Bye Bye Death Penalty

Options

Replies

• Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I wrote a paper in college about cosmetic companies torturing poor animals in order to test their products. The validity of the testing was often challenged due to the biological differences between man and animal. My suggestion was to do the testing on death row inmates. The results would be accurate and it would reduce the expense to house these inmates long term.

At the time that I wrote the paper, I never had a pet in my life and certainly did not classify myself as an animal lover.
    I kind of like this idea.. o_o
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    The only value I see in harsh sentences for very violent crimes is 1) isolation and 2) deterrence. Rehabilitation is unlikely and not worth the risk of letting the person out. There is little difference in deterrence between life in prison and the death sentence, but I do see it inhumane when innocent people end up on death row over cases with flimsy evidence and even when new evidence arises to exonerate them years or decades later, the prosecution still tries to resist because it would mean they have to admit they were wrong. Plus the death penalty is no more efficient than life in prison and is even costlier with all the appeals going on for years. For those reasons it might as well be abolished.

I'm not a believer in an eye for an eye or revenge because I don't believe anyone that would end up on death row did their crime while having a sound enough mind to consider the consequences. I think everyone is a product of their genetics and their environment and there is no inherent evil in anyone. Its tragic that the crime had to occur and we need to keep them locked up, but I can't try to understand the mindset of someone who does such violent things that I would never do.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    prisons are private there aren't they? so they'll have to build more to house all the inmates, therefore making more money.
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    We don't have the death penalty here in Canada. But I am pro-death penalty as long as it is 100% with out a doubt guilty. A lot of innocent people were killed while it was in place. Granted, the laws and ways to find adequate evidence has changed.

That level of proof is unobtainable. The standard set in the US is without a "reasonable doubt". Unfortunately, like one of the posters a few below this post, there are a lot of people that aren't going to be able to discern even that level.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    The Texans in this thread are living up to their stereotypes from the thread yesterday....
  • SaedElhadri
    Options
    The death penalty is just way too expensive. It costs less to jail someone for life than to fry them. That's why New Jersey got rid of it a few years ago.

Besides, I rather see somone rot in jail everday for the rest of their life than get the easy way out.

The method being used is too expensive. There are several other forms of execution that cost much much less.

Take em out back and shoot the SOB. Military 5.56 ammunition is relatively cheap. Worse case scenario you spend a dollar. Do away with 25+years of death row so housing isnt an expense.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Born and raised in South Florida. We have the death penalty and I hope that never changes.
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    I'm against the death penalty - there have been some cases when the person hasn't been guilty.
    Killing for killing = wrong IMO.

Names?????

LMGTFY: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrongful_execution
  • grinch031
    Options
    I'm against the death penalty - there have been some cases when the person hasn't been guilty.
    Killing for killing = wrong IMO.

Names?????

LMGTFY: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrongful_execution

And more here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innocence_project
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    So they are abolishing the death penalty in CT. I am honestly sickened by this! In my opinion, some people cross a line of doing something/s so horrible that they lost their right to live in our world/society/community and no one is to blame but themselves!

So do you live in one of the 16 (about to be 17) states were there is no death penalty?? I know this is a touchy subject and I truly feel everyone is right in their way of thinking no matter what your stance is on it. Just curious to some of the views on this and the place you live.

For certain offenses it's valid. Instead we're going to keep somebody locked away for the rest of their life and the tax payers have to foot the bill for a murderer? Screw that, fry 'em.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I wrote a paper in college about cosmetic companies torturing poor animals in order to test their products. The validity of the testing was often challenged due to the biological differences between man and animal. My suggestion was to do the testing on death row inmates. The results would be accurate and it would reduce the expense to house these inmates long term.

At the time that I wrote the paper, I never had a pet in my life and certainly did not classify myself as an animal lover.
    I kind of like this idea.. o_o

You kind of like the idea???? I absofreakinglutely love that idea! That's fantastic!!!
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    It's not my place to determine whether someone lives or dies. I don't agree with the death penalty in any circumstances. This is why I didn't get a job with the prosecutors office in GA.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Death Penalty shouldn't be replealed in any state IMO. There are plenty of people that are so horrible that they deserve to be taken out.

