Smokers At the Gym

Options

Replies

• Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Hahaha I used to look forward to that post-workout smoke in the car as I left the gym parking lot back when I was a smoker, not even going to lie. I associated smoking with breaks/downtime, and sweating my butt off for an hour required a break afterwards, cigarette in hand. Logical? Not in the least, but justifiable in an nicotine addict's mind.

Now if anything, getting winded half-way into my workout is enough to keep me away from the cigs apart from all the other good reasons to quit (for the most part, I slip up and have a casual smoke a few times in a year at social gatherings, but I'm really working on cutting them out 100% instead of 98%)
  • deadgirl81
    deadgirl81 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    And now on that note, I'm going for a *kitten* :happy: :flowerforyou:
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    We all pass judgement on other's everyday in our lives.
    We all make premature decisions about other people everyday in our lives.

We all have our own behaviours and life styles which have defined who we are over many years, whether this is a good or bad life style does not matter. It is what it is.

The important thing to remmeber is that almost everyone on this site, regardless of their life style is chosing to make a difference for themselves firstly and for their own personal improvement.

We decide very quickly about other people who do not fall into our ideal of what is good.

Years of performing habits which are not healthy are extremley difficult to break and change whether it is using food, using cigarettes, drinking or drugs etc. I think everyone here knows the amount of will power to make these changes is extrodinary, everyone here has already made this choice and started a journey that will improve their lives for their betterment.

Losing weight is just the first part, not long after we start working out and training, applying small goals for ourselves, these turn into bigger goals. More weight lose, running a 5k, 10k, riding for your bike for 10 miles, 40 miles.

I am a smoker. I smoke 1 pack a day. It takes time to break habits, smoking is a habit that can be broken, and it is another goal in my future to change for myself.

Let's remember where most of us where at physically and emotionally before we all started on this journey that we now can share with others, without judgement, without contempt. But with compasion and with encouragement and with the joy of succeding in making the small changes become the larger goal.

I read this and laughed at myself for getting so puffy about the topic. He's right, and we all know it. Thanks for laying down some real wisdom. You certainly helped me chill out. :glasses:
  • saturnine15
    saturnine15 Posts: 140
    Options
    Ugh, I feel like I shouldn't get into this...
    I smoke. I have quit for months at a time, and it is miserable. If you have never smoked, you have absolutely no idea how difficult it is to quit. You cannot conceive of what a quitting person is going through. You just can't. The desire never goes away. It gets better with time, but it doesn't completely go away. If it does, I never quit for that long.

Quitting for me goes like this...
    Day 1 Hour 1- YESS I am gonna do this. Ciggs are evil.
    Day 1 5 minutes later- Dont think about smoking...dont think about smoking. Dont think about smoking.
    Day 1 2 hours later- I start to feel like I am not actually on this planet. Its like not being able to relax while having that super crazy sharp feeling of being really over tired. I feel like Arnold when he gets thrown out onto the surface of Mars without a space suit in Total Recall.
    Day 1 3 hours later- pacing begins, tantrums will happen if provoked, eating and sleep is the only thing that helps and its only temporary,
    Day 1 Night time- Crying begins. Yes, I cry. It is mental and physical anguish.

Day 2 morning- Feeling ok- totally better than the day before
    Day 2 afternoon- Mental torture. Bargaining. Thinking just one puff would make it better. Just one! I swear! Hating smokers who havent quit. Hating non smokers. Hating people who congratulate you...nothing matters or makes it better.
    Day 2 evening- Can go either way. This day usually ends with- I will NEVER SMOKE AGAIN.

Fast Forward- a week later- the first major pang- I usually cry again.

Then, drink in hand- weeks or months later, someone is smoking...and I bum one. Repeat process.

All that aside, I do prefer to avoid people outside when I am smoking. I refuse to smoke near children, and can smell stale smoke in my clothes and do not like it. It isnt healthy, everyone knows it. It feels really good for smokers and hurts reaaaallly bad when they stop. I dont really know where I was going with this, but there it is.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    People are just... really ignorant. Your healthy, pristine lungs will heal any small (imaginary) damage that they come in contact with on any given day. Do you know what pollution is? Car exhaust? Paint fumes? Brief contact with any pollutant, including cigarette smoke, is NOT going to give you cancer. Long term exposure is what you have to worry about, which is why you cannot smoke inside a public building anymore.

I think it's really insane that people go on anti smoker crusades fueled by blind, ignorant fear. Have you ever even peeked at a study on second hand smoke? Or do you just like the pretty posters hanging in public buildings that say smoking is bad?

