Peanut Butter is a Good Source of....Protein??

Options

Replies

• OrganicPopcorn
    Options
    Its a plant based protein. 7 grams per serving. Who in the hell is going to sit and eat 3 servings of peanut butter in one sitting. that's 6 tablespoons. Of course the calorie content would be high.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    i personally think its the BOMB!! i am totally addicted to PB
    BUT! i also know that its fat content is ginormous compared to the protein content....and so i spread it thin.

And ..i hide the jar the rest of the time:sick:
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I adore the fact that my 6 year old son actually asks me questions about foods like, "is this heart healthy" or "is this protein?"

THAT IS SOOOOOO CUTE!!!!!

As a numbers gal, thanks for putting this down and bringing it all into perspective for me. :-)
  • colleenmette
    Options
    good question, I use the powdered peanut butter? PB2, love it! so would ove if soemone answere this, it does nto have nearly as many fat or fat calories, and still great in protein
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    I have been eating no meat at all recently, or animal products for the most part and have no trouble getting my 100g of protein everyday :huh:
  • DB_1106
    DB_1106 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Of course peanut butter has healthy fat as well as protein, so that's something to consider.

Likewise, egg whites, with their low calorie, high protein aren't all that effective, because you really need the yoke in order to properly absorb the white protein.

Eggs are the best protein you can possibly achieve from any type of food. Your body can use an amazing 94% of all the protein consumed from an egg.

Why people only eat egg whites and no yoke is beyond me. Cut something else out for the cholesterol, but not the best, most nutritious part of the egg.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Yes, I totally and throughly agree with your ramblings. I eat very little peanut butter, but I do often suggest it to people who are looking for healthy ways to get their calorie consumption up because while it is high in calories the protein in it and the fatty acids are a great addition to a diet without eating the dreaded ice cream, wine, and chocolate (which is my preferable way of getting my caloric intake up at the end of the day).

that being said, I've always interpreted it to mean that it is a great source of protein in a comparative way, I mean hell a granola bar with 210 calories is marked as a protein bar by companies these days if it has over what 5 grams of protein? With so much of our diet filled with refined and processed foods (to the point that people actually get excited over the fact that their white bread must be "enriched"), 8 grams of protein is still 8 grams of protein. I'd rather have 2 tablespoons of peanut butter slowly licked off a spoon than shove 2 pieces of my bread in my pie hole. Besides, my husband would rather watch me slowly lick 2 tablespoons of peanut butter off (a spoon) than shove 2 pieces of bread in my pie hole.

gigitty
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    It's helpful for vegetarians like me, though. I also eat Better 'n Peanut Butter brand, which is much lower in calories (but, then again, also a bit lower in protein).
  • UponThisRock
    Options
    All I'm saying is that if you try taking my peanut butter from me, I will use every single muscle I've spent time building for to kick your *kitten*. For reals. I eat my peanut butter every day--sticking to my 1800-2500 calorie days (depending on my exercise), and you can't take it. Period. Excellent source of protein or not, it has some, and I don't care about the fat.

Don't misunderstand what I'm saying, I love PB as well.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Psssssst.

Yoke is something you attach to your oxen to pull your cart.

Yolk is the gooey yellow-orange orb of deliciousness in your egg.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Its a plant based protein. 7 grams per serving. Who in the hell is going to sit and eat 3 servings of peanut butter in one sitting. that's 6 tablespoons. Of course the calorie content would be high.

I could easily do this. On a sandwich or 2, maybe a smoothie, Peanut butter "moo'd" like jamba juice

I think you completely missed the point :P
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I totally agree..as a vegetarian, I am constantly being told what a great source peanut butter is for protein and nuts, too..but on a calorie controlled diet is is pretty much suicide.

22g of protein is NOT a good trade off for 588 calories.

nasty whey protein ''shakes'' it is, then...approx 20 g protein for 110 calories.

TOFU -- eaaaaaaaaaats
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I am a second vote for PB2. It isn't fake, they just take peanuts and basically squeeze the oil out of them. You just reconstitute it with water and it tastes the same to me.

1/4 the calories, but with all the good stuff still there.

"squeezing the oil out" suggests to me that "all the good stuff" isn't there anymore

It's definitely a trade off to some extent, but I have never been able to stop at 2 tbs when I make a PB&J :smile:
  • UponThisRock
    Options
    I think peanut butter is one of the best ways to reach your calorie intake if you are way behind and need to hit your macros. 210 calories per 2 tbsp, healthier fats and some protein.

I am not saying it is the most healthy thing to eat, but you could do far worse. More people should eat natural peanut butter and peanuts instead of the processed lunch meats and fast food that is loaded with carcinogens, nitrates, and sodium.

I agree with all of that, I just don't think it's a good recommendation for those folks that need more protein.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    All I'm saying is that if you try taking my peanut butter from me, I will use every single muscle I've spent time building for to kick your *kitten*. For reals. I eat my peanut butter every day--sticking to my 1800-2500 calorie days (depending on my exercise), and you can't take it. Period. Excellent source of protein or not, it has some, and I don't care about the fat.

Don't misunderstand what I'm saying, I love PB as well.

Dude! Give him back the jar!!!!!!!!!
  • Abells
    Options
    Beans and Tofu for sure -- you have to eat more Tofu to up the protein compared to Tuna but Tuna also has a crap ton of sodium in it.

I'd be more concerned about the mercury

haha -- i eat everything they say is not good for you on the TV and every time they come out with a random study that you will get this or that from it

I'm still ticking :)
  • bigd65
    bigd65 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter but I go to it for the fat content, Protein is already taken care of. If I am low on fat for the day I will go to the peanut butter not for the protein
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Agreed. It might be better termed a "convenient" source of protein or a "quick" source of protein.

no, it wouldn't

Why not - it is convenient and is a source of protein.

I find it a good source of protein cause it tastes so good (not really becuase it has a lot of protein in it - which, bang for the buck, it does not).
  • Abells
    Options
    Beans and Tofu for sure -- you have to eat more Tofu to up the protein compared to Tuna but Tuna also has a crap ton of sodium in it.

I only need 3500 calories worth of black beans to get my proteins in!

Actually, I hear tempeh is not awful for getting protein in without eating meat. Shame it's soy protein.

it depends what you eat and how you eat honestly -- just eat what you want and if it's working for you then heck yes!
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Not everyone eats meat. For a vegetarian, peanut butter is a good source of protein.

And in my opinion (and that of every medical opinion I've ever read) people here think they need far more protein than they actually do.

unless they're vegan, whey and soy offer an ok dose of protein, and of course can be found in powdered varieties

and raw nuts are at least better (almonds, in particular) than peanut butter or nut butters in general