Do you carry protection when running?

Options

Replies

• lovinbeinold
    lovinbeinold Posts: 116
    Options
    And one other thing. I used to take my big, ugly, black chow chow dog with me. He had a solid black tongue too. He did protect me well, and defended me in a laundromat at night one time, back in the '60's. A good, loyal dog, big enough to take care of business is a great protection against human beings. But I'd have some kind of spray with me too if I was out where there were mountain lions.
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I carry a Colt Combat Commander lightweight in a fanny pack along with an extra magazine. All loaded with Wilson Combat 230 gr XTP ammo.

The gun is not my first option as I am proficient in krav maga.

My basic strategy is:
    1- outrun it and get away
    2- failing 1 then go to hand to hand
    3- if I feel option 2 is not viable for any number of reasons then its time for the pistol

I believe in escalation of force.

Love this answer!
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Oh and to answer the question...maybe I do and maybe I dont...I am not going to tell someone if I do or not. I would rather it be a surprise. You never know what kind of people are out there or on here for that matter.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I carry my keys, which has mace on it. So yeah!
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    What is your issue, exactly, with where I would consider dangerous enough to want to carry something to defend myself? I'm confused about why people seem to have taken offence to me saying that?

I'm not saying 'everyone's in daily peril'. I'm saying the risks, though relatively minimal in some areas, would be high enough for me to think about carrying a defensive form of protection.

I am not a two-year-old child who stereotypes or blindly believes what she sees on TV, so I'm struggling to see why people are using that as an 'argument' for why I should feel safe if I lived in the US and went running?

I too am trying to figure out why this is an issue.
  • KendleX
    KendleX Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Springfield XD 40 Sub compact or a Walter PPQ 9. I tend to use the Springfield more though.

For leasure inactive times, I use a KingTuk Inner waistband holster. I wouldn't use it for running since there isn't a back strap. If I was to run I would either use a fanny pack (but those jump around) or a outer waist band (like Galco) with a button back strap.

My wife uses a Berreta Tomcat 32. She has a waistband holster that seems to not jump around like a fanny pack does.
  • eletelephant
    Options
    Usually I run in a park where animals are on leashes (and this park so happens to be next to the city animal shelter). As far as people go, I am currently training in martial arts but try to run at parks where there are no secluded areas, with people around, and in the daylight. If I want to go to other trails, then I'd go with a friend. I would consider pepper spray if I was running or biking in areas with loose dogs around, but I just avoid those areas because I don't want to carry more than I have to. One time I did have a dog that concerned me when I was on my bike, but was able to get away. My biggest concern is crazy drivers running me over. :P
  • futuremalestripper
    futuremalestripper Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I just don't shower.
    It keeps them all away.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Note to self...don't **** with runners in the USA lol

This^^^ I forgot to mention in my earlier post. I wear only 1 earbud when walking outside, and keep it low. The last time I carried concealed weapon regularly was when I lived and worked in a big city. After spending 20 years in the city walking all over, I have at least some street smarts and trust my instincts. And, I have carried a knife my whole life. Never needed to protect myself with it, but dang, it is almost always coming in handy for one thing or another. LOL
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Springfield XD 40 Sub compact or a Walter PPQ 9. I tend to use the Springfield more though.

For leasure inactive times, I use a KingTuk Inner waistband holster. I wouldn't use it for running since there isn't a back strap. If I was to run I would either use a fanny pack (but those jump around) or a outer waist band (like Galco) with a button back strap.

My wife uses a Berreta Tomcat 32. She has a waistband holster that seems to not jump around like a fanny pack does.

That's correct babe...doesn't jump around at all actually! A-Mazing Holster! And a bonus....totally sucks in your tum rolls!
  • connorsludge
    connorsludge Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Very timely topic. I've been running in my neighborhood at night for years. It is a safe neighborhood in a very safe town. Two years ago I was attacked by a man who made it very clear that he would hurt me if able. I did not have any kind of protection on me (I hadn't ever thought it necessary) and was saved only because a car passed by.

