Do you carry protection when running?

Options

Replies

• Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    I carry my fist with me when I go running. I call them lightening and thunder.

Shonuff-Red-Glow.gif
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    If I lived in the US, or any of the rougher parts of the UK, I'd undoubtedly carry something that was purely defensive.
    Question: do you think that the entire US is dangerous?

Due to the larger wild animals and to relaxed firearms laws, yes. I wouldn't feel safe, personally.

Re animals - Size doesn't matter that much? Some of the most deadly animals in the world are about the size of a quarter (spiders). Animals are also generally fearful of humans, so the biggest danger most often comes from a large one deciding to walk into oncoming traffic and causing an accident. For the rest of the time, it's about not being stupid - if you know where the den is, don't go near it; don't leave out food (and if there is food around and they've found it, don't get between it and them); etc. (And yes, I lived in an area where black bears raided trash cans like raccoons if you left food scraps in them.)

As for the gun law thing, laws don't matter to people looking to do harm to others. There are also laws against assault, rape, and murder, as well as from carrying weapons onto school grounds and other "posted" areas. If those laws were actually useful in protecting people, there wouldn't be school shootings, assaults, murders, or rapes to begin with.

Additionally, here's an interesting article on the violent crime rates of the US vs the UK - http://wheelgun.blogspot.com/2007/01/crime-in-uk-versus-crime-in-us.html . In a nutshell, London has more violent crimes than New York City. Also, of note, violent crimes have been dropping across the board in the US since the late 90s, and gun laws, overall, haven't really changed (in fact, on the federal level, the "assualt rifles ban" expired a few years ago).

Regardless of the popularity of John Wayne and Chuck Norris in American culture, the United States is not some Wild West where everyone carries guns and settles disputes with 20 paces at high noon. We actually are a civilized society over here.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Well I do and I do not. The night stick comes standard on my body :laugh: :laugh:
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

If I lived in the US, or any of the rougher parts of the UK, I'd undoubtedly carry something that was purely defensive.

I love that you assume all of the US is rough. We're not all cowboys and gangsters here. lol

I love that you assumed I assumed that. :tongue:
    Yeah this comment had me scratching my head. I was born and raised in South Africa, have lived all over the US, in London and Berlin, and now live in a major US city, and I have to say, I felt more unsafe in London, Berlin and my homeland combined than I've ever felt here.

Seems people haven't read the whole comment. I also said in rougher parts of the UK - London included.

Our issue is that you said "in the US" as if the entire country is dangerous. Whether you meant it like that or not, that's how it came across.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options

Due to the larger wild animals and to relaxed firearms laws, yes. I wouldn't feel safe, personally.

Re animals - Size doesn't matter that much, you do realize that? Some of the most deadly animals in the world are about the size of a quarter (spiders). Animals are also generally fearful of humans, so the biggest danger most often comes from a large one deciding to walk into oncoming traffic and causing an accident. For the rest of the time, it's about not being stupid - if you know where the den is, don't go near it; don't leave out food (and if there is food around and they've found it, don't get between it and them); etc. (And yes, I lived in an area where black bears raided trash cans like raccoons if you left food scraps in them.)

As for the gun law thing, laws don't matter to people looking to do harm to others. There are also laws against assault, rape, and murder, as well as from carrying weapons onto school grounds and other "posted" areas. If those laws were actually useful in protecting people, there wouldn't be school shootings, assaults, murders, or rapes to begin with.

Additionally, here's an interesting article on the violent crime rates of the US vs the UK - http://wheelgun.blogspot.com/2007/01/crime-in-uk-versus-crime-in-us.html . In a nutshell, London has more violent crimes than New York City. Also, of note, violent crimes have been dropping across the board in the US since the late 90s, and gun laws, overall, haven't really changed (in fact, on the federal level, the "assualt rifles ban" expired a few years ago).

Regardless of the popularity of John Wayne and Chuck Norris in American culture, the United States is not some Wild West where everyone carries guns and settles disputes with 20 paces at high noon. We actually are a civilized society over here.

"When you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns."

I, for one, like living where lots of good, law abiding citizens are just as likely to be packin as the criminals.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

Re animals - Size doesn't matter that much? Some of the most deadly animals in the world are about the size of a quarter (spiders). Animals are also generally fearful of humans, so the biggest danger most often comes from a large one deciding to walk into oncoming traffic and causing an accident. For the rest of the time, it's about not being stupid - if you know where the den is, don't go near it; don't leave out food (and if there is food around and they've found it, don't get between it and them); etc. (And yes, I lived in an area where black bears raided trash cans like raccoons if you left food scraps in them.)

Another person who's read into what I've said in the completely wrong way, assumed I'm stereotyping based on Wild West movies and ignored what I've actually said.

Being in the UK and not in a neighbourhood common for dog-walking, or in a city with rabid foxes, I'm not at risk from ANY wild animals - except maybe a stray deer. My point is that if I lived in an area WITH large wild animals, things I could defend myself against if they came at me, I would aim to.

