"Big" clohes-what are you doing with them?

Options

Replies

• ednawhatnot
    ednawhatnot Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I've got nine dresses scheduled to start listing on ebay tonight, including my absolute favourite silk dress that has seen me through dozens of events. I will be sad to see some of them go but others haven't had much wear and I'll be happy to let someone else enjoy them. Some of my other clothes are going to a friend or are bagged up for the charity shop but my wardrobe clearout will be an ongoing process and I don't plan on keeping anything that is too big.
  • prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I donate all my big, small, don't want any more clothes to the church.....:happy:
  • Bridget0927
    Bridget0927 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Ha! I just did this monday!!! I went thru gave a the "good stuff" to a friend and took the rest to good will.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I usually give mine away to someone in my family that might be able to wear them or sell them in a consignment shop to get some of your money back on them to buy more clothes....That is a win win there!! Or donate them if you don't have time for that. :)
  • Elona_30
    Elona_30 Posts: 66
    Options
    if they are something that you just can't seperate with try and get them taken in, if that won't work then try and find them a good home, do you know anyone that would fit them and would be greatfull to have them?? some times giving them to someone in need or someone that is really struggling will make you feel even better for giving them up :smile:
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Trying to Shrink them. If they do not shrink then I donate them to Good Will
  • radradradradrad
    radradradradrad Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    DO NOT KEEP THEM!!!
    i think if you have BIG clothes and you sometimes wear them because they are super comfy, you will be less likely to notice that you will begin to fit back into them.
    donate them and buy clothes that fit. then you have your new status quo as far as size goes.
  • FammaMel
    FammaMel Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I was just asking this same question on my wall. I have a variety of sized jeans and wondered what the heck I was holding onto some of them for. In the past when I got too small for my clothes a friend went through her closet and, thankfully gave me some to wear. I really need to go through my closet and Goodwill or donate to someone who could use them because I really don't plan on going backwards anymore. I want this to be the lifestyle change I was always searching for...
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I donated everything that got too big for me to Salvation Army, Goodwill, etc.. The stuff that was higher end or I paid a lot more for, I did try to give directly to people I know so they were at least getting a happy home with someone who appreciated it!

I suppose you can always have things taylored if you really love them and it can be done without looking stupid, but instead I'd rather focus on the new small sized items I get to buy now!

BTW...I totally agree with the 'setting yourself up for failure" comment....get them OUT of your home and your life forever.

Good luck parting with the old stuff, and congrats on your success!
  • sandra80
    sandra80 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    a lot went to my mom and sister who are now bigger than me :D
    some went to friends.
    some went to goodwill.
  • deadgirl81
    deadgirl81 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Still wearing them - they're comfy and I can't afford to buy new stuff - plus, makes me feel a bit better knowing that the stuff is much baggier than it used to be :smile:
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    OP, if you're not interested in seeing if it can be altered down for you, you could simply try eBay. You can list it for the price you want or think it deserves even being in used condition, though then you have to factor in shipping costs which would vary depending on if it could fit in one of those flat-rate boxes or not.

As for me, I'll donate my pants and shirts and coats to places that give them to the homeless or a thrift store I trust. I'd send them to Goodwill but I've heard mention that they tend to just throw things away if they don't have room in that particular store and regardless of if it's true or not I won't take the chance.

However I do have a lot of shirts I love mainly for the design/graphics and I have a huge unused canvas so I think with them I'm going to make sort of a quilt on the canvas with the cut out designs and hang it up somewhere. That way I can still look at them and not only enjoy them but have them as a reminder of how far I have come. I'd say I'd just take them to get altered but half of them are so old and have holes, tears, paint and bleach stains that it's not really worth it.
  • panzerhaus
    Options
    I would not keep stuff you don't absolutely love and the things you do love either alter them yourself or have them altered. I would not keep things that do not fit (other than too small ) so you don't have a "fall back" I am in the process of having to try things on and figure out if they are worth keeping or not. I have been suprised at how many things I loved that I am willing to part with. I offer first to friends and family that could use them. Next is a garage sale to try and sell them to earn more money for new clothes :) Good Luck!
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I was just talking about this with a friend. I have lost 15 lbs since January (though only joined MFP in March, so only tracking online from there) and wow, has it made a difference in how my clothes fit! However, I have a lot more to lose, so I am reluctant to buy too many new things right now. I have bought a lot of new work out clothes, but other than that I've only bought some new tops. I am looking forward to having my work clothes taken in, since most things just look ridiculous already, but want to wait another 2-3 weeks before doing so, to ensure I can wear them a little bit longer. I work in a very professional environment and have to look it. When I reach goal weight (31 more pounds) I will buy a new work wardrobe! Until then, I'll alter, cinch and supplement with cheaper items (goodwill, consignment, marshalls and old navy). Then I will be ready to get rid of everything else, either by donating to charity or giving to friends and family who want them.

I don't agree with keeping "back up" clothes, "just in case"....do you keep a back up husband/wife? (I'm not judging if you do!) :tongue:
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    My plan is to donate/sell anything that I don't really care about (like the pair of pants I'm currently wearing that are already a little saggy after only 10 pounds. But I do have a couple favorite items that I am definitely planning to have altered later.
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I cried the first two times I cleaned out my closet.....But I knew I needed to let go. They are just clothes and can be replaced with ones that fit. Yes, it was hard with some items I paid a lot of money for. I found people that could wear that size, and gave the items to them. It was so nice to see the joy on there face getting a new designer wardrobe. Other things I just donated to the local thrift store, and made sure to get a receipt for tax purposes.
  • msudaisy28
    msudaisy28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'm keeping my favorite outfit (jeans and a top) so that when I reach my goal I can laugh at how big they are on me. The rest are going to be donated or altered to fit.

It doesn't really matter how much you paid for something in the past - unless you can return it that money is already spent! What you need to focus on is how much it would cost to keep it and if that's worth it or not.
  • GURLEY_GIRL3
    GURLEY_GIRL3 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    GREAT IDEA!
  • katy4399
    katy4399 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    You are done with them, time to pay it forward :)
  • aleexFIT
    aleexFIT Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Sell them on ebay! A lot of my old clothes have funded some of my new smaller items.

Some other things I give away to charity shops or friends who are bigger (although I find it difficult to do that because I don't want to offend anyone by saying oh look its too big for me now but still fits you!).

I don't see any point in keeping anything too big - I never plan to go back to that size again.