I don't understand........

Options

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Peanuts are one of the most toxic foods one can eat and it is highly inflammatory. Makes it unhealthy in my book and does not go in my shopping cart or dot the door to my home.

lol. Nuts and berries...nuts and berries

Berries are not contaminated with mold and you can grow them organically.
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Peanuts are often contaminated with a carcinogenic mold called aflatoxin, and they are also one of the most pesticide-contaminated crops.

What about almonds? Almond butter is a great substitute for peanut butter.
  • SirBen81
    Options
    Peanuts are one of the most toxic foods one can eat and it is highly inflammatory. Makes it unhealthy in my book and does not go in my shopping cart or dot the door to my home.

lol. Nuts and berries...nuts and berries

Berries are not contaminated with mold and you can grow them organically.

That was just a jest. People relied on nuts and berries for thousands of year...as they say.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Some days for me its a mental game. I have all these "shoulds" in my head so its hard to just relax and accept that it really is ok to eat something. Sometimes, too, I'm just not hungry anymore.
  • FunandFitMom
    FunandFitMom Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I use my primary calories (the one that's on your home page), but sometimes do not even come close to consuming the calories burned from exercise. Particularly since when I am getting a great burn from exercise, I crave apples, peppers, and peanut butter instead of chips and salsa! Natural foods are much lower in calories than processed.
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    My daily goal is 2500 calories. If I burn 1000-3000 calories on a big hike I am not likely to eat those back. I try, I really do, but that's a whole lot of food if you are trying to be even remotely healthy.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I really kind of hate peanut butter unless it's like a peanut butter flavored granola bar or something.

I don't like cough syrup, but I take it anyway when I'm sick. We all do things we don't like for the greater benefit if we feel the need is dire enough.

And putting more food into my mouth and body when I am not hungry just because the so called MFP board "experts" say so, doesn't benefit me in any way.

You're right, I do take nasty tasting cough syrups when necessary. Totally different scenario and bad example on your part.

*edit: the calories I sometimes do not meet are burned exercise calories, only a few occasions I didn't make my given MFP calories.
  • iron_jj
    iron_jj Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Is it really so difficult to understand that some people don't like spending all day cramming food down their throats?

700 calories =/= healthy. Matter of fact. Now get over yourself. :flowerforyou:
  • SirBen81
    Options
    And putting more food into my mouth and body when I am not hungry just because the so called MFP board "experts" say so, doesn't benefit me in any way.

If you don't believe what the MFP boards are telling you is what's best for you, then you wouldn't be trying to achieve the goals they set for you, and you wouldn't be posting threads asking how to meet said goals.
  • 81Katz
    Options

If you don't believe what the MFP boards are telling you is what's best for you, then you wouldn't be trying to achieve the goals they set for you, and you wouldn't be posting threads asking how to meet said goals.

I mean all the other people who post here and think they're "experts" because they have mastered the fine art of googling. :)
  • SirBen81
    Options
    I would say they are an expert at Googling.
  • 81Katz
    Options
    And that's probably about all they are an expert at. I could google and dig up 20 studies that suit my ideals and opinions. Wouldn't make them fact because for every 20 I find, someone else could find 20 more than contradict my theory.
  • BlackLabLover
    BlackLabLover Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the comments that healthy foods don't have a lot of calories. Mnay beans and nuts are calorie-dense. Avacados too... for those of us who do not eat a lot of red meat, beans and legumes are important protein sources.
  • SallyGal4
    SallyGal4 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    For many people who are overweight and got that way because of bad food choices, the change to a healthy eating style is difficult. I don't see how that's so hard to understand.

Before I could easily stuff down 3000-5000 calories a day eating only once or twice a day. Now, I know I need to eat throughout the day. I need to eat healthier foods too. I cannot eat whatever I want because I am not yet capable of eating junk in moderation. I try to fill up on healthy meals and snacks, but when I reach the limit of certain items, like carbs or fats or sodium, I find it hard to fill the rest of my calories. I certainly won't reach for junk food to do so.

It's an incredibly difficult mental and physical challenge to completely change ones life. Of all places, you think people on a diet and fitness website would get it and not judge. But, it just shows there are a-holes everywhere.
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Giving up dairy has opened up alot more calories for me lately. I never thought I would have trouble eating them all but I am. I am eating more carbs now, not having dairy in my life SUCKs, but its something I have to do for a health problem.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I find that it's easy to go quite a bit over or under my calories, but being right on target requires a bit more finesse in planning my meals and snacks. Most of the time when I wind up within 50 calories of my goal, it's a complete accident.

I don't just eat a bunch of extra crap in the late evening if I find I'm a bit under on a particular day. I screw up on enough other days that it probably balances out.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Is it really so difficult to understand that some people don't like spending all day cramming food down their throats?

700 calories =/= healthy. Matter of fact. Now get over yourself. :flowerforyou:
    I never said it was, and I have no idea what that snotty "get over yourself" comment has to do with anything I've said.

I was responding to the people saying that they cannot possibly comprehend how other people manage not to eat all the calories they're supposed to, often with the reasoning that, "I'm hungry all the time, I can't NOT eat that much!" Their answer is just to keep eating, have this, have that, it's so damn easy to eat that much (and my favorite, "If you're fat, then you must not really have a hard time with it"). The reason that's a non-answer is that not everyone is like that. Not everyone is happy to eat and eat and eat just because they need to hit a certain number. Acting like it's not even a problem is dismissive and unfair.
  • SirBen81
    Options
    And that's probably about all they are an expert at. I could google and dig up 20 studies that suit my ideals and opinions. Wouldn't make them fact because for every 20 I find, someone else could find 20 more than contradict my theory.

I am an expert at self experimentation. I use studies as a guide here and there just make sure I don't ingest something that has the toxicity of battery acid. But I am rarely swayed by studies/articles that warn me not to eat something.
  • 81Katz
    Options
    I do not think some people understand that getting healthy and adapting to what will be a permanent healthy life style change, is as much mental as it is physical.

In that case, maybe it's not for them to understand, and that's ok.
    *I am not looking to judge anyone here, but my way is no more right or wrong than your way and vice versa.
  • pduckworth
    pduckworth Posts: 133
    Options
    I gained weight because I used to bored eat like crazy... and I bored ate terrible foods. Cupcakes, cookies, potato chips, and rarely ever ate anything healthy. Now that I only eat when I'm hungry, I'm eating significantly less! I'm not going to force myself to eat just to make a number. If I'm hungry, I eat. If I'm not, I don't.

Edit/ I also used to have a terrible problem with liquid calories. I would easily drink a full 2 liters of Mountain Dew a day along with other sodas and energy drinks. I cut all of that out.