Smokers At the Gym

Options

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Ha! As a former smoker I sympathize with the smokers- I feel like all of you pointing out that its 'counterproductive' think the smokers are stupid or delusional or somehow missed the memo that smoking negatively impacts your health. I assure you, they didn't. It's incredibly expensive and makes you a social pariah. With the exception of the people that won't quit because they fear weight gain, and the occasional smokers rights campaigner, smokers are all trying to quit smoking all the time.

You know how I quit? Going to the gym and running.

Finally, at more than one half marathon I've done, I've seen people light up a cigarette in the quarter mile shuttle walk at the end. This is a short walk after the finish line where all the runners are kind of cramped together to get your medals and your chip cut off your shoe, etc. There's no way to get away from someone in that situation. THAT, I think is obnoxious and kind of ironically funny, but being near a building smoking is not a big deal or a health risk for someone who has to walk by you for a moment. There are so much more important things to worry about.
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options

Also, I love how people de-friend another person for a simple. slightly silly, partially arrogant post. I mean, so it goes in the world of virtual friends. How great is that? Like, flash of lightning, and boom, no more friend. Awesome. Love it.

I am assuming this is directed at me, since I am the only one that has mentioned this on this thread. Yes, I defriended not one, but two people due to this thread. Here are my reasons. #1. I don't associate with judgemental people in "real" life, so why would I accept it in the virtual world? #2. I AM a smoker. I need someone that is going to support me, as a person, smoker and all. Not someone who will tell me that I am nasty and disgusting, and laugh at me in my vain attempts to eat healthier, work out daily, all while being a smoker.

So yeah. I did it. And you are right. I AM awesome, and you SHOULD love it, because I stand up for myself, and don't take **** from bullies.

A flower for you too. :flowerforyou:

Sure I directed it at you, but it was my intention to hit as many people participating on this fantastic thread as possible! Seriously, if you want to view a showcase of people who treat each other like as$holes, go to a forum where people are trying to improve their lives.

Let's agree that the OP succumbed to a moment of lighthearted arrogance, and the common ignorance that all non-smokers have. Harmless, ridiculous, ignorant. Then we get to enjoy the wave of support she received from the first response team, all of whom give a fantastic demonstration of insensitivity. This is great stuff already. But then we get--and I think we can all agree that there is nothing more hilarious--the overpowering counter wave of self-righteous indignation. Comment after comment after comment of nailing the OP to the wall. Totally brilliant. The classic self-righteous overreaction that floods out of the soul like its been trapped in there for way too long.

But that's only fourth gear! Fifth gear: de-friending! I mean, it's so perfect! Not only can you stop being friends in the virtual world just like that, you can do it publicly! It would be better if you could have a little flash file or something showing you clicking the de-friend button. Or maybe some way of virtually punching another person in the face. But I'm sure technology will catch up soon enough.

Like I said before, non-smokers are clueless and should pipe down; smokers--we're all hypocrites. It's bad. We know it. Onward.
  • LizKurz
    LizKurz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    The only thing I hate about smokers at the gym is when they're on the treadmill running next to you, and they start sweating, and the smell like a wet ashtray. It makes me ill even as an ex smoker.

But I hate when people come in perfumed up too, in the pool or in the machine room. It's strange because I workout at nine am. You would think most people wouldn't have put on perfume yet.

Eta for stupid auto correct.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    "You can say that no someone won't die from walking for a split second through a cloud of smoke, but seriously? Have that happen enough times, or even once, you have no idea which straw could be the last one before someone gets lung cancer... I think I'm done here. People are just... really selfish. Not that surprising I guess. If it really means that much to someone to be able to smoke right next to a building entrance that they're willing to put someone else's life in danger, that's just really insane to me. I personally have no issue with not smoking in public at all, and if I do, I keep a very good distance from entryways. Not hard."

People are just... really ignorant. Your healthy, pristine lungs will heal any small (imaginary) damage that they come in contact with on any given day. Do you know what pollution is? Car exhaust? Paint fumes? Brief contact with any pollutant, including cigarette smoke, is NOT going to give you cancer. Long term exposure is what you have to worry about, which is why you cannot smoke inside a public building anymore.

I think it's really insane that people go on anti smoker crusades fueled by blind, ignorant fear. Have you ever even peeked at a study on second hand smoke? Or do you just like the pretty posters hanging in public buildings that say smoking is bad?
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I have every right to stop and have a cigarette when and where I like it as long as it's outside. Who are you to tell me that i have to smoke in the middle of the street just because YOU are passing by. :mad:

So, you think your rights matter more than everyone else's then? Your right to smoke shouldn't infringe on others' rights. They have just as much of a right to NOT breathe in your cigarette smoke. The difference there is, you can still smoke and not do it where someone is bound to walk into a building, basically forcing them to walk through that cloud of smoke. For them, they pretty much have to walk through it if you're there smoking, unless they don't need / want to go inside the building... see my point?

There are too many unpleasant and unhealthy odors in life to expect a "right" to be free of them. Just hold your breath for 3 seconds and deal with it.

This attitude right here I'm positive is why so many people look down on smokers. Is it going to KILL you to smoke 20 feet further away? No. Will it KILL someone else to inhale your cigarette smoke? Possibly.

gimme a break !!!
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    I insist that cows fart 20 feet away from me. If the methane doesn't getcha...

I also respectfully request all Axe sprayed gentlemen keep that shif away from my squat rack, thankee. It gives me an asthma attack...and I don't even have asthma.

