Views on America

Options

Replies

• Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me very sad.

I am a proud American. I am also a Texan! I have guns. Lots of them. Its my right as an American to bear arms. I have a right to defend my family and my home. I appreciate the choice to own them if I so wish. There is a sign outside of my home that says "nothing in this house is worth dying for" and WE MEAN IT.

I appreciate our military and the sacrifice that they give to defend our freedoms and to pretect this great nation.

Unfortunately not all Americans feel this way. Like my friend said earlier thats the great thing about living here, if you dont like it you have the choice to leave.

I wish we could come together as a nation cause were falling apart.

P.S. we do not refer to african americans as "coloureds" as a few of you did earlier and neither did Rick Santorum.
    P.S.S. our leadership sucks right now. however, fortunately we get to vote soon. oh yea another right i have as an American.

I noticed a bit of sarcasm in your post, and sure you do have the right to bear arms, here in Canada we do not. And as a Canadian, it seems odd to me that the general public can just walk around with a gun. I think if I were to go to Texas (which I would love to visit) I'd be all, "OMG HE'S GOT A GUN!" every time I saw one, it's just not natural for me.

Amen! Not only do I not own a gun, like many Candians, I do not feel the need to own a gun.....Why do you feel you NEED a gun??
    Have you seen the crime rate in america?

We carry guns to shoot skeet of our deck in Maine. And target shoot. And to kill our dinner (free food, free range, organic...right in your backyard). I think folks not carrying guns are missing out.
  • jpuderbaugh
    jpuderbaugh Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm a Yuengling guy myself. Just became available in Ohio about 6 months ago. BOMB!!

It's so funny... growing up in PA, there are so many brands that we naively (word?) think are all over the US, but learn as we get older that they are only in PA. Glad Yuengling is finally branching out. What makes me mad is Wise potato chips are available in a whole bunch of states, made right in my town. Half of my family works there. But do you think our grocery stores carry a nice variety of their products?! NO! I never knew they made dip mixes and ranch cheese doodles (and other products I just learned about).

Back to the US topic, I always thought I was the only one who thought our country has a bad habit of sticking their nose where it doesn't belong. Just because our country is called "the greatest country on earth" doesn't mean other countries want to be like ours. And our country has a long way to go with taking care of our own people before we go telling other countries how to do it.
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options

I am a proud American. I am also a Texan! I have guns. Lots of them. Its my right as an American to bear arms. I have a right to defend my family and my home. I appreciate the choice to own them if I so wish. There is a sign outside of my home that says "nothing in this house is worth dying for" and WE MEAN IT.

I appreciate our military and the sacrifice that they give to defend our freedoms and to pretect this great nation.

Unfortunately not all Americans feel this way. Like my friend said earlier thats the great thing about living here, if you dont like it you have the choice to leave.

P.S. we do not refer to african americans as "coloureds" as a few of you did earlier and neither did Rick Santorum.
    P.S.S. our leadership sucks right now. however, fortunately we get to vote soon. oh yea another right i have as an American.

I noticed a bit of sarcasm in your post, and sure you do have the right to bear arms, here in Canada we do not. And as a Canadian, it seems odd to me that the general public can just walk around with a gun. I think if I were to go to Texas (which I would love to visit) I'd be all, "OMG HE'S GOT A GUN!" every time I saw one, it's just not natural for me.

Amen! Not only do I not own a gun, like many Candians, I do not feel the need to own a gun.....Why do you feel you NEED a gun??

Yeah, cuz everyone owns bloody guns! And they are so easy to get! Have you seen the crime rate here in Canada compaired to yours?
  • katielauren2001
    katielauren2001 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    What reason is there for War? I am 100% anti-war there is no reason. What gives countries like America and the United Kingdom the right to invade countries? Though I do agree that the military women and men are admirable, but if that is the case why do many military men and women become homeless after giving a 'service' to their country?
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Tell me which other countries has a policy in fill-out application forms indicating their ethnicity or race. Only in the US. Not to mention that they love to give out stupid useless labels to minorities such as "Hispanic/Latino", "Asian". FYI Hispanic belongs to the Spaniards & not all Latin Americans have direct Spanish lineage. Asia is a CONTINENT & saying one is of "Asian race" is such stupid. The funny thing is that the term "Asian" doesn't include Middle East, Central Asia or sometimes even India as part of "Asian" category whereas they are technically part of Asia.

Every country I've lived in. It's not because the government is racist, it's for social profiling and can be used for good instead of evil. FOR EXAMPLE: understanding that a particular ethnicity is more prone to / exempt from certain cancers or diseases leads to research which can potentially provide vaccines / cures etc. You have to learn to look at the glass half-full aspect of this!

OK if that is the case then why the inaccurate label? For example the label Hispanic/Latino, as I said a while ago its not an ethnicity & many Latin Americans don't have direct Spanish lineage to qualify for that Hispanic label. A Mexican of mostly Indigenous descent & a white Argentine who is of German descent are ethnicities apart & yet there in the US, both of them are called Hispanics :noway: Yes we speak Spanish but it doesn't make us Spaniards anymore than a German who is fluent in Japanese language be called Japanese.

And Asian race? C'mon its not a race nor ethnicity, it simply means anyone from the CONTINENT OF ASIA which happen to include Middle East & Central Asians & yet the US defines them as "White".
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options

Because I can. Its my right. I dont have to have a gun. Its not mandatory. But I can tell you right now if it comes down to someone breaking into my house and hurting my family, Im not waiting for law enforcement. Its for protection.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Let me start by saying I am Canadian......however, most of my family is American....in fact, I am the only Canadian born person in my family other than my children...even my siblings were American born....

As far as America the country goes, there are many things I find very wrong, I would not live there if someone was paying me....

I agree 150% with this statement that was made:

"I can't get over the fact that someone like Rick Sanitorium could run for president and spread his hateful views on gays, coloured people and women, and name it all as a religious virtue."

That pisses me off like you would not believe.....in the same token, I also do not understand how you can have someone like Ron Paul running as well, after seeing a Q&A with him where he was asked about health care for the poor, and his reply was something along the lines of 'why is it our responsiblity to take care of everyone'......I almost got sick....

My sister is a hardcore Republican, although when asked, she will claim she is 'undecided', however, she liked Bush, HATES Clinton and Obama, and thought "Socialized" medicine is a terrible idea.....

I do not understand the idea behind the very rich getting the biggest tax breaks.....capitalism is a nightmare it seems.....

I also do not understand what is up with health care over there, why do they seem to have so much money for the military but none to take care of its most in need citizens....

I know our military here in Canada is a joke compaired to lots of other countries, and when war starts, we send our one boat over with our 12 soilders, but personally, I would rather have other perks......

Speaking of war and such, why do guns seem to be such a giant problem in the states? Why does it seem like everyone has a gun? And its easy for any nutjob to get one it seems to.....

And not only does it seem that everyone needs a gun, but you even have people that make it their mission to make sure everyone has the right to a gun....really? REALLY?? Are their not better things to fight for.....like perhaps health care? Blows my mind.....

Also, why does it take so long to make sure everyone has human rights over there? Like seriously, what is the hold up? Not only in history was America way behind the times with the end to slavery and civil rights for black people, but I cannot get understand why it is 2012 and homosexuals do not have equal rights yet.....what is the deal with that?

Speaking of human rights, I also cannot believe that America still has capital punishment.....with, the saddest part of that, again, being rights for those with less.....most people that have been murdered by the state that were innocent were people that did not have enough money to pay for proper defence, and in many cases, black males....so I guess that falls right in line with all the other human rights issues America seems to have. And it even STILL happens....Troy Davis anyone??

Speaking of the justice system.....Canada's is not perfect either, but why is it that Casey Anthony and George Zimmerman are still walking free and Troy Davis is dead and Buju Banton is rotting away in jail? Makes NO SENSE.....something is wrong there, and I hate to say it, but it seems like the darker your skin, the more likely you are to be found guilty, if you committed the crime or not....

Alright, I could go on and on about the flaws of the US as a whole, but let me bring something else to the table....

When I read the OP, I thought he meant why do people around the world have a dislike for Americans as people, and I can answer some of that too.....

While I love Americans, including my family, I have to admit, they are some fo the worse tourists EVER! This is why many Canadians make it known they are Canadian when travelling...LOL

First off, I worked as a tour guide for years and Americans were always shocked to learn we are not just like them, no you many not bring your gun with you, and yes, we have equal right for everyone! Last time I checked, We The People meant EVERYONE, not just the ones just like you!

I work in retail now, and again, Americans are the only ones, that not only will routinely ask if the prices are in US dollars, (like seriously, I would NEVER go to another country, and expect that the prices are in MY homelands currency), but will then also get upset I do not have US money in the til to give them change....really? REALLY??

