Views on America

Options

Replies

• Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    This just seems like a BASH THE US thread, I am proud to live here and to take part in the democratic process that we freely enjoy. I think all of those who posted negatively wish they were here!

If you visited other countries a lot (or at least once per year as I do) you would not feel as proud. I have a hard time going through Homeland Security and getting that little passport sticker each time I come back. Hard time as in--I've seen the other side and although it's not 'better' there are a lot of things that are better. Yes, taxes are high in countries like France. If you see the movie 'Sicko' you'll see what I'm talking about (in regards to healthcare).
  • katielauren2001
    katielauren2001 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    We are not perfect all you have to do is look at the government assisstance programs and how easy it is to get this assisstance in many states and to live off of it. All you have to do is walk into any grocery store at the beginning of the month where I live and watch people fill their carts pay with a benefit card then walk outside and load their groceries in a new vehicle. Or buy steaks for their dogs because dog food is not covered (True story I was behind this in line one time) . It just shows how easy governments can be manipulated.

Seen this too many times in line, I have my cart filled with generic food. The lady in front of me buys food with her money. Then does a separate purchase of name brand name juices and bread using her WIC card. Or, they buy their food with Food Stamps. Then a separate purchase by cigarettes with their own money. Or paying for their food with Food Stamp, meanwhile they and their kids have smart phones and I have a crap phone and I paying for all of my generic label food for my family of 8!!

It's really not that simple. Look at society, look at the media. Constantly being told what to buy, what to strive for, "if you don't have this item then you aren't cool". These pressures are still put on kids regardless if they are under class, working class, middle class or upper class.
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me very sad.

I am a proud American. I am also a Texan! I have guns. Lots of them. Its my right as an American to bear arms. I have a right to defend my family and my home. I appreciate the choice to own them if I so wish. There is a sign outside of my home that says "nothing in this house is worth dying for" and WE MEAN IT.

I appreciate our military and the sacrifice that they give to defend our freedoms and to pretect this great nation.

Unfortunately not all Americans feel this way. Like my friend said earlier thats the great thing about living here, if you dont like it you have the choice to leave.

I wish we could come together as a nation cause were falling apart.

P.S. we do not refer to african americans as "coloureds" as a few of you did earlier and neither did Rick Santorum.
    P.S.S. our leadership sucks right now. however, fortunately we get to vote soon. oh yea another right i have as an American.

I noticed a bit of sarcasm in your post, and sure you do have the right to bear arms, here in Canada we do not. And as a Canadian, it seems odd to me that the general public can just walk around with a gun. I think if I were to go to Texas (which I would love to visit) I'd be all, "OMG HE'S GOT A GUN!" every time I saw one, it's just not natural for me.

Amen! Not only do I not own a gun, like many Candians, I do not feel the need to own a gun.....Why do you feel you NEED a gun??
    Have you seen the crime rate in america?

Yeah, cuz everyone owns bloody guns! And they are so easy to get! Have you seen the crime rate here in Canada compaired to yours?
    It's not the legal guns killing people. It's the illegal ones.

But don't all guns start as legal guns? (Unless someone is shipping in guns from another country)
  • jjean905
    jjean905 Posts: 175
    Options
    This topic brings up a trip me and my husband took 4 years ago. We went to the Dominican Republic and although the location was beautiful, our vacation was almost ruined by rude Europeans. A specific incident that comes to mind....we were waiting in a long line for the beach buffet, when I finally reached the food and just as I was standing in front of the food, an arm literally reaches in front of me and grabs the last piece of chicken. REALLY??? Why would someone reach in front of someone for food? Found out later, she was European. Also, throughout the entire week, we would say hello to other guests only to be ignored and scowled at. We couldn't figure it out until almost the end of our trip when we met a fellow American that spoke French and she told us that she overhead many European guests saying how rude and spoiled us Americans were. I couldn't believe it...WE were the ones saying hello all week long and THEY were the ones ignoring or scowling at us.

Now with that said....I can't say that I hate or dislike all Europeans but don't understand some of their views towards us. A few bad apples don't make the whole orchard bad!
  • laeliaperogie
    Options
    Ron paul
  • Onesnap
    Options
    This is the only country I know people kill themselves to get over here whether its getting shipped here via cargo container, getting smuggled in a trunk across the border, or floating on a car door. Once here, they show up for all the benefits they can qualify for such as ssn/welfare etc. I hear people that live in this country bad mouthing and it's like if you are not happy here, leave? I served 10 years in the Marines and I am happy to live here :)

The 500 children of illegal aliens in my town's school system alone agree with your point. They are getting a free education on my dime.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I understand that the person who started the thread asked for the opinions but as I go through the thread reading I just have to laugh at how ignorant some of the responses are. I am not trying to be mean but really all you have to do is see the high rate of people trying to get citizenship here and the fact that there are quite a few people here illegally. As for politics all countries have their own problems no matter where you live. If people were to go back and brush up on their US history they would understand why and how this country was settled. As for complaining about our school systems when you have never attended an American school...... Lets just say I would not complain about your school system.

