Smokers At the Gym

Options

Replies

• sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I don't like to judge people but I do find it annoying. At the dojo I work out in, is next to a bar. So there I am running multiple forms back to back working up a sweat on a hot day and all I can breathe in is cigarette smoke. Its their right and I cannot say anything but it does suck.

Agreed! Nothing like leaving the gym and having someone blowing smoke in your face, by the door. I should have the right to not have to breathe that in!
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    It's not necessarily judgmental for a non-smoker to be offended or think it's nasty for a smoker to smoke near where they are. It is far more likely to get lung cancer from second hand smoke, so I can understand where the nonsmokers are coming from there. It is very disgusting when you don't smoke just to smell it, having it right in your face is even worse. I had a brief period of time where I was completely cigarette free, and let me tell you... during that time, I got to the point where just the smell of a cigarette made me ill. Of course, stress and what-not eventually led me back to it and I'm still struggling to quit now.

I think a lot of smokers are very defensive of their addiction, because it wasn't that long ago that it was very socially accepted almost everywhere. People used to be able to smoke in restaurants with their kids right next to them. Now, that's seen as a horrible thing (because it is a horrible thing, really.) But anyways... I don't think it's fair to judge all smokers equally, it is a hard addiction to fight and successfully quit. But, there is such thing as common courtesy too, smokers should stay a good distance away from nonsmokers I think. It's someone else's health you are putting at risk when you come within range of them with your cigarette smoke.

If you are exposed to second hand smoke often then sure, it increases the risk of lung cancer. If you walk past a smoker you are not going to get lung cancer. Look at how many of us growing up had our parents smoke in the car with the heater on and windows up both puffing away! we are all ok still. When the big guy says its time to go I dont care if you work out every day and only eat what is good for you and are placed inside a plastic bubble or if you smoke 4 packs a day and do nothing to get in shape...its gonna happen when it happens.

It's not your right to decide what goes into someone else's body though. That is their right, and it's completely reasonable for people not to want to inhale that crap. It's poison. Why should anyone have to increase their risk of lung cancer at all, even by a minute amount, just for your convenience?

You're vilifying smokers because they are an easy target and the source of the pollutants to "your" air is easily identified. Why don't you go rail against the corporations that own our politicians and make laws or avoid them so they can pollute our earth causing 1,000x more damage to air quality than that lonely smoker affecting that one breath?

I guess you missed the part where I said I smoke... I'm not vilifying anyone, just saying that I don't see what is so hard about smokers avoiding common areas where others walk in and out of buildings frequently. It's common courtesy. I'm not railing against anyone, so chill out please.

I'm sorry but you don't understand what the word "poison" means.

I'm gonna assume you drive a car, yes? Well it belches out around 10,000 pounds of carbon dioxide into the air every year. Why should anyone have to increase their risk of cancer, even by a minute amount, just for your convenience?

*people never think when they play this game*

I don't drive a car, actually. I walk and ride my bike.
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I say good for anyone exercising. EVEN smokers. I didn't start exercising until after I quit smoking but people like you are not helping by saying such things. Be supportive. Perhaps they are at the gym trying to get healthier to motivate themselves to quit smoking. Quitting is hard and not something I would expect a non-smoker to understand but I don't judge smokers, I try to understand and help if I can.

I agree with you 100%. I am an ex-smoker and its one of the hardest things to quit......I've been on this site for over 2 years now and lately its just producing more negative statements than positive......just so sad that people are that "Perfect".
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Damn it, I don't smoke while I'm at work anymore since the 1st of the year - just have a few in the evening. But, I came back to look over some of this thread, and now I definitely want a cigarette, a shot of whiskey, and a McDonald's cheeseburger meal.

*rolls up in the hippie bus for all her MFP friends to hop in* *Snoop Dogg is also in the back*

WHO'S WITH ME :glasses:
  • LauraSmyth28
    LauraSmyth28 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    So because I'm a smoker I may as well go the whole hog and become a couch potato too? I don't understand your reasoning.

I always have a cigarette after a workout. Not at the gym, but in my back garden (no smoking inside as I have children).

Getting so out of breath that I feel dizzy and sick while doing intense cardio is making me want to quit more, but I'm still not in the righ place to do so yet. But I can't see what's ironic about me exercising? Surely that's a GOOD thing?

:smokin:
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Yep - Work out, go outside to have a cigarette and then repeat its like they are doing reps - I don't get it but I guess it is working for them.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I will never understand, but then again, there is nothing better for me than a diet coke after a workout -- so who am I to judge??

YES!!! I sooo agree!!
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    This site is supposed to be for people who are here to help each other in their fitness journey (losing weight, muscling up) not to make fun of each other and judge even when you think that you're better than the other person. That's all . No more posts from me- get really mad!
  • ajasmann
    ajasmann Posts: 4
    Options
    I like to park close to the door because I feel like my car is safer there. That way my car can be seen from the front windows, and will be less likely to be broken into. :~)
  • carloc
    carloc Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    We all pass judgement on other's everyday in our lives.
    We all make premature decisions about other people everyday in our lives.

We all have our own behaviours and life styles which have defined who we are over many years, whether this is a good or bad life style does not matter. It is what it is.

The important thing to remmeber is that almost everyone on this site, regardless of their life style is chosing to make a difference for themselves firstly and for their own personal improvement.

