Smokers At the Gym

Options
Melanie_RS
Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
anyone else find this humorous?!! counterproductive as well.

Replies

• Melanie_RS
    Options
    Or when you're out running the trails and someone in workout clothes is puffing on one. hahahah I have to hold my breath as I go through the second-hand smoke cloud. so nasty!
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    here, in Switzerland, people are in general SO fit. They all work out like crazy and/or have intensely active hobbies. It's not uncommon to see someone smoking after hiking a 5 hour uphill hike, or biking up a massive hill while smoking a cigarette. It makes me laugh, I don't get it!
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Priincess_Natalie Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I say good for anyone exercising. EVEN smokers. I didn't start exercising until after I quit smoking but people like you are not helping by saying such things. Be supportive. Perhaps they are at the gym trying to get healthier to motivate themselves to quit smoking. Quitting is hard and not something I would expect a non-smoker to understand but I don't judge smokers, I try to understand and help if I can.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I'm SUPER lucky to live in a very non-smoking friendly city (I mean seriously, you can hardly smoke anywhere) so I don't deal with it much, but I have seen people leaving the gym, getting in the car, and lighting one up. I mean, talk about counterproductive!

Sorry smokers, but I'm glad you can't smoke in bars, restaurants, city parks, on UT campus, or within 10-15 feet of a building entrance anymore!

ETA, I DO understand that some people are prob trying to get healthy and quit, it's just kinda odd to see. Much like the guy I saw a couple weeks ago come into the gym, sit down in the cafe and eat the Chipotle burrito he brought with him, then go change for his workout. Boggled my mind.
  • dianerml
    dianerml Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    My Mom recently started going to the gym and she smokes. Granted she is trying to quit. I wouldn't begrudge anyone trying to get healthy in any way. Even if they have another unhealthy habit that might seem to hinder their efforts.
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    It's counterproductive. I smoked and ran when I was in the Military. But then again everybody had to run. Nicotine is an evil drug.:smile: Glad I read "The easy way to quit smoking" by Allan Carr. No looking back now.

Cheers
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    I love a cigarette after a good workout.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt judge them if theyre at the gym.

One thing that does irk me is seeing nurses outside a hospital smoking or nurses inside a hospital eating loads of unhealthy takeaway food (especially in the ward where all the people getting bypasses are).
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I love a cigarette after a good workout.

^ BUT ....I am trying to quit again soon as well. Managed to stop for several months, and it definitely helped me not lose my breath while working out. I have drastically cut down though :)
  • smilingchica
    smilingchica Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I saw two ladies walking our track in flip flops, drinking coke and sharing a cigg.... clas-syyy :huh:
  • Melanie_RS
    Options
    Oh, trust me, it's one habit I'm very thankful I've never had to quit --- I imagine it's one of the hardest. I guess I just don't understand the mentality of doing both.
  • MyTime1985
    MyTime1985 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I just quit smoking 3 days ago. Who are any of you to judge what other people are doing? Mind your own business. :indifferent:
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I always felt sort of guilty and shamed when I lit a cig on my way out of the gym, and some gym-folks can be a little high and mighty about their place to judge so I was always a little sensitive about it. I'm glad I don't have to worry about it now that I've quit. I do notice that I must've stank pretty bad because I smell it very strongly on others now.
  • mandie0378
    mandie0378 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    The only thing I've ever seen that cracks me up about fellow gym goers is how they fight for the closest parking spot near the door.

I park as far away as possible. Get a warm up and a cool down going just getting to and from my truck.
  • laurastrait21
    laurastrait21 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I will never understand, but then again, there is nothing better for me than a diet coke after a workout -- so who am I to judge??
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    When I'm out walking with the kids/pushing the stroller, I occasionally see this one dad walking his daughter (also in a stroller), and always in his hand is a cigarette. I find it gross and oddly humorous that he can't finish the walk, and THEN have his dang cigarette. WTF.
  • Melanie_RS
    Options
    I wouldnt judge them if theyre at the gym.

One thing that does irk me is seeing nurses outside a hospital smoking or nurses inside a hospital eating loads of unhealthy takeaway food (especially in the ward where all the people getting bypasses are).

The breathing respiratory therapist we see at DUKE children's hospital is a chain smoker! I'm like...dude, we were just in here b/c our son has chronic breathing problems...sure we'll wait while you take a smoke break....UM HELLO! LOL

do NOT get me started on doctors and nurses who have the WORST health practices. lord!
  • JMPerlin
    JMPerlin Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I don't like to judge people but I do find it annoying. At the dojo I work out in, is next to a bar. So there I am running multiple forms back to back working up a sweat on a hot day and all I can breathe in is cigarette smoke. Its their right and I cannot say anything but it does suck.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I think a smoker who exercises regularly is healthier than a non smoker who sits on a couch all day. Health is cumulative and comes from all aspects of your life. Also, smoking 1 cigarette a day is not the same as smoking 2 packs a day.

It's great that there are Perfect Ones to tell the rest of us lesser mortals the Right Way to live. How fortunate we are to be near such viceless pillars of virtue and moral living.
  • dianerml
    dianerml Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    The only thing I've ever seen that cracks me up about fellow gym goers is how they fight for the closest parking spot near the door.

I park as far away as possible. Get a warm up and a cool down going just getting to and from my truck.

I laugh about this all day because I work in the same parking lot as my gym and constantly see this. It makes no sense! In a storm it is okay but not on a normal day.