I don't understand........

Options

Replies

• Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    How people have trouble eating all their calories? Can someone explain?

I don't think they do. They just want attention most of the time.

^this^ uber high-five to you, sir!!

yeah, because people with eating disorders do it for attention.

my god. the ignorance.

Yup!
  • rinnismom
    rinnismom Posts: 190
    Options
    i will say this...

there are days where i eat lots of bulky foods that are low in calories and i feel full. you don't have to eat back each and every calorie that you are allotted for the day (that's just common sense).

i am very active and i could eat more than what i'm supposed to if i'm not careful. i know the difference between being bored and being hungry. i'm realistic with myself and know that my metabolism has upped. if i sat around all day long on my puff pillow reading poetry and sketching flitting birds over the garden, then i'd probably not be as hungry. but i keep my body working hard and it needs loads of food to keep up.

...and as many people as i hear say this "how can you..." it really makes me wonder what you're eating, how you're eating, when you're eating, and what kind of activities you're into.

i LOVE food. i find ways to keep the good and tasty stuff going right into my meals. i really find it difficult to understand how you aren't able to eat them most days.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Just spend 60 seconds eating peanut butter. 4 spoonfuls...it's like 500 calories. Not hard.

If I am not hungry, I am not going to eat. Period. That is stupid.

And peanut butter is no longer in my house as it is not healthy. I will opt for almond or macadamia nut butter for a snack on a piece of fruit or celery.

Peanut butter is not inherently unhealthy. All natural PB is tasty.

Peanuts are one of the most toxic foods one can eat and it is highly inflammatory. Makes it unhealthy in my book and does not go in my shopping cart or dot the door to my home.
  • LauraSmyth28
    LauraSmyth28 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    It's something I don't 'get' either. We're all on here because at one point we ate too many calories, so how can people now all of a sudden not eat enough?

It's not a problem I have :laugh: .

Not everyone gains weight from over eating.

Medications and medical conditions can cause weight gain also. No need for generalizations.

Sorry I have to disagree there. I am overweight (or WAS overweight) because of two things: having two kids and being on antidepressants. Now both of these resulted in me gaining weight, because I was eating MORE. There are of course medical conditions that cause people to put on weight, but sometimes the medical conditon or medication INCREASES the persons appetite. The antidepressants didn't make me fat, the extra food I ate because they meds increased my appetite did.

Of course all of this is IMO.
  • dellieve
    dellieve Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm in this boat, and it's nothing to do with wanting attention.

Up until about 3 months ago I was eating 3-5k calories a day, not knowing any better.

When I started trying to eat healthier, and drinking heaps more water I feel full all the time, I feel like i've eaten all day today and literally just made a topic in regards to the same thing this topic is about.

So for some of us it's not about attention, it's about asking for help in how we can fill those calories out.

And to be quite honest, does it really effect you whatsoever? Let the people that have been in the same boat, or that can offer helpful advice, do exactly that.
  • flinchyny
    flinchyny Posts: 106 Member
    Options

I'll never understand this, myself.
  • bazfitness
    bazfitness Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    The issue for me at least boils down to 'not eating junk'. Like another poster said junk food tends to have more calories. I'm genuinely surprised how much good food you are actually meant to be eating.

From my experience. I cut out the majority of the junk food I was eating and have added more healthier foods to try to make up for it, but never seem to be able to get enough. I'm not doing crazy under eating or anything. I'm eating generally between 1800 and 2200 calories a day and it seems to be enough to satisfy me (not saying that makes it enough!), but still for past few weeks have been losing over 2 lbs a week (more than I had planned for) - as I'm getting a decent enough amount of exercise.

If I let myself eat any sort of food whatsoever again yeah it would be no problem to eat my daily calories, but breads, cakes and other processed junk I'm totally avoiding for now and feel a lot better for it. But on the flipside I do want this rate of weight of loss to stop so I'm going to have to make a conscious effort to eat more stuff that packs a lot of calories without being junk.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    the actually answer your question, i dont meet my calories because a) i'm dealing with an ED and b) i eat healthy food that fills me up and keeps me full for longer

my food most days consists of oatmeal, egg whites, lots of veggies, fruit, cheese, fish or sometimes ground beef, almond milk and whole wheat crispbread as well as 1tsp of peanut butter (i have this every day as a "treat") and some brown sugar or honey

that will keep me a lot fuller than sugary cereal, chips, candy, a burger etc.
  • joankpoirier
    joankpoirier Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    all the time..
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Just spend 60 seconds eating peanut butter. 4 spoonfuls...it's like 500 calories. Not hard.

