Smokers At the Gym

Options

Replies

• deadgirl81
    deadgirl81 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I smoke, I go to the gym and I've lost a hell of a lot more weight than you.

Ha!! ^^^^ This!!!

I'm a smoker, I work out at home and if I have a ciggie, I have to go down 2 flights of stairs to go outside (yes I snoke outside, and not indoors) - my other half and housemate are non-smokers - oh and if I smoke at work, its up 3 flights of stairs to the roof, so at least I'm getting some extra exercise in during the day! (I know I should give up, its expensive...but, I really don't want to at the moment! Will do when I'M ready to!)

On the other hand, what bothers me, if I'm outside (don't smoke near buildings/doors if I can help it) say, walking to work and having a ciggie, there's a woman who wanders past me and puts on a great show of coughing everytime she either gets near me or walks past, so now just to spite her (and amuse me) I try and catch her up on purpose!! I'm outside for gods sake, not sat right in your face!!!
  • lalalalyndsey
    Options
    Damn it, I don't smoke while I'm at work anymore since the 1st of the year - just have a few in the evening. But, I came back to look over some of this thread, and now I definitely want a cigarette, a shot of whiskey, and a McDonald's cheeseburger meal.

*rolls up in the hippie bus for all her MFP friends to hop in* *Snoop Dogg is also in the back*

WHO'S WITH ME :glasses:

WAT UP SNOOP! I'm in! I can't believe all the ruckus about people smoking... I wonder if it was weed smoke, if anyone would have a fit? Roll it up Snoop n let's go stand in front of a gym ;D
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options

Also, I love how people de-friend another person for a simple. slightly silly, partially arrogant post. I mean, so it goes in the world of virtual friends. How great is that? Like, flash of lightning, and boom, no more friend. Awesome. Love it.

I am assuming this is directed at me, since I am the only one that has mentioned this on this thread. Yes, I defriended not one, but two people due to this thread. Here are my reasons. #1. I don't associate with judgemental people in "real" life, so why would I accept it in the virtual world? #2. I AM a smoker. I need someone that is going to support me, as a person, smoker and all. Not someone who will tell me that I am nasty and disgusting, and laugh at me in my vain attempts to eat healthier, work out daily, all while being a smoker.

So yeah. I did it. And you are right. I AM awesome, and you SHOULD love it, because I stand up for myself, and don't take **** from bullies.

A flower for you too. :flowerforyou:
  • valerietoxii
    valerietoxii Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have nothing against smokers, I am married to one. BUT, I hate hate hate when a heavy smoker hops on the treadmill next to me and the stench of smoke seeps out of their pores when they start sweating.

*off topic, but I always have to laugh when I walk out of the gym and there are fast food wrappers and bags in the parking lot.
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Damn it, I don't smoke while I'm at work anymore since the 1st of the year - just have a few in the evening. But, I came back to look over some of this thread, and now I definitely want a cigarette, a shot of whiskey, and a McDonald's cheeseburger meal.

*rolls up in the hippie bus for all her MFP friends to hop in* *Snoop Dogg is also in the back*

WHO'S WITH ME :glasses:

New. Favorite. Friend. :smokin:
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options

Ha!! ^^^^ This!!!

I'm a smoker, I work out at home and if I have a ciggie, I have to go down 2 flights of stairs to go outside (yes I snoke outside, and not indoors) - my other half and housemate are non-smokers - oh and if I smoke at work, its up 3 flights of stairs to the roof, so at least I'm getting some extra exercise in during the day! (I know I should give up, its expensive...but, I really don't want to at the moment! Will do when I'M ready to!)

On the other hand, what bothers me, if I'm outside (don't smoke near buildings/doors if I can help it) say, walking to work and having a ciggie, there's a woman who wanders past me and puts on a great show of coughing everytime she either gets near me or walks past, so now just to spite her (and amuse me) I try and catch her up on purpose!! I'm outside for gods sake, not sat right in your face!!!

See, this is completely different than smoking right by a building entrance imo. I just think smokers (myself included!) should be as considerate as possible when it comes to their habit, because it is a dangerous one and it's not as though we don't have a bad enough rap as it is. :P
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I have every right to stop and have a cigarette when and where I like it as long as it's outside. Who are you to tell me that i have to smoke in the middle of the street just because YOU are passing by. :mad:

So, you think your rights matter more than everyone else's then? Your right to smoke shouldn't infringe on others' rights. They have just as much of a right to NOT breathe in your cigarette smoke. The difference there is, you can still smoke and not do it where someone is bound to walk into a building, basically forcing them to walk through that cloud of smoke. For them, they pretty much have to walk through it if you're there smoking, unless they don't need / want to go inside the building... see my point?

There are too many unpleasant and unhealthy odors in life to expect a "right" to be free of them. Just hold your breath for 3 seconds and deal with it.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Especially on this site, I wouldn't expect such a pretentious post.

Many people like to judge fat and overweight people the same way as smokers. You're lazy/stupid/low class/stinky/unhealthy/weak.

