New Bacon Sundae from Burger King

Options

Replies

• myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Two please.

I love bacon gelato (a local place makes it) but when you count the calories on the Burger King offering you'll have to eat them in extreme moderation.

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/eats/burger-king-bacon-sundae-menu-article-1.1094390

"The salty-sweet dessert clocks in at 510 calories, 18 grams of fat and 61 grams of sugar."

Two people eating one of them would make it a pretty rational dessert, as the occasional treat.

But you can skip the sugary sauces and give me good-quality dark chocolate, some good ice cream or gelato, and a nice piece (or two) of top-quality bacon. My calories are too precious for the quality of ingredients Burger King is going to use on something like this.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    Options
    I must be the only person in the world who finds bacon absolutely disgusting. :sick:

Yes. Yes you are. But we love you anyway. :flowerforyou:

Now shoo and let the bacon lovers talk about our love of bacon. :wink:
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    While the contents of the sundae could not be confirmed

Pretty yucky combo either way.. Guess thats not helping the over all American healthy diet. Ice cream= mostly sugar+fat some calcium, Bacon =sat fat+cholesterol some protein. I know lets combine them...
    16.gif16.gif

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTYZHKES5zilWsJGbBfT38ZuYlm-evb_l_vBV36usTwdkZvaGJv
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Yuck! I generally don't like bacon or pig and that's just gross. The only way I can have a sandwich with bacon is if it's an egg sandwich or BLT. I had my first Bacon Cheeseburger which was a small 1/8 of a pound and I threw up - last year at 27. Never again. :laugh:
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    Options
    i love bacon, but i don't get the appeal here. lol

To each their own. There's a local gelato place that combines sweet vanilla gelato, very dark chocolate bits, and crisp-cooked bacon. Sometimes instead of vanilla they make it out of maple syrup gelato instead. Either way, it's absolutely to die for, and every time they make it I have to go have one.

But I only have a small, which works out to about 250 calories, and I buy a cup of dark-roast coffee and make it a pleasant half hour savoring every single bite.

I can't say I'd find the Burger King variant appealing, but that's more to do with ingredient quality of BK in general than the fact that they are attempting something like this.
  • Healthy_Melva
    Healthy_Melva Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    i read the title of this topic and almost threw up slightly

I saw this on the news last night and did the same thing--gag! The anchorman said that it is in excess of 500 calories
  • debloves2ride
    Options
    I think it just sounds gross.
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    My issue with it would be crispness. I have to have my bacon super crispy, and I feel like the ice cream would soften it...
  • turningstar
    turningstar Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I just threw up in my mouth a little bit....

I do like frost's and french fries though. Not mixed, just alternating bites
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    Options
    I can't get into the idea. I have nothing against bacon, or icecream (they are both great).. but together? Sounds gross!

Crumble some good-quality crisp-cooked bacon over some good vanilla ice cream. Add some real, dark-amber maple syrup. Then report back.

Seriously. If you can fit it in your calorie budget some day, try it out.

Caution: Contents addictive. Consume with EXTREME moderation.
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Heston Blumenthal has been making this since 2004! (gotta say, i think I'd rather have his....)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heston_Blumenthal#Signature_Dishes

OMG I love that you know him. I adore him soo much!
  • sunnymel126
    sunnymel126 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    My issue with it would be crispness. I have to have my bacon super crispy, and I feel like the ice cream would soften it...

I agree it's a texture thing for me.
  • mindidily
    mindidily Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound very good to me. I'm with the "keep bacon and ice cream separate" crowd.

Anyone ever been to a Friendly's? They have a cheeseburger that, instead of a bun, is two grilled cheese sandwiches...I really want to try one, but I first have to find people to split it with! Even when I used to eat too much, that would be way too much food at once!
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Lol, I posted this to the other thread too but this one is getting more milage so...

I apologize but I'm going to get my food snob on here for a second, please bear with me

I have been to a quite a few high end restaurants (we're talking places you reserve months in advance) and this dish has been happening for quite awhile there. I'm of two minds about it-
    1) Boring, it's been done (and better) and now it's kind of played out.
    2) I think it's interesting ideas from modernist cuisine (or molecular gastronomy as some call it) have begun to filter down and are now more accessible to everyone. Obviously most people will never eat at WD 50, Fat Duck, Jean-Georges or Momofuku/Milk Bar but deserve to play and enjoy food as much as anyone else.

However, if I'm going to eat something like this, I'd rather save that moment for a REAL chef who knows their flavour profiles. I believe The Fat Duck in the UK (Heston Blumenthal's place) was one of the early places to try this and I adore Heston would rather blow my calories for a week trying his than BK's any day of the week.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52391789@N00/526713555/
    (that pic is from 2007 -not mine but it shows how long this idea has been around).

It's actually an AMAZING combination but I doubt BK could do it well. It's all about balance and finesse.

Edit- also LOL at people thinking BK ripped off Denny's. Denny's is not that creative.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    Options

That's a risk if the bacon is allowed to sit in the ice cream long enough or if the bacon is not fully crisply cooked. The gelato place near me messed up one time and soft-cooked the bacon, and the result was excellent maple gelato with salty disappointing little globs of fat in it.

I also went up to the desk and showed it to them, and they replaced it immediately and threw the whole pan out right in front of me once they saw what it looked like and tested the consistency themselves. The woman behind the counter described it as tasting like a "really good date from my boyfriend's perspective". :laugh:

BK seems to be crumbling the bacon on top and including a stick of bacon which has little ice-cream exposure. So, much as I think they'll use horrible ingredients and it won't be worth the calories, they at least have that part right. The bacon should only be exposed to ice cream for any length of time if it's high-quality bacon cooked VERY crisp.
  • LuckyAng
    Options

I agree it's a texture thing for me.

Also, when I eat something sweet I have to have something salty after... so, ice cream and THEN bacon? Yes, please!
  • LuckyAng
    Options

That's a risk if the bacon is allowed to sit in the ice cream long enough or if the bacon is not fully crisply cooked. The gelato place near me messed up one time and soft-cooked the bacon, and the result was excellent maple gelato with salty disappointing little globs of fat in it.

I also went up to the desk and showed it to them, and they replaced it immediately and threw the whole pan out right in front of me once they saw what it looked like and tested the consistency themselves. The woman behind the counter described it as tasting like a "really good date from my boyfriend's perspective". :laugh:

BK seems to be crumbling the bacon on top and including a stick of bacon which has little ice-cream exposure. So, much as I think they'll use horrible ingredients and it won't be worth the calories, they at least have that part right. The bacon should only be exposed to ice cream for any length of time if it's high-quality bacon cooked VERY crisp.

Agreed!!
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Burger-King-Bacon-Sundae.jpg?fedaf9

BRING IT ON............................only 510 calories, 18 grams of fat, and 61 grams of sugary goodness!!!

You can fit it into the macros..................come ON, people!
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I am pregnant..and the baby agrees....we must try this..LOL
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I just threw up in my mouth a little bit....

I do like frost's and french fries though. Not mixed, just alternating bites

Oh, dippin' the fries in the frosty while the fries are piping hot...THE BEST!!! There's something about the sweet and cold vs. hot and salty. YUM! Fries have a much milder flavor than bacon, though. I can't fathom putting bacon on a Sunday. That just turns my stomach.