Thanks in advance.
  • cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I started working out and losing weight on July31st 2011. I smoked over a pack a day. Go to zumba, light up in parking lot. Go for longer than mile walk? Take smokes with you! On Oct 1st I set a quit date of December 1st. Actually quit on Dec 9th.

It has been Time Smoke-Free: 138 days, 5 hours, 5 minutes and 20 seconds

Cigarettes NOT smoked: 2764

Lifetime Saved: 21 days, 2 hours

Money Saved: $828.00

I WOULD KICK KITTENS FOR A SMOKE SOME DAYS (TODAY BEING ONE OF THEM)

I cannot smoke again because I got a tattoo celebrating my quitting and would have to cut off my leg if I started again! So when you smokers light up at the door to the gym could you blow some smoke my way? Thanks!

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: two flowers for me because I am having a rough day

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: THREE flowers for rchupka just because I think I love you. :drinker:
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    No worse than people who eat cheeseburgers being at the gym...
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Stop judging. Do you like it when people judge you?
  • annameier8706
    annameier8706 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Not gonna lie, I have notice that when I smoke THEN go work out I breath BETTER and have a higher cal burn. But I only smoke occasionally, less than a pack a week.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I insist that cows fart 20 feet away from me. If the methane doesn't getcha...

I also respectfully request all Axe sprayed gentlemen keep that shif away from my squat rack, thankee. It gives me an asthma attack...and I don't even have asthma.

Thanks in advance.

Please. You know my Axe body spray makes you rip my clothes off. I seen the commercial!
  • iam_thatdude
    iam_thatdude Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    I am a smoker, but I dont smoke AT the gym...in fact when I leave I wait until I get out of the parking lot due to all the judgers out there (ya know like the first 5 pages of this thread)
  • susieq101178
    susieq101178 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    And... don't think for even a second that smokers are the only people who stink.

amen
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    As someone who had been a pack-a-day smoker for over 20 years, let me tell you, quitting is no easy task. The fittest points of my life thus far involved a pack of Marbie Lights and a cup of coffee. I enjoyed smoking before a run, after a run, pretty much every hour or so..

The sad part is this. Everyday, I would tell myself I would quit tomorrow. I always beat myself up about it. How can I be so weak? I tried EVERYTHING atleast 2 times: patches, gum, hypnosis, Wellbutrin, cold turkey, Allan Carr's book, and nothing seemed to work.

I don't know one smoker who doesn't think about quitting all the time. I also don't know a smoker that is not very defensive about the addiction. The bottom line is, if you have never been a smoker then you DO NOT get it. (And be really glad)

As previous posters have said, smoking and going to the gym are not mutually exclusive.

People are so judgey.

Edited for spelling.
  • thepanttherlady
    thepanttherlady Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    To each his own. I'm trying to lose weight and be healthier but that doesn't mean I NEVER eat junk food.

What I don't like is when I am at the gym and someone who has just smoked gets on the treadmill next to me. I'm very sensitive to cigarette smoke (I also have asthma) and can't stand the smell. THIS bothers the hell out of me!!
  • NancyNiles
    NancyNiles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I say good for anyone exercising. EVEN smokers. I didn't start exercising until after I quit smoking but people like you are not helping by saying such things. Be supportive. Perhaps they are at the gym trying to get healthier to motivate themselves to quit smoking. Quitting is hard and not something I would expect a non-smoker to understand but I don't judge smokers, I try to understand and help if I can.

This! ^^^

People get healthy in a way they can manage. Today its exercise, tomorrow maybe they quit smoking. Be supportive. Picking on other people's struggles aren't going to help you achieve your own goals.
  • LifeOnMars_
    LifeOnMars_ Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Who really cares? I don't smoke but I don't care if someone chooses to light up after the gym. You should worry about yourself.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    People are just... really ignorant. Your healthy, pristine lungs will heal any small (imaginary) damage that they come in contact with on any given day. Do you know what pollution is? Car exhaust? Paint fumes? Brief contact with any pollutant, including cigarette smoke, is NOT going to give you cancer. Long term exposure is what you have to worry about, which is why you cannot smoke inside a public building anymore.

I think it's really insane that people go on anti smoker crusades fueled by blind, ignorant fear. Have you ever even peeked at a study on second hand smoke? Or do you just like the pretty posters hanging in public buildings that say smoking is bad?

Do you just enjoy being rude to people or what? I see nothing wrong with people trying to do everything they can to be healthy and extend their lifespan. Who the hell wouldn't be afraid of cancer? People get it all the time for no apparent reason, why take any unnecessary risks that could be avoided and possibly keep them from getting cancer? Who does it hurt? I really don't understand why people are defending this so fiercely. Smoking is BAD for you. Yes, so is pollution, but that's not something that can always be avoided. Smoking is a choice made by those who do it, and they CAN choose not to smoke around other people who don't do it if they really want to be considerate. Whether or not it can or will give someone cancer isn't even the whole of it; it's just plain rude to do that in a public area, period.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    To each his own. I'm trying to lose weight and be healthier but that doesn't mean I NEVER eat junk food.

What I don't like is when I am at the gym and someone who has just smoked gets on the treadmill next to me. I'm very sensitive to cigarette smoke (I also have asthma) and can't stand the smell. THIS bothers the hell out of me!!

So move.

I prefer not to run next to people whose deoderant gives out halfway through, those with the "runner trots" (or the gassy part anyway) or heavy drinkers. So I move.
  • DeeJayTJ
    DeeJayTJ Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    the only thing i hate about smokers is how they taste when you make out with them, and that they smell gross like cigarettes, or that they throw their cigarette butts everywhere.

the way i support a smoker at the gym is by not supporting smoking.