The gym that causes me marriage stress!!

Options

Replies

• doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    So glad my man and I are both lifters. And it's okay to chat with each other between sets, or even during to push one another.

But really, going to Zumba and doing Chuck Norris round house kicks the whole time is also a good option. She won't ask you to go with her any more. Maybe pop on a pink tutu and follow Jim Carrey's lead.
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I workout at home, or take long hikes. Either way, I like to either:
    a. concentrate on what I'm doing if I'm lifting or doing bodyweight moves
    b. concentrate on what I'm doing if I'm doing in home cadio other than the elliptical or step
    c. concentrate on the TV show I'm watching if I'm on the elliptical or step
    d. concentrate on the solitude and beauty if I'm hiking.

My husband comes with to hike and its yak-yak-yak-yak. I'm sure every bird has flown away before we get within 1/4 mile of it with all the noise. Sometimes, I don't mind this, if I am more in the mood for company that day. But what if its a day when my stress level is through the roof and I just need time to think? How do you say, "No, sorry honey. I don't want you with me!"

Don't even get me started on what its like to be in the middle of P90x and turn to pick up the weight you need, only to find hubby is using it right then. Which would be fine if he was the one who bought P90x and a set of weights so he could work out, but I went out and got them for me....

Or to be doing Kenpo and almost kick him in the head because he is trying to do too in our tiny living room.

So far though I've said nothing. I guess peace in my marriage is more important to me than being able to work out exactly the way I wish.

At least I still go swim laps alone, he doesn't like to swim.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Anyone else have to deal with this? Besides using hypnosis, heavy drugs, sneaking out to the gym, hiring someone to be a workout buddy for your wife so she'll leave you alone... any resolutions/ideas/suggestions?

Heh, and people ask me why I took up shooting as a hobby and then married a gun grabber.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    So glad my man and I are both lifters. And it's okay to chat with each other between sets, or even during to push one another.

But really, going to Zumba and doing Chuck Norris round house kicks the whole time is also a good option. She won't ask you to go with her any more. Maybe pop on a pink tutu and follow Jim Carrey's lead.

What if I wear these while doing it?

th?id=H.4961706267576428&pid=1.7
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    jeez...if i had this type of drama in my relationship, i'm pretty sure I'd dump him. She's acting like a child (crying in the public bathroom? Really?) you picked her buddy.
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options

th?id=H.4961706267576428&pid=1.7

Yes, definitely.
  • doughnutwretch
    Options

Nope, you're going to have to go weirder if you want this to work.
  • doughnutwretch
    Options

<-- You can borrow my toilet paper dress if you'd like...
  • xX_Samantha_Xx
    xX_Samantha_Xx Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    First of all, you can't work out "together." You can be in the same gym, but to make it like a date is a little ridiculous. Second, if the woman is expecting a chat fest or conversations at the gym, then you won't even be working out, effectively, anyway. And lastly, it doesn't mean the same thing to her if she's getting mad at you for actually working out at the gym.

On another note, my guy has always been a gym guy. I've gone with him a few times. I give him his space. I don't expect to hang out. You're only there to work out. The fact that I get to see him in action is fun, too, though. :)

Also, I've started crossfit in the last 4 months, and love it. He is now joining with me next week and I can't wait. And again, I don't expect to be all lovey-dovey at the damn gym. At crossfit you worry about your own workout anyway. I am just excited for him to enjoy it like I do.

The end. :)
  • d2footballJRC
    Options

<-- You can borrow my toilet paper dress if you'd like...

Zumba in a toilet paper dress sounds like I might get a ticket for exposure.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I know this post is old as dirt but it totally made me giggle seeing it for the first time today....because I think I might be a dude after reading it, lol! My girlfriends like to go to zumba or prance around the gym doing the elliptical before lifting 10 pounds on one of the machines all while gossiping and I Just. Do. Not. I like to lift....and I have my mean mug on when doing so. My man is a body builder but I don't even like to work out with him. I mean, who can carry on a conversation when you are trying to get a PR????? It is just me and my power rack....the way it should be!
  • Cylinda30
    Cylinda30 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH :bigsmile: :laugh:

This story is cute and funny.
  • d2footballJRC
    Options
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH :bigsmile: :laugh:

This story is cute and funny.

Thanks, it's a lot cuter now then at the time. Helps in the end, I got my way :-)
  • d2footballJRC
    Options
    I know this post is old as dirt but it totally made me giggle seeing it for the first time today....because I think I might be a dude after reading it, lol! My girlfriends like to go to zumba or prance around the gym doing the elliptical before lifting 10 pounds on one of the machines all while gossiping and I Just. Do. Not. I like to lift....and I have my mean mug on when doing so. My man is a body builder but I don't even like to work out with him. I mean, who can carry on a conversation when you are trying to get a PR????? It is just me and my power rack....the way it should be!

As long as you don't do Curls in the power rack!
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    You could tell her doing gym is your cave thing, and suggest she does zumba with a girl friend. Explain it's more fun checking out each others muscles when you don't grow them when you're together.
  • sjcook23
    sjcook23 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    She'll eventually catch on. Keep speaking truth at her in a calm voice and smile and hug. Why don't you set up a coffee date or slurpees or frozen yogurt or something for after the workout that you can do together. Or walk with her on the treadmill for 10-15 minutes to warm up your muscles before the lift. You won't want to point this out, but she is not listening to you. Obviously, you are listening to her, because you feel badly that this is causing stress in the relationship. Just keep speaking truth in a calm voice. I like lifting, but it is not something we can do together. We'll do something on the way home together :)

My husband recently started joining me on my walks. I'm a quiet person, very introspective. He talks the whole time. I love listening to my music. So now I just play the music out loud as we walk. Even though I don't have a quiet mental time to myself anymore. I am finding that I'm enjoying that we have time to connect in this busy world we live in. Good luck :)
  • d2footballJRC
    Options
    Part of the equation I didn't express in the first post. I work a very high stress IT job in the corporate world. I use my gym time as a time to get away and relax, it's my time to not be bombarded by life and people.
  • d2footballJRC
    Options
    She'll eventually catch on. Keep speaking truth at her in a calm voice and smile and hug.

You've never met the lady ;-) She's Italian and German. She's a firecracker that doesn't like to not get her way. Granted I'm the stubborn one.