Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Ron paul for president

Yay!!!

^
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    We are not perfect all you have to do is look at the government assisstance programs and how easy it is to get this assisstance in many states and to live off of it. All you have to do is walk into any grocery store at the beginning of the month where I live and watch people fill their carts pay with a benefit card then walk outside and load their groceries in a new vehicle. Or buy steaks for their dogs because dog food is not covered (True story I was behind this in line one time) . It just shows how easy governments can be manipulated.

Seen this too many times in line, I have my cart filled with generic food. The lady in front of me buys food with her money. Then does a separate purchase of name brand name juices and bread using her WIC card. Or, they buy their food with Food Stamps. Then a separate purchase by cigarettes with their own money. Or paying for their food with Food Stamp, meanwhile they and their kids have smart phones and I have a crap phone and I paying for all of my generic label food for my family of 8!!
  • dyannajoy
    dyannajoy Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    * Universal healthcare. Why anyone could possibly be against the idea of affordable healthcare for EVERYONE is beyond me. I've been in and out of the hospital several times since moving here... having babies and breaking bones. Not once have I been hassled for insurance papers. Not once have I seen a medical bill... there is no such thing as a billing department. In fact, there is a cashier who GIVES poorer people money so that they can afford transportation to and from the hospital.
    All prescriptions are the same price... every single one. My birth control? Free.

I totally agree....our healthcare here is criminal. I know way too many people who are trying to figure out if they should buy medication or food....including my own parents!! And my father is a veteran!!!!!!
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options

I am all for helping the poor, but when do the poor have to help themselves? When we have generations of people on government assistance, some of us getting tired of it. My husband busts his butt to support his family and it is upsetting to see our high teenage pregnancy rate, when you know that these girls grew up on government assistance and now they are receiving it with their children. I am not making this up, I see it in our community. I even spoke to our Superintendent about how can we emphasize that education is best for these young girls and not their boyfriend. Again, the school can only do so much, those values can only come from home.

I agree that it is upsetting to see generations of people living off the government and producing children like rabbits....however, since when does that make it ok to punish the children? And the way the system is set up, it is hard for the poor to help themselves. They are usually uneducated, as the public school system there is terrible, and only a lucky few get a chance even. I just do not understand how keeping them well below poverty lines and unable to obtain education and health care is going to help them, or how given that, we can even except the masses to help themselves.....
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Personally I wish I could pack up all my loved ones and leave America. Unfortunately I teach classes in human differences at a University where I am forced to face the dark side of the US on a daily basis. The drugs, guns, shootings, horrific crimes of everykind, homelessness, joblessness, desperation in peoples lives, lack of health care.......I could go on and on. I am soooooooo tired of how we live here. I want peace and safety for all. Today I am VERY sad about the state of the U.S.
    I'm sure you can find a job in your field elsewhere.
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness is what it means to my family & I to be an American.

I have all of that here.
  • dyannajoy
    Options
    I'm Canadian, not far from the border but haven't been to the USA since passports are required to go over there. I used to go on roadtrips through the States, love North Carolina, it is so pretty there.
    I see the USA as a huge waste of potential. There are so many people left out in the cold due to economics. It is too hard for poor people to get educated, for poor people to get adequate health care. The US is a superpower now but imagine if they actually took care of all of their people? Could be scary, could take over the world!
    I was in Washington DC shortly after the US invaded Iraq in a march protesting the invasion and met some very nice people. A lot of curious citizens asked about our picket signs and almost all of them had no clue about anything, I found it pretty sad. I find the news in the USA to be very biased and brainwashing, and the people easily led without thinking for themselves.

I completely agree with you. We are becoming a HUGE waste of potential! It is heartbreaking.......
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Let me start by saying I am Canadian......however, most of my family is American....in fact, I am the only Canadian born person in my family other than my children...even my siblings were American born....

As far as America the country goes, there are many things I find very wrong, I would not live there if someone was paying me....

I agree 150% with this statement that was made:

"I can't get over the fact that someone like Rick Sanitorium could run for president and spread his hateful views on gays, coloured people and women, and name it all as a religious virtue."

