"Big" clohes-what are you doing with them?

Options

Replies

• Ding724
    Ding724 Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I've given all my big clothes to friends or donated all my old things EXCEPT for 2 of my favorite size 10 jeans & a couple cute tops so that if/when I get pregnant some day I'll have a few things already :smile:
  • mellabyte
    mellabyte Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    At the beginning of my weight loss, when I was magically shrinking (before the plateaus), my closet needed an overhaul anyway. So I just donated everything to good will, or to friends. I didn't really have anything I was emotionally attached to, and I didn't want to keep any "just in case" clothes, because the less excuses I had, the better. -laughs-

Now, with (hopefully) this last sprint towards my goal, I'd approach it a bit differently. I went down from double digit to single digit sizes...so my relationship with clothes shopping changed. >_>;;; I'd probably take stuff I'm attached to (or pricey) take in if possible, then try consignment, then move to donations. But still no "just in case" stuff. I'll stick with that rule. :)
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I am so there with you sister!

I haven't decided yet either. I did however pull them majority of them out of my closet and shoved them in the cupboard under the stairs - I figure Harry potter is used to loose clothing :)
  • wearechevytough1
    wearechevytough1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I plan on donating them to the Salvation Army.
  • prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I have been giving mine away to goodwill,that is where I ' borrowed' them from anyway. I do have some favorite clothes that I will keep. I would like to suggest to you,that if clothes you paid alot for cannot be altered,try to part with them and make some money for new clothes that fit. I kept a bunch of someday clothes and after alot of years they were ruined by different things... I wish I had made some money back for them.
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    If it's something you love and you think it can be altered, go for it. You will feel better if you are wearing things that fit.

In our spare bedroom I have piles going.... donation, consignment and throw away. I set up boxes. I'm not going to hang on anymore. I'm even going through some of my smaller clothes and trying to decide if they are worth keeping even if they could fit. I have a lot of old work clothes and I haven't had a job for almost 10 years now! LOL

Forget what it cost you. If you really want to hang onto it, invest money into a good seamstress and get it altered. Otherwise let them go.... sell stuff on consignment and save up for a similar item that fits you when you reach your goal.

Don't you deserve to have clothes that fit to show off your hard work? Go for it.
  • christ4life63
    christ4life63 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hi,,, I'm going through the same thing, and I gave all my clothes to the Salvation, I dopped them off to the nearest Fire Dept.
    Have a Bless Day :)
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the topic. I needed it. I think I'm going to give away the stuff that is way too big. Things that are one size too big, I will probably keep. Last year I was on track losing weight, and then I broke my toe and two weeks later I had a kidney stone that needed surgery. Those two things knocked me off the wagon for a while. If I gained 3-4 pounds from this sort of legitimate life event, I wouldn't want to have to squeeze into things.
  • tricia78mn
    tricia78mn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Please consider donating your "too big" clothing to a Domestic Violence Shelter. Many times the women there come with only the clothing on their backs-along with low self-esteem. Pay it forward!! Think about how much you loved those clothes--and how much someone who has nothing will love receiving them. You'll be giving them an immeasurable gift, and can reward yourself with smaller clothing for yourself!
  • karendsmith
    karendsmith Posts: 167
    Options
    giving them away to make room for the new clothes!!! I like the ideas of something favorite getting altered too!!!
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I got rid of all of them. Well, actually I have a few pairs of jeans that are too big that I need to get rid of. I need to do that this week!!
  • krissagirl0709
    krissagirl0709 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Giving them awayy! I can find clothes i love better when I loose weight! I currently have a whole pile im needing to get out of the house lol
  • Fitby31
    Fitby31 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Although I agree giving them is away is good charity..... A few years ago I lost almost 100lbs. I had been big my whole life & had a large collection of cute clothes that I gave to my mother & sister in law. Thinking hell I'll never need these again.

Unfortunately I was wrong. The diet I was on, although effective was not healthy & about 40lbs came back on, then I got preggo, then life got in the way, & along came another 20lbs. Long story short I have been really missing those clothes that I could be wearing now. Instead I bought more clothes...big waste of money. Cute plus size clothes are so pricey!

Just saying you never know what life will bring. Might not be a bad idea to keep them in a box hidden away.
  • mickipedia
    mickipedia Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    eBay baby :)
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    For a while I kept them, just in case. Then I realized that is not truely committing and I shouldn't ever need them again! So I gave some to my sister and the rest are going to goodwill.

Me too!
  • love2cycle
    love2cycle Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    See clothes burn, .Burn, clothes, burn.

Just kidding, actually Goodwill gets them!
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    GET RID OF THEM.

They are just things, and you don't want to go back to them.

Donate them to charity or give them to a friend. Ebay even.

Just get it OUT OF YOUR HOUSE.

:flowerforyou:
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I recently filled up several trash bags and brought them to Goodwill. Much of it was dress clothes and some still with tags...the woman was very happy as, generally speaking, they don't have a lot of donations of plus sized womens clothing.
  • AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into getting things altered? Could be too pricey but for something you love...
  • shannonmann
    Options
    If you paid a ton for something and LOVE it, get it altered. Other than that, get rid of it. thing "just in case" because then there will be a "just in case"...You've worked too hard to revert back to that size 20!

I agree, get it altered! A good tailor is your friend and worth the $$ when you feel great in your favorite clothes.