Counting coffee as water consumption?

Options

Replies

• Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    If I Prepare my tea or coffee with 8 oz's of water...better believe I am clicking the arrow up a notch!
  • footballmom12
    footballmom12 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day.....WATER is WATER. Coffee is NOT water. Tea is NOT water. Pop is NOT water. If you truley want to be healthier have your coffee BUT drink more water to compensate for potential losses.

Potential losses of what?

WATER....since coffee is a diuretic.

Have you read the rest of this thread? The diuretic effects of coffee are miniscule and are far outweighed by the fluid in the coffee.

My body would tend to disagree....and that's who I'm gonna listen to :-)
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    So...I worked out this morning and when I got home, I decided to test something. I have had nothing but coffee and I have been peeing like a race horse but I still feel dehydrated. So.....what does that mean?

It means that coffee isn't water (pure- untainted water)?????!!!!

Do you drink distilled water?
  • Mercenary1914
    Options
    Oh Lord, here we go again ...

tumblr_kz0zm13TVG1qzc8rmo1_250.gif

hahaha!
    :laugh:
  • footballmom12
    Options
    so let's say you take a caffeine pill with 8 oz's of water? do you not count the water....

I am mainly asking those who say coffee isn't considered water because it has caffeine in it....

I may count it but I would also replace it with 8 oz's more...because that caffeine pill is gonna have me peeing like a race horse ;-)
  • footballmom12
    Options
    So...I worked out this morning and when I got home, I decided to test something. I have had nothing but coffee and I have been peeing like a race horse but I still feel dehydrated. So.....what does that mean?

It means that coffee isn't water (pure- untainted water)?????!!!!

Do you drink distilled water?

No...as pure as the waters in Detroit ;-)
  • Mercenary1914
    Options
    so let's say you take a caffeine pill with 8 oz's of water? do you not count the water....

I am mainly asking those who say coffee isn't considered water because it has caffeine in it....

I may count it but I would also replace it with 8 oz's more...because that caffeine pill is gonna have me peeing like a race horse ;-)

I agree...which is why I drink more than the minimum 8 cups

If I make a Protein shake with 8 oz's of water, Tea, or even water with dextrose in it...I count it as water...but I also drink filtered water....I noticed at the end of my day I have had nearly 2 gallons of water....

If I prepare it...I count it...but if I go to dunkin donuts and get a coffee...I don't count it.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day.....WATER is WATER. Coffee is NOT water. Tea is NOT water. Pop is NOT water. If you truley want to be healthier have your coffee BUT drink more water to compensate for potential losses.

Potential losses of what?

WATER....since coffee is a diuretic.

Have you read the rest of this thread? The diuretic effects of coffee are miniscule and are far outweighed by the fluid in the coffee.

My body would tend to disagree....and that's who I'm gonna listen to :-)

That's fine - but you quoted 'since coffee is a diuretic' as if it was fact.....its not.

An the OP is not going to listen to your body, she's going to listen to hers
  • anaussie
    anaussie Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    If I was to swallow spoon or two of raw instant coffee..... wash it down with one glass of water.... is that water still counted a glass of water or is water no longer water in its true watery sense?
    Oh Lord, here we go again ...

tumblr_kz0zm13TVG1qzc8rmo1_250.gif

:laugh:
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Coffee and tea have diuretic properties. If you drink coffee or tea, you shouldn't count it as water and probably should drink even more water if you drink lots of coffee or tea.

And to to aussie above me. If that's the way you want to consume your coffee or tea, go ahead, just don't choke on it.
  • deejaycee114
    deejaycee114 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    i only count water as water consumption. coffee, teas, or other flavored water are scanned in my diary - but then again, i only drink water - occasionally i'll have some OJ or coffee - again, which gets scanned. ;)
  • RunningMama1276
    RunningMama1276 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hey, just a quick question.. How many of you count coffee as your water consumption on MFP? I have a Keurig and the first thing I do every morning is brew myself a 10 oz cup of coffee. I always wonder if I can count that towards my water consumption. I'd like to hear back if you do OR don't, and the reason for it. Thanks in advance!

Water is water. You should only be logging glasses of water ONLY as water.
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Counting the coffee as water consumption is like counting soda or juice or hot chocolate or popsicles, heck, even oatmeal as water consumption. You may use a lot of water to make a lot of things, it doesn't mean they should be counted as water. View it like this, if you go to the hospital and need an IV for fluids, they don't hook you up to a coffee drip, do they?

Water consumption should only be counted for the pure water that you drink because it's what your body needs, not the flavored stuff.
  • sissy112553
    Options
    i drink coffee all the time then at dinner i drink sparkling ice its water but i love the way it taste,i hate plane water it has zero calories
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Hey, just a quick question.. How many of you count coffee as your water consumption on MFP? I have a Keurig and the first thing I do every morning is brew myself a 10 oz cup of coffee. I always wonder if I can count that towards my water consumption. I'd like to hear back if you do OR don't, and the reason for it. Thanks in advance!

Water is water. You should only be logging glasses of water ONLY as water.

ok then, how bout you create a cup of coffee for me without using water? Would that be possible? NO.
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Please let this thread die.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Counting the coffee as water consumption is like counting soda or juice or hot chocolate or popsicles, heck, even oatmeal as water consumption. You may use a lot of water to make a lot of things, it doesn't mean they should be counted as water. View it like this, if you go to the hospital and need an IV for fluids, they don't hook you up to a coffee drip, do they?

Water consumption should only be counted for the pure water that you drink because it's what your body needs, not the flavored stuff.

They do not hook you up to a water drip either!
  • Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    The Mayo clinic counts any water-based beverage as water. That includes tea or coffee.

There are lots of people with opinions on the subject. I would tend to go with the one offered by a world-renowned authority on diet, fitness, and body repair.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Well, I just read that anything you drink can go towards your water consumption for the day, it also said drinking straight 64 oz of water a day is unnecessary, any liquid I drink I count that towards water consumption. People have varied opinions on this and that's fine, do what works for you. I just looked up this question and it also said anything that is more than 50% water is counted towards your water intake.