We decide very quickly about other people who do not fall into our ideal of what is good.

Years of performing habits which are not healthy are extremley difficult to break and change whether it is using food, using cigarettes, drinking or drugs etc. I think everyone here knows the amount of will power to make these changes is extrodinary, everyone here has already made this choice and started a journey that will improve their lives for their betterment.

Losing weight is just the first part, not long after we start working out and training, applying small goals for ourselves, these turn into bigger goals. More weight lose, running a 5k, 10k, riding for your bike for 10 miles, 40 miles.

I am a smoker. I smoke 1 pack a day. It takes time to break habits, smoking is a habit that can be broken, and it is another goal in my future to change for myself.

Let's remember where most of us where at physically and emotionally before we all started on this journey that we now can share with others, without judgement, without contempt. But with compasion and with encouragement and with the joy of succeding in making the small changes become the larger goal.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I have every right to stop and have a cigarette when and where I like it as long as it's outside. Who are you to tell me that i have to smoke in the middle of the street just because YOU are passing by. :mad:

So, you think your rights matter more than everyone else's then? Your right to smoke shouldn't infringe on others' rights. They have just as much of a right to NOT breathe in your cigarette smoke. The difference there is, you can still smoke and not do it where someone is bound to walk into a building, basically forcing them to walk through that cloud of smoke. For them, they pretty much have to walk through it if you're there smoking, unless they don't need / want to go inside the building... see my point?
  • KellyKAG
    KellyKAG Posts: 418
    Options
    I say good for anyone exercising. EVEN smokers. I didn't start exercising until after I quit smoking but people like you are not helping by saying such things. Be supportive. Perhaps they are at the gym trying to get healthier to motivate themselves to quit smoking. Quitting is hard and not something I would expect a non-smoker to understand but I don't judge smokers, I try to understand and help if I can.

I agree with you 100%. I am an ex-smoker and its one of the hardest things to quit......I've been on this site for over 2 years now and lately its just producing more negative statements than positive......just so sad that people are that "Perfect".

^^^ Both of these. Holy judgmental people.... waiting for the day when they just start stoning the smokers. Quitting smoking was one of the hardest things I have ever done. When I went to the gym as a smoker I waited to smoke until I was out of the parking lot of the gym because of judgmental asshats who are in other people's business. :drinker:
  • tishajo
    tishajo Posts: 146 Member
    Options

Yes. I agree with this ^^^^^^
  • ajasmann
    ajasmann Posts: 4
    Options
    The only thing I've ever seen that cracks me up about fellow gym goers is how they fight for the closest parking spot near the door.

I park as far away as possible. Get a warm up and a cool down going just getting to and from my truck.

I like to park close to the door because I feel like my car is safer there. That way my car can be seen from the front windows, and will be less likely to be broken into. :~)
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Anyone got a light? :flowerforyou:
  • Squeezalsize10
    Options
    I used to smoke after a work out or sport..hehe. (those were the days) quit smoking for 2years and still going! Its not easy to give up. Its funny tho cause i used to love and now i cant stand to be around 2nd hand smoke. Weird. Goodluck to those who are quitting or wanting to quit. BEST DECISION IVE MADE.
  • Aliciafolsberg
    Options
    For all of the self-righteous non-smokers, I suggest that you worry about yourself and no one else. I smoke, I exercise and my personal choices are my own. Maybe your hair annoys me...or the smell of the perfume you bathe in before you workout. To each their own. But you're all perfect I'm sure.
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Years ago, I smoked a TON, at least 2 packs a day. I also went to the gym 6 days a week and did Taekwondo 4-6 hours a day and even taugh TKD. Every break I got, I went outside to smoke, then went back in to work out some more. I loved working out and I loved smoking.

Smoking is a very strong addiction, one that it took me until I was 51 to break. Some can never break it. I support anyone in their own decisions as long as it isn't harmful to others. Who am I to tell them what to do? If I did not think smoking would aggravate my asthma, I'd still be puffing.
  • ShellBell4281
    ShellBell4281 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Seriously, where do you get off? So smokers can't and shouldn't work out? At least they're trying to do something healthy. Quitting is very, very hard. Perhaps that "disgusting" smoker cut down dramatically from the amount that they were smoking. I am one of those people who struggle with quitting. I cut down to 3 cigs a day. That was down from a pack a day. I was at the gym getting changed and a woman walks in and said, "You a smoker? Because you REEK!". I looked her right in the eye and said. "yes, but I cut down to 1 to 3 cigarettes a day. That's why I'm here. To break my bad habits". The woman get very embarrassed, and apologized. I was surprised that she could even smell the smoke on me since it had been several hours since I had one. Turns out that she was a former smoker and was very sensitive to the smell.

And no, just because someone lights up a cigarette after a workout does not completely cancel out all of the hard work they just did. Their muscles still need to recover and rebuild after lifting weights. Calories burned do not just magically reappear with a bit of nicotine.
  • bethmac_va
    Options
    I have to laugh at all of these responses. People get so emotional over smoking!

I am an ex smoker-quit 3 years ago using an electronic cigarette. It saved my life, I'm sure! I'm very happy to have been able to quit. I'd tried everything. Others have not been so lucky.

One thing I will NEVER do is judge a smoker. I got plenty of that when I did smoke. So I say, if a smoker is not smoking in your air space, then leave him/her alone.