Do you just enjoy being rude to people or what? I see nothing wrong with people trying to do everything they can to be healthy and extend their lifespan. Who the hell wouldn't be afraid of cancer? People get it all the time for no apparent reason, why take any unnecessary risks that could be avoided and possibly keep them from getting cancer? Who does it hurt? I really don't understand why people are defending this so fiercely. Smoking is BAD for you. Yes, so is pollution, but that's not something that can always be avoided. Smoking is a choice made by those who do it, and they CAN choose not to smoke around other people who don't do it if they really want to be considerate. Whether or not it can or will give someone cancer isn't even the whole of it; it's just plain rude to do that in a public area, period.

It won't give you cancer. Probably as risky as spraying hairspray at yourself in a bathroom. Hairspray is probably worse. Since it is not, in any way whatsoever, hurting you, what is the problem?

There is not always the choice to go somewhere else. Of course it's polite to move away from doors, but you act like they are exhaling a death sentence on you rather than a very minor annoyance.
  • melgillis
    melgillis Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I haven't really encountered any smokers at our gym, but I'm sure some must. One shouldn't judge lest he or she be judged. Just don't say anything to me when as I'm leaving after an intense circuit training or zumba workout that I turn left at the light and go get my coffee. Or after I arrive home I inhale half a bag of tortilla chips. We all have our monkeys on our backs and the consequences thereof.

Good luck to all on this life journey that we share. God speed and peace.
  • mississippi_queen
    mississippi_queen Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I just quit smoking 3 days ago. Who are any of you to judge what other people are doing? Mind your own business. :indifferent:

exactly, mind your own business, at least they're outside smoking, or in their own vehicle...jesus, you aren't perfect, i'm pretty sure you have a vice or something that's not healthy for you that you do...stop being such a snob

This!! Mind your own business! Maybe you could be a little bit compassionate if you stopped having so much negativity in you. You should encourage anyone to better their lives instead of saying they should stay out of the gym just because they smoke! Maybe you should stay out of the gym because you have a negative attitude!
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Ok guys, sorry --- I guess there goes my feeble attempts at making new MFP pals. LOL!

but, I was enlightened (pun intended) I appreciate all the responses. I see it strikes a very emotional chord in most people. And brings out the shining maturity in most ;)

happy wednesday guys! thanks for playing!

This could not have gone any other way... not being a smoker yourself you don't understand how protective smokers are about their rights and how angry it makes them when people who don't understand judge them. I speak from the experience of a former smoker who quit at least 3 times before it stuck. It's been almost 5 years and sometimes I still want one. I've heard this opinion from coworkers who see others walking at lunchtime and all I have to say is, it's better than sitting at their desks eating big macs.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I always find it ironic to see someone smoking before or after their work out..but I know it's a habit that's hard to quit. That being said it annoys the *kitten* out of me when someone jumps onto the treadmill next to me thats obviously a smoker and REEKS of their last cigarette!!!! I have allergies and asthma it really causes a lot of irritation to my nose and throat. Yuck stinky!!
  • mccarol1956
    mccarol1956 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt judge them if theyre at the gym.

One thing that does irk me is seeing nurses outside a hospital smoking or nurses inside a hospital eating loads of unhealthy takeaway food (especially in the ward where all the people getting bypasses are).

The breathing respiratory therapist we see at DUKE children's hospital is a chain smoker! I'm like...dude, we were just in here b/c our son has chronic breathing problems...sure we'll wait while you take a smoke break....UM HELLO! LOL

do NOT get me started on doctors and nurses who have the WORST health practices. lord!

Believe it or not Doctors and Nurses are human too, they have the same problems as the rest of the world, some smoke, some overeat, some work so many hours they have no time for formal exercise. Hmmmm, imagine that humans, like the rest of us...don't judge
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Not really. People try to better themselves a little at a time. I say good job for them.
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Day 2 afternoon- Mental torture. Bargaining. Thinking just one puff would make it better. Just one! I swear! Hating smokers who havent quit. Hating non smokers. Hating people who congratulate you...nothing matters or makes it better.

Then, drink in hand- weeks or months later, someone is smoking...and I bum one. Repeat process.