That pisses me off like you would not believe.....in the same token, I also do not understand how you can have someone like Ron Paul running as well, after seeing a Q&A with him where he was asked about health care for the poor, and his reply was something along the lines of 'why is it our responsiblity to take care of everyone'......I almost got sick....

My sister is a hardcore Republican, although when asked, she will claim she is 'undecided', however, she liked Bush, HATES Clinton and Obama, and thought "Socialized" medicine is a terrible idea.....

I do not understand the idea behind the very rich getting the biggest tax breaks.....capitalism is a nightmare it seems.....

I also do not understand what is up with health care over there, why do they seem to have so much money for the military but none to take care of its most in need citizens....

I know our military here in Canada is a joke compaired to lots of other countries, and when war starts, we send our one boat over with our 12 soilders, but personally, I would rather have other perks......

Speaking of war and such, why do guns seem to be such a giant problem in the states? Why does it seem like everyone has a gun? And its easy for any nutjob to get one it seems to.....

And not only does it seem that everyone needs a gun, but you even have people that make it their mission to make sure everyone has the right to a gun....really? REALLY?? Are their not better things to fight for.....like perhaps health care? Blows my mind.....

Also, why does it take so long to make sure everyone has human rights over there? Like seriously, what is the hold up? Not only in history was America way behind the times with the end to slavery and civil rights for black people, but I cannot get understand why it is 2012 and homosexuals do not have equal rights yet.....what is the deal with that?

Speaking of human rights, I also cannot believe that America still has capital punishment.....with, the saddest part of that, again, being rights for those with less.....most people that have been murdered by the state that were innocent were people that did not have enough money to pay for proper defence, and in many cases, black males....so I guess that falls right in line with all the other human rights issues America seems to have. And it even STILL happens....Troy Davis anyone??

Speaking of the justice system.....Canada's is not perfect either, but why is it that Casey Anthony and George Zimmerman are still walking free and Troy Davis is dead and Buju Banton is rotting away in jail? Makes NO SENSE.....something is wrong there, and I hate to say it, but it seems like the darker your skin, the more likely you are to be found guilty, if you committed the crime or not....

Alright, I could go on and on about the flaws of the US as a whole, but let me bring something else to the table....

When I read the OP, I thought he meant why do people around the world have a dislike for Americans as people, and I can answer some of that too.....

While I love Americans, including my family, I have to admit, they are some fo the worse tourists EVER! This is why many Canadians make it known they are Canadian when travelling...LOL

First off, I worked as a tour guide for years and Americans were always shocked to learn we are not just like them, no you many not bring your gun with you, and yes, we have equal right for everyone! Last time I checked, We The People meant EVERYONE, not just the ones just like you!

I work in retail now, and again, Americans are the only ones, that not only will routinely ask if the prices are in US dollars, (like seriously, I would NEVER go to another country, and expect that the prices are in MY homelands currency), but will then also get upset I do not have US money in the til to give them change....really? REALLY??

All this said, one last gripe I have about America as a whole is if it was not for Bush, we would have legalized weed in Canada by now....but he threathened to close the borders....so after only ONE day of being legal, we all went back to being criminals....why are Americans so up tight about weed? Its an herb, grown in the ground, by God.....it seems like a lot of Americans think it is a drug equal to crack or something.....trust me, the only thing in danger when someone is high on pot is leftovers.....here in Canada, though it is not legal per se, one can smoke pretty openly, I basically smoke anywhere that people are smoking cigarettes and have never had a problem....you could never do that in the states.....

Canadians aren't the best tourists either it goes both ways. When I was in college and waited tables we all would run and cringe at the thought of having to wait on Canadians because we knew they wouldn't tip. FYI in America servers work for their tips.
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    politicians here are most of the problem I think. I'm ex military and one of the biggest complaints I have herd there is that the wars are far too political. they don't allow the military to do their job half the time and it drags out these wars that they should have never caused by being lousy politicians.

most people that I know that don't like the US have no problem with it's citizens because the majority of us are pretty chill even though our leaders are fairly corrupted.

