I don't understand........

Options

Replies

• JaySpice
    JaySpice Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    At first I didn't get it at all. But now that I have upped my protein I stay fuller longer and don't want food as often.

Oh! But I'm not a 1200 calorie person.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Not everyone gained weight by gorging themselves all day long. I've never been a big eater, but managed to get 90 pounds overweight. I was depressed and deliberately hurting myself with a diet of Doritos, fast food, alcohol, and soda. When I crawled out of the depression and switched to a healthy diet, I ate at the same frequency and volume as before, but when your food choices aren't 300+ calories per ounce, you simply will not consume nearly as many calories.

And honestly, it's getting hard for me to believe that these "Please explain it to me!" threads are actually genuine questions. They always end up being full of posts mocking people who don't constantly overeat, saying that they're looking for attention, or that they're lying, or that they're just buying into the idea that they shouldn't eat so that they'll lose weight. Some of the suggestions are completely ridiculous. Eat 4 tablespoons of peanut butter in a minute? Pretty sure the resultant vomiting is going to do more harm than good.

Is it really so difficult to understand that some people don't like spending all day cramming food down their throats?
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Not everyone gained weight by gorging themselves all day long. I've never been a big eater, but managed to get 90 pounds overweight. I was depressed and deliberately hurting myself with a diet of Doritos, fast food, alcohol, and soda. When I crawled out of the depression and switched to a healthy diet, I ate at the same frequency and volume as before, but when your food choices aren't 300+ calories per ounce, you simply will not consume nearly as many calories.

And honestly, it's getting hard for me to believe that these "Please explain it to me!" threads are actually genuine questions. They always end up being full of posts mocking people who don't constantly overeat, saying that they're looking for attention, or that they're lying, or that they're just buying into the idea that they shouldn't eat so that they'll lose weight. Some of the suggestions are completely ridiculous. Eat 4 tablespoons of peanut butter in a minute? Pretty sure the resultant vomiting is going to do more harm than good.

Is it really so difficult to understand that some people don't like spending all day cramming food down their throats?

this^^^
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Peanuts are one of the most toxic foods one can eat and it is highly inflammatory. Makes it unhealthy in my book and does not go in my shopping cart or dot the door to my home.

lol. Nuts and berries...nuts and berries
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    My calorie goal is not insanely low (was 1900 which is around my bmr but I just changed my activity level on my goal settings and now it boosted me to a little over 2000!) I still have trouble clearing much over 1700 some days (which for some people on here is a lot). I've started eating much healthier things instead of running to McDonald's when I'm hungry or buying junk food. I eat more food, for less calories, and I'm not as hungry all the time. I try not to fill myself up with empty carbs and calories like I used to just because it tasted good and it was convenient. I'm learning how to eat still and it takes a while to learn how to balance your eating when your eating habits have been out of whack for years. I'm learning to eat when I'm hungry and have a healthy snack instead of doritos or something. If I'm going to hit my calorie target, I want it to be because I put good things in my body not because I ate junk food just to fill a number. But it takes time to learn how to do that without over-doing it.
  • SirBen81
    Options
    Eat 4 tablespoons of peanut butter in a minute? Pretty sure the resultant vomiting is going to do more harm than good.

You can spread those 4 tablespoon throughout the entire day. 1 every two hours if you'd like. That's an extra 500 calories per day, at the cost of about 60 total seconds. If you are allergic to peanut butter this obviously wouldn't be a feasible solution.

If you view your unwanted calorie deficit as a serious problem, then this is an obvious solution.
  • bazfitness
    bazfitness Posts: 275 Member
    Options

It's the first such thread I've got involved in and regretting it. Thought MFP was full of helpful people but am in agreement with you when it comes to this thread, there's some helpful comments from a lot of people but also way too many glib unhelpful one line catch all replies that you can get in shoddy forums elsewhere. None so takes the biscuit though as having a go off someone with an eating disorder, that's an all time low!

I'm certainly not an extreme case as I'm eating around the 2000 calorie mark a day and I fully subscribe to eating a decent amount a day (not like one glib post suggest that we all believe eating less is better - I don't!) but still in the process of finding healthy alternatives to the junk food I used to eat. That's why I'm struggling to hit my calorie goals for the day.

As for the peanut butter solution. I love peanuts and peanut butter, but suffer from RSI and joint problems in my hands, which has got a lot better of late, possibly due to fish oils, found that peanuts did indeed seem to make it worse.
  • SirBen81
    Options
    As for the peanut butter solution. I love peanuts and peanut butter, but suffer from RSI and joint problems in my hands, which has got a lot better of late, possibly due to fish oils, found that peanuts did indeed seem to make it worse.

