My rant: Unsolicited Parenting Advice...

Options
123457»

Replies

• atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Let me first state... I effing hate unsolicited advice. Just so we're clear on that.

This weekend, friends and I gather with our children ranging in age from 5-15. My son is 5. He got hit in the face with a basketball - rather hard, his cheek is still blue with a bruise. He comes in crying, I put him on my lap, hug him, someone gives me an ice pack, I tell him he's going to be just fine, etc... About 5-10 minutes later, he's back outside playing.

Two men of the group begin to tell me how I need to make a man out of him and tell him he's fine and to shake it off, not hug him or "coddle him" when this happens. I sit quietly as they continue to discuss this insulting me to my face, stating things like "Seriously, what does he play with dolls and barbies too? You're making him into a homo!"

Now, one of these men is 44, single, with no children, and abused as a child. Frankly, I don't like him at all, but that's not the point. He particularly has no right dispensing advice.

After remaining silent, there's a lull and I simply say, "That was fun, I hope you enjoyed yourself. But I'm not taking parenting advice today. Probably not tomorrow, either, just so you're aware." Smiled, and walked away. I'd have rather taken a ridge hand straight to his trachea.

I will parent as I see fit. I do not need anyone's opinion on how I choose to raise my child. Not only that, but It's insulting to think that how I behave has any bearing on whether or not my child is going to be gay... and I'd love him just as much regardless.

Rant over. /sigh

re "That was fun, I hope you enjoyed yourself. But I'm not taking parenting advice today. Probably not tomorrow, either, just so you're aware." Great comeback!! I would have just smiled and walked away. Mostly because I'm not so terribly witty when I want to be. My wittiness factor decreases dramatically in these type of need-for-sense-of-humor situations. And the smile and walk away option is the best case scenerio because usually I just *look* like I'm going to say F U. Which comes across really obvious and rude... and shuts up the entire room/area for a bit. Which could be quite embarrassing if I had any shame at all.
  • hikezilla
    hikezilla Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Speaking as a big burly guy, with sons....you should have picked up a pan and clocked the know it all moron in the face with it as hard as you could...then ask him if he would like his mom to hold him now.

Little boys and big boys too, need to have their mother and/or father figures on their sides, without any conditions. It's gives them stability and ability to handle most things that creep up in life.

That guy really needs a good old fashioned country style discussion out behind the barn.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm self editing and shutting my mouth *LOL*