All this said, one last gripe I have about America as a whole is if it was not for Bush, we would have legalized weed in Canada by now....but he threathened to close the borders....so after only ONE day of being legal, we all went back to being criminals....why are Americans so up tight about weed? Its an herb, grown in the ground, by God.....it seems like a lot of Americans think it is a drug equal to crack or something.....trust me, the only thing in danger when someone is high on pot is leftovers.....here in Canada, though it is not legal per se, one can smoke pretty openly, I basically smoke anywhere that people are smoking cigarettes and have never had a problem....you could never do that in the states.....

Canadians aren't the best tourists either it goes both ways. When I was in college and waited tables we all would run and cringe at the thought of having to wait on Canadians because we knew they wouldn't tip. FYI in America servers work for their tips.

FYI, in Canada servers also do this, the minimum wage is way lower for wait staff than other employees because of this.....I ALWAYS tip based on service, perhaps that was the problem? I have friends that are wait staff, and I did it here and there myself, never found a big problem with fellow Canadians tipping.....

Go to Myrtle Beach, SC its an epidemic especially in Jan and Feb. Also before you say our schools are crap I would love to know where you get your info and from what state? Also the poor are given chances they just have to take them. Financial Aid is offered to pay for college yes you do have to pay it back but it is available.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options

Yeah, cuz everyone owns bloody guns! And they are so easy to get! Have you seen the crime rate here in Canada compaired to yours?
    It's not the legal guns killing people. It's the illegal ones.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    * Universal healthcare. Why anyone could possibly be against the idea of affordable healthcare for EVERYONE is beyond me. I've been in and out of the hospital several times since moving here... having babies and breaking bones. Not once have I been hassled for insurance papers. Not once have I seen a medical bill... there is no such thing as a billing department. In fact, there is a cashier who GIVES poorer people money so that they can afford transportation to and from the hospital.
    All prescriptions are the same price... every single one. My birth control? Free.

I totally agree....our healthcare here is criminal. I know way too many people who are trying to figure out if they should buy medication or food....including my own parents!! And my father is a veteran!!!!!!

We have Universal Health Care and gay marriage in Massachusetts. I would never live in a state that did not have both.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    The people of other countries, including undeveloped countries, consider Americans to be incredibly ignorant about what goes on in the world. And it's true. As a whole, we are, despite having free access to more information than the people of many countries. We're ignorant because we've been taught not to care and in fact to avoid unpleasant truths about our own country's actions.

Americans are some of the most conditioned humans on the planet. Our entire public school system was set up for two reasons. The first was to find potential in people who would not otherwise have been unable to go on to college and to send them. No problems there. But the second reason was to condition workers in all fields to accept their lot in life. And that's why history classes pre-college level is such a joke. Americans are taught to worship the free market. We won't even get into religion. I'm surprised this thread is allowed to be here at all.

I'll be honest, I loathe America. I could go all episodic essay on why I hate my own country, but I think I can sum it up in two words: Willful ignorance. Americans are willfully ignorant because learning what is really going on in the world and inside their own country would contradict their conditioned view of America.
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    bump to read later...PLEASE don't get it locked or removed!! :smile:
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    We are not perfect all you have to do is look at the government assisstance programs and how easy it is to get this assisstance in many states and to live off of it. All you have to do is walk into any grocery store at the beginning of the month where I live and watch people fill their carts pay with a benefit card then walk outside and load their groceries in a new vehicle. Or buy steaks for their dogs because dog food is not covered (True story I was behind this in line one time) . It just shows how easy governments can be manipulated.

Seen this too many times in line, I have my cart filled with generic food. The lady in front of me buys food with her money. Then does a separate purchase of name brand name juices and bread using her WIC card. Or, they buy their food with Food Stamps. Then a separate purchase by cigarettes with their own money. Or paying for their food with Food Stamp, meanwhile they and their kids have smart phones and I have a crap phone and I paying for all of my generic label food for my family of 8!!

Let me play devil's advocate. I'm not talking about government assistance lifer's. How do you know the person you see paying their food with food stamps has not just recently lost their job and are struggling at the present time. They already owned a nice car, the kids already had smart phones etc... They need temporary assistance to get them through a tough time period. We already know how terrible many Americans are in saving money. :) . Are they suppose to sell everything they own immediately? Let's say they got a another nice paying job within a couple of months, they still have the car, the phones etc.... You may be surprised how many people use government assistance in a the way that it was intended, for short term temporary relief.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    * Universal healthcare. Why anyone could possibly be against the idea of affordable healthcare for EVERYONE is beyond me. I've been in and out of the hospital several times since moving here... having babies and breaking bones. Not once have I been hassled for insurance papers. Not once have I seen a medical bill... there is no such thing as a billing department. In fact, there is a cashier who GIVES poorer people money so that they can afford transportation to and from the hospital.
    All prescriptions are the same price... every single one. My birth control? Free.

