Smokers At the Gym

Options

Replies

• rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Anyone else just de-friend someone? I know I sure as Fu@k did. Smoke 'em if ya got 'em. :smokin:
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Anyone else just de-friend someone? I know I sure as Fu@k did. Smoke 'em if ya got 'em. :smokin:

Make that 2 people.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I have never been a smoker, but I have watched other people try to quit, and I have read some of the empirical literature on nicotine addiction. Nicotine is exceptionally addictive, so I understand that people have a hard time quitting. Just because they have a difficult time implementing one health related behavior (i.e. not smoking) does NOT mean that they should not engage in other healthy behaviors (e.g. eating well, exercising). They aren't doing themselves any favors by smoking, but they'd be making the situation even worse by not doing other things to keep themselves healthy.

Moreover, I've noticed that in recent years, there are two groups of people it is increasingly okay to hate, fat people and smokers. I used to have a neighbor who would sit in her car with the engine running until someone who was standing on the sidewalk (in open air) put out a cigarette. Only once the cigarette was out would she get out of her car. I watched her do this on a regular basis, as someone in our building smoked outside, and my front window looked out on to the sidewalk. To make it even more ridiculous, every time, she left her car running. She was so concerned about what a miniscule amount of second hand smoke from someone who was standing in open air was going to do to her, that she was willing to leave her car running (placing considerably more pollutants into the air). I don't get people. If anyone out there is perfect, they can go ahead and judge other people. Everyone else should keep their judgmental attitudes, and their rudeness to themselves.
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    It's not necessarily judgmental for a non-smoker to be offended or think it's nasty for a smoker to smoke near where they are. It is far more likely to get lung cancer from second hand smoke, so I can understand where the nonsmokers are coming from there. It is very disgusting when you don't smoke just to smell it, having it right in your face is even worse. I had a brief period of time where I was completely cigarette free, and let me tell you... during that time, I got to the point where just the smell of a cigarette made me ill. Of course, stress and what-not eventually led me back to it and I'm still struggling to quit now.

I think a lot of smokers are very defensive of their addiction, because it wasn't that long ago that it was very socially accepted almost everywhere. People used to be able to smoke in restaurants with their kids right next to them. Now, that's seen as a horrible thing (because it is a horrible thing, really.) But anyways... I don't think it's fair to judge all smokers equally, it is a hard addiction to fight and successfully quit. But, there is such thing as common courtesy too, smokers should stay a good distance away from nonsmokers I think. It's someone else's health you are putting at risk when you come within range of them with your cigarette smoke.

Oh so you want us to smoke in the bushes ?? haha, or to stop each person who passes you by and ask if it's ok to smoke or whether they're smoker's or not? yeah OK :explode:
  • sjeagle30
    sjeagle30 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    It's not necessarily judgmental for a non-smoker to be offended or think it's nasty for a smoker to smoke near where they are. It is far more likely to get lung cancer from second hand smoke, so I can understand where the nonsmokers are coming from there. It is very disgusting when you don't smoke just to smell it, having it right in your face is even worse. I had a brief period of time where I was completely cigarette free, and let me tell you... during that time, I got to the point where just the smell of a cigarette made me ill. Of course, stress and what-not eventually led me back to it and I'm still struggling to quit now.

I think a lot of smokers are very defensive of their addiction, because it wasn't that long ago that it was very socially accepted almost everywhere. People used to be able to smoke in restaurants with their kids right next to them. Now, that's seen as a horrible thing (because it is a horrible thing, really.) But anyways... I don't think it's fair to judge all smokers equally, it is a hard addiction to fight and successfully quit. But, there is such thing as common courtesy too, smokers should stay a good distance away from nonsmokers I think. It's someone else's health you are putting at risk when you come within range of them with your cigarette smoke.

If you are exposed to second hand smoke often then sure, it increases the risk of lung cancer. If you walk past a smoker you are not going to get lung cancer. Look at how many of us growing up had our parents smoke in the car with the heater on and windows up both puffing away! we are all ok still. When the big guy says its time to go I dont care if you work out every day and only eat what is good for you and are placed inside a plastic bubble or if you smoke 4 packs a day and do nothing to get in shape...its gonna happen when it happens.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options

Oh so you want us to smoke in the bushes ?? haha, or to stop each person who passes you buy to ask if it's ok to smoke or whether they're smoker's or not? yeah OK :explode:

It's really not that hard to smoke a far enough distance away from a public building so as not to bother anyone who might be going in or coming out of it...
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options

If you are exposed to second hand smoke often then sure, it increases the risk of lung cancer. If you walk past a smoker you are not going to get lung cancer. Look at how many of us growing up had our parents smoke in the car with the heater on and windows up both puffing away! we are all ok still. When the big guy says its time to go I dont care if you work out every day and only eat what is good for you and are placed inside a plastic bubble or if you smoke 4 packs a day and do nothing to get in shape...its gonna happen when it happens.

It's not your right to decide what goes into someone else's body though. That is their right, and it's completely reasonable for people not to want to inhale that crap. It's poison. Why should anyone have to increase their risk of lung cancer at all, even by a minute amount, just for your convenience?
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    You know if this were IRL and someone tried to make fun of me for lighting up a cig after working out I might just put it on on their face's.

Havent you gears the surgeon generals new warning " harrassing smoker about smoking is more detremental to your health than them smoking.... Dont like it walk away or go around me.
  • Liking_me_now
    Options
    I don't know about humorous but it always seems weird to me that people smoke at the gym. I don't like the smell at all though. As much as I think it is a terrible idea, who am I to judge?
  • sjeagle30
    Options

It's not your right to decide what goes into someone else's body though. That is their right, and it's completely reasonable for people not to want to inhale that crap. It's poison. Why should anyone have to increase their risk of lung cancer at all, even by a minute amount, just for your convenience?