Since then I've always carried pepper spray while running. On Sunday I was approached a second time while running on a busy, well-lit street (I also changed my route as a result of the first attack). I asked him to leave me alone several times (he was on a bicycle) and when he did not listen, I notified him that I was armed and he should leave before he was incapacitated.

It worked! Lesson learned: even very safe places can be dangerous. All it takes is one person to hurt you.

Ed: I'd also like to let everyone know that I don't consider myself as living in fear. I consider myself a little wiser for having ventured out in the world. The conventional wisdom is that women shouldn't run alone, especially at night. But I get fit so that I can be independent, connected to nature, and confident in myself. I've tried running in the gym and it depresses me. I don't have a running partner despite my efforts. Most of all, I don't think that I should be confined to treadmill runs, watching Oprah and reading a magazine while I run just because I am a woman. I'm resigned to the very occasional harassment involved with running and don't mind taking action to prevent harm to myself. So there. :P
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I used to carry pepper spray when I lived in another neighborhood. You MUST be downwind to use it. It is easy to spray yourself.
    With less aggressive dogs all you need is a squirt gun with vinegar or lemon juice.
  • idahopacker
    idahopacker Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Most of the time I conceal a Ruger LCP .380 pistol. On outdoor adventures I also pack either a Springfield Armory XDM .40 S&W pistol or Taurus .41 magnum revolver.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Given that your stated fear of the US is on our lax gun laws and wild animals, and that you also stated that you meant that the entire country is more dangerous than some of the safer parts of the UK, it's kind of hard to read it any other way than "I've seen on the TV that the US has wolves and cougers and bears, so that must be how the entire country is and everyone's in daily peril for their lives for one reason or another." The John Wayne reference was in regard to the fact that the media likes to misrepresent a lot of things and that people (yes, even other Americans) seem to think that such fiction is actually what the more gun-toting areas are like. Ironically, one of the country's most dangerous cities (DC) is a gun-free zone.

What is your issue, exactly, with where I would consider dangerous enough to want to carry something to defend myself? I'm confused about why people seem to have taken offence to me saying that?

I'm not saying 'everyone's in daily peril'. I'm saying the risks, though relatively minimal in some areas, would be high enough for me to think about carrying a defensive form of protection.

I am not a two-year-old child who stereotypes or blindly believes what she sees on TV, so I'm struggling to see why people are using that as an 'argument' for why I should feel safe if I lived in the US and went running?

My responses may have come off a little more harsh than intended, and for that I apologize, but I still find your responses more than a little...odd, for lack of a better word right now.

You are stereotyping the entire country. You didn't say that you'd consider more protection if you were in a more dangerous area, you specifically said that you "would undoubtedly carry something purely defensive" if you were in the US or some of the sketchier parts of the UK, and the US specifically because of our "lax gun laws and wild animals", meaning that you equated the entire US basically to the ghettos of London (or worse, maybe, because we allow guns!) or the African Serengeti. Your statements have made no concession to the fact that a) the entire country isn't like that (and hell, most of country isn't like that), and b) that many/most of our towns and cities are at least as safe as your equivalent cities and towns. You had to get that impression from somewhere, and most people get it from the media. If that's not where you got that impression, then I'm geniunely curious as to where you did, because it's so far from the truth that it's kind of sad (yes, we have large animals that you don't have, but unless you run around with meat strapped to you and are upwind of a den, the odds of running across one in the vast majority of the country are extraordinarily small).
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I choose not to carry my 9mm due to the fact I usually have my 2 large dogs with me. 1 is a blue pitt weighing in at 88 lbs and the other Italian Mastiff that weighs in at 148 lbs. Neither will allow anyone to approach me without the signal. Being a former cop, I do have the option to carry my gun, just decided as of yet not necessary..
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    If I'm running the country roads or woods around my home I carry a Ruger LC9. Very compact, very light, easy to pack in a pocket or holster for running. I carry this due to wild animals, dogs, and crazy meth heads. I have a CCW permit.

