Do you carry protection when running?

Options
5ladybugs
5ladybugs Posts: 135 Member
Another thread got me thinking. Do you carry anything when you go running to protect yourself?
I actually just ordered 2 small (4"x1") dog sprays, basically pepper spray. We live in a small town so I'm not worried about a man attacking. However we have cougars here and I'm terrified of them.

Replies

• frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Always bring a condom! LOL. Actually, I run with my (big) dogs, so they are my protection!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    However we have cougars here and I'm terrified of them.

that made me LOL! I guess cougars are more popular with young men :)
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't mind a cougar attacking me, as long as she was hot.
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Always bring a condom! LOL.

I was gonna say that! :wink:
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    condoms and guns!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    woo hoo!
  • Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't mind a cougar attacking me, as long as she was hot.

LOL

I carry mace with me with we walk/jog. :)
  • TheLakeBeast
    Options
    at 6'1 280 pounds...I am my own protection. #jualready
  • suttercm
    suttercm Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I take my dog with me, but have considered getting some pepper spray too.
  • brybre0413
    brybre0413 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    lions and tigers and Cougars oh my!
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    However we have cougars here and I'm terrified of them.

Always use protection with a cougar.
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    no but I want to. I am afraid of neighborhood dogs period.. also worried about bee stings LOL... guess I am a weirdo
  • brittdaw32
    brittdaw32 Posts: 14
    Options
    I too run with my dog. I don't have cougars where I live but we do have lots of coyotes. I recall I was running from my tractor back to my truck in the middle of the night, (we are farmers and I was raking hay) and there were tons of coyotes getting the mice and gophers under the hay. I was so scared that I would be mistaken as a treat that I belted out every random song on the way to my truck! It most certainly wasn't pretty, but it worked! :)
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I'm ordering bear mace. After talking with a few people, it is apparently the mother of all maces. There was an attempted rape on the trail I run on last week. Luckily, the girl got away.
  • RandomMiranda
    RandomMiranda Posts: 298
    Options
    No, but my fiance really wishes I would when I run a particular trail. I've never had any problems, but it's probably not a bad idea.
  • w_i_n_d_y
    w_i_n_d_y Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    at 6'1 280 pounds...I am my own protection. #jualready

^Can I take him running with me?
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I got stopped by some unsavoury types once, and pretended to be a COMPLETE and UTTER psychopath...it scared the living bejeeezus out of them. I am looking forward to doing that again, but equally, hope I never have to.
  • ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I am my own protection.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Right now I just carry my cell phone & key. It's probably something I should start thinking about. I think I'm going to look into it.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    There are regular attacks/sexual assaults on running women in my city. It's soooooo disturbing.

Still, I don't carry protection. I run during the day normally. I also don't listen to music so loud that I'm completely unaware of my surroundings. I also trained in martial arts for almost five years, so I have that knowledge with me where ever I go.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Nope. Live in one of the nicer neighbourhoods in the UK so I feel completely safe...and we have no terrifying wild animals. Don't see this guy eating me:

hedgehog.jpg

If I lived in the US, or any of the rougher parts of the UK, I'd undoubtedly carry something that was purely defensive.