Bye Bye Death Penalty

Options

Replies

• MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with the death penalty, I think it should be banned. You don't teach a thief stealing is bad by robbing him. You don't teach and arson not to burn things down by setting his house on fire and you don't kill a killer. What kind of example does that set? You can't kill because it's illegal but were allowed to kill you if you do so? Umm, no. That's like telling a kid hitting is bad as you spank them.

This is what we need to do......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDO6HV6xTmI

Ummm, people that commit murder have already proven they are not capable of learning right from wrong. It isn't about teaching them anything. It is about ridding the world from their disgusting existence!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I'm of the opinion that jail for life is far worse than death. I'm also opposed to killing anyone, no matter how much I may deem them not worthy of life. I think it's savage, and stoops to levels we should not go in society.
  • MFPAddict
    Options
    There is no such thing as "100% definitely guilty." Makes me ****ing sick we are even discussing this.

Really? So a guy caught on video shooting & killing another person wouldn't be considered 100% guilty?

Makes me sick that my tax dollars are wasted housing scumbags.
    AH Agree!! Side note: I apologize for getting you confused with another peroson before! Truly "my bad"!!:flowerforyou:

Thank you. I appreciate the apology. :flowerforyou:
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I am ok with the death penalty but I am also willing to compromise with those who aren't with these stipulations

extremely small cell with a window so high you can't see out or no window

a cot with a blanket, no padding on the bed

only books about morals and ethics

food that doesn't have a lot of taste to it, no salt pepper, or condiments of any kind, and only water

no television or other forms of entertainment, no pens or paper

They quite literally just sit in their cell waiting for food with no taste and a boring book

I could get behind this on a sliding scale based on crime. While I don't agree with the death penalty, I do think that prison has become far too comfortable. Our prison system appears to be stuck between the philosophies of rehabilitation and punishment and are, therefore, doing neither properly.

TOTALLY agree with you. Sliding scale, absolutely. There are some people who have a chance at rehabilitation, then again, there are serial killers and child rapists, who have no chance at it. Sorry, if you raped a kid once, I don't really think you get a second chance, that's not something that you can say "I made a mistake!" about. Stick em in a tiny little room so they eventually go crazy. There are people in prison who live better than people who have never committed a crime in their lives, not exactly fair.
  • Smackemdanno
    Smackemdanno Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have worked with criminals inside and outside of the fence. There are some who have lost all humanity. You look at them and there is not even a spark of decency left in their eyes. We had one just 2 weeks ago kill a prison guard. He was in for life without a chance of parole. He leaves behind a pregnant wife and young child. Had the death penalty been enacted on this waste of human flesh there would be one more productive citizen living and breathing today. We have one set to fry today here in Florida. We are the only state who gives Texas a run for its money in executions. Ted Bundy was one of them. Do you think he could have been helped? Could he have been rehabilitated? I have never met a rehabilitated sex offeneder of little children. The desires are always there and they function in society only because we have an ankle bracelet around their leg that lets us know where they are every second of every day. Talk about expensive. Sometimes they cut the bracelet and abduct a child and we are the ones who get blamed for these perverts raping and killing little children. As for deterrant, the death penalty is the ultimate deterrant for the convicted murderer. There is no deterrant for some people other than to put them down. Some people would kill even if you had a gun to their head threatening to pull the trigger if they were about to kill someone. Quote from Batman's Alfred, "Some just want to see the world burn". There is no help or cure for these and they will kill again even in prison.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with the death penalty, I think it should be banned. You don't teach a thief stealing is bad by robbing him. You don't teach and arson not to burn things down by setting his house on fire and you don't kill a killer. What kind of example does that set? You can't kill because it's illegal but were allowed to kill you if you do so? Umm, no. That's like telling a kid hitting is bad as you spank them.

Ummm, people that commit murder have already proven they are not capable of learning right from wrong. It isn't about teaching them anything. It is about ridding the world from their disgusting existence!

So just one murder? Okay, what if someone kills someone in a passionate act, as in catching them with his wife and just losing his *kitten*. Should they be executed?
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

So just one murder? Okay, what if someone kills someone in a passionate act, as in catching them with his wife and just losing his *kitten*. Should they be executed?
    Yes. You're not an animal - have some self control. Beat the guy to a pulp, but leave him breathing.
  • sfoxy219
    sfoxy219 Posts: 103
    Options
    I'm Canadian also, and I do agree that if the person is 100% guilty, some people are just evil and deserve to die. For example, there's a murder trial going on in London, ON right now of a man who sexually assaulted and killed a little girl. The most he'll get is 25 years (that's the harshest penalty in Canada), probably eligible for parole after half of that. THAT is sad.

