"Big" clohes-what are you doing with them?

Options

Replies

• MsMargie1116
    MsMargie1116 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Never keep clothes for "Just in case", don't want to give yourself an excuse... :noway: I say donate, unless you need some extra cash and they are in good condition, then you can take them to a consignment store and make some money on them. :smile:

Of course, after sayint this, I would suggest keeping one out fit, maybe a top and pants just for comparison sake, to show how far you've come. :wink:
  • missjojo31
    missjojo31 Posts: 150
    Options
    give mine to charity
  • MarincicS
    MarincicS Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I always dump them in the Salvation Army bin and feel glad to go shopping for something fresh and new. Sometimes i feel like i work so i can make money so i can buy stuff to put in the Salvation Army bin so they can sell it in their shops, but oh well.
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options
    I'm donating them. Could you have the clothes you love altered?
  • Sophieliaa
    Options
    Giving them away is always a nice idea - but why don't you get creative and make things out of them?! There are so many nice patterns etc on the internet that are screaming out for material to make them out of!

That's what I do :)
  • txvettegal
    txvettegal Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I wanted NOTHING to do with my "fat" clothes when I lost all my weight. I donated mine to our churches "clothesline" ministry that helps the surrounding area people that need good clothes and can't afford to buy new or gently used. ie: Just recently we had a local family that lost their home and everything else in a house fire so they were able to get clothing to wear so they weren't in their pjs.

I know like you I had my favorites, and you're right, you can not recoup the cost you paid for them but look at it this way, you are on your way to a new life and this investment far outweighs the investment in the clothes that you need to get rid of. :) Give them to a woman's shelter that services battered women that literally have to leave their homes with the clothes on their backs.
  • katscoots
    katscoots Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    DONATE - cuz I am NEVER gonna need them again...:)
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I donated 4 bags to charity but have kept several of my favorites to have altered when I'm at my goal. I also have several items that I will probably give to a friend of mine who is also losing weight but is a size or two bigger than me so she doesn't have to go out and buy new clothes when she's not done losing yet either.
  • tigerdactyl
    tigerdactyl Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    My wife is gathering any clothes that have memories associated with them for a weight loss quilt, otherwise I donate them or give them away.
  • reinventingandrea
    Options
    I've donated all of my big clothes except one pair of jeans (so I can look at how far I've came) to the Salvation Army. I know there are people out there that need them far more than I do.
  • kaspily
    kaspily Posts: 24
    Options
    Donate them and keep the receipt for the tax deduction.
  • wembleyruns
    Options
    Right now they are in a box labeled "pregnancy clothes". We are thinking about having one more kid, and if that happens I'll go through them and see if anything works.
  • lrichardson2360
    lrichardson2360 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I donate the stuff I don't care about and the really nice stuff I try to have altered to fit the new me!
  • LilSomethin
    LilSomethin Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I gave away/donated all my size 10-18's cuz I will NOT allow myself to get back into those sizes. Don't want to have anything in my closet to "fall back on". I have 2 pairs of pants for TOM and that's it!!!! Never going back to the way I was!!!
  • tialynn1
    tialynn1 Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I plan on giving my stuff that isn't ratty to Goodwill. Throwing away some of the clothes that aren't in decent condition. I am still wearing the big clothes. I don't have a lot of smaller clothes yet to wear. So, I am just wearing baggy clothes.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I gave mine to an MFP friend who happens to live locally, which worked out great because I could keep giving her stuff as I shrunk. Luckily we had a similar body type.
  • stacymama5
    stacymama5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    If I had this problem, I would either have my favorites altered and give the rest to Goodwill. Certainly not keep them!

My problem is even though I have lost almost 20 pounds and have been exercising my pants still fit. They are looser but I don't think that I can go down a size.
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I saved mine for a year, used old shirts to workout in and now I donate them to "Out of The Closet" or "Good Will", gave some to co-workers who needed a few things.
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    CannibalisticVegetarian Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    I tried holding on to a few pairs of my near and dear sized 18s and 16s, but was eventually told that it was better to get rid of them than to keep them and give yourself something to move back up to. .. So I've gave (and will continue giving) things away.
  • healthymom76
    healthymom76 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    getting rid of them forever!!!!:smile: