Why do you "unfriend" people

Options
that have been part of your friends list? I mean, if they are posting stuff that is offensive, or never logging on and giving things a try, I can understand, but if you have had someone on your list, and have conversed with them practically every day for the last 4 months, and then just boom, they are gone? Just dont get it....kinda hurts ya know?

oh well, life goes on.

Replies

• strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I unfriend people who are pro-ana or unsupportive. It irritates me when people send me a friend request and then don't even make the effort to talk to me.
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I don't delete anyone. I know that a lot of people will delete friends that have been inactive for awhile. I figure everyone has issues and they will need a friend if they get back on track. Obviously if someone were offensive or if I found we were completely wrong as friends, I would delete, but that hasn't happened as of yet. Don't sweat it, if you were being a good friend, it's their loss.
  • louisey112
    louisey112 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I would only unfriend them if I haven't conversed with them in some way or they haven't been logged on for a quite a while. I actually like most of my friends on here - most are very supportive. And I friend anyone who wants to be friends, just as long as they stay in touch in some way. It's fun getting to know people on here.
  • jilltaylor86
    jilltaylor86 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I deleted one guy because he posted status updates like every hour and they were always long and not helpful to me. It was annoying so I deleted him. This isn't twitter.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    People who think that 'Whats are you mind? is command.
  • boobee32
    boobee32 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I unfriend people who are pro-ana or unsupportive. It irritates me when people send me a friend request and then don't even make the effort to talk to me.

Yes, I can totally agree with this!
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I unfriend two types of people:

1) the ones that are never on. there's no point in me having you... i don't collect people for the sake of collecting them. If we don't converse somewhat then why bother

2) the ones that feel the need to post about their naughty time every five minutes. I really don't care what you are doing with that vegetable, inanimate object, or random stranger that thinks you are hot.
  • MrsRipdizzle
    MrsRipdizzle Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Because I wanna surround myself with BA people! They don't have to look BA yet but they need to have a good attitude! If people are whining about crap all the time (why didn't I lose a pound this week, wah wah wah) or just in general being buzzkills - they get the axe. Also, if they aren't interacting with me. I give out a lot of support and darn it, I expect some back! :D Show me your friends and I'll show you your future - that's my mantra baby!
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I take them off if they have been inactive for 7 days and/or don't comment. I like to keep my friends list manageable so I can comment and offer support daily.
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I delete someone if they havent logged in in over a month, if they say something to me that pisses me off, or if they refuse to eat at least 1200.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Many reasons:

1. You're not active
    2. You don't like my foul mouth
    3. We fundamentally disagree on something I value to the point it's a deal-breaker
    4. You're annoying
    5. You're too needy
    6. I got trigger happy...

It happens.
  • milf_n_cookies
    milf_n_cookies Posts: 2,244 Member
    Options
    I delete people I see making the same mistakes over and over again, and then whining about not seeing any progress. I have spent a good amount of time getting rid of the negative in my life, and I don't tolerate anyone who brings it back in.
  • ProjectTina
    Options
    I've only ever deleted one person, and that was because she was very negative and condescending in all of her updates. On MFP I want to surround myself with positive people who keeps me motivated, and those who really need my support as well.
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I only defriend people when I check on them in their profile and see they have deleted their account. Otherwise, people need to know their friends are there for them once they get back.
    I had one "friend" who posted things I found offensive to my wall. I deleted them and pmed her to stop. She later deleted her account.
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I unfriended people due to we are at different places.
    They are trying hard to loose and I'm trying to maintiane
    I've lost all I need to and it just did not feel right.
    I do support them in going for it, it very much worth the
    work.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I like to keep my friendslist semi low. This isn't a popularity contest for me. New friends get a week. If they don't participate in anything on my page, or with me, they get cut.
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I take them off if they have been inactive for 7 days and/or don't comment. I like to keep my friends list manageable so I can comment and offer support daily.

What if someone is on vacation for 7 days? Thats kinda $#!TT^
  • therealkittymao
    therealkittymao Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have never unfriended anyone, but I got unfriended recently and I was TOTALLY ok with it! She was a little egregious with the TMI. I have to admit, I am not that social on this thing. I try to offer support but I am not very consistent about it. So if someone wanted to un-friend me, I wouldn't blame them or be mad. You gotta create the community you want around yourself, in cyber-life and real life! :)
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I have only unfriended one person. She was pro-ana and would stress over every calorie even if she only ate 100 cals all day. It was beyond annoying.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I remove people who are inactive or supporting a exercise and dietary lifestyle that I'm strictly against. Not everyone on my list has the same exact goals as I do, but they're all struggling to get healthy in a relatively healthy way that I can support. I have a little over 150 mfp's, that's too many to keep up with on a daily (sometimes weekly basis). This means that sometimes I'll removed people who I've had no interaction with in a long time because I don't feel that I'm adding value to their experience.
    That being said, I always check the persons page before I click that "x" looking for why they're inactive, and their activity patterns. I don't like to make blind and uninformed decisions.