We started as a republic and have slowly changed into a democracy.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I appreciate our military and the sacrifice that they give to defend our freedoms and to pretect this great nation.
    Our military men and women sacrifice for other nations as well!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me very sad.

I am a proud American. I am also a Texan! I have guns. Lots of them. Its my right as an American to bear arms. I have a right to defend my family and my home. I appreciate the choice to own them if I so wish. There is a sign outside of my home that says "nothing in this house is worth dying for" and WE MEAN IT.

I appreciate our military and the sacrifice that they give to defend our freedoms and to pretect this great nation.

Unfortunately not all Americans feel this way. Like my friend said earlier thats the great thing about living here, if you dont like it you have the choice to leave.

I wish we could come together as a nation cause were falling apart.

P.S. we do not refer to african americans as "coloureds" as a few of you did earlier and neither did Rick Santorum.
    P.S.S. our leadership sucks right now. however, fortunately we get to vote soon. oh yea another right i have as an American.

I noticed a bit of sarcasm in your post, and sure you do have the right to bear arms, here in Canada we do not. And as a Canadian, it seems odd to me that the general public can just walk around with a gun. I think if I were to go to Texas (which I would love to visit) I'd be all, "OMG HE'S GOT A GUN!" every time I saw one, it's just not natural for me.

Amen! Not only do I not own a gun, like many Candians, I do not feel the need to own a gun.....Why do you feel you NEED a gun??
    Have you seen the crime rate in america?
  • Doreen_Murray
    Doreen_Murray Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Ron paul for president

Ha! Sneaky sneaky...I like Ron Paul too and his campaign is the first I've donated to. I can't vote for someone just to go against another...I can only vote for what I believe in and he sings it! :drinker:
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I've worked with people from all over the world.

I've traveled to many other countries and island nations.

I think "hating America" is a strong phrase.

I will say that the ONLY time my European colleagues were proud of us is the day we nominated Obama. Since then it's been a slide down a slippery slope. Those colleagues did not like Bush I or II at all.
  • JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I'm from Scotland and I love America. Have only been to Washington though.

If you love America while only being to Washington ( if you meant D.C. ), then you will really love the rest of it! Every American hates D.C. Lol ;)
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    * Universal healthcare. Why anyone could possibly be against the idea of affordable healthcare for EVERYONE is beyond me. I've been in and out of the hospital several times since moving here... having babies and breaking bones. Not once have I been hassled for insurance papers. Not once have I seen a medical bill... there is no such thing as a billing department. In fact, there is a cashier who GIVES poorer people money so that they can afford transportation to and from the hospital.
    All prescriptions are the same price... every single one. My birth control? Free.

I totally agree....our healthcare here is criminal. I know way too many people who are trying to figure out if they should buy medication or food....including my own parents!! And my father is a veteran!!!!!!

Why should our tax dollars pay for your birth control? How is that tax payer responsibility? The less government involvment the better. We should be able to make our own decisions about our health care. Why is it any politicians business about my health? Its not. I have great medican insurance and its affordable to my family. I dont make a ton of money but I make a decent salary.
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    Let me start by saying I am Canadian......however, most of my family is American....in fact, I am the only Canadian born person in my family other than my children...even my siblings were American born....

As far as America the country goes, there are many things I find very wrong, I would not live there if someone was paying me....

"I can't get over the fact that someone like Rick Sanitorium could run for president and spread his hateful views on gays, coloured people and women, and name it all as a religious virtue."

That pisses me off like you would not believe.....in the same token, I also do not understand how you can have someone like Ron Paul running as well, after seeing a Q&A with him where he was asked about health care for the poor, and his reply was something along the lines of 'why is it our responsiblity to take care of everyone'......I almost got sick....

My sister is a hardcore Republican, although when asked, she will claim she is 'undecided', however, she liked Bush, HATES Clinton and Obama, and thought "Socialized" medicine is a terrible idea.....

I do not understand the idea behind the very rich getting the biggest tax breaks.....capitalism is a nightmare it seems.....

I also do not understand what is up with health care over there, why do they seem to have so much money for the military but none to take care of its most in need citizens....

I know our military here in Canada is a joke compaired to lots of other countries, and when war starts, we send our one boat over with our 12 soilders, but personally, I would rather have other perks......

