Peanut Butter is a Good Source of....Protein??

Options

Replies

• jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    First off you will never get the protein density from vegan means that you get from animal sources. Your best bets are beans, soy, and nuts...
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Not everyone eats meat. For a vegetarian, peanut butter is a good source of protein.

And in my opinion (and that of every medical opinion I've ever read) people here think they need far more protein than they actually do.

Most "mainstream" science says that people don't need any more than .8g/kg of body weight. Which is probably true for the average person, but they miss the boat when they claim that there's no benefit from more for any segments of the population. This simply isn't true For those interested in building and maintaining lean mass, the research is clear and definitive, higher protein diets are superior.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's really just when you don't have that many options. Peanut butter is quick unlike lentils and quinoa. And without meat, meat, meat, vegans and vegetarians don't really have the same calorie issues. Vegetables just aren't calorie dense. so there's lots of room for fatty fatty peanut butter if it means a little protein.
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I average about 130-140g of protien a day on a 1400 caloric intake. I eat Jif Natual peanut butter in the to go cup everyday.. Its 1.5 oz (+32g), 250 calories & 7g of protien. True, it is not as high as per say greek yogurt or cottage cheese, but I still stay within my caloric intake and never hungry. *Kanye shrug*
  • UponThisRock
    Options
    What if I cover myself with the peanutbutter?

pics or it didn't happen
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Beans and Tofu for sure -- you have to eat more Tofu to up the protein compared to Tuna but Tuna also has a crap ton of sodium in it.
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter. But I know it's packed with calories so I limit one tablespoon and only once or twice a week otherwise I use PB2.
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    i like peanut butter.. But I rarely eat it! No thanks!
  • UponThisRock
    Options
    Can I ask what brand of peanut butter this is based on? Is it a brand that adds sugar and oils? What about an organic peanut butter with nothing added but maybe some salt? Just curious.

They're all pretty much 190 cals and 8g of protein per serving
  • UponThisRock
    Options
    woah im never eating peanut butter again...

sucks to be you
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    My older brother used to eat spoonfuls of it, and then scream at me. His breath was awful. I love peanut butter, but still shudder a bit when I get the first whiff out of the jar.

HAHAHAHAHAH
  • Zumbagurl64
    Zumbagurl64 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    great post and thanks! i've just posted yesterday about needing more protein in my diet but agree peanut butter is so high in calories, and when I start, I wanna eat 1/2 the jar! lol Trying to find other choices..... the chobani greek yogurt was one of the suggestions, 14 g protein and about 140 calores.... I also drink protein shakes 2/day....for now...
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    And in my opinion (and that of every medical opinion I've ever read) people here think they need far more protein than they actually do.

I have to disagree and say the opposite - MFP sets protein waaaay too low. I personally try to get between 100g and 150g a day (the last number being 1g per body weight), I feel better for it, fuller, and have lost more weight. It's not that I "cut" carbs, I just make protein the focus and let everything else fall where it may.

Thanks for the post, Rock.
  • UponThisRock
    Options
    Or you can use PB2:

PB2: Powdered Peanut Butter
    Ingredients: Roasted peanuts, sugar and salt.
    Serving size: 2 Tablespoons (12 grams)
    Servings per container: 15
    Calories: 45
    Calories from fat: 13

Value and % Daily Value*

Total fat 1.5 g 3%
    Saturated fat 0 g 0%
    Trans fat < 0.01 g
    Cholesterol < 0.01 mg 0%
    Sodium 94 mg 4%
    Total carbohydrate 5 g 2%
    Dietary fiber 2 g 8%
    Sugars 1 g
    Protein 5 g
    Vitamin A < 1%
    Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium <1%
    Iron 0%

I'll stick to the real stuff
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I am a second vote for PB2. It isn't fake, they just take peanuts and basically squeeze the oil out of them. You just reconstitute it with water and it tastes the same to me.

1/4 the calories, but with all the good stuff still there.
  • MargotAllen
    Options
    We vegetarians have to get our protein wherever we can get it. I don't eat tuna or any other meat...
  • UponThisRock
    Options
    Agreed. It might be better termed a "convenient" source of protein or a "quick" source of protein.

no, it wouldn't
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Not everyone eats meat. For a vegetarian, peanut butter is a good source of protein.

Thank you! I'm not a vegetarian, but it drives me crazy when people criticize vegetarians and vegans for not consuming 1,000 grams of protein every day. Our bodies really don't need very much. Also, fat is not bad! Especially the fat that comes from nuts.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Yes, I totally and throughly agree with your ramblings. I eat very little peanut butter, but I do often suggest it to people who are looking for healthy ways to get their calorie consumption up because while it is high in calories the protein in it and the fatty acids are a great addition to a diet without eating the dreaded ice cream, wine, and chocolate (which is my preferable way of getting my caloric intake up at the end of the day).

that being said, I've always interpreted it to mean that it is a great source of protein in a comparative way, I mean hell a granola bar with 210 calories is marked as a protein bar by companies these days if it has over what 5 grams of protein? With so much of our diet filled with refined and processed foods (to the point that people actually get excited over the fact that their white bread must be "enriched"), 8 grams of protein is still 8 grams of protein. I'd rather have 2 tablespoons of peanut butter slowly licked off a spoon than shove 2 pieces of my bread in my pie hole. Besides, my husband would rather watch me slowly lick 2 tablespoons of peanut butter off (a spoon) than shove 2 pieces of bread in my pie hole.
  • UponThisRock
    Options
    Nope, but it's good.

no argument here