"Big" clohes-what are you doing with them?

Options

Replies

• ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I gave everything away. Proud to do it. I kept one pair of jeans so I will always remember where I started.
  • bcsrule
    bcsrule Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Church thrif stores and Goodwill
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Yard Sale. Whatever is left, I donate to those organizations that help unemployed women get ready for a new career. If you itemize, it is a great tax write-off as they give you a reciept for the full value of the clothes.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I offer my friends and family to go shopping in my closet. If it fits them, they can have it.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    My club wear I give to Cinderella's closet so a young girl can go to prom and feel pretty
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    once a month I go thru and try things on and things that are to big go to either the viet vets or am vets I have kept 1 pair of pants and a shirt from when I was 367 and put them on maybe once a season to enjoy the absolute hoot it is in size 58 pants and 3x shirt
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I donate them to the thrift store I grew up with.
    My family wasn't swimming in money, and over time I developed an "eclectic" sense of style from frequenting there, even after I could afford brand new clothes. I feel the need to give back to the store, and help out the younger generations of Tubbs's out there ;)

If it's a favourite piece of clothing, I usually pass it along to my sister or best friend, insisting that if they aren't going to wear it, to give it back to me so I can take it to a tailor's to get it taken in.
  • Kendralatricewilliams
    Options
    Garage sale
  • Cindygutie
    Cindygutie Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have been giving them to my sister who is also working on losing weight. But you can also post them on craigslist or ebay.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Get rid of them. You have worked hard, and you DESERVE to have clothes that fit you and make you feel good about yourself. Schlepping around in clothes that are too big and look sloppy will drag you down and do nothing for your self-confidence.

Yes, they were expensive... but the emotional baggage isn't worth it. I wouldn't even pay to have them altered. As soon as something is too big, it's out of my closet and out of my house. I don't need the reminders.
  • kgchisholm
    kgchisholm Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I have a good friend who is right on my weight loss tail, but just a size or so up from me, so as I grow out of clothes and size down, I give her my old stuff. It's worked out really well, actually.

Plus, I still get to see some of my favorite clothes at work - just on my friend and not me :)
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I've found homes for all my unwanted & unneeded clothes. Either given them away or donated them. Makes me feel so happy to help someone else and very motivating to me :flowerforyou:
  • lucky2too
    lucky2too Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I donate my big clothes to a local women's shelter. I do alter some of my favorites, but now they're getting too big....there's only so much you can take in. Through this weight loss journey, I discovered resale and consignment shops.They really help provide those transitional clothes. I do on occasion buy something new when I reach a goal weight.
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Never keep them for "just in case" because that might lead to slacking off and gaining weight again. I donated mine to the Salvation army.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,994 Member
    Options
    My hubby told me to keep them -- that was one of my inspirations to stick with healthy eating this time, lol. I looked into getting some of my nicest suits altered, but the tailor said there was just too much difference, which made me feel great. So, I donated the plus sizes after the hubby got sick of having piles of clothes that no longer fit me all over the house. The Curves where I work out has a collection drive for a charity that provides business-appropriate clothes for folks trying to get into the job market. I sort of wish I had kept one pair of jeans for an after picture, but I guess I can live without the comparison.

Then, I lost more, so I am keeping my size 12 - 14 clothes just in case I have an injury or something and can't work out for months.

I sort of feel superstitious about giving away all my larger sizes, like if you give away your maternity clothes, you are sure to get pregnant, lol.

Isn't this a nice problem to have!:bigsmile:
  • MrsLehman24
    MrsLehman24 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Have a party and burn them!
  • MelissR75
    MelissR75 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Goodwill, coworkers and a shelter my company works closely with! I didnt save anything bc I will never go back to that size again. Out of sight, out of mind!!
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same situation right now. I have a little habit that I'm slightly addicted to designer clothes (a lot of my stuff is stored in the plastic that they came wrapped in, the stuff's like brand new!), so the thought of just giving my stuff away is terrible, especially when I think about how much I'm going to spend to re-build my wardrobe. I've given what I can to Goodwill, but the rest I'd like to recoup some of the money to put towards new.
    I've been giving some things to my mom, she fits into my stuff pretty good. She's offered me money for the stuff, but I feel like a jerk taking it. So I've decided to list some things paired up into sets/collections on Craigslist and Ebay. I figure this way I can get some money to put towards new stuff, while getting rid of the stuff that I absolutely cannot wear anymore.
    There are a few things that were real investment pieces that I am going to get altered because I absolutely LOVE them, but the rest of the stuff I can hopefully sell and refresh my closet with some new skinny clothes!
    It's actually gotten to the point that even some of my "new" workout clothes aren't even fitting anymore. I never thought that I would be frustrated with losing the weight, but it is a little irritating that the workout clothes I bought a month and half ago don't fit me anymore. But I guess I shouldn't complain, it's what I wanted! I've just learned to buy things a size smaller so that they'll continue to fit longer. It's no fun to wear too large pants to a Zumba class and have to rip them up every time you jump =)
  • MsMargie1116
    MsMargie1116 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Never keep clothes for "Just in case", don't want to give yourself an excuse... :noway: I say donate, unless you need some extra cash and they are in good condition, then you can take them to a consignment store and make some money on them. :smile:
  • vlsalvaggio
    Options
    i am donating them to my local chruch which gives them to battered women.