And... don't think for even a second that smokers are the only people who stink.
  • Beezil
    Options
    I have every right to stop and have a cigarette when and where I like it as long as it's outside. Who are you to tell me that i have to smoke in the middle of the street just because YOU are passing by. :mad:

So, you think your rights matter more than everyone else's then? Your right to smoke shouldn't infringe on others' rights. They have just as much of a right to NOT breathe in your cigarette smoke. The difference there is, you can still smoke and not do it where someone is bound to walk into a building, basically forcing them to walk through that cloud of smoke. For them, they pretty much have to walk through it if you're there smoking, unless they don't need / want to go inside the building... see my point?

There are too many unpleasant and unhealthy odors in life to expect a "right" to be free of them. Just hold your breath for 3 seconds and deal with it.

This attitude right here I'm positive is why so many people look down on smokers. Is it going to KILL you to smoke 20 feet further away? No. Will it KILL someone else to inhale your cigarette smoke? Possibly.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I've never been a smoker, but if I am walking and I see people smoking and I don't want to inhale the smoke, I WALK THE **** AROUND THEM.

Some people care way too much about the little stupid ****, seriously.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    No one is going to die walking a half second through a dissipating cloud of smoke. You ever walk behind a car?

Get over yourself.

Most studies about second hand smoke are in a place with no ventilation in the same room as a smoker over a period of time. Most people smoke outside now and it is not hurting you AT ALL.

Most perfumes make me want to gag as I walk by but I don't tell you I think you stink, I just pick up my pace and walk on by.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    See, this is completely different than smoking right by a building entrance imo. I just think smokers (myself included!) should be as considerate as possible when it comes to their habit, because it is a dangerous one and it's not as though we don't have a bad enough rap as it is. :P

I smoked for many years and I know just how hard it is to stop. I was totally beserk for a full year while I was quitting. I also took a bunch of flak for smoking. I never judge a smoker, but I choose not to be around anyone who smokes, for a multitude of health reasons, and because I loathe the smell of cigarette smoke now. My only objection is to people who smoke in enclosed areas and I will say something then, if there is no place for me to escape the smoke. I don't mind if you put your health at risk, but I do mind if you put mine at risk.
  • Meatsies
    Meatsies Posts: 351 Member
    Options

Also, I love how people de-friend another person for a simple. slightly silly, partially arrogant post. I mean, so it goes in the world of virtual friends. How great is that? Like, flash of lightning, and boom, no more friend. Awesome. Love it.

I am assuming this is directed at me, since I am the only one that has mentioned this on this thread. Yes, I defriended not one, but two people due to this thread. Here are my reasons. #1. I don't associate with judgemental people in "real" life, so why would I accept it in the virtual world? #2. I AM a smoker. I need someone that is going to support me, as a person, smoker and all. Not someone who will tell me that I am nasty and disgusting, and laugh at me in my vain attempts to eat healthier, work out daily, all while being a smoker.

So yeah. I did it. And you are right. I AM awesome, and you SHOULD love it, because I stand up for myself, and don't take **** from bullies.

A flower for you too. :flowerforyou:

I like you. GOOD FOR YOU. You are awesome.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    This attitude right here I'm positive is why so many people look down on smokers. Is it going to KILL you to smoke 20 feet further away? No. Will it KILL someone else to inhale your cigarette smoke? Possibly.

It actually might. I live in a city. You know what's 20 feet away from a door? Another door. To smoke away from anyone else I'd pretty much have to stand in the middle of an intersection.

When everyone stops driving I'll take this nonsense about "Ooh I insist I only breathe pure air" seriously.
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options

I'm not even a smoker
  • Changing__Christina
    Options

You are awesome Brett! I don't smoke, but I will have a cig with you anytime! :)
  • Beezil
    Options
    You can say that no someone won't die from walking for a split second through a cloud of smoke, but seriously? Have that happen enough times, or even once, you have no idea which straw could be the last one before someone gets lung cancer... I think I'm done here. People are just... really selfish. Not that surprising I guess. If it really means that much to someone to be able to smoke right next to a building entrance that they're willing to put someone else's life in danger, that's just really insane to me. I personally have no issue with not smoking in public at all, and if I do, I keep a very good distance from entryways. Not hard.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I say good for anyone exercising. EVEN smokers. I didn't start exercising until after I quit smoking but people like you are not helping by saying such things. Be supportive. Perhaps they are at the gym trying to get healthier to motivate themselves to quit smoking. Quitting is hard and not something I would expect a non-smoker to understand but I don't judge smokers, I try to understand and help if I can.
    Thank you for posting this! The world needs more people like you.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    By working out the smokers are reducing their health risk of getting sick... so kudos to them for doing something for their body. Exercise lowers the threat of smoking related diseases...such as heart disease....

No matter if you are a smoker or not it is a good thing to exercise three or more times per week. And hey, maybe those smokers are trying to quit and using exercise as a way to curb their habit.
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I just quit smoking 3 days ago. Who are any of you to judge what other people are doing? Mind your own business. :indifferent:

hehehe...you are still in the "it's only been three days and I am cranky" phase! I don't think she was trying to be too bad...I think that is why she put it in "dhit-chat fun and games"

ex-smoker here...5-1/2 years. I used to LOVE to smoke after working out....dunno why.....kind of like I loved to smoke after I ate! Well, actually, I loved to smoke all the time!!

I don't mind when others smoke, just be considerate about it....that is my biggest beef!!

:bigsmile: