"Big" clohes-what are you doing with them?

Options
As you loose the weight and your clothes size shrinks what are you doing with your "bigger" size clothes? Keeping them for the just-in-case-I-get-back-to-that-size again? Selling them? Giving them away? Just curious since THIS IS where I am right now. And I am having a hard time with some of my "favorite" items, even though they are a size 20 and I now wear a size 14. I have a jacket on today that DOES NOT FIT, since its way to big but I don't want to get rid of it either. I paid WAY TOO much to for it, and my other dress jackets, to just give them away. I do have a consignment shop here in in town that I could sale them at but I know I will NEVER get close to what I paid for them. I don't want to "hang on to them" either because to me that is just setting myself up for failure. So I am struggling with what to do with them. I have probably about 30 items in my closet, if not more, that are too big for me. Why am I having a hard time with this???

Replies

• AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I bring my big clothes and DDs outgrown clothes to one of those clothing bins for donation at my local supermarket.
  • cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    consignment, alter or good will - depending on the emotional attachment / condition of the clothes....
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I sent them to Goodwill
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Sigh. Keeping them around with the idea that I will alter them into smaller sizes, although I know that will never happen.
  • eklopez14
    eklopez14 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I would see if you could get them taken in to fit you now
  • huntindawg1962
    huntindawg1962 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Donating them - I am not saving ANYTHING for the return trip!
  • ox45
    ox45 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Get rid of em! I have donated 6 large garbage bags of clothes so far to the local Goodwill, and then turned right around and bought new clothes that fit right there. No sense spending hundreds on a new wardrobe you will shrink out of in two months!

Nothing makes you look and feel as good about your progress like proper fitting clothes. All of a sudden you see that you have in fact lost all those pounds, and aren't hiding it behind old frumpy clothes.
  • princessruthiebelle
    princessruthiebelle Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    ebay?? or similar sites? ask friends??
    but whatever you do GET RID OF THEM!!
    if its a fave is ther anyway you could get it remade into a smaller jacket?? could remind you of how well you have done and theres no going back once its been made smaller?? if you cand sew that well maybe you have a friend or relative?? or you could pay to have it done?? i suppose it depends on the jacket

good luck and well done!
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    If you paid a ton for something and LOVE it, get it altered. Other than that, get rid of it. Save nothing "just in case" because then there will be a "just in case"...You've worked too hard to revert back to that size 20!
  • skm4jc
    skm4jc Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I gave mine to Goodwill. Believe me, I have favorites too, and I hate to part with things I paid good money for (especially some of those bridesmaid/fancy wear dresses!), but I realized a) I never want to have to wear them again, and as long as they're in my closet, they're fallback), b) It's kind of nice seeing, not only the extra room in my closet, but "shopping" in my own closet looking for the smaller things I kept, and c) even if I paid more than I'll get, the things will make someone else happy, and it's a tax write-off.

I'm very practical-minded, and I've also moved enough to get tired of toting stuff I don't need/wear around. Minimize, clean start! Look how much you've lost! Celebrate it!!! :happy:
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    right now i'm wearing them... :sad:
  • racpatand
    racpatand Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I used to have problems finding clothes big enough that weren't so expensive, I found some at a local consignment store. Now I have an account there and take my clothes there it isn't much but it helps other people that need inexpensive big clothes.
  • mon696
    mon696 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I had the exact same problem! However by getting rid of them you are leaving room for new favorite clothes! You will never go back there and by holding on to them you are just wasting valuable space in your closet. You can put new, cuter clothes in that spot! Don't hold on to your old clothes that don't fit anymore. By letting go of them you are telling yourself you are never going back, only forward from now on! Get some cute clothes that fit, you've earned it!
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Items I absolutely love and don't want to part with, I will have altered. I have given most of my larger items to friends. They love going shopping in my closet!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I gave the really nice work quality clothes to a coworker who is losing weight, too, but a few sizes bigger than me. I gave almost all my sweaters and jeans to a resale shop where the money raised goes towards low cost spay/neuter for pets of low income people.
  • kassied09
    kassied09 Posts: 397
    Options
    For a while I kept them, just in case. Then I realized that is not truely committing and I shouldn't ever need them again! So I gave some to my sister and the rest are going to goodwill.
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I give them to Goodwill just as soon as I am down to the next size! I have no intention of ever wearing them again. Sometimes, they have been new clothes with tags still on them and sometimes I paid a lot for them. Doesn't matter. Don't ever want them again. A few items I have found friends to give them to but otherwise Goodwill get them and I take the charitable donation! Win win!
  • soniams
    soniams Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You are correct about keeping them around potentially sets up for failure. As hard as it is to give up favorite items, I strongly suggest you get rid too big clothing. Chalk up the investment you made on the expensive pieces to a lesson learned and use this to motivate you to keep the weight off. I donated my old clothes to Goodwill. I bought a few. New pieces as I got down 2-3 sizes. I did not,buy many items just enough to have variety for work. When I reach my final weight, then I will rebuild my wardrobe.

One thing I do wish is that I kept one item from my original size. It would have been great to see how far I have come.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I give mine to my Ma, which is a bad thing since she's bigger than I am... Bad because she can fit into my old clothes. I wish she didn't but she's got a lot on her plate right now so I won't pressure her to go to the gym or whatever. But I wish I could just give my old clothes to goodwill, but my Ma might still end up with them cause she shops there!!

I think that getting the clothes you LOVE altered is a great way to keep them in the closet. It might cost ya a little bit but it's better than just letting them rot in your closet because you can't even wear them!

Edit: I forgot to tell you I'm keeping a pair of my 22 shorts and 22 cloth pants to turn into a bag. My friend knows how to make old pants into bags. I'm using the shorts as the bag and the pants as the liner. That way I can kind of compare how big I was by how much cr@p I can stuff into my new pants bag!!
  • JodieElijah
    JodieElijah Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Mine are going to charity :)