Really? You are calling people ignorant for speaking poorly of our educational system? Have YOU ever attended school outside of America? Have you ever read a report on how POORLY our educational system is doing in regards to the rest of the world? Obviously not. I actually did attend school in the United States (in 9 different states) as well as in Argentina and in Spain. I can honestly say that the education I received outside of the USA was by far superior than any that I received in the USA. I even attended one of the top high schools in the country for about a year and a half (clearly, my family moved around a lot), and it didn't even come close in comparison to the studies I received outside of the US. Before you call someone ignorant for not attending a US school, you may want to step back and take a look at the bigger picture.

Good for you. Yes I attended school outside of the US. It is ignorant to discuss educational systems you know nothing about. I do not express my opinion unless I personally have experienced it. Most of these people are going on stereotypes and generalizations so before you attack people you should read what they write.
  • dinovino_59
    dinovino_59 Posts: 1,700
    Options
    you are being protected while you are home...
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I love the States, but their military interventions in places where they have no business being (Iraq, Afghanistan, tons of bases all around the world) rub a lot of people (including me) the wrong way.
    For some reason most of the wars the USA wages to "bring democracy" seem to be located in places where there's a lot of oil in the ground.

You noticed that, too, huh? Pretty sure the liberation of all that trapped oil worldwide is a noble goal, though. Just ask Exxon.
  • TorridSkies4
    Options
    I live in America, and frankly I hate living here.

I work my butt off monday through friday for pay that barely covers my bills and groceries.
    I go to college monday through thursday nights, for which I pay out of pocket for. (yes full time school and work leaves me tired all the time!)
    I don't have any health insurance, so I just try to keep myself as healthy as possible.
    I only get 1 week, yes 1 week of vacation a year - and it's not even paid vacation.
    The political system scares the *kitten* out of me.
    And the way people here view the gay community, and people of other cultures/skin color/etc is just horrific.

The boyfriend and I are just trying to get through college, and then we're looking to gain citizenship elsewhere and get out of here!
  • tarak83
    tarak83 Posts: 40
    Options
    I understand that the person who started the thread asked for the opinions but as I go through the thread reading I just have to laugh at how ignorant some of the responses are. I am not trying to be mean but really all you have to do is see the high rate of people trying to get citizenship here and the fact that there are quite a few people here illegally. As for politics all countries have their own problems no matter where you live. If people were to go back and brush up on their US history they would understand why and how this country was settled. As for complaining about our school systems when you have never attended an American school...... Lets just say I would not complain about your school system.

Really? You are calling people ignorant for speaking poorly of our educational system? Have YOU ever attended school outside of America? Have you ever read a report on how POORLY our educational system is doing in regards to the rest of the world? Obviously not. I actually did attend school in the United States (in 9 different states) as well as in Argentina and in Spain. I can honestly say that the education I received outside of the USA was by far superior than any that I received in the USA. I even attended one of the top high schools in the country for about a year and a half (clearly, my family moved around a lot), and it didn't even come close in comparison to the studies I received outside of the US. Before you call someone ignorant for not attending a US school, you may want to step back and take a look at the bigger picture.

Thank you for pointing this out before me.

As an American mother who is raising two little English girls, I can confirm that they are receiving a much better education than I ever did.

My eldest is nearly done with her second year of full time education. She's 5 1/2.... if we were living back home she wouldn't even be starting school until September. She reads incredibly well... I still can't get over it. I was older than her when I started kindergarten... I went for half a day and the majority of that time was spent playing or tracing out letters in a work book.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I served 10 years in the Marines and I am happy to live here :)
    Thank you for serving for so many years! There are plenty of people who are grateful to you and the others who serve our country.
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options

Good for you. Yes I attended school outside of the US. It is ignorant to discuss educational systems you know nothing about. I do not express my opinion unless I personally have experienced it. Most of these people are going on stereotypes and generalizations so before you attack people you should read what they write.

And exactly which educational system is it that I know nothing about? Refresh my memory please.
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options

Because I can. Its my right. I dont have to have a gun. Its not mandatory. But I can tell you right now if it comes down to someone breaking into my house and hurting my family, Im not waiting for law enforcement. Its for protection.

Every state has unique laws in regards to guns. In some states it's actually hard to get a license to carry (my husband and most of my friends have this license, but they don't carry every single day. It's not the Wild West.)

my husband and I both have our license. he carries pretty much everyday. i do not because i have a harder time concealing it. yes it is not the wild west. its 2012 and lots and lots of criminals are packing heat illegally. I just want to make it a level playing field. I never want to use my firearm (unless at the gun range) but i like knowing its there just in case.
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    I served 10 years in the Marines and I am happy to live here :)
    Thank you for serving for so many years! There are plenty of people who are grateful to you and the others who serve our country.

I am grateful for your service and the sacrifice you and your family made to protect this great nation!
  • kellicrandall
    Options
    I can't get over it either and I live here!
  • Onesnap
    Options

And remember, nothing is free, those of you with Universal healthcare, you pay for it out of your taxes. Nothing is ever free!!

We have Universal Health Care in Massachusetts and we're the only state that does. Yes, we pay for it. And, our employers by law have to offer coverage to their employees to operate here.

