Do you carry protection when running?

Options

Replies

• Shenzi03
    Shenzi03 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I bring my husband...at 6'0", 220 lbs, he's all the protection I need!! :tongue:
  • maxnix
    maxnix Posts: 1
    Options
    Yes! Typically run with dogs, but I've also been carrying pepper spray for years - only used it once, against a pit bull, sans owner, that decided to get into it with my shepherd.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    you can even carry a gun but if you're not used to surprises then you will fail even with that
    i'd suggest taking up boxing or MMA

^^ There is nothing as good as taking a martial arts class. Really.

I can't believe people run with guns!!!! It just seems like a bad idea to me. It just makes me want to scream:

NEGLIGENT DISCHARGE HAPPENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Besides, I don't think running around my neighborhood with an AR-15 is a good idea :) What will the neighbors think????
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Question to those who carry defensive weapons when they're out - do you find it really hard to go out without it now?

We can't carry anything in the UK. I was just wondering.

No, not having one just forces me to pay more attention.
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I carry a folding knife. Never had to use it. Except that time i fell into a pricker bush and had to cut myself out.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    If I lived in the US, or any of the rougher parts of the UK, I'd undoubtedly carry something that was purely defensive.
    Question: do you think that the entire US is dangerous?

I live in the US and I think 90% of it is! LOL
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I run with mace attached to my keyring that my mom bought me. I normally don't hit the pavement till around 9:30pm and my "hood" isn't the greatest.

She is trying to talk me into a little blade.

And a gun...

My mom LOVES to buy 'ish like that...lol :laugh:
  • Hoakiebs
    Hoakiebs Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    You don't need as much protection from Cougars, at least if they've reached menopause, however, carry some just in case they have not!
  • fitoverfat
    fitoverfat Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I carry a 350,000 volt taser. :) Don't sneak up on me while I'm doing a log run...
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I have a conceal carry permit but I don't carry. I will use whatever weapon the attacker provides me. ;) I am not worried about carrying a weapon as I am a weapon. :D Anyway, for all of you that consider carrying a pistol or a knife, you must train with it. There is an old saying I have heard for many years during my training... "You will fight how you train!" In the event of an attack, actions have to happen like breathing, with no thought or analysis. Analysis takes too much valuable time. It must flow from you like walking.

That is my .02 cents worth.

^^again. YES. There's no point carrying weapons you won't use. And believe me, if you haven't practiced responding to threats, you probably won't use what you have. I have seen this trained out of women in martial arts....I don't get it but we are raised to beg for mercy or panic or some such *kitten* and it has to get practiced out of your system. Without the practice, these tools are useless....
    tho i do think women are more likely to spray mace on someone than a gun....so I vote for mace, if anything other than martial arts/self defense courses.
  • bella_babe_86
    bella_babe_86 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I live out in the country so its not so much the people that scare me so much as the stray dogs, coyotes, snakes etc. I do run with a pocket knife, pepper spray and my dog...He's tiny and useless for most stuff but he always spots/smells a critter before I do.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    No, but I'm 6' 3" and over 200 pounds. If someone comes after me, they're either well-armed or stupid.

To those thinking about carrying a knife - I'd urge you to think again unless you are very good in a knife-fight, as in have some actual training with a knife and are prepared to actually kill someone with it without hesitation or remorse. Think seriously about this. If you've got someone a lot bigger than you coming after you, or an animal, you DO NOT WANT a close-in weapon where you actually have to engage with them to defend yourself.

If someone much larger than you is on the attack, threatening them with a knife will sometimes make them stop,but it puts them in the position of deciding whether or not to proceed with the attack. And you're putting yourself in a situation where, if they DO decide to proceed with the attack, your response has to be rapid and fatal, and even then may be insufficient.

Pepper spray will blind them while you are still at a little distance, disabling them and greatly increasing your chances of escaping without injury. It requires very little skill to use. The chances of injuring yourself with it are lower, and since you aren't engaging with your assailant it's less likely they'll be able to take it from you and use it against you.

Pull it, spray it, run like HELL.

And it works really well on animals as well - animals that you simply aren't going to kill before you're very badly injured.