Why should I go out of my way not to "offend" anyone that walks by. I already cant and dont smoke inside of any building. If you are coming towards me outside and I am smoking and you dont want to inhale it then turn around and go the other way or find an alternate route. Public is public. I dont stand in front of a store and smoke but if I am walking down the road and smoke and someone walks by...oh well. Not gonna drop dead right there!!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,547 Member
    Options
    Lol, a fit smoker is still better than someone not doing anything at all.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking, for about the 5th time, last July. I still crave cigarettes regularly. The only thing that stops me from lighting up is the risk of relapsing into full-blown addiction. I cannot change that, no matter how long I refrain from smoking or how healthy my lifestyle becomes. To judge someone for lighting up after a workout would incredibly hypocritical of me, because I’ve been that person.
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    oxymoron
  • sjeagle30
    Options
    Am I also safe to assume that all of you that think it is so counterproductive never ever put a drop of alchohol in your bodies or one bad food choice? Get over youselves.
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options

You're vilifying smokers because they are an easy target and the source of the pollutants to "your" air is easily identified. Why don't you go rail against the corporations that own our politicians and make laws or avoid them so they can pollute our earth causing 1,000x more damage to air quality than that lonely smoker affecting that one breath?
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    The only thing I've ever seen that cracks me up about fellow gym goers is how they fight for the closest parking spot near the door.

I park as far away as possible. Get a warm up and a cool down going just getting to and from my truck.

This bothers me more than a smoker working out. Smoking is an addiction and most will tell you to start exercising before you quit. But I knew someone who changed gyms because you had to park too far away (in a parking garage and down a hallway). Really? Aren't you going there to workout so what's the big deal about a walk!
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options

I'm sorry but you don't understand what the word "poison" means.

I'm gonna assume you drive a car, yes? Well it belches out around 10,000 pounds of carbon dioxide into the air every year. Why should anyone have to increase their risk of cancer, even by a minute amount, just for your convenience?

*people never think when they play this game*
  • jjelizalde
    jjelizalde Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I kept telling myself I would not respond to this, but I just can't. YOU are such a judgmental *kitten*.

I am one of those "Nasty" people you see smoking OUTSIDE of the Gym. I do it in my car, or stand down wind of the entrance, so as to not offend or disgust anyone. Heaven forbid a mouthful of smoke might blow past you in the wind and damage your untainted lungs.

And since you just can't understand my mentality - let me clue you in. I started smoking at a very young age. My friends were smokers. My dad is a smoker. My sibilings are smokers. Is it any real shock that I fell victim to this vice? As an adult that is focused on living a healthy life, I am aware of the disatvanges of smoking, and the health risks involved. WHICH is why I made an appointment to see my doctor about getting on something to help me quit. Patches? Gum? Pills? A hypnotherapist? I didn't know. MY DOCTOR told me point blank NOT to quit smoking right now. She knows that I am changing my lifestyle. I am eating better, I am working out daily. My Doctor advised me she didn't recommend doing both at the same time. She said if you fail at one, you'd probably give up on both. She suggested I wait until my new lifestyle was an absolute habit before I tried giving up smoking, and in fact, told me that she would NOT under any circumstance, prescribe any cessation aids to me until I got into a healthy weight range, Which for me, is about 60 pounds from now.

So before you go casting your self-rightous dirty looks at someone you know absolutely NOTHING about, except the fact that they are polluting YOUR clean air - why don't you keep your damn mouth shut, take a good look in the mirror, and focus on your own vices.

Oh, that's right. You don't have any. You're perfect. Here, have a flower. :flowerforyou:

You cracked me up :))) one more flower from another smoker :flowerforyou: :grumble:

I quit smoking 3 weeks ago and I'm using the patch. I thought this is the PERFECT time to quit! I'm changing my life here! I've quit smoking, I'm exercising and I'm watching my calories - what better time to quit? I guarantee you I will not gain weight from quitting because I'm exercising and watching my calories. I say give it a try.
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    One thing I love about these threads is how we get a wave of support for the original post--eight, maybe ten comments saying, "Oh yeah! This is the truest thing I've ever heard!"-- and then we get the undertow, a flood of anti-OP posts striking down the Creator with righteous anger; and the original support received by the OP completely vanishes, hoping that nobody on the righteous anger side will notice their political leanings.

Also, I love how people de-friend another person for a simple. slightly silly, partially arrogant post. I mean, so it goes in the world of virtual friends. How great is that? Like, flash of lightning, and boom, no more friend. Awesome. Love it.

People trying to change their lives for the better are by far the biggest pr!cks on life, huh?

I smoked for 15 years. Man, I loved it. Been off clean for five, now. Still miss it, especially after working out, especially after a lame breakfast of egg whites and spinach. About twice a month I'll have a dream where I'm walking the dog, or tying my shoes, or sitting on my *kitten*, and suddenly I'll look down and there in my hand is a half-smoked cigarette I can't remember smoking; and of course I'm like, holy *kitten*, I didn't mean for that to happen!

People who have never smoked: you have no idea. Ease up.

People who smoke: it sucks, it's bad for you, and just because other people eat too many Doritos doesn't make smoking any healthier. You know it. Yelling at other people because of their ignorance on the subject doesn't make it any healthier.

Now, back to the show. Carry on!
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    :mad:

I have every right to stop and have a cigarette when and where I like it as long as it's outside. Who are you to tell me that i have to smoke in the middle of the street just because YOU are passing by. :mad: