Peanut Butter is a Good Source of....Protein??

Options

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Of course peanut butter has healthy fat as well as protein, so that's something to consider.

Likewise, egg whites, with their low calorie, high protein aren't all that effective, because you really need the yoke in order to properly absorb the white protein.

I'm not bashing peanut butter, I think it's great stuff.

As far as your egg white comment, I've never heard that. Could you provide a source? Thanks.
    That's in reference to raw whites, not cooked, which is true.

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/128/10/1716.full
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Mr. Rock, does adding chocolate to peanut butter make it better for me?
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

I'll answer for him... Yes it does. Source... Me. End of story.
  • sweet_lotus
    sweet_lotus Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Most "mainstream" science says that people don't need any more than .8g/kg of body weight. Which is probably true for the average person, but they miss the boat when they claim that there's no benefit from more for any segments of the population. This simply isn't true For those interested in building and maintaining lean mass, the research is clear and definitive, higher protein diets are superior.

It's not a whole lot higher, not nearly as high as many people claim.

Here's a good, evidence based article (with peer reviewed citations) showing that athletes need only 1.2-1.6g/kg of protein. (http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/recommended-protein-intake-to-build-muscle-mass-40541)

It's pretty easy to measure - you pee the amino acids you don't use. Not sure why this is so controversial.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Germany’s 2011 strongest man Patrik Baboumian is vegetarian (he is working on being vegan and claims to be 90% vegan)..
    242-pound NFL Star Tony Fiammetta is a vegan...
    (many more, but I'm sure you have Google and can enlighten yourself)

so it is possible to be vegetarian/vegan and get protein (not to mention be a body builder) without meat/eggs/tuna/ice skating up hill!

I realize that you can be a vegetarian or vegan bodybuilder. Vegetarian can be done pretty easily. Vegan = uphill ice skating, but it can be done.
  • coquette87
    coquette87 Posts: 114
    Options
    I love peanut butter but I go to it for the fat content, Protein is already taken care of. If I am low on fat for the day I will go to the peanut butter not for the protein

This. I'm really not a big fat eater. I get a little from low-fat dairy, but that's about it. So peanut butter is a good source of fat for me. My easy-fast-reasonably cheap go to lunch is a peanut butter sandwich with whole wheat bread. A jar of natural peanut butter lasts way longer than the same amount of meat (cost wise).

Not to mention, I love peanut butter. Mmm.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Agreed. It might be better termed a "convenient" source of protein or a "quick" source of protein.

no, it wouldn't

Why not - it is convenient and is a source of protein.

I find it a good source of protein cause it tastes so good (not really becuase it has a lot of protein in it - which, bang for the buck, it does not).

Again, I disagree with the notion that it's a good source of protein.

Obvoiusly you missed the context of my comment
  • UponThisRock
    Options

yes
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Germany’s 2011 strongest man Patrik Baboumian is vegetarian (he is working on being vegan and claims to be 90% vegan)..
    242-pound NFL Star Tony Fiammetta is a vegan...
    (many more, but I'm sure you have Google and can enlighten yourself)

so it is possible to be vegetarian/vegan and get protein (not to mention be a body builder) without meat/eggs/tuna/ice skating up hill!

Prince Fielder is a vegetarian, as well
  • kimberly0416
    kimberly0416 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'll eat peanut butter for protein and to get to my calories up, it's also something sweet to eat. :smile:
  • kealambert
    Options
    UponThisRock, I think you pissed off the Peter Pan fanclub.

they are a touchy bunch

don't F**K with the peanut butter
  • Eleisabelle
    Eleisabelle Posts: 365
    Options
    Peanut butter is a moderate source of protein /in combination with/ a good source of monounsaturated fatty acids, which are necessary for joint, skin, and cardiovascular health. It's good for all around athletic development, if not as much for just muscle building.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/other31.htm
  • eig6
    eig6 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Now, if they say, "but I'm vegan, how do I get protein with no animal products?" The proper answer to that would be, "I don't know, the same way you ice skate uphill, I suppose."

lol
  • Tigermad
    Tigermad Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    This is an excerpt from a blog post I just posted. Below is the relevant portion. If, for some odd reason, you want to read the my stupid ramblings along with the relevant portion, it's located here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/UponThisRock/view/peanut-butter-is-a-good-source-of-protein-245431

Ok, enough with the conspiracy theories. How do I define "good source of protein?" Most people on MFP practice calorie restriction. If someone is trying to add protein to their 1800 calorie diet, a "good" source of protein would be something that is "dense" in protein, that is, you get a lot of protein for the amount of calories you eat. Comparatively speaking, peanut butter simply doesn't fit that bill. The following shows calories and protein per 100g, the data was taken from nutritiondata.com:

Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast: 23g of protein/110 calories

Egg Whites: 11g/48 cals

Canned Chunk White Tuna: 26g/116 cals

Peanut Butter: 22g/ (brace yourself) 588 cals.

