Counting coffee as water consumption?

Options
1234568»

Replies

• MrsHutcho9988
    Options
    If it was instant coffee like you heat up a mug full of water and stir the coffee in then I would because its roughly 8 oz of water. I count the water I put in my recovery shake (2 cups) and I also use 2 cups for my nightly tea. :)
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback so far. I read through the Mayo Clinic article that was posted and it said that caffeine has a diuretic effect only if you drink 5-7 cups of coffee a DAY, which I don't do. I have one, MAYBE two cups in the morning and none after that. I stick with water and milk after that. So, I'm inclined to believe that my morning coffee is not going to dehydrate me, therefore I will probably count it towards my water consumption. Some days I don't drink enough water, especially on days when I work, because Target won't let you have water with you at your lane (boo) and so I'd like to think my morning coffee is part of my daily water consumption!

Congratulations on making the informed decision. I wish that were a requirement on this site instead of following blindly. Amazing how fast people on this site throw out logic and science and are willing to swear to some mumbo jumbo as being right.

No matter what you put it in water is still water and should be considered such.
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    This is one of those topics that we as a whole are NEVER going to agree on....it is just not possible. You will read articles saying "any liquid" counts as water, then you will read articles saying that anything except for water should not be counted as many other drinks are dehydrating.

Drinking plain, good old fashioned water has many benefits...you really should drink it. It is helpful to keep you full, keeps your skin hydrated, helps flush out the sodium, etc....(I could go on, but you know the list)

So, you know why they recommend drinking water...if you choose too, GREAT, if you choose not to, that is fine too....

HOWEVER, this is a fitness site....it would be extremely difficult for you to sell me on the fact that coffee, soda, fruit juices are as healthy and as beneficial as water.....but that is me! (please don't try...it won't work. LOL)

Off to finish my gallon......hugs.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    This is one of those topics that we as a whole are NEVER going to agree on....it is just not possible. You will read articles saying "any liquid" counts as water, then you will read articles saying that anything except for water should not be counted as many other drinks are dehydrating.

Drinking plain, good old fashioned water has many benefits...you really should drink it. It is helpful to keep you full, keeps your skin hydrated, helps flush out the sodium, etc....(I could go on, but you know the list)

So, you know why they recommend drinking water...if you choose too, GREAT, if you choose not to, that is fine too....

HOWEVER, this is a fitness site....it would be extremely difficult for you to sell me on the fact that coffee, soda, fruit juices are as healthy and as beneficial as water.....but that is me! (please don't try...it won't work. LOL)

Off to finish my gallon......hugs.

How much calcium does water have? How much Vitamin C? Yes, water is benefical and no-one is denying that but with regard to hydration, it is not the only thing that does - and is not necessarily more healthy.
  • bexblonde
    bexblonde Posts: 80
    Options
    The UK Department of Health recommends 6-8 glasses of water a day. The info is here: http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/water-drinks.aspx

For those who can't be bothered to click the link, it says "The Department of Health recommends that we should drink about 1.2 litres of fluid every day to stop us getting dehydrated. This works out to be about six 200ml or eight 150ml glasses, cups or mugs. In hotter climates, the body needs more water than this.

The total amount of water we lose each day and need to replace is in fact greater than this – about 2.5 litres – but we get 1 litre of the fluid we need from food and the body recovers 0.3 litres from chemical reactions in our cells. The rest needs to be taken from drinks.

All drinks count, but water, milk and fruit juices are the healthiest. It is best to avoid alcoholic drinks."

Therefore, our government is telling us to count ALL drinks except alcohol towards our fluid intake. I personally log my tea and coffee as part of my water intake, as they are around 90% water anyway.
  • siliisobel
    Options
    Here is a good link on drinking tea:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/5281046.stm

Im not sure about coffee but im sure its just the same.