Smokers At the Gym

Options

Replies

• jl622
    jl622 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I smoke and exercise. not at the same time, but I do both. I also eat Chipolte. Nothing wrong with it...
  • honestlysweet
    honestlysweet Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I say good for anyone exercising. EVEN smokers. I didn't start exercising until after I quit smoking but people like you are not helping by saying such things. Be supportive. Perhaps they are at the gym trying to get healthier to motivate themselves to quit smoking. Quitting is hard and not something I would expect a non-smoker to understand but I don't judge smokers, I try to understand and help if I can.

This. I have no idea what it's like to have any sort of addiction, because I never smoked, drank (except at parties, but not addicted) did drugs, I don't even like shopping! But I see these behaviors in others and I can see how hard it is to quit. My husband has a lung disease that will eventually kill him, but he still smokes. My son does too. I don't really get it, but I haven't walked in their shoes so I never will get it.

I am proud of my husband and son though, because they do exercise. But they have to have that cig afterwards!
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    How is it different from an obese person at the gym, or a redhead at the gym, or someone with hair extensions at the gym, or someone wearing a color shirt you don't like at the gym? As long as they're not blowing smoke right at you, I don't see why it should bother you so much and why you think you have the right to judge someone else's habits or behaviors.

**Day 1 of not smoking, so a little crabby. But regardless, it shouldn't matter!**
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I've had a trainer in his fifties who smokes a pack a day and could run laps around me on the stairs. Everyone has their own vice and I don't need to judge.

The one thing I will say is that I do hate to smell it when I'm working my butt off.
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Oh, trust me, it's one habit I'm very thankful I've never had to quit --- I imagine it's one of the hardest. I guess I just don't understand the mentality of doing both.

I don't think you're trying very hard to understand the mentality of doing both. I'd rather gradually add good habits into a life filled with bad habits then have an all or nothing approach. Yes, smoking after/before/during workouts is counterproductive, but it's better to work out and smoke then just to smoke and say F**k it to the rest. Try to have a little compassion and not be so judgey. People with your mentality make those who are sensitive to criticism want to quit trying, and those little looks they get from folks like you to show them you disapprove aren't helping either.
  • elexichoccyeater
    elexichoccyeater Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I like a ciggy after zumba :)
  • Melanie_RS
    Melanie_RS Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I think a smoker who exercises regularly is healthier than a non smoker who sits on a couch all day. Health is cumulative and comes from all aspects of your life. Also, smoking 1 cigarette a day is not the same as smoking 2 packs a day.

It's great that there are Perfect Ones to tell the rest of us lesser mortals the Right Way to live. How fortunate we are to be near such viceless pillars of virtue and moral living.

you're welcome! :p

I guess we could start another conversation about religion? ;)

just kidding. on all accounts.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I just quit smoking 3 days ago. Who are any of you to judge what other people are doing? Mind your own business. :indifferent:

exactly, mind your own business, at least they're outside smoking, or in their own vehicle...jesus, you aren't perfect, i'm pretty sure you have a vice or something that's not healthy for you that you do...stop being such a snob
  • Alexis14351
    Options
    It's not like all benefits of exercise are wiped away with a cigarette.
  • elexichoccyeater
    Options
    I love a cigarette after a good workout.

so do I and after a healthy 'clean' meal!!!!! and posts like this make me want to have 2! I am 47 years old and if I chose to do something unhealthy it has nowt to do with anyone else!!! If they want to go to a pub after and have a pint I do not mock them or take caffine tablets... or cream cakes... or full fat fizzy drinks... or saccharine.... or catch the bus instead of walking.... la de da de da!!!!!!!!!!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Must be nice to have no bad habits.
  • InkedBeauty89
    InkedBeauty89 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking not too long ago. And although i didnt go to gyms i do workout at home, and yes i used to workout and then light up afterwards. I think people originally have a goal to lose weight, as this was my goal...but that quickly changed to a goal of getting healthy not just losing weight. But in all honesty, the fact that i wanted to run longer and i knew i could give more in my workouts, but physically couldnt make my lungs work harder pissed me off. ....So working out is partly the reason why i quit!
  • eleslie1989
    eleslie1989 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    stop judging other people and focus on yourself and what you want to achieve.

i quit 1 month ago and was actually advised not to start losing weight and quit at the same time because i would be more likely to fail. you are entitled to your opinion but DONT POST NEGATIVE TOPICS on a forum that is for helpful information and support.
  • mccollumse
    mccollumse Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    It is better to work out whether one is a smoker or a non-smoker. At least they are moving in the right direction and hopefully counteracting some of the damage. I have never been a smoker, but I am sure it is an extremely difficult habit to break. Probably most of the people you have seen have tried to quit and/or would like to.

I find your post very judgemental though. I think it is about the same as saying how humorous you find obese people at the gym.

The smokers are ironic, but they are probably doing the best they can.
  • Alacey88
    Alacey88 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Bon Jovi smokes 2 packs a day but he still can run across the stage without huffing and puffing... but yet again he works out and doesn't drink.
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I actually used to smoke half a pack a month ago, until I started woking out 6 days a week. Non smokers cannot judge or make fun, when you have a craving- you have to smoke !! It's a nasty habit, but I persoally think that it's better to be active and be a smoker then be a couch potato and smoke.
    Even now I smoke maybe 4 cigarettes a day, and yeah i know it's not healthy and all that, but i'm trying to quit. People have to be supportive, jeez!
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I think a smoker who exercises regularly is healthier than a non smoker who sits on a couch all day. Health is cumulative and comes from all aspects of your life. Also, smoking 1 cigarette a day is not the same as smoking 2 packs a day.

It's great that there are Perfect Ones to tell the rest of us lesser mortals the Right Way to live. How fortunate we are to be near such viceless pillars of virtue and moral living.

THIS! LOL! There's a fine line between helping, nagging, and judging, but the line may be in the eye of the beholder. I hope to be aware of the way that I make others feel so as to improve the attitude of the world I live in.
  • elexichoccyeater
    Options
    Or when you're out running the trails and someone in workout clothes is puffing on one. hahahah I have to hold my breath as I go through the second-hand smoke cloud. so nasty!

why don't you do us all a favour and hold your breath for a bit longer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    It is better to work out whether one is a smoker or a non-smoker. At least they are moving in the right direction and hopefully counteracting some of the damage. I have never been a smoker, but I am sure it is an extremely difficult habit to break. Probably most of the people you have seen have tried to quit and/or would like to.

I find your post very judgemental though. I think it is about the same as saying how humorous you find obese people at the gym.

The smokers are ironic, but they are probably doing the best they can.

Loved your post!! I actually tried to quit so many times- with gum , patches you name it... Yeah agree with you very judgemental
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    anyone else find this humorous?!! counterproductive as well.

Why is this humorous?