People convicted of murder, rape, and child molestation/sexual assult should be put to death. Time and time again these scum are released from prison or are parolled and kill, rape or molest again.

The alternative it to leave them in prison and suck up our tax dollars to keep them alive in what I could only describe as conditions MUCH to good for them. So either way they are a drain and worthless to society.

I personally think that everyone that is on death row right now should have a .45 put in the back of their skull and call it a day. It's quick, easy and economical.

If convicted of a heinous crime, you should get 3 appeals, you fail those, they take you from your trial to the back of the courthouse and put a .45 in your skull. No fuss, no muss.

Sure there may be people that are convicted but innocent....oh well, the percentage is low enough that I'd be willing to take that risk to protect the rest of us.
  • DavetheHYNIC
    DavetheHYNIC Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    So how does the state compensate someone who was executed then found to be not guilty later ? Factual speaking this happened dozens of times in the 20th century. It's easy to say only execute people who are 100% guilty but we live in a society of due process, are u sayin execute people who confess. Google the west Memphis 3 and see about so called confessions.

The death penalty is overwhelming given to poor minority people. Despite what Fox news and the other right wing fascists say in this country poor black men aren't the only people who commit murder. Is the OP life worth more than mine? Cause God forbid her or an other blonde white woman is a victim in my county the DA in my state (NC) couldn't charge capital murder fast enough.

And I'm not even going to go into what Jesus says.............
  • grinch031
    Options
    So how does the state compensate someone who was executed then found to be not guilty later ? Factual speaking this happened dozens of times in the 20th century. It's easy to say only execute people who are 100% guilty but we live in a society of due process, are u sayin execute people who confess. Google the west Memphis 3 and see about so called confessions.

The death penalty is overwhelming given to poor minority people. Despite what Fox news and the other right wing fascists say in this country poor black men aren't the only people who commit murder. Is the OP life worth more than mine? Cause God forbid her or an other blonde white woman is a victim in my county the DA in my state (NC) couldn't charge capital murder fast enough.

The justice system in the US is not fair enough to allow the death penalty. Some of the cases in which it was used are just absurd. See Casey Anthony...I think she was *probably* guilty, but certainly not obvious enough with the evidence presented to warrant facing the death penalty.
  • Marll
    Options

This isn't a race issue like you're trying to make it. Crimes should be punished by death when appropriate, regardless of race, religion, sex, etc. There are plenty of serial killers that are white (most actually if memory serves) and several notorious ones have been put to death (Ted Bundy).

As it stands right now in fact here are the statistics for the number of inmates EXECUTED since 1976 in the US by RACE:

Black: 442
    Latino: 99
    White: 724
    Other: 24

Number of current inmates on Death Row by RACE:

Black: 1,335
    Latino: 394
    White: 1,380
    Other: 80

So, don't come to the argument with nonsensical data in which you feel that minorities are getting a raw Death Penalty deal.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/race-death-row-inmates-executed-1976#defend

Also, I'm no Biblical scholar, but pretty sure it talks often about eye for an eye and punishment in like kind for crimes against your fellow man.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I support the death penalty.
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    So they are abolishing the death penalty in CT. I am honestly sickened by this! In my opinion, some people cross a line of doing something/s so horrible that they lost their right to live in our world/society/community and no one is to blame but themselves!

So do you live in one of the 16 (about to be 17) states were there is no death penalty?? I know this is a touchy subject and I truly feel everyone is right in their way of thinking no matter what your stance is on it. Just curious to some of the views on this and the place you live.

I live for eye for an eye.....whatever you do to someone who be done to you. My boyfriend is a corrections officer and the type of respect they have to give these prisoners is redic. And the benefits they get and everything makes me sick. Less crimes when people were hung in the middle of town for murder
  • Marll
    Options
    Also, rough estimates are that it takes roughly $35,000 a year to house a death row inmate, way more if you add in legal cost of appeals and the courts. I can buy a .45 round for less than $1. Simple economics to eliminate someone that has already been proven to be a scourge.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    This isn't a race issue like you're trying to make it.

I think a decent argument could be made that it is a socioeconomic issue though.