Peanut Butter is a Good Source of....Protein??

Options

Replies

• Testosterone
    Testosterone Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    it should be considered good fat not protein.
  • giselle9938
    giselle9938 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Holy Cow! Thanks for the info!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Germany’s 2011 strongest man Patrik Baboumian is vegetarian (he is working on being vegan and claims to be 90% vegan)..
    242-pound NFL Star Tony Fiammetta is a vegan...
    (many more, but I'm sure you have Google and can enlighten yourself)

so it is possible to be vegetarian/vegan and get protein (not to mention be a body builder) without meat/eggs/tuna/ice skating up hill!

Prince Fielder is a vegetarian, as well

doughnuts are vegetarian friendly
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    it should be considered good fat not protein.

You're finally seeing the light bro.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Holy Cow! Thanks for the info!

Yes, Holy Cow is a good source of protein, but they must be imported from India.
  • Surisaddai
    Surisaddai Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    All I'm saying is that if you try taking my peanut butter from me, I will use every single muscle I've spent time building for to kick your *kitten*. For reals. I eat my peanut butter every day--sticking to my 1800-2500 calorie days (depending on my exercise), and you can't take it. Period. Excellent source of protein or not, it has some, and I don't care about the fat.

Don't misunderstand what I'm saying, I love PB as well.

Dude! Give him back the jar!!!!!!!!!

I'm so not a him. :-p

I missed a lot while I was eating my 2 TBSP of natural, sugar free peanut butter on a tortilla with honey and banana... or I would have spoken up sooner. I suddenly had a craving for peanut butter...

190 delicious calories with 9 grams of protein. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    This is an excerpt from a blog post I just posted. Below is the relevant portion. If, for some odd reason, you want to read the my stupid ramblings along with the relevant portion, it's located here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/UponThisRock/view/peanut-butter-is-a-good-source-of-protein-245431

Ok, enough with the conspiracy theories. How do I define "good source of protein?" Most people on MFP practice calorie restriction. If someone is trying to add protein to their 1800 calorie diet, a "good" source of protein would be something that is "dense" in protein, that is, you get a lot of protein for the amount of calories you eat. Comparatively speaking, peanut butter simply doesn't fit that bill. The following shows calories and protein per 100g, the data was taken from nutritiondata.com:

Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast: 23g of protein/110 calories

Egg Whites: 11g/48 cals

Canned Chunk White Tuna: 26g/116 cals

Peanut Butter: 22g/ (brace yourself) 588 cals.

So, on a calorie restricted diet, how can you justify calling peanut butter a "good" source of protein? You can't. You have to eat 5 times as many calories to get the same amount of protein you would get in canned tuna.

Of course, the typical serving of peanut butter isn't 100g, it's 32g (2 tbsp). For 190 cals you get a not so whopping 8g of protein. If you insist on calling that a "good" source of protein, then in the interests of consistency, you also should call oatmeal a pretty good source of protein with 5g for 150 cals.

My point should be pretty clear by now. If someone asks how to add more protein to their diet, nuts or nut butter would be one of the last things I would recommend. There are so many more options that would add substantially more protein for a far less expensive calorie hit. Now, if they say, "but I'm vegan, how do I get protein with no animal products?" The proper answer to that would be, "I don't know, the same way you ice skate uphill, I suppose."

22g of peanut butter is not 588 unless it's the worst peanut butter in the world.

Read the sentence before the list. It's 22g of protein, 588 cals per 100g.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options

22g of peanut butter is not 588 unless it's the worst peanut butter in the world.

Yup, sorry to say, it is. Raw peanuts or peanut butter is the same. 22 g's of protein that is.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Prince Fielder is a vegetarian, as well
    doughnuts are vegetarian friendly
    Right on cue.

Prince-Fielder-R_jpg_630x1200_upscale_q85.jpg
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    PB > OP. I'll eat it til I die. Protein or not. It's better than eating crap.
  • Tigermad
    Tigermad Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    This is an excerpt from a blog post I just posted. Below is the relevant portion. If, for some odd reason, you want to read the my stupid ramblings along with the relevant portion, it's located here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/UponThisRock/view/peanut-butter-is-a-good-source-of-protein-245431

Ok, enough with the conspiracy theories. How do I define "good source of protein?" Most people on MFP practice calorie restriction. If someone is trying to add protein to their 1800 calorie diet, a "good" source of protein would be something that is "dense" in protein, that is, you get a lot of protein for the amount of calories you eat. Comparatively speaking, peanut butter simply doesn't fit that bill. The following shows calories and protein per 100g, the data was taken from nutritiondata.com:

Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast: 23g of protein/110 calories

Egg Whites: 11g/48 cals

Canned Chunk White Tuna: 26g/116 cals

Peanut Butter: 22g/ (brace yourself) 588 cals.

So, on a calorie restricted diet, how can you justify calling peanut butter a "good" source of protein? You can't. You have to eat 5 times as many calories to get the same amount of protein you would get in canned tuna.

Of course, the typical serving of peanut butter isn't 100g, it's 32g (2 tbsp). For 190 cals you get a not so whopping 8g of protein. If you insist on calling that a "good" source of protein, then in the interests of consistency, you also should call oatmeal a pretty good source of protein with 5g for 150 cals.

My point should be pretty clear by now. If someone asks how to add more protein to their diet, nuts or nut butter would be one of the last things I would recommend. There are so many more options that would add substantially more protein for a far less expensive calorie hit. Now, if they say, "but I'm vegan, how do I get protein with no animal products?" The proper answer to that would be, "I don't know, the same way you ice skate uphill, I suppose."

It's 100g's of PB which gives you 22g's of protein and 588 calories.

Oops silly me. Misread it. :-)
  • My1985Freckles
    Options
    All I'm saying is that if you try taking my peanut butter from me, I will use every single muscle I've spent time building for to kick your *kitten*. For reals. I eat my peanut butter every day--sticking to my 1800-2500 calorie days (depending on my exercise), and you can't take it. Period. Excellent source of protein or not, it has some, and I don't care about the fat.

I missed a lot while I was eating my 2 TBSP of natural, sugar free peanut butter on a tortilla with honey and banana... or I would have spoken up sooner. I suddenly had a craving for peanut butter...

My apologies, Miss. I did not see who the original poster was. Give HER back the jar. :-)
  • sweet_lotus
    sweet_lotus Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I realize that you can be a vegetarian or vegan bodybuilder. Vegetarian can be done pretty easily. Vegan = uphill ice skating, but it can be done.

Not as hard as you might think.

Seitain has about 20g protein/100 calories
    Lentils have about 10g protein/100 calories
    Tofu has about 11g protein/100 calories
    hell, even broccoli has 9g protein/100 calories

As I pointed out above, protein requirements for people gaining muscles mass are about 1.2-1.6g/kg. By centering a vegan diet around high protein foods like those above, add some grains, nut butters, protein shakes and it's not a difficult thing to do.
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    PB > OP. I'll eat it til I die. Protein or not. It's better than eating crap.

he never said not to eat it

people, come on, you're better than this
  • Knicole82486
    Options
    This is great... I wasn't aware of this and I really needed the help... Thanks!!!
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options

My apologies, Miss. I did not see who the original poster was. Give HER back the jar. :-)

And an extra large spoon, please. ;)
  • kimberly0416
    kimberly0416 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Just ate two heaping spoonfuls of peanut butter... yummmm
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options

such a good source of protein, careful though, you don't wanna get bulky
  • My1985Freckles
    Options

Congrats! you fall under the "Who in the hell would eat 6tbsp of peanut butter" group another poster talked about. Right there with ya! :-)