Well if you have a problem with peanuts specifically then any nut will do fine as well. I myself prefer almonds. I just grind them up in a blender for 10 mins to make my own almond butter, pure of any additives.
  • bazfitness
    bazfitness Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Well if you have a problem with peanuts specifically then any nut will do fine as well. I myself prefer almonds. I just grind them up in a blender for 10 mins to make my own almond butter, pure of any additives.

now that sounds like a plan! Cheers. :happy:
  • TammyBee
    TammyBee Posts: 178
    Options
    I notice that if i don't exercise i have no trouble eating my calories but when exercise is added in i seem to have a harder time. That may have something to do with it. If you do a ton of exercising it is going to be hard to eat all your calories.
  • SirBen81
    Options
    I notice that if i don't exercise i have no trouble eating my calories but when exercise is added in i seem to have a harder time. That may have something to do with it. If you do a ton of exercising it is going to be hard to eat all your calories.

Yes Indeed it can be. Especially unplanned exercise. For instance, last Saturday I had an unplanned event and it caused me to spend nearly 2,000 calories. I didn't try to make up all those calories on the same day, rather I gradually spread it out over the following two days.
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Eat 4 tablespoons of peanut butter in a minute? Pretty sure the resultant vomiting is going to do more harm than good.

You can spread those 4 tablespoon throughout the entire day. 1 every two hours if you'd like. That's an extra 500 calories per day, at the cost of about 60 total seconds. If you are allergic to peanut butter this obviously wouldn't be a feasible solution.

If you view your unwanted calorie deficit as a serious problem, then this is an obvious solution.

Well I couldnt spread it out since after the first tablespoon i would be dead
  • SirBen81
    Options
    Well I couldnt spread it out since after the first tablespoon i would be dead

Right, so as I said...If you're allergic to peanuts, or nuts then this obviously wouldn't be a solution for you.
  • dolldreams
    dolldreams Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Just spend 60 seconds eating peanut butter. 4 spoonfuls...it's like 500 calories. Not hard.

I really kind of hate peanut butter unless it's like a peanut butter flavored granola bar or something.
  • SirBen81
    Options
    I really kind of hate peanut butter unless it's like a peanut butter flavored granola bar or something.

I don't like cough syrup, but I take it anyway when I'm sick. We all do things we don't like for the greater benefit if we feel the need is dire enough.
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options

I don't like cough syrup, but I take it anyway when I'm sick. We all do things we don't like for the greater benefit if we feel the need is dire enough.

I actually I do hate cough syrup and will not takew it when im sick. It never seems to help anyways
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    How people have trouble eating all their calories? Can someone explain?

um, theres this weird thing where sometimes ppl arent hungry.

Never happens to me unfortunately
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    It's something I don't 'get' either. We're all on here because at one point we ate too many calories, so how can people now all of a sudden not eat enough?

It's not a problem I have :laugh: .

Not everyone gains weight from over eating.

Medications and medical conditions can cause weight gain also. No need for generalizations.

Sorry I have to disagree there. I am overweight (or WAS overweight) because of two things: having two kids and being on antidepressants. Now both of these resulted in me gaining weight, because I was eating MORE. There are of course medical conditions that cause people to put on weight, but sometimes the medical conditon or medication INCREASES the persons appetite. The antidepressants didn't make me fat, the extra food I ate because they meds increased my appetite did.

Of course all of this is IMO.

However, someone with Thyroid disorders will and do gain weight without overeating because the metabolism and endocrine system are broken.

Someone with Leptin resistance or high Cortisol will gain weight without overeating. That is why they continuously say stress will make a person stop losing weight for no reason at all. High cortisol levels.

While I agree with some anti-depressants causing weight gain, others can cause weight gain without increasing the appetite.
  • dolldreams
    dolldreams Posts: 245 Member
    Options

Peanut butter compared to cough syrup? Now I hate it even more.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Just spend 60 seconds eating peanut butter. 4 spoonfuls...it's like 500 calories. Not hard.

If I am not hungry, I am not going to eat. Period. That is stupid.

And peanut butter is no longer in my house as it is not healthy. I will opt for almond or macadamia nut butter for a snack on a piece of fruit or celery.

I don't really understand how all natural peanut butter is unhealthy.

peanuts are loaded with omega-6 fats that distort the omega-3 to omega-6 ratio. This ratio 0f Omega-3 to Omega-6 should be 1:1.

All we need to know is that the American diet is typically from 20:1 to 50:1 in favor of omega-6, so any effort to reverse this trend is important for combating over 10 different common diseases including Alzheimer’s, rheumatoid arthritis, and diabetes.

Peanuts are often contaminated with a carcinogenic mold called aflatoxin, and they are also one of the most pesticide-contaminated crops.