If I am not hungry, I am not going to eat. Period. That is stupid.

And peanut butter is no longer in my house as it is not healthy. I will opt for almond or macadamia nut butter for a snack on a piece of fruit or celery.

I don't really understand how all natural peanut butter is unhealthy.
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    It is the mindset of eating less means losing more...
  • omanitshann
    omanitshann Posts: 179
    Options
    Because when you eat healthier you can eat more because healthy things are less calories. And also I find eating healthy can fill me up for a longer period of time. I should be eating around 2,000 calories a day, but I can only manage around 1,400-1,800 just because i'm not hungry enough to eat more.
  • antihillmoby
    antihillmoby Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I eat 1800 calories a day and I am still hungry!!!!!
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Some people just enjoy food more than other people...something to do with how different people taste things. If you are here to lose weight, and trying to stay away from certain things you think are bad for you, then it's hard to decide what to eat to make up your calories if you are under, especially if you've eaten well all day and aren't hungry.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    the actually answer your question, i dont meet my calories because a) i'm dealing with an ED and b) i eat healthy food that fills me up and keeps me full for longer

my food most days consists of oatmeal, egg whites, lots of veggies, fruit, cheese, fish or sometimes ground beef, almond milk and whole wheat crispbread as well as 1tsp of peanut butter (i have this every day as a "treat") and some brown sugar or honey

Why just the egg whites? What's wrong with the yolks? Such a simple way to add omega-3 fatty acids and protein while increasing calorie count and not increasing volume by much.
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I see some people posting here that they don't eat when they are not hungry....I "PERSONALLY"...please no attacks! I don't wait until I am hungry to eat...I plan my meals for the day...and I try to eat them anywhere between 1.5 hours to 3 hours in between...I eat pretty much all I set out to do...with room to add calories an hour before bed....

my metabolism is on fire when I do that...when I only eat when I am hungry and have one or two big meals with same amount of calories...I look and feel like S...H...I....you get the drift!
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options

Why just the egg whites? What's wrong with the yolks? Such a simple way to add omega-3 fatty acids and protein while increasing calorie count and not increasing volume by much.

refer to "a" and you'll see why. i know it'd be better to eat them but i can't make myself do it.

however, regarding the protein, even when i eat 700 calories a day i always meet my protein goals ;)

2d1pt3a.jpg
  • antihillmoby
    antihillmoby Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    i will say this...

there are days where i eat lots of bulky foods that are low in calories and i feel full. you don't have to eat back each and every calorie that you are allotted for the day (that's just common sense).

i am very active and i could eat more than what i'm supposed to if i'm not careful. i know the difference between being bored and being hungry. i'm realistic with myself and know that my metabolism has upped. if i sat around all day long on my puff pillow reading poetry and sketching flitting birds over the garden, then i'd probably not be as hungry. but i keep my body working hard and it needs loads of food to keep up.

...and as many people as i hear say this "how can you..." it really makes me wonder what you're eating, how you're eating, when you're eating, and what kind of activities you're into.

i LOVE food. i find ways to keep the good and tasty stuff going right into my meals. i really find it difficult to understand how you aren't able to eat them most days.

good post!!
  • iron_jj
    iron_jj Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    It's funny how no one had a problem eating enough/too much before, now suddendly it becomes a problem.

Eating 1800cals+ with a clean diet isn't easy, at least for me, it takes some planning ahead. And if I'm short on cals I eat peanut butter by the spoonful. :P It's all in your head!
  • heylatimer
    heylatimer Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    For me it often boils down to not eating enough earlier in the day and wanting to avoid bad choices at the end of the day. I try to plan my day and forecast what my burn will be and how many calories each meal will be. Sometimes I come up short.

Then... I could reach for a bowl of ice cream and hit my calorie count in 1.5 minutes. But that blows up all my macros and leaves me short on protein but over on fat and sugar.

Also. If I eat all my calories and am still hungry at the end of the day... I am not hungry. I am bored or habit eating... The truth hurts but ignoring it hurts more.