I totally agree....our healthcare here is criminal. I know way too many people who are trying to figure out if they should buy medication or food....including my own parents!! And my father is a veteran!!!!!!

Here is the thing....our country can barley afford Medicare and Medicaid. We have too many people for the government to provide healthcare to all. That being said, I DO think that something needs to be done.

For one, if a state comes up with a plan to helps its citizens, then that is fine. What may work in California, may not work in Alabama.

Secondly, I think our health insurance should be like my car insurance. I pay a lower premium, so I pay out of pocket for my doctor's visits. But, if I have something big, like a broken leg or I have a baby, that is when my insurance kicks in. Like my car....I pay out of pocket for a tune-up or new tires, but if I get into a wreck, my insurance kicks in.

With my husband's job, we have a health reimbursement account (this lowered our premium by a lot of money). I love it. It is money that his job puts into an account and we can use this to cover other expenses not covered by our insurance, like dental and prescriptions. Some years, we use all of it, other years we do not. It helps me to use it wisely.

And remember, nothing is free, those of you with Universal healthcare, you pay for it out of your taxes. Nothing is ever free!!
  • laeliaperogie
    Options
    Ron paul is the key
  • dinovino_59
    dinovino_59 Posts: 1,700
    Options
    This just seems like a BASH THE US thread, I am proud to live here and to take part in the democratic process that we freely enjoy. I think all of those who posted negatively wish they were here!
  • Onesnap
    Options

Because I can. Its my right. I dont have to have a gun. Its not mandatory. But I can tell you right now if it comes down to someone breaking into my house and hurting my family, Im not waiting for law enforcement. Its for protection.

Every state has unique laws in regards to guns. In some states it's actually hard to get a license to carry (my husband and most of my friends have this license, but they don't carry every single day. It's not the Wild West.)
  • laeliaperogie
    Options
    Ron paul for president
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest, I loathe America. I could go all episodic essay on why I hate my own country, but I think I can sum it up in two words: Willful ignorance. Americans are willfully ignorant because learning what is really going on in the world and inside their own country would contradict their conditioned view of America.
    You know every American in the United States? Wow. Loathe is a strong word. If you loathe the United States, why are you still living here? I'm also curious on what you've done to make a difference here, other than writing episodic essays on why you hate your own country.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    Tell me which other countries has a policy in fill-out application forms indicating their ethnicity or race. Only in the US. Not to mention that they love to give out stupid useless labels to minorities such as "Hispanic/Latino", "Asian". FYI Hispanic belongs to the Spaniards & not all Latin Americans have direct Spanish lineage. Asia is a CONTINENT & saying one is of "Asian race" is such stupid. The funny thing is that the term "Asian" doesn't include Middle East, Central Asia or sometimes even India as part of "Asian" category whereas they are technically part of Asia.

Every country I've lived in. It's not because the government is racist, it's for social profiling and can be used for good instead of evil. FOR EXAMPLE: understanding that a particular ethnicity is more prone to / exempt from certain cancers or diseases leads to research which can potentially provide vaccines / cures etc. You have to learn to look at the glass half-full aspect of this!

OK if that is the case then why the inaccurate label? For example the label Hispanic/Latino, as I said a while ago its not an ethnicity & many Latin Americans don't have direct Spanish lineage to qualify for that Hispanic label. A Mexican of mostly Indigenous descent & a white Argentine who is of German descent are ethnicities apart & yet there in the US, both of them are called Hispanics :noway: Yes we speak Spanish but it doesn't make us Spaniards anymore than a German who is fluent in Japanese language be called Japanese.

And Asian race? C'mon its not a race nor ethnicity, it simply means anyone from the CONTINENT OF ASIA which happen to include Middle East & Central Asians & yet the US defines them as "White".

Seriously? I refer to people who are either Chinese, Japanese, Korean or whatnot as Asian simply because I cannot tell the difference. I refer to people in the middle east as middle eastern - I do not call them white.
  • Devlyn_P
    Devlyn_P Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    This is the only country I know people kill themselves to get over here whether its getting shipped here via cargo container, getting smuggled in a trunk across the border, or floating on a car door. Once here, they show up for all the benefits they can qualify for such as ssn/welfare etc. I hear people that live in this country bad mouthing and it's like if you are not happy here, leave? I served 10 years in the Marines and I am happy to live here :)