So, on a calorie restricted diet, how can you justify calling peanut butter a "good" source of protein? You can't. You have to eat 5 times as many calories to get the same amount of protein you would get in canned tuna.

Of course, the typical serving of peanut butter isn't 100g, it's 32g (2 tbsp). For 190 cals you get a not so whopping 8g of protein. If you insist on calling that a "good" source of protein, then in the interests of consistency, you also should call oatmeal a pretty good source of protein with 5g for 150 cals.

My point should be pretty clear by now. If someone asks how to add more protein to their diet, nuts or nut butter would be one of the last things I would recommend. There are so many more options that would add substantially more protein for a far less expensive calorie hit. Now, if they say, "but I'm vegan, how do I get protein with no animal products?" The proper answer to that would be, "I don't know, the same way you ice skate uphill, I suppose."

22g of peanut butter is not 588 unless it's the worst peanut butter in the world.
  • kealambert
    Options
    This is an excerpt from a blog post I just posted. Below is the relevant portion. If, for some odd reason, you want to read the my stupid ramblings along with the relevant portion, it's located here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/UponThisRock/view/peanut-butter-is-a-good-source-of-protein-245431

Ok, enough with the conspiracy theories. How do I define "good source of protein?" Most people on MFP practice calorie restriction. If someone is trying to add protein to their 1800 calorie diet, a "good" source of protein would be something that is "dense" in protein, that is, you get a lot of protein for the amount of calories you eat. Comparatively speaking, peanut butter simply doesn't fit that bill. The following shows calories and protein per 100g, the data was taken from nutritiondata.com:

So, on a calorie restricted diet, how can you justify calling peanut butter a "good" source of protein? You can't. You have to eat 5 times as many calories to get the same amount of protein you would get in canned tuna.

Of course, the typical serving of peanut butter isn't 100g, it's 32g (2 tbsp). For 190 cals you get a not so whopping 8g of protein. If you insist on calling that a "good" source of protein, then in the interests of consistency, you also should call oatmeal a pretty good source of protein with 5g for 150 cals.

My point should be pretty clear by now. If someone asks how to add more protein to their diet, nuts or nut butter would be one of the last things I would recommend. There are so many more options that would add substantially more protein for a far less expensive calorie hit. Now, if they say, "but I'm vegan, how do I get protein with no animal products?" The proper answer to that would be, "I don't know, the same way you ice skate uphill, I suppose."

22g of peanut butter is not 588 unless it's the worst peanut butter in the world.

*facepalm*
  • UponThisRock
    Options
    Most "mainstream" science says that people don't need any more than .8g/kg of body weight. Which is probably true for the average person, but they miss the boat when they claim that there's no benefit from more for any segments of the population. This simply isn't true For those interested in building and maintaining lean mass, the research is clear and definitive, higher protein diets are superior.

It's not a whole lot higher, not nearly as high as many people claim.

Here's a good, evidence based article (with peer reviewed citations) showing that athletes need only 1.2-1.6g/kg of protein. (http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/recommended-protein-intake-to-build-muscle-mass-40541)

It's pretty easy to measure - you pee the amino acids you don't use. Not sure why this is so controversial.

"Athletes" is a pretty general term. People trying to maintain high levels of muscle mass for long periods of time in a caloric deficit would need even more, due to an increased risk of gluconeogenesis, as well as satiety issues.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    From his introductory press conference this year:
    Fielder did want to debunk one thing: Back in 2008, he talked about becoming a vegetarian, but that apparently didn't last long after all the commotion.

"I'm not a vegetarian,'' he said. "I was, for like three months.''

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/baseball/mlb/wires/01/26/2010.ap.bba.tigers.fielder.7th.ld.writethru.1210/index.html#ixzz1sWH38Z50
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

It's 100g's of PB which gives you 22g's of protein and 588 calories.
  • UponThisRock
    Options
    Of course peanut butter has healthy fat as well as protein, so that's something to consider.

Likewise, egg whites, with their low calorie, high protein aren't all that effective, because you really need the yoke in order to properly absorb the white protein.

I'm not bashing peanut butter, I think it's great stuff.

As far as your egg white comment, I've never heard that. Could you provide a source? Thanks.
    That's in reference to raw whites, not cooked, which is true.

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/128/10/1716.full

Ok, I was aware of the bioavailability issues with raw eggs, thanks.
  • kealambert
    Options
    From his introductory press conference this year:
    Fielder did want to debunk one thing: Back in 2008, he talked about becoming a vegetarian, but that apparently didn't last long after all the commotion.

"I'm not a vegetarian,'' he said. "I was, for like three months.''

Source: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/baseball/mlb/wires/01/26/2010.ap.bba.tigers.fielder.7th.ld.writethru.1210/index.html#ixzz1sWH38Z50
    son of a B