I don't understand........

Options

Replies

• Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    How people have trouble eating all their calories? Can someone explain?

I don't think they do. They just want attention most of the time.

Judgemental much? I am also one of those who find themselves with excess calories at the end of the day, mostly because, after all the years of trying to keep calories as low as possible, it's hard to buy into the "eat your allotted calories or go into starvation mode" theory. And I've been eating healthier, simple as that.

But do you post on here about how it is so hard for you to eat enough? The posting about it (It seems like there is a new post on this subject every hour) is the attention grabbing part.

I don't see how people posting about having an issue eating all their calories is any different from someone posting about eating over their calories every day and having a difficult time staying withing their calorie goal. These are both reasonable struggles. Not everyone is coming to this site with the same issues, the same history, the same current status. I don't understand how someone discussing their specific struggle makes them an attention junkie, if that were true we'd all be caught red handed.

" I don't understand how someone discussing their specific struggle makes them an attention junkie, if that were true we'd all be caught red handed."

thank you, reading that crap was giving me a tension headache.. some people just don't get it..
  • MelMena
    MelMena Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I was having a hard time becasue I would have a small breakfast - egg whites (HATE yolk, don't tell me to eat it!) and a yogurt. About 200 calories. Then I would have a decent lunch - but still less than 500 calories. Maybe a fruit snack - 100 calories tops and so I would have 800 calories eaten before dinner time...but I would burn 5-600. Then I would have ton of calories to eat after 5pm.

NOW I'm starting to plan better- 500 calorie breakfast. Snack. 500 calorie lunch, snack. snack, 700 calorie dinner, snack, snack.
  • sunshinedazed
    Options
    I have issues with it after struggling with disordered eating for the last ~15 years of my life. I'm overweight because I binge eat, not because I am constantly eating... so making a healthy lifestyle change means eating healthier things, frequently. I drink ~200oz of water every day. I very rarely if ever feel hungry (I am not sure if this is due to the water intake, or because my mind is FREAKING OUT about putting so much food in my body!). Dinner last night was really difficult for me, and even pushing, I couldn't hit my calorie limit.

It's an uphill battle to teach my body it's not actually SUPPOSED to be hungry. I know for some people it's no issue at all to hit their limits, but for me, used to eating VERY little during the day (and then stuffing my face in the middle of the night with useless calories and carbs!), it really can be hard to hit 1400 calories a day. I don't want to lower it, because my doctor already has me at a pretty low limit considering my weight, but yeah... not everyone is built the same, made the same, thinks the same, or loses the same, my friend. :)
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

Some of simply do not have large appetites and don't see a reason to stuff ourselves full of food to meet a number that really means nothing.

It is not the QUANTITY of food that matters, but the QUALITY.

Even though I eat a high fat way of eating and moderate protein, my calories are low to people, but my nutrition is on point and that is all that matters.
  • Bumdrahp
    Options

True! Those that post looking for help want attention because how is someone going to help you eat more cals? Add some butter :laugh: But people do have this issue when they are eating really healthy and dont want to reach their goal by eating ice cream at night.

yes, I do personally have that issue. I feel so hungry all day, i eat clean, healthy meal choices and plenty of snacks and STILL do not reach my goal every day. I am not about to add butter to my diet or eat spoonfuls of peanutbutter. I'm all set when I am trying to better my lifestyle all together. When I feel hungry I eat, and when I dont feel hungry I am not force feeding myself... so if i don't reach my goals becasue im not putting sourcream and butter on all my food, oh well.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

What an ignorant statement.
  • Bumdrahp
    Options

What an ignorant statement.

Couldn't agree more..
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Sure it's easy to eat your calories in carp but when trying to eat healthy and stay within carbs, fat etc., then it's a different story.
  • LeanMeanFitnessMachine
    Options
    A cup of cauliflower has like 60 calories and is very filling, a cup of potato chips has like 200 calories and in an hour you are back for more. So with this knowledge if you are eating 4 OZ of protein say 200 calories, a salad for maybe 100, a piece of fruit for 100, and some good veggies for under 100. That is a lot of food. Now if you do this three times a day and you are stuffed that is around 1500 calories but you exercised and your goal is 1900 you don't want chips and cake after such good choices yep I can see and know why it is hard to eat all your calories.

Exactly.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I think people get so caught up in the 'must lose weight, must eat NO calories' mentality when they are trying to lose weight -- which is totally the wrong way to think by the way. You can't convince these people that eating actually helps you lose weight. Luckily, I get that. (and it does work by the way)
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    People are probably choosing extremely low calorie foods that are more filling... They are also drinking more water which is filling....

Soooo...they feel full and can't eat all their calories back.

Or, they are logging the incorrect calorie amounts for foods.
  • nnapieralski
    nnapieralski Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I've run into this myself lately. I upped my calories and found I was struggling. I think for me it came down to not wanting just any calories to reach goal. That, and mentally it's tough to eat when you are not hungry and in the process of trying to lose weight. Just my 2 cents.

This exactly!!
  • rinnismom
    rinnismom Posts: 190
    Options

^this^ uber high-five to you, sir!!
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Just spend 60 seconds eating peanut butter. 4 spoonfuls...it's like 500 calories. Not hard.

For 160 calories you can eat 1/4 cup of roasted unsalted peanuts! You just can't have a beer with them LOL
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    Just spend 60 seconds eating peanut butter. 4 spoonfuls...it's like 500 calories. Not hard.

If I am not hungry, I am not going to eat. Period. That is stupid.

And peanut butter is no longer in my house as it is not healthy. I will opt for almond or macadamia nut butter for a snack on a piece of fruit or celery.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    It's something I don't 'get' either. We're all on here because at one point we ate too many calories, so how can people now all of a sudden not eat enough?

It's not a problem I have :laugh: .

Not everyone gains weight from over eating.

Medications and medical conditions can cause weight gain also. No need for generalizations.
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options

If I am not hungry, I am not going to eat. Period. That is stupid.

And peanut butter is no longer in my house as it is not healthy. I will opt for almond or macadamia nut butter for a snack on a piece of fruit or celery.

Peanut butter is not inherently unhealthy. All natural PB is tasty.
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I find I sometimes have a hard time because I went from low calories (1200, 1320) to 1700-1800. I got so used to finding low cal foods that kept me full that now i'm used to eating that way I guess. I find sometimes i've reached the end of the day and still have several hundred calories remaining but i'm not hungry so then I struggle to find something so that i'm not so far under. I think as I get used to it it will get easier though.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options

^this^ uber high-five to you, sir!!

yeah, because people with eating disorders do it for attention.

my god. the ignorance.
  • slyder432
    slyder432 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I've run into this myself lately. I upped my calories and found I was struggling. I think for me it came down to not wanting just any calories to reach goal. That, and mentally it's tough to eat when you are not hungry and in the process of trying to lose weight. Just my 2 cents.

This^^^^^