Additionally, as everyone seems to have ignored, I did say 'or in a rougher part of the UK'. I'm not saying 'OMG everyone kills everyone else in America, and the UK is totally safe!!!'.
  • lgwmab
    lgwmab Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I carry pepper spray with me, some creepy guys tend to hit on me all the time, so safety first! When I get my gun and concelled carry permet I will be packing when I go for my walks/runs.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

Re animals - Size doesn't matter that much, you do realize that? Some of the most deadly animals in the world are about the size of a quarter (spiders). Animals are also generally fearful of humans, so the biggest danger most often comes from a large one deciding to walk into oncoming traffic and causing an accident. For the rest of the time, it's about not being stupid - if you know where the den is, don't go near it; don't leave out food (and if there is food around and they've found it, don't get between it and them); etc. (And yes, I lived in an area where black bears raided trash cans like raccoons if you left food scraps in them.)

"When you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns."

I, for one, like living where lots of good, law abiding citizens are just as likely to be packin as the criminals.

:heart: :heart: :heart:
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

Our issue is that you said "in the US" as if the entire country is dangerous. Whether you meant it like that or not, that's how it came across.

I did, in so far as I would feel MUCH more at risk in the US than I would in the safest UK neighbourhoods.

Now this thread seems to have become about where I feel safest. Hm...
  • ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    It saddens me, how many seem to live in fear. :flowerforyou:
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Tons of posts about carrying mace and 1 advocate of carrying a gun.

Why not try running in a safer area or indoors?? My treadmill is pretty safe, the only thing I have to worry about is if someone who hasn't showered in weeks and is wearing a cut off (exposing armpits) jumps on the machine beside me.

I think prevention is better than protection. After all mace is only effective if used properly (assuming you even have the opportunity to use it).

Maybe I'm too logical...

Or maybe you live in Mayberry. Even my gym is hellaciously dangerous after dark.

And running outside is about 293084702837408270347 times more fun than running on a treadmill! I can do like 5 miles on a treadmill before I'm ready to call it quits out of boredom. But outside? 10-12 miles feels amazing.

I carry mace. I run in very safe, well lit, well populated areas (this one particular running trail in the middle of the city that everybody goes to is my favorite) but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I've never had to use it and hope I never will, but it gives me a little piece of mind when I'm by myself. It straps to my hand so I have it handy just in case. I probably don't need it considering where I run, but ya never know.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Tons of posts about carrying mace and 1 advocate of carrying a gun.

Why not try running in a safer area or indoors?? My treadmill is pretty safe, the only thing I have to worry about is if someone who hasn't showered in weeks and is wearing a cut off (exposing armpits) jumps on the machine beside me.

I think prevention is better than protection. After all mace is only effective if used properly (assuming you even have the opportunity to use it).

Maybe I'm too logical...

Or maybe you live in Mayberry. Even my gym is hellaciously dangerous after dark.

Thank You Yoovie!

We are not all blessed enough to be able to live in a completely safe neighborhood...and really anyone that thinks they are completely safe should really think again. Things happen EVERYWHERE.

So with that said...I carry my Beretta Tomcat!
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Options

I am anything but afraid....I am just ready to kick *kitten* if need be!
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Options

Another person who's read into what I've said in the completely wrong way, assumed I'm stereotyping based on Wild West movies and ignored what I've actually said.

Being in the UK and not in a neighbourhood common for dog-walking, or in a city with rabid foxes, I'm not at risk from ANY wild animals - except maybe a stray deer. My point is that if I lived in an area WITH large wild animals, things I could defend myself against if they came at me, I would aim to.

Additionally, as everyone seems to have ignored, I did say 'or in a rougher part of the UK'. I'm not saying 'OMG everyone kills everyone else in America, and the UK is totally safe!!!'.

I am so glad you found Oz!
  • 5ladybugs
    5ladybugs Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Ok I haven't read through all yet! Yikes! I've never had such a big topic lol
    To clearifly, I bought my spray purely out of fear of cougar/mountain lions. One was shot last month about 1/2 km from my house, another has been spotted daily about 1/4-1/2 km from my house. You can't run away from it. You have to scare it. The spray, which was bought in Canada and is legal is pepper spray but called Dog attack spray!
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options

Wait, are you referring to those that carry or those that don't?
  • idahopacker
    idahopacker Posts: 66 Member
    Options

My second biggest fear is having to kill something when my life in imminent danger.
  • 5ladybugs
    5ladybugs Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    When you live in an area where cougars have attacked humans, you have to be careful!
  • Lovinmama
    Lovinmama Posts: 38
    Options
    NO I never do, but i live on a safe island
  • KaciWood19
    KaciWood19 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Just because I'm careful does not mean I "live in fear". I carry pepper spray. I live in a small country town, and 5 years ago someone kidnapped and murdered a local teacher who was out jogging. I'm actually running in a 5k on Saturday that supports her memory and continuing work at the schools. Also, wild animals is something to think about in rural settings.