See that is what I don't like. I don't agree with the death penalty but I don't believe letting them live rent free while providing free food and exercise till there time is up and sending them on there marry way. No. If you get life, your in for life. Meaning until you die. Also any and every thing you own will be sold to help pay for your stay. Also I think they should have to earn there food for the day by working in some way. Scrubbing the floors, toilet or what ever.
  • MFPAddict
    Options

Works for me.
  • zoeluiisa
    zoeluiisa Posts: 392
    Options
    I have worked with criminals inside and outside of the fence. There are some who have lost all humanity. You look at them and there is not even a spark of decency left in their eyes. We had one just 2 weeks ago kill a prison guard. He was in for life without a chance of parole. He leaves behind a pregnant wife and young child. Had the death penalty been enacted on this waste of human flesh there would be one more productive citizen living and breathing today. We have one set to fry today here in Florida. We are the only state who gives Texas a run for its money in executions. Ted Bundy was one of them. Do you think he could have been helped? Could he have been rehabilitated? I have never met a rehabilitated sex offeneder of little children. The desires are always there and they function in society only because we have an ankle bracelet around their leg that lets us know where they are every second of every day. Talk about expensive. Sometimes they cut the bracelet and abduct a child and we are the ones who get blamed for these perverts raping and killing little children. As for deterrant, the death penalty is the ultimate deterrant for the convicted murderer. There is no deterrant for some people other than to put them down. Some people would kill even if you had a gun to their head threatening to pull the trigger if they were about to kill someone. Quote from Batman's Alfred, "Some just want to see the world burn". There is no help or cure for these and they will kill again even in prison.

"Fry"? That makes me sick.
  • doorki
    Options

Yes. You're not an animal - have some self control. Beat the guy to a pulp, but leave him breathing.

but in a society with the death penalty, you are taught that death is the ultimate punishment and in a rage addled mind, you revert to basic lessons - This person deserves the ultimate penalty - and there you go.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I'm an "eye for an eye" kind of person but at the least, I think public hanging should be the death penalty. Lethal injection is too quick and not painful enough.

I don't have a problem with the way things were handled long ago. When a woman was beat by a man, you could easily find 10 men to kick his *kitten*. Someone hurt a kid, the dad would probably take care of it himself. Now, criminals get some many rights and so much protection, tv's in jail, video games. It's almost like a strcit but free vacation for some of them.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I think serial killers should be eliminated, there is no amount of therapy that will turn "psychopath" off. I don't know why I should pay for their room and board in prison for life. Seems unfair. A 25 to life sentence costs tax payers $300,000 each.

I vote against the death penalty for serial rapists. I think they should just be 100% castrated and continue to live that way as a lifelong reminder of the trauma they inflicted on their victims. Also, if it were possible, to lobotomize parts of their brain that allows them to enjoy torturing children and women.

I don't think this would do anything but make people who had nothing to do with the crime or the victim feel better. It doesn't 'fix' anything.

Ironically, getting hit by my mom was the only thing that kept me out of fights at school.
  • MFPAddict
    Options
    "Fry"? That makes me sick.

I agree. Fry is what you do to a delicious potato. Incinerate would be more appropriate for scumbag murderers.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

but in a society with the death penalty, you are taught that death is the ultimate punishment and in a rage addled mind, you revert to basic lessons - This person deserves the ultimate penalty - and there you go.
    You're also taught that it's a punishment that can only be bestowed by a jury of your peers. I understand what you're saying, however and I think this is the perfect example of where civilian gun ownership being legalised is at fault.
  • sfoxy219
    sfoxy219 Posts: 103
    Options

I didn't mean teaching them, I meant more so teaching society but I can see how I made that a bit confusing. A slow, miserable life locked in a little cell never to see family or anyone but other killers is worse than the quick easy and painless way out in my opinion.

Yes just one murder makes you a killer no matter the cause. "as in catching them with his wife and just losing his *kitten*" That is a terrible excuse to kill someone. Get a divorce don't kill them. Losing his *kitten*? Yes he is dangerous. If he kills every time he loses his *kitten* why wouldn't you lock him away?
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

It's actually very easy to accidentally kill someone. How do you differentiate between manslaughter and murder I in the jealous rage situation?
    You're also taught that it's a punishment that can only be bestowed by a jury of your peers. I understand what you're saying, however and I think this is the perfect example of where civilian gun ownership being legalised is at fault.
    I think this topic has very little to do with civilian gun control.
  • doorki
    Options

True on the jury of your peers point but some people's thought processes disagree with that even in their calmed mind.

I was avoiding going into the gun argument but I agree with your point =)
  • elimendoza31
    elimendoza31 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    "While some states try to abolish the death penalty, my state is putting in an express lane" Paraphrased from Ron White..
    LOL..:laugh:
  • polaris8
    polaris8 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If even one person is wrongly put to death (and we know with absolute certainty that scores have) then I cannot support it.

This sums it up for me, Even if the State takes just one life in an unjust way, the system no longer has legitimacy or credibility. It's too grave of a mistake to give into public sentiment that seeks vengeance. Having lived in both the US and Europe, the perspective on things is very different. The paradox to Europeans is that the US always preaches about the moral high ground and human rights but then there are many US States that still have the dealth penalty. This seems like hypocricy to many people. The only G8 country other than the US with the death penalty is Japan. Take a look at this map, the US is in the company of countries with the worst human rights records in the world when it comes to the death penalty. It just doesn't make sense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Use_of_capital_punishment_by_country

Anyway, well done to Connecticut!