Speaking of war and such, why do guns seem to be such a giant problem in the states? Why does it seem like everyone has a gun? And its easy for any nutjob to get one it seems to.....

And not only does it seem that everyone needs a gun, but you even have people that make it their mission to make sure everyone has the right to a gun....really? REALLY?? Are their not better things to fight for.....like perhaps health care? Blows my mind.....

Also, why does it take so long to make sure everyone has human rights over there? Like seriously, what is the hold up? Not only in history was America way behind the times with the end to slavery and civil rights for black people, but I cannot get understand why it is 2012 and homosexuals do not have equal rights yet.....what is the deal with that?

Speaking of human rights, I also cannot believe that America still has capital punishment.....with, the saddest part of that, again, being rights for those with less.....most people that have been murdered by the state that were innocent were people that did not have enough money to pay for proper defence, and in many cases, black males....so I guess that falls right in line with all the other human rights issues America seems to have. And it even STILL happens....Troy Davis anyone??

Speaking of the justice system.....Canada's is not perfect either, but why is it that Casey Anthony and George Zimmerman are still walking free and Troy Davis is dead and Buju Banton is rotting away in jail? Makes NO SENSE.....something is wrong there, and I hate to say it, but it seems like the darker your skin, the more likely you are to be found guilty, if you committed the crime or not....

Alright, I could go on and on about the flaws of the US as a whole, but let me bring something else to the table....

When I read the OP, I thought he meant why do people around the world have a dislike for Americans as people, and I can answer some of that too.....

While I love Americans, including my family, I have to admit, they are some fo the worse tourists EVER! This is why many Canadians make it known they are Canadian when travelling...LOL

First off, I worked as a tour guide for years and Americans were always shocked to learn we are not just like them, no you many not bring your gun with you, and yes, we have equal right for everyone! Last time I checked, We The People meant EVERYONE, not just the ones just like you!

I work in retail now, and again, Americans are the only ones, that not only will routinely ask if the prices are in US dollars, (like seriously, I would NEVER go to another country, and expect that the prices are in MY homelands currency), but will then also get upset I do not have US money in the til to give them change....really? REALLY??

All this said, one last gripe I have about America as a whole is if it was not for Bush, we would have legalized weed in Canada by now....but he threathened to close the borders....so after only ONE day of being legal, we all went back to being criminals....why are Americans so up tight about weed? Its an herb, grown in the ground, by God.....it seems like a lot of Americans think it is a drug equal to crack or something.....trust me, the only thing in danger when someone is high on pot is leftovers.....here in Canada, though it is not legal per se, one can smoke pretty openly, I basically smoke anywhere that people are smoking cigarettes and have never had a problem....you could never do that in the states.....

Canadians aren't the best tourists either it goes both ways. When I was in college and waited tables we all would run and cringe at the thought of having to wait on Canadians because we knew they wouldn't tip. FYI in America servers work for their tips.

FYI, in Canada servers also do this, the minimum wage is way lower for wait staff than other employees because of this.....I ALWAYS tip based on service, perhaps that was the problem? I have friends that are wait staff, and I did it here and there myself, never found a big problem with fellow Canadians tipping.....
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    We are not perfect all you have to do is look at the government assisstance programs and how easy it is to get this assisstance in many states and to live off of it. All you have to do is walk into any grocery store at the beginning of the month where I live and watch people fill their carts pay with a benefit card then walk outside and load their groceries in a new vehicle. Or buy steaks for their dogs because dog food is not covered (True story I was behind this in line one time) . It just shows how easy governments can be manipulated.

Seen this too many times in line, I have my cart filled with generic food. The lady in front of me buys food with her money. Then does a separate purchase of name brand name juices and bread using her WIC card. Or, they buy their food with Food Stamps. Then a separate purchase by cigarettes with their own money. Or paying for their food with Food Stamp, meanwhile they and their kids have smart phones and I have a crap phone and I paying for all of my generic label food for my family of 8!!

