I don't understand........

Options

Replies

• grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    great post grimm1974, should clarify to those who genuinely want to know the reasons why people who were formerly overweight now struggle with actually eating enough.

Yes, thank you for your post. I guess my issue here is that it seems like we go from one pattern of disordered eating to another. Where is the balance?

Think of it this way. You are on standing on one end of a teeter-totter. You quickly try to run to the other end to balance it out, but you tend to overshoot the middle. So, it takes awhile to find that balance where you sit steadily in the middle. That is where a lot of people here are trying to do. Some have found that balance. Some keep running back and forth from end to end. If you keep running back and forth too much, you get tired and you eventually stop and your teeter-totter hits the ground again. If you find that balance, you can stay there with little effort.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    great post grimm1974, should clarify to those who genuinely want to know the reasons why people who were formerly overweight now struggle with actually eating enough.

Yes, thank you for your post. I guess my issue here is that it seems like we go from one pattern of disordered eating to another. Where is the balance?
    I don't think that people who say they eat below their calories are necessarily exhibiting disordered eating. They can't meet a number that's been thrown at them as a critical standard, but that number is largely variable and even arbitrary. Someone could have a very healthy diet and lifestyle and be in excellent health but not hit that number. If they believe that they're going to gain weight or wreck their bodies simply by not hitting that number (as a lot of people will tell them), they're going to think they're doing something wrong.
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Right and I don't necessarily think that either, but it seems like the posts of these people suggest "a fear of eating too much or too little". In my eyes that constitutes an unhealthy relationship with food and tends to suggest disordered eating. I'm not saying that these people have an eating disorder. There is a difference. I know that when I was at my heaviest I had an issue with disordered eating. I would eat a lot at one meal and then overcompensate for it at another meal; it's more than just hitting a calorie goal. It has to do with the fear of food. I see a lot of these posts as fear of what food might do to my body because I know what it did to it before.

I don't think that people who say they eat below their calories are necessarily exhibiting disordered eating. They can't meet a number that's been thrown at them as a critical standard, but that number is largely variable and even arbitrary. Someone could have a very healthy diet and lifestyle and be in excellent health but not hit that number. If they believe that they're going to gain weight or wreck their bodies simply by not hitting that number (as a lot of people will tell them), they're going to think they're doing something wrong.
  • iuangina
    Options
    I like the analogy. Thanks for that!

Think of it this way. You are on standing on one end of a teeter-totter. You quickly try to run to the other end to balance it out, but you tend to overshoot the middle. So, it takes awhile to find that balance where you sit steadily in the middle. That is where a lot of people here are trying to do. Some have found that balance. Some keep running back and forth from end to end. If you keep running back and forth too much, you get tired and you eventually stop and your teeter-totter hits the ground again. If you find that balance, you can stay there with little effort.
  • tryinghard71
    tryinghard71 Posts: 593
    Options
    Those people cut who out all the processed foods and eat only the really healthy stuff, tend to have a diet that have barely any calories.

Due to my love of chocolate and sweets, I never have that problem.

I agree 100%. When I went to one ingredient foods like Chicken, Eggs, Lettuce, Fruit, Veggies, etc... I find I actually get to eat more by cutting out processed foods. But when I do need to consume my work out calories I usually have zero problem doing this. Because instead of eating them I drink them. Mich Ultra is my reward. LOL!
  • hula808
    hula808 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Ooooo...I can eat them ; )

Ususally what happens though is I run out of "day"
    If I am busy at work or running around for the kids and dont get home until late, I just dont think its wise to try and get 700 calories in right before I go to bed. And I usually dont have the energy to be bothered to cook anything.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    orlly? Source?

Peanuts are one of the most toxic foods one can eat and it is highly inflammatory. Makes it unhealthy in my book and does not go in my shopping cart or dot the door to my home.
    [/quote]

Peanuts are toxic to those allergic to it....

in regards to your higly inflammatory..

Peanut butter provides 4.5 g polyunsaturated fats per serving that may also lower your inflammation, according to the Linus Pauling Institute Micronutrient Information Center
    [/quote]

I posted about the high Omega 6 in peanuts, not healthy.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Right and I don't necessarily think that either, but it seems like the posts of these people suggest "a fear of eating too much or too little". In my eyes that constitutes an unhealthy relationship with food and tends to suggest disordered eating. I'm not saying that these people have an eating disorder. There is a difference. I know that when I was at my heaviest I had an issue with disordered eating. I would eat a lot at one meal and then overcompensate for it at another meal; it's more than just hitting a calorie goal. It has to do with the fear of food. I see a lot of these posts as fear of what food might do to my body because I know what it did to it before.
    That concern does make sense, and I'm glad that you're so considerate of others to think of it (a lot of people wouldn't). I suppose the difference I see is that the fear of food is not innate or even internal, but comes from being told repeatedly that there are right and wrong ways to eat. The person might have a perfectly healthy relationship with food on their own, but be uneducated; if in the course of learning, they're told that some foods are bad or some eating schedules are dangerous or any other variety of scare-based weight loss advice, that's where the fear comes in. It might eventually result in disordered eating, but it seems like the very advice meant to curb that is actually causing it.
  • chapparra27
    chapparra27 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Can I ask a question.....am I supposed to eat back my exercise calories?
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options

Depends on what you're trying to do. Lose weight, bulk up, or maintain...
  • PandeMommium
    Options
    For me it is a time issue, it has been that way since I had my twins. My life is crazy and hectic. I have 2 year old twins and a 3 year old. After I had the twins, I was so crazed and when I would eat I would put whatever I could find in my mouth when I had a free minute. I made bad choices all the time, and gained a ton of weight. I still do not have a lot of time for food prep, but I have replaced the junk in the house with all good choices, so because I am still in a time crunch when it comes to finding time to eat I do not get enough calories somedays, it is hard for some of us.
  • chapparra27
    Options
    I am trying to lose. The first week I began using MFP I lost 3 pounds. I haven't lost any since, it has been 2 weeks. I work out 6-7 days a week. A total of 8-9 workouts, 3 of which are weights. I am just not sure if I am eating too little or too much, or working out too much.
  • chapparra27
    Options

Depends on what you're trying to do. Lose weight, bulk up, or maintain...

