Peanut Butter is a Good Source of....Protein??

Options

Replies

• Gosser
    Gosser Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Peanuts aren't nuts, they are legumes (beans)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is a good source of "Oh crap I only ate 1100 calories today but im not hungry and cant eat another bite"
    and its also a good source of "How can I get my dog to make hilarious faces"
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    ...i agree with you regarding the protein...
    the thing is i just love pbutter for being pbutter!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    peanut butter is for fattys

fatty mcfatty... Please get it correct.

But seriosuly I refuse to limit what I can eat. I eat healthy because I like healthy food, with peanut butter.

The OP did not say that anyone should avoid peanut butter. He simply said that it is not right to call it a good source of protein.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Or you can use PB2:

PB2: Powdered Peanut Butter
    Ingredients: Roasted peanuts, sugar and salt.
    Serving size: 2 Tablespoons (12 grams)
    Servings per container: 15
    Calories: 45
    Calories from fat: 13

Value and % Daily Value*

Total fat 1.5 g 3%
    Saturated fat 0 g 0%
    Trans fat < 0.01 g
    Cholesterol < 0.01 mg 0%
    Sodium 94 mg 4%
    Total carbohydrate 5 g 2%
    Dietary fiber 2 g 8%
    Sugars 1 g
    Protein 5 g
    Vitamin A < 1%
    Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium <1%
    Iron 0%

This! 10g of protein for 90 cals is pretty decent! X
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is a good source of "Oh crap I only ate 1100 calories today but im not hungry and cant eat another bite"

Not hungry and can't eat? I've never experienced such a thing
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options

But seriosuly I refuse to limit what I can eat. I eat healthy because I like healthy food, with peanut butter.

The OP did not say that anyone should avoid peanut butter. He simply said that it is not right to call it a good source of protein.

im saying i avoid it cause its full of fat and calories
  • NaturalinCO
    NaturalinCO Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's really just when you don't have that many options. Peanut butter is quick unlike lentils and quinoa. And without meat, meat, meat, vegans and vegetarians don't really have the same calorie issues. Vegetables just aren't calorie dense. so there's lots of room for fatty fatty peanut butter if it means a little protein.

Agreed. Meat is SO calorie dense (among other things) that peanut butter for a vegetarian, or, like me, "pescatarian" even, is no big deal. No, it's not my - "Im'a eat PB allll day so I can get my protein on" - but it is a nice filler through the day. Plus, like others have said, it's so convenient. I can't drag my protein-rich grains with me on the go, but PB? That's a no-brainer for me.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

Not hungry and can't eat? I've never experienced such a thing

I eat a lot of calorie-spare foods, fill up on foods like broccoli and tuna and salmon and stuff. Eat lots of foods, that dont add up to a lot of calories. Sometimes I have to eat peanut butter to play catch up later.
  • peggyalex
    peggyalex Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    this is true but chicken or tuna wouldn't be near as good in my shakes as peanut butter! lol
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options

While an abundance of calories can make one fat, dietary fat doesn't.... Just sayin'. ;)
  • dwiebe85
    dwiebe85 Posts: 123
    Options
    bump
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options

See the PB2 post above...
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,023 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's really just when you don't have that many options. Peanut butter is quick unlike lentils and quinoa. And without meat, meat, meat, vegans and vegetarians don't really have the same calorie issues. Vegetables just aren't calorie dense. so there's lots of room for fatty fatty peanut butter if it means a little protein.

Agreed. Meat is SO calorie dense (among other things) that peanut butter for a vegetarian, or, like me, "pescatarian" even, is no big deal. No, it's not my - "Im'a eat PB allll day so I can get my protein on" - but it is a nice filler through the day. Plus, like others have said, it's so convenient. I can't drag my protein-rich grains with me on the go, but PB? That's a no-brainer for me.
    O'rly.
  • Musikelektronik
    Musikelektronik Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    My point should be pretty clear by now. If someone asks how to add more protein to their diet, nuts or nut butter would be one of the last things I would recommend. There are so many more options that would add substantially more protein for a far less expensive calorie hit.

Totally agree. I've never understood it when people say it's a "good source of protein." It is, I guess, but only if you can tolerate the gazillion-calorie hit. :glasses:
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Not a good source of protein, but a good food nonetheless.

The problem with going too lean is that we end up being too low on fats...fats not being the enemy and all. Peanut butter (and other nut & seed butters), while a merely adequate source of protein is a great source of healthy, unsaturated fats.

Problem is generally portion control. I eat my nut butters out of a half tablespoon measure. 4 of them (level) is a serving.

Besides. It tastes great. Tastes great and good for ya. What else can you ask for.

mmmmmmm....peanut butter
  • ScottJG82
    ScottJG82 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. I'm eat no meat or dairy, and I guess would be labeled as a vegan, but unfortunately labels divide people. Oh well.

For me personally, I can have peanut butter because my calorie diet is 2,400 for the day to maintain my weight and I've been eating a lot of peanut butter and have been losing weight. I stay under my fat goal. I rarely go over my calorie goal and if I do it's for 100 or 200 calories over.

A good source I enjoy is Clif Builder's Bars - 20 grams of protein, I can have 2 or 3 throughout the day and I have 60 out of the 90 protein that I need in my diet and the fat is only 24 out of 90 (90 being what I need to reach) so I have room for my vegan ice cream if I'd like, candy, and fattening foods like avocado rolls, etc.

That's my personal journey. But nothing beats fruits and veggies.

A nice big salad with a lot of hummus on it is GREAT and tastes so good. If anyone is doing a vegan lifestyle I suggest that as a nice snack or meal. I like to use Dole Very Veggie salad (the whole bag) with it.
  • UponThisRock
    Options

Lean meat is not calorie dense.

Even something fatty like a NY strip is only ~750 cals for 12oz
  • UponThisRock
    Options
    this is true but chicken or tuna wouldn't be near as good in my shakes as peanut butter! lol

mmmm, tuna in the blender
  • DB_1106
    DB_1106 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Since we are talking about nuts, (and because I have such a low post count and want to raise it :wink: ), have you all tried unsweetened Almond Milk? I mix it with my protein powder and it is awesome. Tastes like a real milkshake. Only 35 calories per 8 ounces. Not a great source of protein though......but mixed with protein powder, who cares.

Also, no cholesterol and lactose free. I have become a big fan of Almond Milk.

....and peanut butter.