that there are quite a few people here illegally. As for politics all countries have their own problems no matter where you live. If people were to go back and brush up on their US history they would understand why and how this country was settled. As for complaining about our school systems when you have never attended an American school...... Lets just say I would not complain about your school system.

Really? You are calling people ignorant for speaking poorly of our educational system? Have YOU ever attended school outside of America? Have you ever read a report on how POORLY our educational system is doing in regards to the rest of the world? Obviously not. I actually did attend school in the United States (in 9 different states) as well as in Argentina and in Spain. I can honestly say that the education I received outside of the USA was by far superior than any that I received in the USA. I even attended one of the top high schools in the country for about a year and a half (clearly, my family moved around a lot), and it didn't even come close in comparison to the studies I received outside of the US. Before you call someone ignorant for not attending a US school, you may want to step back and take a look at the bigger picture.