I am annoyed with the anti-lady-muscle posts.

Options

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Muscles and strength are great, ya just don't wanna look like these ladies(?)... http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Photos-Women-bodybuilders-compete-at-Emerald-Cup-148395585.html?tab=gallery&c=y&img=17

I have to say that those spray tans are awful.

They are required to show the muscle definition in the lights of the stage. Without the spray everyone would be pale undefined ghosts.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    *sobbing* it's like I'm jello on skeleton! How do I even manage to walk??

must. go. exercise.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

This I can agree with honestly. Maybe it was the actual words used that triggered the 'overboard' response, rather than the message?

We will have to agree, to mostly agree!

lol- I can definitely work with that :drinker:
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    On the other hand, I got some good pickle jar opening tips I can use if I ever get stuck, so it's all good.

Win/win?

Honestly...I do know what you mean...and I don't disagree to that extent. What I disagree with is that asking 'why would someone want to ______?' isn't some kind of put down. No, they may not comprehend why someone would do that thing, but they aren't belittling them for it, and anyone that feels belittled by that kind of statement, needs to look inward, not outward.

There's other things in your post we're not in perfect alignment on, but not far enough off to mention. I think in general, if we had to choose sides, we'd find we were on the same one at the end of the picking lol.
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    On the other hand, I got some good pickle jar opening tips I can use if I ever get stuck, so it's all good.

Win/win?

Honestly...I do know what you mean...and I don't disagree to that extent. What I disagree with is that asking 'why would someone want to ______?' isn't some kind of put down. No, they may not comprehend why someone would do that thing, but they aren't belittling them for it, and anyone that feels belittled by that kind of statement, needs to look inward, not outward.

There's other things in your post we're not in perfect alignment on, but not far enough off to mention. I think in general, if we had to choose sides, we'd find we were on the same one at the end of the picking lol.

I should clarify, it's not usually the statement of "why wouldn't you want this?" that is the problem, it's the conversation that comes after, because the person who asks usually doesn't like the responses of the people who don't want whatever is in question. Those conversations typically become like this one, hyper critical of numerous subsets of people. Like I said in a previous post, I think it's up to each individual to define what their ideal body will be, but anyone that works for it is pretty cool in my eyes. :-)
  • jtabor31
    jtabor31 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's not really fair to hop on someone because she said someone was a bit more masculine, then post pictures of woman who is massively muscled and make fun of her. You now lose all credibility.

Man muscles on women are gross. Fat on fat people is gross. It happens.
  • budhandy
    budhandy Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    It's not really fair to hop on someone because she said someone was a bit more masculine, then post pictures of woman who is massively muscled and make fun of her. You now lose all credibility.

Man muscles on women are gross. Fat on fat people is gross. It happens.
    Yeah gotta love that word. Anyone who uses the word gross to describe people lose all crediblity
  • mrsnathanandrew
    mrsnathanandrew Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    main_allison.jpg

not going to lie, I have a girl crush on Allison Moyer! I've found that when I first started I wanted to just be thin, and now I find myself wanting muscles and a hard body!
  • mrsnathanandrew
    Options
    My boyfriend commented on my back muscles while we were busy in bed. While I'm proud in other situations, that one was a bit of a mood killer.

WHAT?!?! Are you nuts? My husband had me bent over the bed with the mirror in the opposite direction and was tracing my curves commenting on my erector muscles the other night....*giggle* (wow, it IS TMI Tuesday still yes?)...I freakin' LOVED every second of it!

Sounds like an awesome husband to me!!
  • mrsnathanandrew
    Options
    I deadlift twice my body weight and I definitely don't have "boy muscles."

Woman - picking up and putting down weights will not turn you into a SHE-MAN!

Your body is in no way masculine. You are seriously pure hottness!!
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Muscles and strength are great, ya just don't wanna look like these ladies(?)... http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Photos-Women-bodybuilders-compete-at-Emerald-Cup-148395585.html?tab=gallery&c=y&img=17
    Pointing to a bodybuilder competition as an example is ridiculous. Not only do those women pretty much dedicate their entire lives to looking like that, but they also go through very careful steps to specifically enhance those muscles for the competition, such as dehydration and strategic spray tans. They also do a couple exercises right before they go on stage to really make the muscles pop. But they only look like those pictures for a couple hours at a time.

I don't know about dedicating our entire lives to it ... but to clarify dehydration is simply not in vogue any longer. Spray tanning/ comp tanning is so the lights don't drown us out on stage.
    I don't know if it's worth offering clarifications, but my point was that no one is ever going to "accidentally" look like that. Those women (and you, I assume) must work very hard both in the gym and out to achieve that appearance and they don't look like those pictures 24/7. It's unfair to point to those as "examples" in this discussion, and frankly I think a little insulting to the women who do work very hard to achieve that look.
  • ST99000722
    ST99000722 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I :heart: this thread - yay for strong women x
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Clarification: I wasn't saying spray tans on those women are awful. Spray tans in general are awful. Orange skin is scary.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Every female has muscle. Some more to the extent of others. Personally I prefer an athletic looking female with some muscle on her, than a "toned" female.
    I find women can be very "opinionated" about other females bodies. Even if a female was "perfect", they would find a flaw.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    Clarification: I wasn't saying spray tans on those women are awful. Spray tans in general are awful. Orange skin is scary.

