Do you carry protection when running?

Options

Replies

• Pururin
    Pururin Posts: 16
    Options
    I don't but I should. I have a fishing knife I've considered bringing along, but I think I'm going to purchse some dog mace or something. I live in the middle of nowhere but the community is pretty close-knit. I always walk and jog during daylight hours, and the only thing I'm really afraid of around here is that sometimes people's large dogs get out and wander around. Other than that, I wear noticable clothing because my only other fear is getting picked off by a passing car since there are no sidewalks where I live and the roads are all windy and hilly and shady (lots of trees).
    If he's home when I go out, I also always tell my fiance where I'm going and give him a time limit as to when I should be back by.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    For whoever asked, a really good place to get mace/pepper spray is the camping store, but they probably carry it at Walmart now too.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    If I lived in the US, or any of the rougher parts of the UK, I'd undoubtedly carry something that was purely defensive.
    Question: do you think that the entire US is dangerous?

Yeah this comment had me scratching my head. I was born and raised in South Africa, have lived all over the US, in London and Berlin, and now live in a major US city, and I have to say, I felt more unsafe in London, Berlin and my homeland combined than I've ever felt here.
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I carry my cellphone and ipod but I guess that won't stop an attacker. For that I have my boomingly loud voice and over active will to survive. (plus kickboxing and self defense training might help). Otherwise, I guess I'll have to throw my phone and ipod at them. (although I wouldn't want to lose all those songs I've downloaded.)

Perhaps I'll have to look into something. My only fear is that an attacker can turn around and use your own weapon on you!
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I've never thought about it because 1) I don't run outside much - and bad programming on TV is the only danger in my basement, and 2) the areas where I do run outside are pretty populated with people/cars so I feel very safe, and 3) the largest wild animal I may run into in a skunk - and I'd rather pepper spray myself than get sprayed by him, and 4) I'm too much of a b!tch if I get interrupted mid-run.

I did have a large male Boxer run at me once when I was running around my mom's neighborhood (not my usual area) and he was growling and had his hair up. I stopped running held up my hands and yelled NO several times and walked a wide circle around him. I continued to back way from him until I got around a bend in the road and he couldn't see me anymore.

Frickin' people letting their pets run loose.
  • kbtooke
    kbtooke Posts: 21
    Options
    you can even carry a gun but if you're not used to surprises then you will fail even with that
    i'd suggest taking up boxing or MMA

^^ There is nothing as good as taking a martial arts class. Really.

I can't believe people run with guns!!!! It just seems like a bad idea to me. It just makes me want to scream:

NEGLIGENT DISCHARGE HAPPENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Of course it happens, but I also don't run with my finger on the trigger which is the only way a gun is going to discharge.

Besides, I don't think running around my neighborhood with an AR-15 is a good idea :) What will the neighbors think????

I couldnt leave this one alone...if you ran through my neighborhood carrying an AR-15, I'd quickly try to become your best friend!!!
    lol agreed
  • buckystars
    buckystars Posts: 129 Member
    Options

If I lived in the US, or any of the rougher parts of the UK, I'd undoubtedly carry something that was purely defensive.

I love that you assume all of the US is rough. We're not all cowboys and gangsters here. lol
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I am considering bringing pepper spray or mace with me as I venture further from home! Where can you go to buy this stuff, besides online??? Do you think Walmart or Target has it?

I bought mine at ****'s Sporting Goods
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I am considering bringing pepper spray or mace with me as I venture further from home! Where can you go to buy this stuff, besides online??? Do you think Walmart or Target has it?

I bought mine at ****'s Sporting Goods

lol at that being censored.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    How many of you who carry protection (especially of the lethal variety) run with headphones in?

BE HONEST. I never see runners without headphones.

It'd seriously suck to get ambushed and be the victim of your own weaponry.

:huh:
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    For those running or walkingin the uk a small can of deodorant can work wonders if sprayed into an attackers eyes. You are not allowed to carry weapons but you are allowed to use and everyday item to protect yourselves ( no bricks in the hand bag) . My sis was told this by a police man)

When I'm out walking ( not up to running yet) I take our dog.
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I've only been attacked while running or walking a few times. the dogs get the hint when I speed up to get more momentum for the kick and run away. the stupid gang bangers, well they didn't get my money. They did get a trip to the ER and I got their baseball bat, I let them keep the knife though ;p

I should probably get some mace so I don't get in trouble though.
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Small but sharp knife, when walking when my kids are with me I take the tazer.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Tons of posts about carrying mace and 1 advocate of carrying a gun.

Why not try running in a safer area or indoors?? My treadmill is pretty safe, the only thing I have to worry about is if someone who hasn't showered in weeks and is wearing a cut off (exposing armpits) jumps on the machine beside me.

I think prevention is better than protection. After all mace is only effective if used properly (assuming you even have the opportunity to use it).

Maybe I'm too logical...

My neighborhood is very safe however I really don't want to be startled by a bear or some other wild animal who could possibly charge at me and attack me with no way of scaring it off.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    How many of you who carry protection (especially of the lethal variety) run with headphones in?

BE HONEST. I never see runners without headphones.

It'd seriously suck to get ambushed and be the victim of your own weaponry.

:huh:

I don't run with headphones. I have yet to find a really good pair that don't fall out as I run and since I haven't run with them in ages I'm pretty used to it.
  • volvol16
    volvol16 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Yes, I always run with my cell phone and most of the time I run with my mace. I run with my phone because it has all my music on it and Map My Run app, but also if I get in a jam or need anything I can call someone.

I began running with mace when I was at a park once and 2 different men gave me an eerie feeling. I have always been one to trust my gut so I made sure to keep my distance. When I mentioned it to my BF, he got me mace the next day... and he always gives me trouble when I don't use it.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I never run alone.
  • shadow3829
    shadow3829 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Always! Belly band with my M&P9C for the win! Also carry an extremely sharp folding knife. I do have to say though I am happy to see so many women (and men) carrying. It is better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

My .38 always!
  • volvol16
    volvol16 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Have you tried yurbuds?
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I thought I'd tell you what I do: I am a dog walker/biolgist, so I've had encounters with both attacking dogs and bears!
    If it's a dog, yell at it to "stop" and keep yelling this, it should at least slow down and then realize YOU ARE IN CHARGE! For example, I had a dog run at me last week while I was walking a client's dog, and I yelled" stop! stop! stop! stop!" and then it got the idea. For mountain lions, that is hard one as you won't hear them. Just realize that very few people have every seen one, and that odds are very against seeing one. If you do, act as big as you can, don't turn around and don't run! BAck away slowly with your hands over your head.

One of my crew members had a lion that was behind her, literally 8 feet away, she turned around and saw it. She had no clue it was there. She put up her hands over her head, and it turned around and walked away.

I know what you mean about being scared, I would go in the mountains by myself and was often scared of being attacked by a lion! But that's really really really rare.

Makes me wonder what the cougar thinks... "Dang! I don't want to eat that! It's got it's hands over it's head! It must be stupid! That could be contagious! No way I'm eatin' that now!" LOL