Excellent points!
  • acksaysbillthecat
    Options
    I thought I'd tell you what I do: I am a dog walker/biolgist, so I've had encounters with both attacking dogs and bears!
    If it's a dog, yell at it to "stop" and keep yelling this, it should at least slow down and then realize YOU ARE IN CHARGE! For example, I had a dog run at me last week while I was walking a client's dog, and I yelled" stop! stop! stop! stop!" and then it got the idea. For mountain lions, that is hard one as you won't hear them. Just realize that very few people have every seen one, and that odds are very against seeing one. If you do, act as big as you can, don't turn around and don't run! BAck away slowly with your hands over your head.

One of my crew members had a lion that was behind her, literally 8 feet away, she turned around and saw it. She had no clue it was there. She put up her hands over her head, and it turned around and walked away.

I know what you mean about being scared, I would go in the mountains by myself and was often scared of being attacked by a lion! But that's really really really rare.
  • bexblonde
    bexblonde Posts: 80
    Options
    Pepper spray is illegal in the UK, about the only thing I can actually carry for protection is a personal alarm, which I always take. I run around my neighbourhood streets and always run either in the morning or at lunchtime, when there are a lot of other people running around etc. I wouldn't feel safe running at night as I'm not allowed to carry anything that might actually injure someone :grumble:
  • xlolitabandita
    Options
    I don't bring protection, but I do always bring my cell phone. I also take precautions. I like to jog late at night sometimes when i can't sleep, so i drive my car to a very well-lit, nice neighborhood and jog there. My street isn't dangerous, it's just very dark. I avoid jogging in the park, as there is high drug activity there at night, and I always let my boyfriend know exactly where I'm going before I leave. It's probably a good idea brining the spray, just because you never know what might be lurking out side!
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I typically run with my lab mix. She deters most people. I once had someone ask me if I was walking a panther, she's that big.

If I'm running without her, I carry a push knife on a chain around my neck. It tucks into my cleavage nicely so I don't have to worry about it moving. I also always carry ID and my inhaler on me... You just never know...
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Tons of posts about carrying mace and 1 advocate of carrying a gun.

Why not try running in a safer area or indoors?? My treadmill is pretty safe, the only thing I have to worry about is if someone who hasn't showered in weeks and is wearing a cut off (exposing armpits) jumps on the machine beside me.

I think prevention is better than protection. After all mace is only effective if used properly (assuming you even have the opportunity to use it).

Maybe I'm too logical...

My puppy can't come to the gym with me...
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I have not carried protection while walking for years. However, recent changes in demographics in the neighboring states, and a couple of incidents have made me start carrying pepper spray. HOWEVER, I have a concealed weapon's permit. DH just bought me a great little concealed weapons holster. We will be going out to the shooting range soon for me to decide which of our pistols I will carry in it. My 38 is too big, but he has several smaller one I am going to try. I do need to be concerned about Mountain Lions on certain routes, but now I need to be aware of transient roughnecks traveling through our part of the state on the way to oilfields. One runner north west of here was abducted and murdered by transient oil field workers. DH wants me to be cautious.
  • bella_babe_86
    bella_babe_86 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    you can even carry a gun but if you're not used to surprises then you will fail even with that
    i'd suggest taking up boxing or MMA

^^ There is nothing as good as taking a martial arts class. Really.

I can't believe people run with guns!!!! It just seems like a bad idea to me. It just makes me want to scream:

NEGLIGENT DISCHARGE HAPPENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Besides, I don't think running around my neighborhood with an AR-15 is a good idea :) What will the neighbors think????

I couldnt leave this one alone...if you ran through my neighborhood carrying an AR-15, I'd quickly try to become your best friend!!!
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I always carry mace and a knife, but I'm usually running out in the desert and the knife is more incase I get cactus stuck in me or get hurt and end up stuck out there for a few days, I'd be prepared to eat an animal if I had to. Mace is to protect against coyotes and such. Third line of protection is my big black lab, she will eat your face. More importantly though, I always carry an ID, plenty of water, and I don't wear headphones on the rare occasion I'm running on the street. If you run with headphones in traffic, sorry but I don't consider you a runner, I just consider you a target. I also don't run outside at nighy, in the city, period. Last time I went running in the city, and this was in the daytime mind you, I had a beer bottle throw at my head. Again, I'm not going to label myself as a target. I'd rather take my chances in nature with the animals.