Guess what? During this recession our jobless rate was lower than the rest of the US. Our tech and healthcare jobs were still strong during the recession that we just had. It did not HURT our businesses to have universal health care.

Here's the #1 reason I like living in a state with mandatory health insurance (the only one in the US): My friends with small businesses CAN FINALLY AFFORD HEALTH INSURANCE FOR THEIR EMPLOYEES. Bam, done.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Let me start by saying I am Canadian......however, most of my family is American....in fact, I am the only Canadian born person in my family other than my children...even my siblings were American born....

As far as America the country goes, there are many things I find very wrong, I would not live there if someone was paying me....

I agree 150% with this statement that was made:

"I can't get over the fact that someone like Rick Sanitorium could run for president and spread his hateful views on gays, coloured people and women, and name it all as a religious virtue."

That pisses me off like you would not believe.....in the same token, I also do not understand how you can have someone like Ron Paul running as well, after seeing a Q&A with him where he was asked about health care for the poor, and his reply was something along the lines of 'why is it our responsiblity to take care of everyone'......I almost got sick....

My sister is a hardcore Republican, although when asked, she will claim she is 'undecided', however, she liked Bush, HATES Clinton and Obama, and thought "Socialized" medicine is a terrible idea.....

I do not understand the idea behind the very rich getting the biggest tax breaks.....capitalism is a nightmare it seems.....

I also do not understand what is up with health care over there, why do they seem to have so much money for the military but none to take care of its most in need citizens....

I know our military here in Canada is a joke compaired to lots of other countries, and when war starts, we send our one boat over with our 12 soilders, but personally, I would rather have other perks......

Speaking of war and such, why do guns seem to be such a giant problem in the states? Why does it seem like everyone has a gun? And its easy for any nutjob to get one it seems to.....

And not only does it seem that everyone needs a gun, but you even have people that make it their mission to make sure everyone has the right to a gun....really? REALLY?? Are their not better things to fight for.....like perhaps health care? Blows my mind.....

Also, why does it take so long to make sure everyone has human rights over there? Like seriously, what is the hold up? Not only in history was America way behind the times with the end to slavery and civil rights for black people, but I cannot get understand why it is 2012 and homosexuals do not have equal rights yet.....what is the deal with that?

Speaking of human rights, I also cannot believe that America still has capital punishment.....with, the saddest part of that, again, being rights for those with less.....most people that have been murdered by the state that were innocent were people that did not have enough money to pay for proper defence, and in many cases, black males....so I guess that falls right in line with all the other human rights issues America seems to have. And it even STILL happens....Troy Davis anyone??

Speaking of the justice system.....Canada's is not perfect either, but why is it that Casey Anthony and George Zimmerman are still walking free and Troy Davis is dead and Buju Banton is rotting away in jail? Makes NO SENSE.....something is wrong there, and I hate to say it, but it seems like the darker your skin, the more likely you are to be found guilty, if you committed the crime or not....

Alright, I could go on and on about the flaws of the US as a whole, but let me bring something else to the table....

When I read the OP, I thought he meant why do people around the world have a dislike for Americans as people, and I can answer some of that too.....

While I love Americans, including my family, I have to admit, they are some fo the worse tourists EVER! This is why many Canadians make it known they are Canadian when travelling...LOL

First off, I worked as a tour guide for years and Americans were always shocked to learn we are not just like them, no you many not bring your gun with you, and yes, we have equal right for everyone! Last time I checked, We The People meant EVERYONE, not just the ones just like you!

I work in retail now, and again, Americans are the only ones, that not only will routinely ask if the prices are in US dollars, (like seriously, I would NEVER go to another country, and expect that the prices are in MY homelands currency), but will then also get upset I do not have US money in the til to give them change....really? REALLY??

All this said, one last gripe I have about America as a whole is if it was not for Bush, we would have legalized weed in Canada by now....but he threathened to close the borders....so after only ONE day of being legal, we all went back to being criminals....why are Americans so up tight about weed? Its an herb, grown in the ground, by God.....it seems like a lot of Americans think it is a drug equal to crack or something.....trust me, the only thing in danger when someone is high on pot is leftovers.....here in Canada, though it is not legal per se, one can smoke pretty openly, I basically smoke anywhere that people are smoking cigarettes and have never had a problem....you could never do that in the states.....

Canadians aren't the best tourists either it goes both ways. When I was in college and waited tables we all would run and cringe at the thought of having to wait on Canadians because we knew they wouldn't tip. FYI in America servers work for their tips.

Servers work for their tips here too. I always tip unless it's sh*tty service.

Congratulations.
  • laeliaperogie
    Options
    Ron paul for president......dont be an idiot and listen to the media......it is all controlled my the federal government, paul is our only hope, he will show us the destruction the government has been doing to us for years
  • Onesnap
    Options

my husband and I both have our license. he carries pretty much everyday. i do not because i have a harder time concealing it. yes it is not the wild west. its 2012 and lots and lots of criminals are packing heat illegally. I just want to make it a level playing field. I never want to use my firearm (unless at the gun range) but i like knowing its there just in case.

Agreed.