Apparently you have never seen a GOOD spray tan then. :) Or did not know you were anyway. :)

I am "spray tanned" almost year round, never orange, and most people ask me which tanning salon I UV tan at, or if I lay out - (NO to both) - I have been UV tan free for over 20 plus years. I have stood side by side with many UV tanners, and no one knew, or thought I looked any different then they did. I am naturally a pale skintype 2. Am barely able to get more then very light color UV tanning.

Even my Mom, was telling a friend how I am lucky to have such lovely dusky olive skin tone - I don't - she is so used to seeing me tan, she forgets my natural pale color. (she does not live near me, so does not see me daily)

Just for general clarity, for those that may not know: Bodybuilders in competition apply a very heavy, very dark tan, with a slightly opaque bronzing product for STAGE USE ONLY. Just like Broadway Actors apply very heavy, thick opaque and "overdone" makeup. This is made for stage use, where they are under very bright lighting, and need the overdone tan, to show up. As a lighter "natural" tan will look washed out.

They also use it to better define muscle tone.

This is not meant to look natural in real life.

In real life, I have seen many bad fake tans, just like I see many bad hair dye jobs, many bad makeup jobs etc. But you would shocked at how many good spray tans, good dyes jobs, and good makeup applications are around you everyday - that you never notice - because they are done right. :) Its an extremely booming business industry.

Every Victoria's Secret girl in the catalog is spray tanned. Pretty much all swimsuit models in Sports Illustrated are spray tanned. The majority of Actors and actresses you see are spray tanned for movies, videos, photo shots and red carpet events. Dancing with the Stars folks - all spray tanned.

I know this, because I talk to the techs daily who work with these people. Some of the people I work directly with day to day in product development, have been to the photo shots while these celebs are being sprayed.

I have worked in the Spray Tan industry for over 20 years in consultation, product development and customer service - so I have seen a whole lot of tans, good and bad. Celebrity and civilian. Worked in the UV industry also before that.
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options
    *sobbing* it's like I'm jello on skeleton! How do I even manage to walk??

must. go. exercise.

Best post in this thread, LOL. Well done.
  • Lifting_chick
    Lifting_chick Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    234786.jpg

I think I have my first girl crush - that *kitten* is effing amazing

I second that......dayuuummmmm This is what I want
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options

Apparently you have never seen a GOOD spray tan then. :) Or did not know you were anyway. :)

I am "spray tanned" almost year round, never orange, and most people ask me which tanning salon I UV tan at, or if I lay out - (NO to both) - I have been UV tan free for over 20 plus years. I have stood side by side with many UV tanners, and no one knew, or thought I looked any different then they did. I am naturally a pale skintype 2. Am barely able to get more then very light color UV tanning.

Even my Mom, was telling a friend how I am lucky to have such lovely dusky olive skin tone - I don't - she is so used to seeing me tan, she forgets my natural pale color. (she does not live near me, so does not see me daily)

Just for general clarity, for those that may not know: Bodybuilders in competition apply a very heavy, very dark tan, with a slightly opaque bronzing product for STAGE USE ONLY. Just like Broadway Actors apply very heavy, thick opaque and "overdone" makeup. This is made for stage use, where they are under very bright lighting, and need the overdone tan, to show up. As a lighter "natural" tan will look washed out.

They also use it to better define muscle tone.

This is not meant to look natural in real life.

In real life, I have seen many bad fake tans, just like I see many bad hair dye jobs, many bad makeup jobs etc. But you would shocked at how many good spray tans, good dyes jobs, and good makeup applications are around you everyday - that you never notice - because they are done right. :) Its an extremely booming business industry.

Every Victoria's Secret girl in the catalog is spray tanned. Pretty much all swimsuit models in Sports Illustrated are spray tanned. The majority of Actors and actresses you see are spray tanned for movies, videos, photo shots and red carpet events. Dancing with the Stars folks - all spray tanned.

I know this, because I talk to the techs daily who work with these people. Some of the people I work directly with day to day in product development, have been to the photo shots while these celebs are being sprayed.

I have worked in the Spray Tan industry for over 20 years in consultation, product development and customer service - so I have seen a whole lot of tans, good and bad. Celebrity and civilian. Worked in the UV industry also before that.

I hope you don't mind if I ask you a couple of questions! Do you have issues with the color transferring off (i.e. sheets, clothes, etc)? If not, what type are you using and if so, what do you do to prevent it? I love having tanned skin, but I don't love the possible cancer in my future and have had bad experiences with spray tan. I also tend to have very dry skin, so when I am not moisturized enough, I get flaky and so does my tan :( Thanks for your insight and your help!!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

I find women can be very "opinionated" about other females bodies.

Men, of course, never express opinions about women's bodies.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    234786.jpg
    I think I have my first girl crush - that *kitten* is effing amazing
    [/quote]
    I second that......dayuuummmmm This is what I want
    [/quote]

Hmmm... think my 60 year old body can get back to that? Not that I had it exactly but it was not the jello that it is now!