I don't understand........

Options
iuangina
iuangina Posts: 691 Member
How people have trouble eating all their calories? Can someone explain?

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Because I've changed what I eat. Instead of eating Doritos with my sandwich, I go for a salad or cassava chips. The 'better for you' foods tend to have fewer calories than processed meats/cheeses and candy.
  • CEQuick75
    CEQuick75 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I've run into this myself lately. I upped my calories and found I was struggling. I think for me it came down to not wanting just any calories to reach goal. That, and mentally it's tough to eat when you are not hungry and in the process of trying to lose weight. Just my 2 cents.
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I'm not hungry enough to eat them all, I guess. Sometimes it feels like my dinner is all the way in my esophagus I feel so stuffed. I don't know, I eat when I'm hungry *shrug*

I feel like a lot of people don't know the difference between physical hunger and emotional or bored "hunger."
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Those people cut who out all the processed foods and eat only the really healthy stuff, tend to have a diet that have barely any calories.

Due to my love of chocolate and sweets, I never have that problem.
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options

I don't think they do. They just want attention most of the time.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I've run into this myself lately. I upped my calories and found I was struggling. I think for me it came down to not wanting just any calories to reach goal. That, and mentally it's tough to eat when you are not hungry and in the process of trying to lose weight. Just my 2 cents.

The same here.

Also I tend to eat foods that fill me up but are low in calories like veggies and fruits.

I'm not going to force myself to eat if I'm not hungry.
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Just spend 60 seconds eating peanut butter. 4 spoonfuls...it's like 500 calories. Not hard.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options

When I started, I could eat twice my calories, no problem!

Then I started eating a better balance of fats, proteins, and carbs (which in my case meant fewer carbs, a little more fat, and a good bit more protein). Now the foods I eat tend to make me feel more full, and full for longer periods of time, and I'm slowly learning to differentiate between different types of hunger (and differentiating hunger from thirst, which can be surprisingly tricky sometimes, especially after a lot of sodium!).
  • LauraSmyth28
    LauraSmyth28 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    It's something I don't 'get' either. We're all on here because at one point we ate too many calories, so how can people now all of a sudden not eat enough?

It's not a problem I have :laugh: .
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    i have a hard time "eating my calories" when I up my calories because honestly i'm scared to death to wake up one day weighing 175 again....especially after all that hard work to get to where i am.

that being said, somedays I just don't wnat to eat.
    other days I'm just too busy to eat.
    or too tired.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    It's something I don't 'get' either. We're all on here because at one point we ate too many calories, so how can people now all of a sudden not eat enough?

It's not a problem I have :laugh: .

some people are here recovering from EDs. Actually. A lot are.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I think the idea that food=fatness is so pervasive that when we try to lose weight, people try subconsciously to stay on the verge of being hungry all the time, otherwise it doesn't feel like you're doing enough.

Also, lower calorie foods are generally volumetrically larger per unit calorie, so it takes a bigger volume of food to meet your calorie goals. Since people frequently switch to restricted calorie diets and choosing lower-calorie foods at the same time, you fill up quickly (but probably get hungry quickly, too).
  • Karalopolous
    Options
    I have no problems eating more than my cals. I dont understand it either.....just different body types I suppose
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    A cup of cauliflower has like 60 calories and is very filling, a cup of potato chips has like 200 calories and in an hour you are back for more. So with this knowledge if you are eating 4 OZ of protein say 200 calories, a salad for maybe 100, a piece of fruit for 100, and some good veggies for under 100. That is a lot of food. Now if you do this three times a day and you are stuffed that is around 1500 calories but you exercised and your goal is 1900 you don't want chips and cake after such good choices yep I can see and know why it is hard to eat all your calories.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I have a tough time......When I am low on breakfast and lunch I go into dinner with 2500k left...............Sometimes it's tough to get 2500 cals down in one sitting.......Not usually........but sometimes.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    A cup of cauliflower has like 60 calories and is very filling, a cup of potato chips has like 200 calories and in an hour you are back for more. So with this knowledge if you are eating 4 OZ of protein say 200 calories, a salad for maybe 100, a piece of fruit for 100, and some good veggies for under 100. That is a lot of food. Now if you do this three times a day and you are stuffed that is around 1500 calories but you exercised and your goal is 1900 you don't want chips and cake after such good choices yep I can see and know why it is hard to eat all your calories.

If I eat anything I am back in an hour for more.... I don't understand.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    bad planning i suppose. or denial.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Just spend 60 seconds eating peanut butter. 4 spoonfuls...it's like 500 calories. Not hard.

But calories aren't the only thing people look at. I tend to hit my fat and carb limits before I hit my calorie goals. As a diabetic, it's important that I NOT over indulge in carbs (due to their effect on blood glucose levels) and fat ( due to an increased risk of cardiovascular problems as a result of diabetes) I concentrate on protein, but unless I go for fatty meats, protein isn't particularly high in calories) Almond butter (have a peanut allergy) is one of my go-to snacks, but I can't have 4 spoonfuls without going in the red in the fat category ... and my allowable fat % is already higher because my carb % is lower

SO ... now that I am actually concentrating on healthy eating, it's hard to hit my calorie goals each day. Not because I'm seeking attention, but because I'm actually paying attention and not mindlessly scarfing down a Big Mac, large fries and a Diet Coke every day.
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options

So you get cals but also get sugars and hydrogenated oils. Not hard, but not alwys the best.

and no, us folks that don't get all our cals are looking for attention, we're just not shoving food down our throats 24/7
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

For me it was because I was eating to little for so long. When I upped I thought to myself ohh but I'm eating healthier things now so I'm fuller...yes I was...because I was only eating 1200 calories a day and hardly had a stomach. I can eat much more of the healthier things now.