When I run around town, park, etc I don't carry a concealed firearm. No need, its safe in my town.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    You are stereotyping the entire country. You didn't say that you'd consider more protection if you were in a more dangerous area, you specifically said that you "would undoubtedly carry something purely defensive" if you were in the US or some of the sketchier parts of the UK, and the US specifically because of our "lax gun laws and wild animals", meaning that you equated the entire US basically to the ghettos of London (or worse, maybe, because we allow guns!) or the African Serengeti. Your statements have made no concession to the fact that a) the entire country isn't like that (and hell, most of country isn't like that), and b) that many/most of our towns and cities are at least as safe as your equivalent cities and towns. You had to get that impression from somewhere, and most people get it from the media. If that's not where you got that impression, then I'm geniunely curious as to where you did, because it's so far from the truth that it's kind of sad (yes, we have large animals that you don't have, but unless you run around with meat strapped to you and are upwind of a den, the odds of running across one in the vast majority of the country are extraordinarily small).

So you're telling me that it's NOT legal to carry firearms or weapons of some description in all states? If that's the case, I take back what I said.

I also believe I HAVE said that many/most of your towns or cities are at least as safe as our equivalent towns or cities. Or at least, not said otherwise. The fact is, if I believe there's a higher than absolute minimal chance of someone carrying a weapon, whether that's in a UK town or in the US, I would want to carry something to defend myself.

In most parts of the UK, that is the case. In my neighbourhood, I would say not. In the US, again, I would consider it the case because it is legal for people to carry weapons. In fact, even in this thread it's clear that many people do. And I should clarify that I am FULLY AWARE that this thread is a tiny representation.

Likewise, I'm not saying that the risk of being attacked by a wild animal is insanely high in the US, but again it is higher than running around in the neighbourhood I currently live in. If wolves, lions and the like suddenly began appearing in the vicinity of my neighbourhood, I would again reconsider my decision to go out unprotected.
  • FrostyBev
    FrostyBev Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I almost always have my .32 or my .45 on me. Better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it. It doesn't matter if I'm on a mountain trail, running around the neighborhood, running with a friend in a bigger city or just headed to dinner.

After having worked in law enforcement for many years I found that "Murphy" is a ***** that springs up in surprise all the time. I don't carry out of fear, I carry out of being prepared. Many years ago I took an oath to protect those that can't or won't protect themselves and I live by that oath today.

Protection can be provided easier when armed.
  • ChickieDoodle
    Options
    I carry pepper spray and a gloc 27. I tried and hated the fanny pack then found this and love it: http://www.pistolwear.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=ia1321496070781
    I don't live in fear, I live in reality and realistically, if the bad guy has a gun and all I have is pepper spray them I'm in bad shape. There are also wild boars here and pepper spray is not going to stop them.
    I have a conceal and carry permit and my husband and I practice shooting and drills from an attacked position. There are some MMA moves you can learn that don't require strength but, mechanics to get you out of being pinned. If you've ever been attacked, you know it can happen very quickly. I also run with a partner when I can.
  • Chris_acc_can
    Options
    Hmmm... I guess I'm thankful I don't live in the USA. Being Canadian I don't understand the need to carry a weapon at all, unless your intentions are bad to begin with. I also live in a urban area so there is no wildlife to fear. I have never seen a gun, other than in a holster for a cop and mase is illegal to purchase (although I have seen it once in 27 years)

I just fail to see the positive that can come from carrying a weapon. What if you can't draw your weapon quick enough, what if you miss your target, what if your target jumps you from behind, whiat if you are attacked by multiple indviduals, what if you target is able to unarm you and use the weapon against you, etc...

Animal generally don't attack unless provoked and most are smart enough to attack prey from a vulnerable position (IE: from the side or back), rendering you concealed weapon useless.

There are way too many negative outcomes to suggest carrying a concealed weapon is safe. I just think choosing a safer place to run will always be safer than the false sense of security a weapon can offer.