Peanut Butter is a Good Source of....Protein??

Options

Replies

• capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    PB > OP. I'll eat it til I die. Protein or not. It's better than eating crap.

he never said not to eat it

people, come on, you're better than this

I know but he's still re-posting the same dumb *kitten* topic that has been on here OVER and OVER again.

and you're somehow still missing the point

lol-didn-t-read-o.gif

b/c
    pbproblem-1.jpg

therefore..
    tumblr_lv721zObOO1qfd3x7.jpg

and you should..
    1253885876_suicide.gif
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    PB > OP. I'll eat it til I die. Protein or not. It's better than eating crap.

he never said not to eat it

people, come on, you're better than this

I know but he's still re-posting the same dumb *kitten* topic that has been on here OVER and OVER again.

and you're somehow still missing the point

lol-didn-t-read-o.gif

b/c
    pbproblem-1.jpg

therefore..
    tumblr_lv721zObOO1qfd3x7.jpg

and you should..
    1253885876_suicide.gif
    Oh my, look at that. You've strung together a series of images to create a message. How clever of you. Bravo!
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I don't consider PB a good source of protein either. I consider the ratio "10 calories per 1g protein" as a good source.
  • EbonySD
    EbonySD Posts: 142
    Options
    What if I cover myself with the peanutbutter?

Seriously, I figured out a while ago that peanutbutter kind of sucks as a source of protein. Along with the calories and veritable lack of protein, it is extremely high in fat. I love the stuff though... :cry:

If you cover yourself with peanut butter - I will hunt you down and eat you! lol

I love peanut butter - it doesn't love me back though :(
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    You know... the OP has posted valuable information. Is there a reason why you have a problem with that? Yeah, the topic has been posted over and over. Obviously, people still need to know. Who are you to tell him what he can and can't post?!?!?!

I think it was his holier-than-thou attitude about vegans that got under people's skin. You can be be an *kitten* and make a valid point but that still means you're an *kitten*.

P.S. - I saw noticed some people were talking about vegan bodybuilders and it reminded me of an article I read recently. Sorry if this has already been posted:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/05/sports/vegans-muscle-their-way-into-bodybuilding.html?pagewanted=all
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    i hear vegans are tasty
  • iHEARTcardiacnurses
    iHEARTcardiacnurses Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Now, if they say, "but I'm vegan, how do I get protein with no animal products?" The proper answer to that would be, "I don't know, the same way you ice skate uphill, I suppose."

Soy and TVP :flowerforyou:

Not a vegan or vegetarian (I like meat just as much as the next girl) but sometimes it's nice to switch it up!
  • iHEARTcardiacnurses
    iHEARTcardiacnurses Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Since we are talking about nuts, (and because I have such a low post count and want to raise it :wink: ), have you all tried unsweetened Almond Milk? I mix it with my protein powder and it is awesome. Tastes like a real milkshake. Only 35 calories per 8 ounces. Not a great source of protein though......but mixed with protein powder, who cares.

Also, no cholesterol and lactose free. I have become a big fan of Almond Milk.

....and peanut butter.

I love this stuff :)
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I can't believe this topic has any controversy.

All he said is that peanut butter is not a good source of protein for an average dieter for the calories.

The calorie/satiating/protein factor is low and I agree 100%. Who can get full off of 200 cals of PB?

With that being said, it tastes really good, and can be used to increase fats in your diet, but if you're using them as a good protein source, there are so many other things better to use.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    You can be be an *kitten* and make a valid point but that still means you're an *kitten*.

I do my level best to accomplish both goals.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    and you are great in both :flowerforyou:
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    It's simply not a good source of protein. It is a yummy and easy addition to your diet though, should most of your protein already be covered! :b
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    My husband had a peanut butter granola bar for a midnight snack and then got back in bed and breathed right in my face. I usually like the smell of peanut butter but that was a gross smell to wake up to.
    Boyfriend gets mad that I ask him to brush his teeth before bed, but he always eats a bed time snack and frequently has peanut butter and it smells so delicious that I need him to brush his teeth lol
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Good post and I agree, and additionally I don't understand how people continually list foods as being "good sources of protein" when they really aren't protein dense.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    i hear vegans are tasty

only with a side of peanut butter...
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Let's talk politics and religion! I think that might be a less divisive topic than peanut butter.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Just finished reading the entire thread and replies...

That was painful.
  • erin1276
    erin1276 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Or you can use PB2:

PB2: Powdered Peanut Butter
    Ingredients: Roasted peanuts, sugar and salt.
    Serving size: 2 Tablespoons (12 grams)
    Servings per container: 15
    Calories: 45
    Calories from fat: 13

Value and % Daily Value*

Total fat 1.5 g 3%
    Saturated fat 0 g 0%
    Trans fat < 0.01 g
    Cholesterol < 0.01 mg 0%
    Sodium 94 mg 4%
    Total carbohydrate 5 g 2%
    Dietary fiber 2 g 8%
    Sugars 1 g
    Protein 5 g
    Vitamin A < 1%
    Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium <1%
    Iron 0%

My mom bought this stuff and I finally relented and tried it. It was great! It makes working peanut butter into your normal diet workable.
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    My older brother used to eat spoonfuls of it, and then scream at me. His breath was awful. I love peanut butter, but still shudder a bit when I get the first whiff out of the jar.

LOL!!!! No, really... sitting at my desk, supposed to be working and I burst out laughing. Thanks for this, I needed it!!!
  • tinkermommc
    tinkermommc Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I'm going to keep eating peanut butter :tongue: I eat it and say within my calories and I'm not hungry therefore it stays!