TRUTH!!! I just felt so not alone!:laugh: :drinker:
  • mississippi_queen
    mississippi_queen Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    And now on that note, I'm going for a *kitten* :happy: :flowerforyou:

Bahahaha!!! Me too! :smokin:
  • susieq101178
    susieq101178 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I feel like I shouldn't get into this...
    I smoke. I have quit for months at a time, and it is miserable. If you have never smoked, you have absolutely no idea how difficult it is to quit. You cannot conceive of what a quitting person is going through. You just can't. The desire never goes away. It gets better with time, but it doesn't completely go away. If it does, I never quit for that long.

Quitting for me goes like this...
    Day 1 Hour 1- YESS I am gonna do this. Ciggs are evil.
    Day 1 5 minutes later- Dont think about smoking...dont think about smoking. Dont think about smoking.
    Day 1 2 hours later- I start to feel like I am not actually on this planet. Its like not being able to relax while having that super crazy sharp feeling of being really over tired. I feel like Arnold when he gets thrown out onto the surface of Mars without a space suit in Total Recall.
    Day 1 3 hours later- pacing begins, tantrums will happen if provoked, eating and sleep is the only thing that helps and its only temporary,
    Day 1 Night time- Crying begins. Yes, I cry. It is mental and physical anguish.

Day 2 morning- Feeling ok- totally better than the day before
    Day 2 evening- Can go either way. This day usually ends with- I will NEVER SMOKE AGAIN.

Fast Forward- a week later- the first major pang- I usually cry again.

All that aside, I do prefer to avoid people outside when I am smoking. I refuse to smoke near children, and can smell stale smoke in my clothes and do not like it. It isnt healthy, everyone knows it. It feels really good for smokers and hurts reaaaallly bad when they stop. I dont really know where I was going with this, but there it is.

Sounds about right
  • saintspoon
    saintspoon Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I smoke... about 3/4 of a pack a day. To be successful I have to do it one step at a time... right now I want to be less friggen fat, I don't care so much about my lungs right this moment.

All things in good time :) You'll often find me walking, smoking a cig & checking my heart rate at the same time... & that's better then me sitting at home growing *kitten* while smoking :smokin:
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I haven't really encountered any smokers at our gym, but I'm sure some must. One shouldn't judge lest he or she be judged. Just don't say anything to me when as I'm leaving after an intense circuit training or zumba workout that I turn left at the light and go get my coffee. Or after I arrive home I inhale half a bag of tortilla chips. We all have our monkeys on our backs and the consequences thereof.

Good luck to all on this life journey that we share. God speed and peace.

Um, who DOESN'T want tortilla chips after Zumba?? The music makes me want to eat chips and salsa, tortillas and guacamole, tacos and burritos.....all washed down with a cold margarita.

Wait, what were we talking about?
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    And as for the debate of second hand smoke that is going on here - me personally - I already have stated that I smoke in my car, away from doorways, and down wind from doorways.

But - we smokers are already the outcasts of society. We get yelled at, looked down upon, and scolded for doing something that has existed for as long as humanity has existed. WE are smoking outside of the doors because that is where society has put us. WE are smoking 20 feet away from the entrance, because we can be ticketed or arrested for standing too close to a doorway. We stand in the cold. We stand in the rain. We stand in the wind that we are hoping is not blowing in your direction.

I HAVE to smoke outside. I am NOT intentionally blowing smoke in your face praying you get lung cancer from my second hand smoke. I have ALREADY gone out of MY way to partake in something as an American adult, is legally my right to do. I have already walked the required 20 feet away from the doorway so that I don't pollute your air with my chosen poison. I have just as much right to smoke, as you do to NOT smoke.

We already can't smoke in the workplace, in bars, in restraunts, in stores, in the coffee shop, in the gym, at the airport, on an airplane, on the bus, on a train, while we exercise, while we eat, in the park, at concerts, and any number of other places and situations. So my question to you is, just where would you like me to go?
  • Fabnover40Kat
    Fabnover40Kat Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I've made it my new goal to run a 5k while chain smoking the entire time. Thanks for the motivation!

Me too and finished in the top 10 of my age group!!
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I smoke and exercise. not at the same time, but I do both. I also eat Chipolte. Nothing wrong with it...

Whats shakin beautiful!?!?! I workout about 3-4 times a week...........................and I do smoke a ciggarette a day. Yeap thats right my night cap! I also have a couple of glasses of wine on a nightly basis.........................I dont see anything wrong with it as long as you are NOT smoking inside the gym.:devil:
  • natboosh69
    natboosh69 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I smoke...and exercise (not simultaneously I might add), better than being a smoker and not exercising!
    My priority is to lose weight, and whilst it may be slightly harder as a smoker, there's NO way I could do both at once, one step at a time...