Exactly I know the feeling. They all are wearing designer clothing buying shrimp and lobster and I am buying boxed mac and cheese with the paycheck that I earn.
  • Whodatgirl77
    Whodatgirl77 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of friends in America. I love them to bits. As individuals they're amazing women.

But, err... (damn it, I hope I don't offend anyone right now) monitoring your political situation scares me so bad. Religion has no place in politics and I'm fortunate to live in a country which has separated Church and State.

I just can't get over that you don't have Universal Healthcare.
    I can't get over the abortion bill in Virginia.
    I can't get over the fact that the bill to allow employers to pick and choose what healthcare to cover only marginally got kicked out (we're talking like 4 votes between them).
    I can't get over the fact that someone like Rick Sanitorium could run for president and spread his hateful views on gays, coloured people and women, and name it all as a religious virtue.
    And although I love Barack Obama, I can't get over the fact that your President acts more like a celebrity than he does as a ruler of a country.

But your people. I love your people. For the most part. Everywhere has bad eggs. Just your politics I cannot abide.

This! There are lots of individual Americans who are lovely, but the system itself just seems so messed up.

As someone from a "1st world" country, it actually seems completely barbaric that you have to pay for health care in America. I have never in my life met anyone that thinks paying for healthcare is a good thing. In Scotland, and presumably the rest of Britain, the NHS (national health service) is one of our most valuable things.

Also, the guns thing, that is **** scary. I'd never seen a gun in my life till I went on a school strip to the American embassy in London, and it terrified me, can't imagine living somewhere where the police all carry guns and people can actually buy them legally.

And the uber religion - Americans always seem to be terrified of the dangers of fundamentalist Islam yada yada, but don't seem to realise that fundamentalist Christians probably do more harm - as far as I'm aware, the muslim religion doesn't affect laws on a daily basis.

I never met a racist person until I was 16/17, I have yet to this day meet a real homophobic person (beyond ewwww that's gross in highschool), and yes our laws (at least in Scotland, I understand it's more entwined in England) are LAW and not RELIGION. The religious argument has no place in politics.

I think the reason America is so internationally disliked is that it always seems so "big headed", marching into national affairs and acting like king of the world, when it's still internationally regarded as er "stupid". Again, not individual americans, but the stereotype of the dumb american is still very very much alive, and I dunno why, if it's the system, or if it's the steady stream of "only in America" stories (ie people suing mcdonalds for getting fat etc).

It's like, I get it, you're uber capitalists, but you need to find the balance between socialism (GASP! OMG I SAID IT!) and capitalism - when you have people in the ghetto starving and turning to real proper dirty crime for money, or people literally dying of illnesses because they can't afford health insurance, the capitalism has gone too far. If you want your world where you can chase your dreams and become rich, you need to understand it is not possible for EVERYONE to do this - there will always be waiters and street sweepers and people on minimum wage with no health benefits - and to have a truly complete society you need to take care of these people.

Massive rant there, I just have quite strong views, and I wanted to put them carefully so I didn't offend any of the good Americanos :P

And finally, my biggest issue with America... THE PHRASE IS COULDN'T CARE LESS! COULDN'T! COULDN'T!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7O0MFkmpw

I love reading all these different perspectives particularly about how others view healthcare, true separation of church/state, and such. I agree with so many of your points. As someone who's never traveled outside the US, its truly interesting to here real world view and and examples from those outside the US other than just what the media dictates to us. I'm not sure if or how we will overcome some of the things bringing us down at times which is scary.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options

Servers work for their tips here too. I always tip unless it's sh*tty service.
  • dyannajoy
    Options
    Personally I wish I could pack up all my loved ones and leave America. Unfortunately I teach classes in human differences at a University where I am forced to face the dark side of the US on a daily basis. The drugs, guns, shootings, horrific crimes of everykind, homelessness, joblessness, desperation in peoples lives, lack of health care.......I could go on and on. I am soooooooo tired of how we live here. I want peace and safety for all. Today I am VERY sad about the state of the U.S.
    I'm sure you can find a job in your field elsewhere.

yes I could.....but I cannot take ALL of my loved ones with me and that is more important than anything else. I will continue to do what I can to get health care, safety for all, and pray for the best for all.