Peanut Butter is a Good Source of....Protein??

Options

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Reading comprehension is excellent here xD
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    PB > OP. I'll eat it til I die. Protein or not. It's better than eating crap.

he never said not to eat it

people, come on, you're better than this

I know but he's still re-posting the same dumb *kitten* topic that has been on here OVER and OVER again.
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Harvard says nuts are an EXCELLENT source of protein. :-D I feel vindicated for probably belonging in the aforementioned 6 TBSP of peanut butter group. :laugh:

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/nuts-for-the-heart/index.html
  • capnwo85
    Options
    Just ate two heaping spoonfuls of peanut butter... yummmm

Congrats! you fall under the "Who in the hell would eat 6tbsp of peanut butter" group another poster talked about. Right there with ya! :-)

I totally ate 6 Tbsp of PB daily for about 3 months. Never looked better. :)
  • getfitsuccess
    Options
    This is a very good point....based on calories/ grams of protein, and an important one if that is your method to losing weight, in calorie restriction alone. However there must also be a consideration of healthy fats. The reason more than a few nutritionists recommend, nuts(whole) and nut butters(less so because of processing) is because it is a good source of natural and healthy fats essential for cell function. It also provides for a feeling of saeity without consuming large amounts of the food.

It is a catch. Bottom line is everyone needs to know what they are trying to achieve with diet modifications. Those with heart issues would have a very different requirement that someone who does not. Also food allergies play a significant role in determining what to eat.

Again a very valid point to consider but certainly not the only one. :)
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I totally ate 6 Tbsp of PB daily for about 3 months. Never looked better. :)
    Yes, best to eat them totally rather than partially.

Leaving a spoon still laden with peanut butter on the counter or in the sink can produce a foul order.
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options

I know but he's still re-posting the same dumb *kitten* topic that has been on here OVER and OVER again.

sadly, new people read topics for the first time on here

many people in here apparently hadn't seen this

at least it's not about women getting 'bulky' from lifting a weight or a "TOM" post
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Harvard says nuts are an EXCELLENT source of protein. :-D I feel vindicated for probably belonging in the aforementioned 6 TBSP of peanut butter group. :laugh:

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/nuts-for-the-heart/index.html

nuts =/= nut butters
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options

nuts =/= nut butters

I don't know what kind of peanut butter you eat, but mine has peanuts and salt. Nuts are definitely a main component. :)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

You know... the OP has posted valuable information. Is there a reason why you have a problem with that? Yeah, the topic has been posted over and over. Obviously, people still need to know. Who are you to tell him what he can and can't post?!?!?!
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

sadly, new people read topics for the first time on here

many people in here apparently hadn't seen this

at least it's not about women getting 'bulky' from lifting a weight or a "TOM" post

Wow! I totally crave PB during TOM!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I realize that you can be a vegetarian or vegan bodybuilder. Vegetarian can be done pretty easily. Vegan = uphill ice skating, but it can be done.

Not as hard as you might think.

Seitain has about 20g protein/100 calories
    Lentils have about 10g protein/100 calories
    Tofu has about 11g protein/100 calories
    hell, even broccoli has 9g protein/100 calories

As I pointed out above, protein requirements for people gaining muscles mass are about 1.2-1.6g/kg. By centering a vegan diet around high protein foods like those above, add some grains, nut butters, protein shakes and it's not a difficult thing to do.

Even then the protein would be of low quality/bioavailability.

As for protein requirements, I don't have the time or energy to get into the research right now. If we want to send me an FR I'd be happy to discuss it some other time, probably tomorrow.
  • capnwo85
    Options

You know... the OP has posted valuable information. Is there a reason why you have a problem with that? Yeah, the topic has been posted over and over. Obviously, people still need to know. Who are you to tell him what he can and can't post?!?!?!

Someone who is tired of reading the same crap over and over. I think someone who is even thinking about eating nuts for protein is already heading in the right direction anyways, so let's not throw a bunch of scientific information to tell them otherwise and confuse them even more. Let them just eat better. That's all I'm trying to say.

EAT PB, LIVE.
  • UponThisRock
    Options

crap is surprisingly high in protein
  • UponThisRock
    Options

I don't take diet advice from hippies
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Someone who is tired of reading the same crap over and over. I think someone who is even thinking about eating nuts for protein is already heading in the right direction anyways, so let's not throw a bunch of scientific information to tell them otherwise and confuse them even more. Let them just eat better. That's all I'm trying to say.

EAT PB, LIVE.

If you are tired of reading the same crap over and over, then stay off the forums!! There will always be people asking the same questions over and over and thankfully there are people like the OP on the threads who are happy to share their knowledge. Find something better to do than criticize someone who is telling the truth. Good grief! :grumble:
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I guess people think it because the calories come from "better for you" fats.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

crap is surprisingly high in protein

But does it have to come from a Holy Cow?
  • kimberly0416
    kimberly0416 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    peanut butter is for fattys

fatty mcfatty... Please get it correct.

But seriosuly I refuse to limit what I can eat. I eat healthy because I like healthy food, with peanut butter.
  • UponThisRock
    Options

and you're somehow still missing the point