"Big" clohes-what are you doing with them?

Options

Replies

• BoxingAli
    BoxingAli Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I donate them to Big Brothers/Big Sisters or Goodwill. I have kept a pair of pants and a shirt to remind myself where I used to be. Every once in awhile I get them out and am amazed that I used to wear those. Helps keep me motivated to keep losing and never get back to being able to wear them.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Donate to Goodwill and get a tax break.
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I'm taking my favourite items to our market - even if I get next to nothing for them, I know they will go to a good home and I will never need them again.

However, if you have something incredibly special, why not take it to a tailor and see if it can be altered?

I am keeping 1 pair of fat jeans for my before and after shot.
  • toque88
    toque88 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I am giving them away to the charity that calls me next.
  • poledancing_ninja
    Options
    I put the good stuff on Ebay, the other stuff I took to the charity shop, one bag at a time to get a workout in!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Selling, donating to Goodwill, giving away... burning in effigy. Once I deem something even a smidge too large, it's out the frucking door.. Still warm off my body. I will not get fat again.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I kept all of my smaller clothes "just in case", but I've been saving up all of my bigger clothes for a fundraiser yard sale this weekend. Whatever is left will get donated. I am hanging on to one sweater because I have a picture of me at my highest weight wearing it, and I want to take a picture in it when I get to goal. I just put 2 spring jackets in the giveaway pile that I never even got to wear.
  • SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I have donated my professional clothes to shelters/programs where women are working to putting their lives back together from addiction or abuse. A lot of these women don't have appropriate work clothes or interview clothes.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Gave them away to charity, it practically emptied out my closet!
  • sars_68
    sars_68 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I've always given old clothes to charity. But I recently cleared out loads of big clothes I'd hardly worn, so I put them on ebay - made a few pounds to go towards some smaller ones!
  • Kandygirl
    Kandygirl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    goodwill. i hope other people love my fat clothes because im not going back to them
  • Emmabulliemum
    Emmabulliemum Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I just got rid of all my 'big' clothes to the charity shop it's taken a month to do it but I never want to fit into them again so they had to go.

It is really hard especially when something is special to you or you just loved it but it's no longer YOU!

Take the bull by the horns and remove them from your life just like the weight you have lost GONE FOREVER!!!!
  • BowTieBaby
    Options
    If you're crafty - you can up-cycle items into market bags or purses or whatever else you can think of. You don't have to completely part with your favorite clothing :)
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    My big clothes all went to charity or the bin - didn't want to be tempted to gain my way back into them. If I gain now, I have a serious problem :laugh:
  • k7n2w3
    k7n2w3 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    haha i JUST posted about this too! I have been on maintenance for 7 months so cleaned them out of the closet about 7 months ago but kept them on standby in a box. I didn't want to jump the gun as I just hit maintenance. Last night I went through and separated them from donations vs keeping in tupperware. I'm only keeping them because I'm 30 and don't have children so kept things like black suits, yoga pants, and sweaters in the event I have children in the next few years (things that won't go out of style) but NOT so that I can fit back in them otherwise!!! I went from a size 14+ to a size 0/2 so I had several wardrobes worth lol It was also rewarding that after being on maintenance 7 months without gaining a pound back to go through the box and see the size I used to be vs the size I am now and it just reminded me the journey I had and how I've been able to maintain successfully. I'd definitely recommend that experience.
  • mewaybright
    mewaybright Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I donate all my clothes that become too big. I have lost two pants sizes and gone from a large shirt to a medium shirt... so all the pants and shirts were donated... I also have motorcycle gear (jackets and pants) that has become way too big for me which I will actually sell because it is (in my mind) too expensive to donate. I do file on a long form at tax time so all of it gets written off on my taxes, I donate lots of stuff... my way of keeping the clutter down in my house. :happy:
  • JennedyJLD
    JennedyJLD Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's setting yourself up for failure to hang onto the "big" clothes. I was a 14, now an 8, and my mom wears a 12. I've given her everything she wants, and those items that she doesn't want have gone to Goodwill or the Kidney Society! I don't plan to be back ;-).
  • thegeordielass
    thegeordielass Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    If they're not really wearable by others, chucking them. If they're still OK then charity shop.
    I do have 2 ball dresses that are 2 big and my Guide uniform is heading that way and they might end up on ebay.

I do need a bit of a wardrobe clear out to fit my smaller stuff in!
  • PlumeriaToo
    PlumeriaToo Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    This echos others but if it's really a pricey item, have it altered (try the dry cleaners, they may do it) but you can feel good about donating them and leaving room in your closet for the pretty new small sized clothes.
  • jadamuriel76
    jadamuriel76 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I sold some on ebay and used the money towards new, proper fitting clothes. The rest I donated to GoodWill.