I am trying to lose weight. I work out 6-7 days a week, 3 of which are weight lifting. I lost 3 pounds the first week I began using MFP but I haven't lost anything in the past 2. I eat as healthy as I know how and I drink 5-6 liters of water a day. I don't know if I am eating too much too little or working out too much or too little. Any advice?
  • SirBen81
    Options
    I am trying to lose. The first week I began using MFP I lost 3 pounds. I haven't lost any since, it has been 2 weeks. I work out 6-7 days a week. A total of 8-9 workouts, 3 of which are weights. I am just not sure if I am eating too little or too much, or working out too much.

Don't expect to lose the same amount you lost your first week for every week after. But in terms of general weight loss diet advice, I'm sure there's plenty of people on this site who would be happy to offer their advice to you if you create a post asking for it. Just remember to make your Food Diary public, so they can see what you're eating.
  • iuangina
    Options
    Everything I read on Livestrong.com is true! Come up with a real source next time.
    orlly? Source?

Peanuts are one of the most toxic foods one can eat and it is highly inflammatory. Makes it unhealthy in my book and does not go in my shopping cart or dot the door to my home.

Peanut butter provides 4.5 g polyunsaturated fats per serving that may also lower your inflammation, according to the Linus Pauling Institute Micronutrient Information Center
    [/quote]

[/quote]
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    Everything I read on Livestrong.com is true! Come up with a real source next time.
    orlly? Source?

[/quote]
    [/quote]

I didn't read anything on Livestrong.

I happened to learn this in a holistic Nutrition class. I am certified as a Holistic Nutrition Educator, thank you very much. I teach classes in my local area also.

Do some research on how the Omega 3 to Omega 6 ratio should be and where Americans generally lie in that, way off.

Peanut butter is one thing that many Americans eat a LOT of and it is throwing off the ratio, not to mention the mold.
  • SirBen81
    Options
    As someone who has been eating peanut butter for their entire life, often in mass quantities, I do not feel unhealthy. I have never been told that I am unhealthy by a Dr or trainer. So I don't buy into this peanut butter is bad for you because of omega fats and mold.
  • iuangina
    Options
    That's funny because I saw word for word what you posted earlier on livestrong when I searched on google what you posted.
    orlly? Source?

[/quote]

I didn't read anything on Livestrong.

I happened to learn this in a holistic Nutrition class. I am certified as a Holistic Nutrition Educator, thank you very much. I teach classes in my local area also.

Do some research on how the Omega 3 to Omega 6 ratio should be and where Americans generally lie in that, way off.

Peanut butter is one thing that many Americans eat a LOT of and it is throwing off the ratio, not to mention the mold.
    [/quote]
  • kaylz0106
    kaylz0106 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    On occassion maybe but on other occassions you are helping someone by parting with your wisdom on the matter. Before I started MFP I ate what I thought to be excess amount of foods, however, the second I started tracking my calories, turned out I rarely went over 1000 calories.

Thanks to the guidance of a few MFP users I now know how to eat the correct amount of calories, which may sound stupid to some people but true. I now eat roughly 1500 calories a day and could probably go over most days but it has taken me around 4 months to be able to get to eating the right amount it's not as easy as you seem to think it is!

Timing is everything i.e. for a single person who can sit down and plan what and when to eat hitting said target is easy but for some like me who has two children a full time job and a home to run finding a spare hour once a week to work all that out isn't an easy task and even if I do find that hour once in a blue moon I would say 75% of the time life gets in the way and I find myself sitting at 8pm wondering how on earth I'm goign to fit the rest of my calories in without being sick or up all night becuase my tummy is too full.

You should really take a lot more into consideration before you pass judgement!
    Attempts at guidance lead to excuses about why it can't be done......

Here's my problem and the reason for the original post: people post about not meeting their calories and then they want to make excuses about it. I don't really care what your reason for not hitting your calories may or may not be, but if you don't want to take the advice and don't want to do something about it....why post asking for help?

I don't attempt to eat back all of my exercise calories. It's impossible most of the time for me to do that because of the intensity of my workouts, but I also don't sit here on MFP and complain about not losing weight because I lose weight (at about 2 - 3 lbs per week). I know the balance that I have to strike between food being fuel for my workouts and my daily activities and hitting my calories. If I attempted to eat only 1200 calories, I would die. If I eat more that 1800 calories I feel sick. There's a balance and everyone has to find that for themselves.

As I said people generally post for guidance so instead of posting about how you can't grasp what they are on about guide them to a better understanding!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    As someone who has been eating peanut butter for their entire life, often in mass quantities, I do not feel unhealthy. I have never been told that I am unhealthy by a Dr or trainer. So I don't buy into this peanut butter is bad for you because of omega fats and mold.

Have you taken any classes on the long term effects of the Omega 3 to Omega 6 imbalance and what it causes?

Why do you think it is suggested to eat fatty, oily fish several times a week or to take a good fish oil supplement?

Here is a study that speaks on this imbalance.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12442909
    Excessive amounts of omega-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) and a very high omega-6/omega-3 ratio, as is found in today's Western diets, promote the pathogenesis of many diseases, including cardiovascular disease, cancer, and inflammatory and autoimmune diseases, whereas increased levels of omega-3 PUFA (a low omega-6/omega-3 ratio) exert suppressive effects.